Menu

Easy vegetarian dishes

AimeeM

DD14 is, as of a month or so ago, a vegetarian.

The rest of the family has no desire to go in that direction :D I can easily move around several of our regular family favorites to turn them into vegetarian dishes, and simply section off before I add meat or meat products.

But, DH is also going low carb (diet, diabetic reasons), so for nights when we just have a meat and a vegetable, I'd like something healthy, heavy on the protein, filling and vegetarian that I can serve DD alongside her vegetables.

• Like 2

I make this for our family a lot.  It's filling, and the black eyed peas are the protein (you can leave out the sausage from the recipe as written to make it veggie).  Not hugely healthy if low-carb is your standard.  But it's good for a main dish serving for a kid that likely does need some carbs if the side dishes are all straight vegetarian.

Dead easy, too.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/one-dish-black-eyed-pea-cornbread

Dal is my go-to.  

I made lentil and mushroom madeira (in fact, any wine will probably do - I used some left-over white) this week and it was good too:

For lentil and mushroom madeira 2 Tablespoons olive oil Ă‚Â½ yellow onion, finely diced (Ă‚Â½ cup) or 1 shallot, finely diced 8 ounces brown mushrooms, sliced (2Ă‚Â½ cups) 1 Tablespoon whole wheat flour 3 cups cooked brown lentils Ă‚Â½ cup madeira wine Ă‚Â¼ cup low-sodium vegetable broth Ă‚Â½ teaspoon kosher salt Ă‚Â½ teaspoon black pepper 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes. Add flour and whisk together, cooking for about 1 minute. 2. Add lentils, wine, broth, salt, and pepper. Allow to cook for 5 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and season with parsley

• Like 3

Google "low carb vegetarian recipes" and there will be a lot of hits. You can always add in carbs for the kids and this way your DH could eat it too. I suspect it would be easy to add meat for those who want it. We've eaten vegetarian for years, but have recently added in fish once a week and poultry every couple of weeks. My spouse is now diabetic, so I am trying to find low carb meals to make.

Also, you might check out Saving Dinner the Low Carb Way and Saving Dinner the Vegetarian Way. There are some recipes in there that are simple to adapt as the need arises.

This also might be a good chance to have DD involved in the planning/process.  I became a vegetarian around the same age, and my parents only let me do it with the understanding that I was responsible for my own cooking and nutrition.  I'm not saying that you should do that necessarily, but I will say that I learned A TON about healthy eating as a vegetarian, skills that have been super helpful in life.   Having her sit down with a vegetarian recipe book from the library also might help her come up with ideas by seeing the sections, and recognizing the options out there.

Good luck!

• Like 3

I'd probably make (or buy) a bunch of veggie burgers and freeze them. My oldest likes them bunless. Most recipes you could shape into un-meatballs too.

This was what dd started of with when she first went vegetarian (16 mos ago). She also likes some of the pre-made fake meat things like spicy chick'n patties and chick'n strips. I keep buns on hand and these are convenient when she doesn't want to cook.

Things that have been winners for easy family vegetarian meals are soups (bean and vegetable), pastas, and mexican (she just uses refried beans &/or cheese in place of meat). 

• Like 1

I also have one vegetarian in a houseful of omnivores.  Nobody here does low-carb, though, so that makes it harder.

I'm all about leftovers and freezing.  We do 2 veggie nights a week for everybody, and I save the leftovers for S on the nights the rest of us are eating chicken or fish.  Whenever I make chili, I make a large quantity of a veggie version for her and save/freeze the leftovers.  Often she'll have chili or black beans atop a baked potato.  Whenever I make quinoa, I make extra, then one night do up a bunch of quinoa patties/"veggie burgers", chuck her one that night and freeze the rest.  (I prefer these to using processed fake meats, though Costco does makes a chipotle black bean burger than she likes whose ingredients aren't *too* disheartening, so I pick up a big old sack of them for the freezer as well).  Whenever I make pasta, I make extra quantities, and give her leftovers maybe with mozzarella balls or something the next day.  On a truly off day or when I just forget until the last minute (I've been juggling this for nearly 6 years, mind you!) I give her rice and beans, or chuck her a hard boiled egg which I always keep on hand.

