Menu

Treats for my chess club kiddos. I need "easy to make in bulk" treats that are GF, DF, CF

AimeeM

Not all at the same time :)

I have a couple elementary kiddos, in my elementary session, who are dairy-free and corn-free; I have several children in the middle/high school sessions who are GF. 

For the elementary session, I only need to make enough for about 6 (so df and cf for about 6), but in the middle/high school group, I need to make enough GF goodies for 12-15, plus their sibs and parents. 

My stand-by had been popcorn, until I realized several weren't eating it, and found out that they were had special dietary needs, so I'd really like something everyone can munch on - I don't want them to be excluded while the others are munching. 

Is there an easy-to-make-in-large-amounts cookie recipe I could use for special days, while deviating to popcorn and carrots/GF dip and apples for regular practices?

Not all at the same time :)

I have a couple elementary kiddos, in my elementary session, who are dairy-free and corn-free; I have several children in the middle/high school sessions who are GF. 

For the elementary session, I only need to make enough for about 6 (so df and cf for about 6), but in the middle/high school group, I need to make enough GF goodies for 12-15, plus their sibs and parents. 

My stand-by had been popcorn, until I realized several weren't eating it, and found out that they were had special dietary needs, so I'd really like something everyone can munch on - I don't want them to be excluded while the others are munching. 

Is there an easy-to-make-in-large-amounts cookie recipe I could use for special days, while deviating to popcorn and carrots/GF dip and apples for regular practices?

Everyone gets an apple and a handful of nuts. If you aren't allowed nuts, then everyone gets an apple and turkey cubes. If no meat, no dairy, no nuts, no gluten, and no corn, then you all are going to have to deal with hummus and carrots. Thankfully, I have never met a crowd that could not eat hummus and carrots with apples on the side.

To be honest that's what I bring for pretty much everything because it's so darn safe and healthy.

• Like 3

Everyone gets an apple and a handful of nuts. If you aren't allowed nuts, then everyone gets an apple and turkey cubes. If no meat, no dairy, no nuts, no gluten, and no corn, then you all are going to have to deal with hummus and carrots. Thankfully, I have never met a crowd that could not eat hummus and carrots with apples on the side.

To be honest that's what I bring for pretty much everything because it's so darn safe and healthy.

The kids like to munch throughout the session (which is two hours long), so I like to have things that are easy to grab and plentiful (cookies, carrots, sliced apples, popcorn, etc). The nuts are a great idea!

Seriously though, your plan sounds good and I'm sure your thoughtfulness is appreciated!

It just seems like there's something in my plan that somebody can't eat :(

The dairy free crowd can't eat the dip with their carrots; the corn free crowd can't eat the popcorn; the gluten free crowd can't eat the cookies. Short of serving it all, every session, so that everybody has something, I'm lost, lol.

potato chips

olives

bananas and other fruit

veggie tray with safe Italian or other dressing

Re dips: there are several that are great and dairy free. My go to is 1 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/4 to 1/2 cup honey. It gets rave reviews, and I'm asked for it often enough. Kids love it too. 

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 1

This is the best vegan and allergy free chocolate chip cookie recipe. I've searched long and hard for one that was really good.  I just sub water for the almond milk. They're super easy to make, and DF chocolate chips are fairly easy to find. You could probably sub shortening for the coconut oil. Nonallergy folks have asked me for the recipe. So good. 

