Menu

What books are you gettting your teenage girl for Christmas?

Annie Laurie

My kids always give me long lists of books for Christmas, which I love. But this year my 13 year old dd says she can't think of any books she has read this year that are so good that she would want to own. I feel really down about this, I have had trouble finding book suggestions for her as she gets older and I feel like as a family, our time spent reading has steadily declined.

I was hoping to surprise her with a few really good books, but I can't seem to find any ideas. She loves fantasy most of all. Any suggestions?

Has anyone heard of or read The Lunar Chronicles series by Marissa Meyer?

I am currently reading the first in the series, Cinder. 

It's odd, but I'm getting drawn in. 

I'm about 13 chapters in and there's nothing inappropriate. 

ETA: 

Odd as in, they're futuristic fairytales. "Cinderella" aka Linh Cinder is a cyborg (34% machine) who starts a rebellion against the queen that lives on the moon. lol 

Still, if you're into sci-fi AND fairytales and can separate the original from the futuristic, it's kind of a fun twist. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 1

I'm buying Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein for my niece (16) this Christmas. Her request.

Does she like the Hunger Games?

If so, you might take a look at the Matched books by Ally Condie.

I will Always Write Back: How One Letter Changed two lives by Martin Ganda https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=I+will+always+write+back

NPR's list -- includes older books: http://www.npr.org/2013/08/05/207315023/the-ultimate-backseat-bookshelf-100-must-reads-for-kids-9-14

Has she read/Does she have the MAdeline l'Engle Wrinkle in Time series?

I'm buying Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein for my niece (16) this Christmas. Her request.

Does she like the Hunger Games?

If so, you might take a look at the Matched books by Ally Condie.

I will Always Write Back: How One Letter Changed two lives by Martin Ganda https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=I+will+always+write+back

NPR's list -- includes older books: http://www.npr.org/2013/08/05/207315023/the-ultimate-backseat-bookshelf-100-must-reads-for-kids-9-14

Has she read/Does she have the MAdeline l'Engle Wrinkle in Time series?

Thank you! I'll look at the ones you mentioned that I'm not familiar with.

She really likes Hunger Games and read the Ally Condie books. She has read the Wrinkle in Time series and owns them all. It's hard to find her books because she was such a voracious reader for so long and has already read so much.

What about the Song of the Lioness books by Tamora Pierce?

Edited by Annie Laurie

What about the Song of the Lioness books by Tamora Pierce?

My daughter loved Tamora Pierce's books as a teen.  (And she still reads them now that she's post-college.)

Some of her other favorites:

the Wren books by Sherwood Smith

The Golden Compass and its sequels

The Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix

Also:

Un Lun Dun by China Mieville

from the Amazon description: "What is Un Lun Dun?

It is London through the looking glass, an urban Wonderland of strange delights where all the lost and broken things of London end up . . . and some of its lost and broken people, too–including Brokkenbroll, boss of the broken umbrellas; Obaday Fing, a tailor whose head is an enormous pin-cushion, and an empty milk carton called Curdle. Un Lun Dun is a place where words are alive, a jungle lurks behind the door of an ordinary house, carnivorous giraffes stalk the streets, and a dark cloud dreams of burning the world. It is a city awaiting its hero, whose coming was prophesied long ago, set down for all time in the pages of a talking book."

Heir Apparent by Vivian Vande Velde

from School Library Journal: "All of the elements of a good fantasy are present in this adventure. Giannine Bellisario is about to celebrate her 14th birthday. This year, she actually receives a present from her father on time. It is a gift certificate to any Rasmussem Gaming Center Virtual Reality Arcade. Crossing a picket line formed by CPOC (Citizens to Protect Our Children) to enter, she decides to use her certificate for a total-immersion game called Heir Apparent. The object is to be crowned king. When the demonstrators damage the center, the protagonist is on her own and must complete the game successfully in order to escape permanent brain damage. Ghosts, witches, wizards, and magical tools help her as she races against time and faces many setbacks. Challenges range from barbarian attacks and peasant uprisings to a giant dragon. In addition, the half brothers and the hostile queen have treacherous plans to keep the crown for themselves. This adventure includes a cast of intriguing characters and personalities. The feisty heroine has a funny, sarcastic sense of humor and succeeds because of her ingenuity and determination. This unique combination of futuristic and medieval themes will appeal to fans of fantasy and science fiction.