But all that said, I really don't worry too much about protein per se.  I toss lentils into the rice, nuts into the salad, slivered almonds into the green vegetables, etc and very often I just decide that's enough.  We really don't need nearly as much protein as most Americans eat.

• Like 5

If I can throw in a random question (and thanks for the ideas everyone!)...

Is it normal to gain quite a bit of weight when you first go vegetarian? DD has gained about 20 lbs in the past month or so. She isn't eating crap, and has always enjoyed vegetables, beans, etc... but she IS eating quite a bit more than she did when she ate meat.

(deleting this reply tomorrow - please don't quote)

Given the age, has she stopped growing? Could she be about to shoot up? Does she get regular exercise? My dd gained a bit when she stopped gymnastics (this was a good thing though). Now we do TKD and she isn't gaining but isn't losing either.

Is she eating high calorie/carb veggies (aka white potatoes, carrots)? Does she eat salads? Is she living on cheese and ice cream (my overweight veggie sister's vices)?

It is fully possible to be an overweight vegetarian so it might be time to pull out some nutrition books and see if she needs to rethink where she is getting her calories. You don't need to bring up the weight gain but phrase it more along the lines of making sure you guys are doing everything right.

• Like 1

My son just announced on his 17th birthday (12/22) that he is now a vegetarian.  He hasn't eaten meat since this.  His older brother came home to visit over the holidays and he's gone veggie as well.  So he was a big influence.  Anyway, I am currently juggling cooking for meat eaters and vegetarians as well.  I kinda went vegetarian too in solidarity with 17 yo, now that I think about it.....

Anyway, I really appreciate this thread!  I am planning my dinners for a 3 week rotation.  I've got this so far:  Sundays often my dh grills so 1) grilled portobello sub, 2) veggie burger 3) veggie kabobs.  Mondays is Mediterranean night 1) lasagna or pasta 2) Greek salad 3) falafel gyros. Tuesdays is pizza and caesar salad night (I teach on Tuesday afternoons so I am just going to splurge and pick up this on the way home from the pizza shop on the way).  Wednesdays is Asian night 1) egg fried rice 2) sesame noodles 3)????? Don't have anything yet.  Thursdays - breakfast for dinner 1)French toast 2) pancakes or waffles 3) omelets  Fridays - potato night! 1) potato casserole 2) stuffed potatoes 3) potato cheese soup.

For breakfast he pretty much eats an egg in the hole every morning or sometimes cheese and bread.

For lunch we've got pb&j, leftovers, burritos, nachos.   I keep the Mexican stuff for lunch because my dh doesn't really care for Mexican food.

Sorry for thinking out loud but this thread is very timely for me!

Anybody got a good Asian style meatless meal?  I need one for the Wednesday night rotation!  Thanks.

• Like 2

Anybody got a good Asian style meatless meal? I need one for the Wednesday night rotation! Thanks.

Pad Thai? I can't post a link right now, but I adapt the easy Pad Thai recipe on the Brownies for Dinner blog. Double the noodles, quadruple the sauce, saute a bag of carrot/cabbage slaw mix before adding the eggs. I also leave out the cilantro (or sub parsley) and sub lemon for the lime, but that's a personal taste preference.

• Like 2

Given the age, has she stopped growing? Could she be about to shoot up? Does she get regular exercise? My dd gained a bit when she stopped gymnastics (this was a good thing though). Now we do TKD and she isn't gaining but isn't losing either.

Is she eating high calorie/carb veggies (aka white potatoes, carrots)? Does she eat salads? Is she living on cheese and ice cream (my overweight veggie sister's vices)?

It is fully possible to be an overweight vegetarian so it might be time to pull out some nutrition books and see if she needs to rethink where she is getting her calories. You don't need to bring up the weight gain but phrase it more along the lines of making sure you guys are doing everything right.

She isn't overweight, but is teetering at the top end of normal, I think.

She does get regular exercise, but is more of an artsy, chess playing kind of gal. She walks MILES every day, though - it's her "thing," lol.

She eats a fair bit of junk food, but by no means is that all she eats. She loves vegetables and potatoes, etc. She never feels like she's had enough to eat, which concerns me a bit. I do make sure she has access to proteins and starches, etc. 