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 1/3 cups Sarah's gluten free flour blend -- ( I use half Bob's Red Mill GF pizza crust mix and half brown or white rice flour)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 3/4 cup organic brown sugar -- (I use less sugar, maybe just a half cup brown and white, can't remember exactly)
  • 1/2 cup organic cane sugar -- ( I just use regular white sugar.)
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened -- (I usually melt mine and it works fine, pretty sure you could use shortening or another baking oil as a sub)
  • 1/4 cup So Deliciousunsweetened coconut milk, room temperature -- ( I just use water)
  • 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, room temperature -- (I skip or use pancake syrup)
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips -- ( I LOVE chocolate, but this is just too many chips for me. We use less. pretty sure you could skip altogether and just add some cocoa powder :))

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. -- (I don't use parchment paper and have never had a problem with sticking.)
  2. In medium bowl, sift together flour blend, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
  3. In large mixing bowl, cream together the brown sugar, sugar and coconut oil, 1-2 minutes.
  4. Add coconut milk, maple syrup, and vanilla. Mix until blended. Add the flour mixture and chocolate chips. Stir until just combined.
  5. Roll 2-tablespoon size scoops of cookie dough into balls and place onto prepared baking sheet. Slightly flatten with fingers.
  6. Bake cookies for 8-9 minutes. Cookies with be golden brown on edges and soft to the touch. Place on cooling rack to cool completely. Store in air-tight container.

http://www.sarahbakesgfree.com/2014/02/the-perfect-gluten-free-vegan-chocolate.html

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 1

This made me laugh. :) Seriously. You have a great plan.

We are the exception to the rule - you just can't win with food, or maybe we can't! DS is anaphylactic to sesame, so no hummus. And allergic to raw carrots (OAS). We never expect anyone to feed us though - it's too tricky. But I had to laugh at the hummus because I can't tell you how many parties at which I almost had a heart attack over hummus and little kid fingers smearing it everywhere. I never said a word. Honest. But I just told DH over the holidays that I'm so glad DS is old enough to know not to touch his mouth when we're at parties! So much easier now. (And seriously, hummus doesn't go airborne, it's a great choice).

Aimee, are you sure these kids are ok with stuff coming from someone else's kitchen? You might ask their parents first, and for ideas. :)

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 2

I do seasoned Chex (Rice is GF and CF, corn is GF), and one box makes 12 cups) for my groups. It's fairly easy to substitute for allergies. The kids don't seem to mind that it's not a "mix". If you have no nut allergies, muddy buddies with DF/GF chocolate, peanut or almond or soy butter, rice Chex, and powdered sugar is a sweet option.

Edited by dmmetler

Aimee, how is the chess club going? I remember when you were planning it, and I have been wondering how it turned out.

It's going really great! We're having some logistics issues right now regarding an odd issue where a lack of diversity is creating the lack of diversity. Vague, I know. Suffice it to say that if nobody is willing to be one of the first, or one of a few, we'll never be more diverse than we are now. 

Regardless...

Other than that, the kids are having a BLAST. Most sessions are ending in popcorn and foam sword fights, which I love to see. The kids and the parents are great. 

I'm still having a heck of a time getting contact through to anyone at our state's scholastic chess association. I'm trying to find out what is needed for my kids to participate in tournaments, but if nobody responds to my e-mails... well, yeah.

• Like 1

We are the exception to the rule - you just can't win with food, or maybe we can't! DS is anaphylactic to sesame, so no hummus. And allergic to raw carrots (OAS). We never expect anyone to feed us though - it's too tricky. But I had to laugh at the hummus because I can't tell you how many parties at which I almost had a heart attack over hummus and little kid fingers smearing it everywhere. I never said a word. Honest. But I just told DH over the holidays that I'm so glad DS is old enough to know not to touch his mouth when we're at parties! So much easier now. (And seriously, hummus doesn't go airborne, it's a great choice).

Aimee, are you sure these kids are ok with stuff coming from someone else's kitchen? You might ask their parents first, and for ideas. :)

Yep, I'm sure. The other day when I had out cookies and asked mom if her kids wanted a few, she replied that they were GF. When I offered carrots instead, with GF dip, she was a happy camper :)

I have already cleared treats with the parents (most of whom stick around for the sessions).

Yep, I'm sure. The other day when I had out cookies and asked mom if her kids wanted a few, she replied that they were GF. When I offered carrots instead, with GF dip, she was a happy camper :)

I have already cleared treats with the parents (most of whom stick around for the sessions).