Lana Miles, Duchesne Academy, Houston, TX"

• Like 1

Does anyone know anything about the sexual content in the Song of the Lioness books by Tamora Pierce?

I love the SOng of the Lioness. There is NO explicit sex.  There is romance and innuendo. She spends a lot of the book masquerading as a boy among boys. There is some romance with the prince and the boy she eventually marries.

• Like 1

My daughter loved Tamora Pierce's books as a teen.  (And she still reads them now that she's post-college.)

Some of her other favorites:

the Wren books by Sherwood Smith

The Golden Compass and its sequels

The Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix

Also:

It is London through the looking glass, an urban Wonderland of strange delights where all the lost and broken things of London end up . . . and some of its lost and broken people, too–including Brokkenbroll, boss of the broken umbrellas; Obaday Fing, a tailor whose head is an enormous pin-cushion, and an empty milk carton called Curdle. Un Lun Dun is a place where words are alive, a jungle lurks behind the door of an ordinary house, carnivorous giraffes stalk the streets, and a dark cloud dreams of burning the world. It is a city awaiting its hero, whose coming was prophesied long ago, set down for all time in the pages of a talking book."

Heir Apparent by Vivian Vande Velde

from School Library Journal: "All of the elements of a good fantasy are present in this adventure. Giannine Bellisario is about to celebrate her 14th birthday. This year, she actually receives a present from her father on time. It is a gift certificate to any Rasmussem Gaming Center Virtual Reality Arcade. Crossing a picket line formed by CPOC (Citizens to Protect Our Children) to enter, she decides to use her certificate for a total-immersion game called Heir Apparent. The object is to be crowned king. When the demonstrators damage the center, the protagonist is on her own and must complete the game successfully in order to escape permanent brain damage. Ghosts, witches, wizards, and magical tools help her as she races against time and faces many setbacks. Challenges range from barbarian attacks and peasant uprisings to a giant dragon. In addition, the half brothers and the hostile queen have treacherous plans to keep the crown for themselves. This adventure includes a cast of intriguing characters and personalities. The feisty heroine has a funny, sarcastic sense of humor and succeeds because of her ingenuity and determination. This unique combination of futuristic and medieval themes will appeal to fans of fantasy and science fiction.

Lana Miles, Duchesne Academy, Houston, TX"

Thank you for these suggestions!  

• Like 1

Also:

It might be interesting to pair it with Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. From Amazon:

Richard Mayhew is a plain man with a good heart -- and an ordinary life that is changed forever on a day he stops to help a girl he finds bleeding on a London sidewalk. From that moment forward he is propelled into a world he never dreamed existed -- a dark subculture flourish in abandoned subway stations and sewer tunnels below the city -- a world far stranger and more dangerous than the only one he has ever known...Richard Mayhew is a young businessman with a good heart and a dull job. When he stops one day to help a girl he finds bleeding on a London sidewalk, his life is forever altered, for he finds himself propelled into an alternate reality that exists in a subterranean labyrinth of sewer canals and abandoned subway stations below the city. He has fallen through the cracks of reality and has landed somewhere different, somewhere that is Neverwhere.

ETA: There is some language in Neverwhere, but I can't think of anything else that might be objectionable for a teen. I listened to the BBC's radio drama with Benedict Cumberbatch and James McAvoy recently, and it was great.

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 2

The Fablehaven series? My dd read these over and over again.

She has read those over and over too, they are definitely the type of book she likes.

The Illustrated Harry Potter and the third book in the Miss Peregrine trilogy (series?). Otherwise, she gets gift cards so she can buy her own books! If I recommend or buy a book for her, she's automatically disinclined to read it, so I've given up on that!