ETA: Never mind. I think the weight gain can be more tied to her stopping her ADD medication, which makes a lot of sense. Hopefully things will even out.

Edited by AimeeM
  • Like 1

Faithr, any stir fry I do, I do the vegetables all together; cook the chicken or beef separately (it's better that way anyway; you can slice thin once cooked and the meat doesn't dry out or toughen), and fry up a good firm tofu separately; and then separate at the end to mix in a meat version and a tofu version.  Learning to use tofu was a game-changer.

• Like 2

To my astonishment, last June, my wife told us that we are now Vegetarians. The reason for that was that she had watched 1 or more videos, showing how they slaughter cattle, pigs and chickens.  I am not 100% Vegetarian and am allowed to eat meat/chicken, if Stepson or his wife prepares it, or if I am in a restaurant somewhere.

One dish I mentioned to my wife is Cheese Blintzes and she read up about how to make them and has made them several times.

Spaghetti is something we eat with a Sauce I buy in a little package.

With regard to Diabetes: One of my Facebook friends (someone from the original web forum for my favorite singer/band) participated in a Social Media event in November, to publicize an event that was held in December, in Spain, to draw attention to the industry in Europe where they slaughter animals, to make clothing for humans. "Animals Need their Skin, Wear Yours".  Her part of that was to have a photo made of her in her "Birthday Suit", holding a sign about this cause, so you cannot see anything intimate, but she could be in Playboy...

I began following that group on Facebook and one thing that really caught my interest was that Vegetarians have a 50% lower chance of getting Diabetes. If that is true, that is awesome.   My late best friend had Diabetes, and possibly in the last email he sent to me, before he passed away, was "I believe all of my medical problems were caused by my Diabetes".

There was something on Facebook from Israel, within the past few weeks, that there are 300,000 Vegetarians in Tel Aviv.  From that I suspect that *many* traditional Jewish recipes would be in the Vegetarian category and that you will find many recipes in a book about Vegetarian Jewish dishes..

My dd didn't gain weight going vegetarian, but I gained weight when she did. The reason was, I used more pastas and cheeses instead of lean meats. It took a little time to find more meals that didn't require me to binge on carbs or fat. 

You are probably right about her weight gain being about going off meds. However, you might also look at what she quit eating v what she is eating now and see if that is part of the issue.

That's a big increase in a month. (And I gain weight verrrrrrrry easily!) Any potential thyroid issues?

No thyroid issues (they run in the family and I make them check her fairly frequently).

She went from never eating (never felt hungry on the meds; we had to make her eat once daily), to eating everything. Me thinks that since she had been on the medication for so long (since age 7), and it killed her appetite, that she simply doesn't understand her body cues regarding hunger. I don't think she's hungry - I think she just thinks she is if she isn't full. KWIM?

I would also make sure that she is eating a good amount of healthy fat to help her feel satiated---a handful of nuts, avocado, etc.  This is a great time to talk about nutrition, caloric intake, etc.  Maybe an app that helps look at her balance of carbs/fats/protein & her vitamins like My Fitness Pal?

There are some consequences to long term vegetarianism if one does not take care to eat healthily. A, D, B12, carnitine, long chain fatty acids.... She will need to be conscientious about what she chooses to eat.

Anybody got a good Asian style meatless meal?  I need one for the Wednesday night rotation!  Thanks.

We love, love, love this Tofu Keema.... just cut the tomato sauce to about 1/6th of what they say. (6 Cups?? No, not really. Otherwise, delish.)

Also, this Potato Curry is outstanding - warm and satisfying - with chick peas for protein. We sub in spinach instead of kale because we always have it in the fridge. I also sub in whatever milk alternative I have around for the cashew milk because I am a lazy old lady.

PS: OP, if your dh is concerned about controlling diabetes, he might want to jump on the veggie bandwagon with your dd!

Applause, applause for you for supporting your daughter and her veggie choices. :)

Edited by Jen in NY
  • Like 2

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/230246599675410285/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/312226186644925795/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/56787645279503324/(portobello fajitas)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/344173596500317261/(mashed chickpea salad)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/43347215139197256/(mexican quinoa one dish)

A number of things could also be made into lettuce wraps.... I'd give her the opportunity to make a pinboard of things she wants to try.