Cool!

I want to come join your chess club! :)

This shortbread cookie is good and you can add flavors like lemon or almond extract, etc. to give flavor.  (Personally, I love adding finely chopped maraschino cherries and a splash of almond extract.  That's how we do shortbread here!)  Or drizzle with an appropriate chocolate that works for you.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free-coconut-flour-shortbread-cookies-recipe

This is the best vegan and allergy free chocolate chip cookie recipe. I've searched long and hard for one that was really good. I just sub water for the almond milk. They're super easy to make, and DF chocolate chips are fairly easy to find. You could probably sub shortening for the coconut oil. Nonallergy folks have asked me for the recipe. So good.

http://www.sarahbakesgfree.com/2014/02/the-perfect-gluten-free-vegan-chocolate.html

This recipe looks awesome! I've been looking for something to make when my nephew is around and these might fit the bill. (He's allergic to dairy, gluten, corn, berries, eggs, cinnamon, and beef, and maybe something else?)

If you're specifically looking for CF, just be aware that most baking powder has corn starch in it. You can make your own fairly easily I think.

• Like 1

It's going really great! We're having some logistics issues right now regarding an odd issue where a lack of diversity is creating the lack of diversity. Vague, I know. Suffice it to say that if nobody is willing to be one of the first, or one of a few, we'll never be more diverse than we are now.

Regardless...

Other than that, the kids are having a BLAST. Most sessions are ending in popcorn and foam sword fights, which I love to see. The kids and the parents are great.

I'm still having a heck of a time getting contact through to anyone at our state's scholastic chess association. I'm trying to find out what is needed for my kids to participate in tournaments, but if nobody responds to my e-mails... well, yeah.

That is great news! I am so glad it is going well.

As for participating in tournaments, there are no special qualifications. For unrated tournaments, you simply pay the registration fee, if any, and make sure you are in the correct section, for example, K-3.

For rated tournaments, you ask your kids to join USCF. There is a modest fee. It can all be done online -- you will instantly get a printed membership card. When you go to a tournament and play your first rated player, you get a USCF rating.

I am on an iPad, but will add links to tournament listings in a minute.

Here is a list of events that have already happened. Plug in your state and a date a few months previous and see what organizations are holding rated tournaments in your area. The go to their websites and check for upcoming tournaments.

http://www.uschess.org/datapage/event-search.php

You can also check USCF listings of upcoming tournaments, but not all organizations advertise there.

http://www.uschess.org/tlas/upcoming.php

Edited by Alessandra

That is great news! I am so glad it is going well.

As for participating in tournaments, there are no special qualifications. For unrated tournaments, you simply pay the registration fee, if any, and make sure you are in the correct section, for example, K-3.

For rated tournaments, you ask your kids to join USCF. There is a modest fee. It can all be done online -- you will instantly get a printed membership card. When you go to a tournament and play your first rated player, you get a USCF rating.

I am on an iPad, but will add links to tournament listings in a minute.

That's what I wasn't sure about - when to register and for what. What associations they need to join, when, etc. When DD last participated, the school chess admin took care of all that, so I'm pretty lost on the logistics end. Where does it say if they are rated or unrated?

That's what I wasn't sure about - when to register and for what. What associations they need to join, when, etc. When DD last participated, the school chess admin took care of all that, so I'm pretty lost on the logistics end. Where does it say if they are rated or unrated?

There are some links in my last post. You answered so quickly!

The description of the tournament will list the sections. Examples:

Unrated K-6

Unrated K-12

Rated Under 600

Rated Under 1200

Open

People can always play up, but not down. You want to look for a tournament that has basic sections, that is U 600, not U1800.

This should get you to the membership section of USCF. Usually parents sign up their own kids and pay by credit card. Most tournaments have online registration.

http://www.uschess.org/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,323/

Edited by Alessandra

Look at Paleo. Paleoparents.com has a lot of kid friendly ideas.

