Menu

Would you give your parents.....

Prairie~Phlox

sheets for Christmas?  I don't know if they need them, but I got some fairly nice sheets on clearance for 75% off, I don't quite need them yet and was thinking I should just give them to my parents for Christmas, they are getting some homemade goodies as well.  I don't see my parents that often (at least I don't go to their house when I do.)  Would sheets be a weird gift.  I know they wear out and can be expensive, so I don't know if it's a sign that I should if I am thinking it, or is it just because they were such a good deal and I don't know what else to get them.

I would apply the same thinking as with other gifts: I wouldn't give them sheets unless knowing for sure they needed/wanted them, and/or would appreciate them. One year I bought my mom very high quality flannel sheets on sale for 75% off, but I knew her house was very cold and she would love them. 

Edited by Pippen
  • Like 2

I would give them. Toss in a new throw pillow if you want it to seem less utilitarian.

My 12yo received novelty sheets from a friend for her last birthday. At first I thought it was an unusual gift, but I can't tell you how many times my girl has said aloud "I love these sheets, they remind me of Jane Doe every day."

• Like 1

No, I would not. You say you don't know if they need them. If they have not expressed a desire to have more sheets, I would assume my parents have enough sheets to fit their needs and it would add to more stuff in the house that is saved for "later".

Exception if those sheets are of a truly unique design reflecting something very special about your parents tastes and interests.

ETA I should add that I received sheet sets as gifts in my teens from grandmothers who were thinking in terms of hope chest. Some of them are still cluttering my linen closet 35 years later and I do not like them. So much for "wearing out".

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

I don't think it's weird. I wouldn't give it, however, unless there was something special about them--a high quality your folks may not buy for themselves, a pattern or color you know will work beautifully with their room, etc. I like what someone else suggested about adding a decorative throw pillow as a finishing touch. It makes it look more planned that way.

I have given sheets to my mom as a Christmas gift & she seemed to like the gift. I know she used them (and they were even flannel.) I love receiving gifts like that. I so enjoy nice bedding but do not buy it for myself. My mother does buy nice bedding for herself but seems to appreciate as a gift also.

Thus, I would give the sheets as a gift.

Yeah, unless they're flannel--flannel sheets are gross!

Teehee.  I love flannel sheets.  My kids love flannel sheets.  My mom loves flannel sheets.  Even my brothers, SILs, and nieces and nephews love them!  I gave everyone flannel sheets for Christmas one year, and they were a huge hit.  My mom still thanks me every fall when she pulls them back out.  

No, I probably wouldn't. I'm pretty sure my mom gets coordinating sheets with her bedspread and room decor. I'm really not very good at that sort of thing even in my own home, I definitely couldn't match with something I only see occasionally.

But I don't think it's a weird gift in itself. It's just not something I would do.

If it were me, I would say no. Certain relatives buy my kids colorful sheets or bath towels every other year. 

I like white sheets and towels. I can wash them in hot water. I can bleach them whenever someone is sick all over them. I can wash linens from multiple rooms in one load. They don't look faded after a few washings. I really wish I could refuse the gift. 

However, I could see that some people might enjoy them. So I wouldn't consider them a weird gift, just not something I could appreciate.

Edited by ErinE

I wouldn't unless they were requested. Who knows whether they like sateen or percale or what color they want. I'd just wash the sheets and put them in the rotation if I found ones I liked on super sale. Random sheets from someone as a gift would more than likely get donated unless I happened to love that type. Life's too short for uncomfortable sheets. ;)

Not unless they expressed a desire for a specific type of sheet. And I wouldn't want to be given sheets as a gift either unless I'd suggested a specific type to someone who asked for a suggestion. My mother would be the only one who would ask but then she'd forget what I said and buy me something else. We're pretty picky about our sheets, so the reality is that I want to choose them myself.