Today I made a lentil curry for lunch. So yummy.

3 Tbl coconut oil

3 Tbl minced ginger

3 cloves garlic, minced

8 scallions whites and green chopped and separated.

1 Tbl curry powder

4 medium carrots, chopped

1 or 2 potatoes chopped

1 cup lentils

4 cups vegetable stock

3/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

Heat oil over medium high. Add ginger, garlic, and scallion whites. Saute until softened, about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in curry powder. Add carrots, potatoes,and lentils. Add broth, salt and pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook until lentils are soft, about 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Garnish with scallion greens. Serve with naan and lime wedges or over rice.

I also added some turmeric because I throw turmeric in just about everything.

Edited by kewb
  • Like 1

PS: OP, if your dh is concerned about controlling diabetes, he might want to jump on the veggie bandwagon with your dd!

Applause, applause for you for supporting your daughter and her veggie choices. :)

He is definitely not interested in going vegetarian even a little bit, lol :P

His diabetes is actually doing GREAT - I'm really proud of him. His doctor has lowered his main medication (cut the dosage in half) and completely taken him off another. 

Now he's just trying to lose weight in general.

• Like 3

Thought of this when I was doing my own meal planning. I know cauliflower is a bit sparse and expensive lately, but the Cauliflower Chowder on Damn Delicious is probably my favorite soup recipe. Tastes a lot like potato soup, without the heavy carbs, and the meaty people can crumble bacon on top.

Pad Thai?  You'd need to buy the vegan fish sauce

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/easy-pad-thai-51222610

Ma Po Tofu?  You'd need to leave out or substitute the ground pork, and use vegetable broth

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/ma-po-tofu-103565

To be clear, I've never made either recipe.  I'm just sharing some of my favorite vegetarian Asian foods.  

Just stopping in to tell all you supportive mamas: good job!!!

When I went vegetarian after going off to college (something I had long known I would do as soon as I left home), my parents were *awful* about it. The amount of disrespect and judgement surrounding my (very quiet, very personal and very well researched) decision was utterly demeaning. Without going into the details of ridiculousness of their reaction, I just want to say, on behalf of all your kids ( because yes, I CAN speak for them lol), Thank You for being awesome and respecting their beliefs!

:)

Seriously, you ROCK for helping them out.

• Like 2

She isn't overweight, but is teetering at the top end of normal, I think.

She does get regular exercise, but is more of an artsy, chess playing kind of gal. She walks MILES every day, though - it's her "thing," lol.

She eats a fair bit of junk food, but by no means is that all she eats. She loves vegetables and potatoes, etc. She never feels like she's had enough to eat, which concerns me a bit. I do make sure she has access to proteins and starches, etc.

ETA: Never mind. I think the weight gain can be more tied to her stopping her ADD medication, which makes a lot of sense. Hopefully things will even out.

My dd eats like a starved child on the weekends because she only takes her ADHD meds on school days. She still needs to learn what normal full feels like so make sure she isn't grazing more than she should.

I'd keep a stash of veggie burritos on hand . . . brown rice, beans, cheese, and lots of veggies are filling and satisfying and they freeze really well.

If she's not big on Mexican flavors, I'd focus on building a stash of something she does like. Maybe whole wheat veggie pizzas? Or meatless minestrone soup with chickpeas?

Just stopping in to tell all you supportive mamas: good job!!!

When I went vegetarian after going off to college (something I had long known I would do as soon as I left home), my parents were *awful* about it. The amount of disrespect and judgement surrounding my (very quiet, very personal and very well researched) decision was utterly demeaning. Without going into the details of ridiculousness of their reaction, I just want to say, on behalf of all your kids ( because yes, I CAN speak for them lol), Thank You for being awesome and respecting their beliefs!

:)

Seriously, you ROCK for helping them out.

We're as supportive as we are because I saw the way my parents treated the same decision when it was made by my step-sister (when my sister was a teen). I remember tossing oreos under her door because She Who Must Not Be Named decided that if her daughter wasn't going to eat what was served (which was always meat, for most meals) she wasn't going to eat. There was no option for "make your own meal if you don't like what I make," either.