In our house we have GF, DF, CF among other things. Here is what is popular in our house.

Fruit

Rice crackers, Nabisco makes some my kids love

Veggies, carrots, red pepper slices etc. dip optional, but you can make a dairy free ranch. Look for Paleo ranch

Chips, but you have to read labels because a lot of the seasonings have maltodextrin which can be corn.

Rice cakes, be careful with flavored ones because they often have corn.

Granola bars, but anyone GF probably won't eat oats but they work for the other crowd.

Lunch meat but read labels for corn.

Rice chex are free of all those, granola (but again, GF won't do oats), There are others that are GF but not corn free.

Also, most prepackaged GF treats are not CF. Xantham gum is typically used and that is made from corn.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Plateau Mama
  • Like 1

I do seasoned Chex (Rice is GF and CF, corn is GF), and one box makes 12 cups) for my groups. It's fairly easy to substitute for allergies. The kids don't seem to mind that it's not a "mix". If you have no nut allergies, muddy buddies with DF/GF chocolate, peanut or almond or soy butter, rice Chex, and powdered sugar is a sweet option.

Chex is my go-to in various forms as it is fairly easy to adapt:)

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/gluten-free-chex-school-fuel/42a9f550-6d8f-4b18-b433-a994745cc174

So if I keep them unrated for now, they only pay the registration fee for the tournament, not the USCF membership, right?

I'd like them to get a tournament under their belt before asking them to become USCF members.

ETA: I just looked. Do my 16 year olds have to participate against adults??? It looks like the scholastic and youth memberships stop at age 15. Or is that just for the membership (and does it have nothing to do with the scholastic tournaments)?

There are some links in my last post. You answered so quickly!

The description of the tournament will list the sections. Examples:

Unrated K-6
Unrated K-12
Rated Under 600
Rated Under 1200
Open

People can always play up, but not down. You want to look for a tournament that has basic sections, that is U 600, not U1800.

This should get you to the membership section of USCF. Usually parents sign up their own kids and pay by credit card. Most tournaments have online registration.

http://www.uschess.org/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,323/

• Like 1

I don't actually mean to kerfuff. ;) My thought just went straight to my fingers. But, yeah, I don't like our food based society. Sorry!

New verb of the day: Kerfuff! Love it.

As a multiple LTFA mom, I'm with you on the food thing, but, ummmm, you and I are in the minority' here. Go Food-At-Home Team!

(Ducking and running now, as I expect cupcakes to be flung)

• Like 1

It just seems like there's something in my plan that somebody can't eat :(

The dairy free crowd can't eat the dip with their carrots; the corn free crowd can't eat the popcorn; the gluten free crowd can't eat the cookies. Short of serving it all, every session, so that everybody has something, I'm lost, lol.

Oh, oops...seemed like a plan to me! I was reading the op as fruit and veg for the no corn group and fruit, veg and popcorn for the other group.

So if I keep them unrated for now, they only pay the registration fee for the tournament, not the USCF membership, right?

I'd like them to get a tournament under their belt before asking them to become USCF members.

ETA: I just looked. Do my 16 year olds have to participate against adults??? It looks like the scholastic and youth memberships stop at age 15. Or is that just for the membership (and does it have nothing to do with the scholastic tournaments)?

They can play in an unrated section whether or not they are USCF members, as long as they have no rating. Once rated, cannot play in an unrated section. Do your kids use chess clocks? Notation? It would be best if they are familiar with these for rated sections. Many tournaments with unrated sections sort of teach kids as they go along and do not have time controls or use clocks or require notation.

Your 16 year old can still play in scholastic tournaments. The USCF membership fee is a few dollars more for 15 and older. If you want to save money, get the membership that does not include a print chess magazine.

Edited by Alessandra

Is it time to kerfluff about activity snacks. I vote not necessary. Especially with all the different dietary restrictions. It seems there is always someone who can't eat something. If there must be food everyone should bring their own.