Not. Happening. Here. No children will be starved in this house because they decide they have an ethical (or otherwise) problem with eating something. 

Seriously - I have food issues about NOT making food an issue because of the stunts my parents pulled with my sister. I almost go to an extreme sometimes (as in, my children are generally catered to with regards to meals). 

Our only caveat with Autumn is that she remain healthy regarding her diet. We have a family history of anemia and we want to make sure she is getting enough of the nutrients her body needs.

She is quickly finding that she hates most meat "alternatives" (seriously, though, the fake bacon smelled and looked like dog treats, so she threw them out, lol). The veggie burgers were a miss, too. She's finding the most success when I simply alter one of her stand-by favorites (iow, leave the meat products out and add more vegetables).

She does still cave occasionally when I make something like meatloaf. She can't seem to resist it :D

Me thinks she also snitched some sesame chicken on NYE when we ordered chinese, too :D

My dd eats like a starved child on the weekends because she only takes her ADHD meds on school days. She still needs to learn what normal full feels like so make sure she isn't grazing more than she should.

Oddly enough, when she came home today (she had been out shopping with her Nana), she made a similar comment - that she needs to eat less. I was having a hard time talking to her about it because eating disorders run rampant in our family (anorexia, bulimia) so I didn't want to cause an issue there. She recognized it herself, though.

When I go shopping next, we're going to buy plenty of veggies, pre-cut them and put them in easy-to-grab containers, so that she can munch. One of her favorite treats is sliced bell pepper, so we'll make a Costco run :D

I'd keep a stash of veggie burritos on hand . . . brown rice, beans, cheese, and lots of veggies are filling and satisfying and they freeze really well.

If she's not big on Mexican flavors, I'd focus on building a stash of something she does like. Maybe whole wheat veggie pizzas? Or meatless minestrone soup with chickpeas?

That's a great idea. She loves burritos. What kind of beans go well? Black beans? She loves a salsa that DH makes to go with shrimp fajitas... it's corn, beans, pimientos, and a few other seasonings. It would go well in a burrito with cheese. What other kind of veggies would go nicely? Do you have a favorite type of brown rice? (we've tried it before and, for some reason, even my rice lovers hated brown rice)

That's a great idea. She loves burritos. What kind of beans go well? Black beans? She loves a salsa that DH makes to go with shrimp fajitas... it's corn, beans, pimientos, and a few other seasonings. It would go well in a burrito with cheese. What other kind of veggies would go nicely? Do you have a favorite type of brown rice? (we've tried it before and, for some reason, even my rice lovers hated brown rice)

I like brown rice, so I don't really think about the kinds. I just by "brown" White works too. If you want to convert her to brown you can ease her in with a brown/white blend, but you'd have to cook them separately. As for beans, use black or pintos. You can even go with canned refried beans. For vegetables, I like spinach, bell peppers, corn, mushrooms, jalapeĂƒÂ±os, and olives. I hear avocados freeze well, but I haven't tried it. I do mix yogurt and salsa to put in my freezer burritos because yogurt freezes better than sour cream.

I feel secure when I have burritos in my freezer because just one of them is a complete and satisfying meal. Breakfast burritos are nice too, but I've never frozen them. When I make burritos, I spread the whole pack of large tortillas out on my counter and just assembly line them. My family doesn't want Mexican-style food as often as I do so this way I can feed my craving without them complaining so much.

We eat a wide variety of rice because my dh is gluten free... and when we switched to plant based/whole foods we were looking for brown rice to replace the different kinds of white rice we were used to eating (Jasmine, Basmati, Sushi, etc). We found the 'Rice Select' Texmati or Jasmine rice from the grocery store to be amazing... and really expensive (2# for $8). Someone turned us on to the local asian market, and there we can buy a 20# bag of fantastic brown jasmine rice for $17 (FWIW it is B.C.N. Brand Thai Brown Jasmine). It is really delicious and we like it *so* much better than the standard brown rice sold in the grocery store. I am also amazed by the varieties available at that market! So, if you haven't found a brown rice you like yet, it doesn't mean there isn't one out there. :)

We make burritos here with a diced onion, 1can each Goya black and small red beans, I can diced tomatoes, 1 1/2 C frozen corn, 2 TCumin, 1 T Chili Powder, many shakes of Tabasco, and a tablespoon or two of bulgur wheat (for thickening...  a few oats would work, too.) We like it spicy - and cook it all down, adding water along the way, until everything looks soft and yummy. Throw it in a burrito with leftover brown rice. Yum - any time of day - perfect.

My son just announced on his 17th birthday (12/22) that he is now a vegetarian. He hasn't eaten meat since this. His older brother came home to visit over the holidays and he's gone veggie as well. So he was a big influence. Anyway, I am currently juggling cooking for meat eaters and vegetarians as well. I kinda went vegetarian too in solidarity with 17 yo, now that I think about it.....

Anyway, I really appreciate this thread! I am planning my dinners for a 3 week rotation. I've got this so far: Sundays often my dh grills so 1) grilled portobello sub, 2) veggie burger 3) veggie kabobs. Mondays is Mediterranean night 1) lasagna or pasta 2) Greek salad 3) falafel gyros. Tuesdays is pizza and caesar salad night (I teach on Tuesday afternoons so I am just going to splurge and pick up this on the way home from the pizza shop on the way). Wednesdays is Asian night 1) egg fried rice 2) sesame noodles 3)????? Don't have anything yet. Thursdays - breakfast for dinner 1)French toast 2) pancakes or waffles 3) omelets Fridays - potato night! 1) potato casserole 2) stuffed potatoes 3) potato cheese soup.

For breakfast he pretty much eats an egg in the hole every morning or sometimes cheese and bread.

For lunch we've got pb&j, leftovers, burritos, nachos. I keep the Mexican stuff for lunch because my dh doesn't really care for Mexican food.

Sorry for thinking out loud but this thread is very timely for me!

Anybody got a good Asian style meatless meal? I need one for the Wednesday night rotation! Thanks.

Do you eat tofu? Have you tried veggie potstickers? Edited by solascriptura

My oldest son is a strict vegan. He no longer lives with us, but when he came here for Christmas, he went shopping with me to get the proper ingredients. He made Christmas dinner for us, and it was pretty good. I must admit, though, that I don't get the whole idea of using fake meat stuff. 

My youngest son did a full year of being vegetarian to just prove that he could. 

My oldest son is a strict vegan. He no longer lives with us, but when he came here for Christmas, he went shopping with me to get the proper ingredients. He made Christmas dinner for us, and it was pretty good. I must admit, though, that I don't get the whole idea of using fake meat stuff.

My youngest son did a full year of being vegetarian to just prove that he could.

I agree about the fake meats. They are so processed that I'm pretty sure any nutrition benefit is minimal. I was a vegetarian for 5 years as a kid. To this day, I am the most adventurous eater of all my siblings and my produce intake is probably triple of all of them.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

I heard that tempeh is the least process and probably the most good for you.  I think I read it at that Mark Apple site (is that what is it called?).  I don't usually go there but I have a couple of times because it has been linked to other articles.  Anyway, I think he did the run through of how healthy each meat substitute was and he actually eats tempeh.  Of course, you might not agree with him or hold his opinion in much respect because he is most definitely a meat eater!  But I found his comment interesting.  And he has a high bar about the definition of processed food is and if it passed his test, then I am interested in trying it.

Not probably what you're looking for, but DS1 went vegetarian too on January 1st.  He had Trader Joe's Mandarin Orange chicken-less chicken....and we had their normal Mandarin Orange chicken.  It was really good.  I cooked his in the pan first, and then did ours.  :)   

Second the Indian food... also some Middle Eastern dishes are naturally vegetarian.  

Not probably what you're looking for, but DS1 went vegetarian too on January 1st.  He had Trader Joe's Mandarin Orange chicken-less chicken....and we had their normal Mandarin Orange chicken.  It was really good.  I cooked his in the pan first, and then did ours.   :)   

Second the Indian food... also some Middle Eastern dishes are naturally vegetarian.  

We do the TJ's Mandarin Orange chicken-less chicken too. I think it tastes just as good if you follow the directions to bake it in an oven. We serve it with a TJ's brown rice packet (from the freezer section) and sometimes throw in some broccoli and carrots.