Op, I think it is great you want to serve something everyone can enjoy.

• Like 2

Oh my lord, I have finally met someone who is allergic to my all-purpose vegan protein + fiber standby!

We can't make anything in our home--I'm pretty sure simply breathing in our kitchen would give a nut-allergy owner a near-death experience. So we have to buy hummus in mini-packages but usually there is either soy or sesame or both in there.

We have had many friends with many different food restrictions, requirements, allergies, and preferences, and I do try. I don't find it hard to accommodate most times. 

Fresh fruits and veggies and a variety of packaged proteins still do usually help. Plus, if they fill a kid up, it's no loss. I am out of the activity snack debate. You want a snack, I bring a snack. Of course, few of our activities have snacks, so that's easy for me to say.

An apple or banana is a very healthy snack for nearly everyone. Screw the protein, LOL!

• Like 1

They can play in an unrated section whether or not they are USCF members, as long as they have no rating. Once rated, cannot play in an unrated section. Do your kids use chess clocks? Notation? It would be best if they are familiar with these for rated sections. Many tournaments with unrated sections sort of teach kids as they go along and do not have time controls or use clocks or require notation.

Your 16 year old can still play in scholastic tournaments. The USCF membership fee is a few dollars more for 15 and older. If you want to save money, get the membership that does not include a print chess magazine.

I'm going to buy some clocks next week, actually. I thought it would be good for them to practice on. We're also moving some of the bigger kids into notation soon, too. 

I was worried that if I bought the USCF membership for the older guys in the group, they would be mandated to the U24 crowd, putting them against adults only (no scholastic) - glad to hear that isn't so, lol.

Is it time to kerfluff about activity snacks. I vote not necessary. Especially with all the different dietary restrictions. It seems there is always someone who can't eat something. If there must be food everyone should bring their own.

Op, I think it is great you want to serve something everyone can enjoy.

Nah. No kerfluff, lol.

I know it isn't necessary, but I enjoy doing it and they enjoy having it. Win win :)

• Like 1

Can you do rice Krispy treats or chez mix if you use a butter substitute and a gf cereal for the chez?

GF rice krispy treats seem like a really great idea. I can have popcorn for them to throw besides, lol (because it usually ends up that way, not in their mouths).

Double check for vegans before doing krispy treats!  :D

My aunt made puffed quinoa treats that were *awesome*.  She's GF and got sick of rice krispy treats, I guess.  She did put a chocolate topping on them, but of course dairy comes into play there.

I can't seem to find puffed quinoa anywhere in my area.

Make it BYOS (bring your own snack) and call it a day. I totally get dietary restrictions, having a food allergy self and child, but you are way nicer than me to bend to all these different needs.

I'm going to buy some clocks next week, actually. I thought it would be good for them to practice on. We're also moving some of the bigger kids into notation soon, too.

I was worried that if I bought the USCF membership for the older guys in the group, they would be mandated to the U24 crowd, putting them against adults only (no scholastic) - glad to hear that isn't so, lol.

Kids can play in either scholastic or adult, no matter what the rating.

Btw, don't be scared of adults. In chess, they learn much more slowly. Their ratings are much more consistent than those of kids. What you need to be scared of is an 8 year old whose mind is developing fast and is ready to gain rating points by beating you and everyone else.

In regular, non scholastic tournaments, kids and adults play together. Age means nothing. It is completely irrelevant. Rating is everything. One mom I know tells a story about her kids team of under 10 year olds who played a team from New York University. The NYU team acted insulted to be playing little kids. The kids smashed them, lol.

One difference between scholastic and adult tournaments is that kids get trophies if they win. Huge trophies. Open tournaments have cash prizes, sometimes quite substantial. See Millionaire Chess. My ds has picked up several hundred dollars, plus free entry to other tournaments, just this fall. As kids get higher ranked, they want a chance at money.

It will be good practice for you kids to use chess clocks. Getting the right pace so that you do not run down on time needs practice.

• Like 1