Had to laugh about that, my dd was like that for awhile too. Contrary creatures!

There is a relatively new series out that my dds loved:  the first book is called Etiquette and Espionage.  It's a "steampunk" series -- very clever and fun.  There are four books and the last book was just released last month. 

These are fun for adults too, especially if you've read Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series (which isn't for kids).

• Like 1

There is a relatively new series out that my dds loved: the first book is called Etiquette and Espionage. It's a "steampunk" series -- very clever and fun. There are four books and the last book was just released last month.

They're great on audiobook too. I actually spent 2 hours in the dentist chair this afternoon listening to the last of the four books (and not for the first time either - they're such fun!).

Dd15 is getting the second Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children book.

She has reluctantly and with some resentment acknowledged that I'm very good at choosing books for her!

Edited by nd293
  • Like 2

My high school kiddo has started checking out books from her school library. The trilogy that has grabbed her attention is Kerstin Gier's Ruby Red, Sapphire Blue, and Emerald Green. I have not read any of them--I see from Amazon that they involve time travel, fantasy, and romance.

What I have under the tree for my girls (15 and just about 13) are The Hunger Games trilogy which they have not read and Magnus Chase, the new Rick Riordan which they haven't read yet (but they've read his others multiple times).

I read Marissa Meyer's Lunar series and enjoyed it.

Books I have recommended to my 18yo sister lately:

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau Bates by E. Lockhart

Pivot Point and Split Second by Kasie West (two book series)

ETA: Also The Ruby Red Trilogy by Kerstin Gier and Starbound series by Amie Kaufman and Megan Spooner

Edited by melbotoast
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the Lunar Chronicles series. The final book was just released last month, I think.

Girl of Fire & Thorns series was good, but there was sex in the final book.

I quite enjoyed Patricia Wrede's Frontier Magic trilogy. It is fun and very innocent.

If she likes steampunk, Scott Westerfeld's Leviathon/Behemoth/Goliath series is fun.

Has she read Jessica Day George's Dragon Slipper series?

Ella Enchanted - Gail Carson Levine?

The Septimus Heap books

The Magic Thief series (Sarah Prineas -- I also liked her Winterling trilogy)

I thought it was just me!

You as a parent or you as a reader? I will admit that she comes by it honestly--I'm the same way :lol: If a book is making a huge splash, I can't bring myself to read it. The first HP had been out for years before I even deigned to pick it up and read a little :001_rolleyes:  Of course I was immediately hooked! 

She's always been that way. It frustrated me to no end because I couldn't wait to have a daughter so I could share my most beloved books with her, and she wanted nothing to do with them. Until DH pointed out that I do the same thing. Whatever!!!  :tongue_smilie:

If i really want her to read something, I have a list of people I ask to recommend it to her on the sly :lol: 

• Like 1

There is a relatively new series out that my dds loved:  the first book is called Etiquette and Espionage.  It's a "steampunk" series -- very clever and fun.  There are four books and the last book was just released last month. 

Dd (16) just started this series ... I've already read most of them, and it is really fun. I also read the "grown up" series (which I do not recommend for teens, but is also lots of fun if you like vampires, werewolves and steampunk all rolled together).

She also adored the Lunar Chronicles, although she found the final book disappointing.

This year she wants Clint Emerson's 100 Deadly Skills.  I wonder if  maybe she's taken the Etiquette and Espionage books a little too seriously.

• Like 1

The Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale are favorites here

The illustrated Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

The Belgariad by Davis Eddings

City of Mortal Instruments series is one we also enjoyed very much

The new Rick Riordan is wonderful

Everything by Gail Carson Levine

Diane Wynn Jones Howl's moving Castle

Edited by Lizzie in Ma

Dd is getting the 3rd in the School for Good and Evil series. She loved the first two. She's getting some more Emily the Strange. The Lunar Chronicles is on the list, but she has not read any of them. She just finished a manga series by Mark Crilley. I remember it has the seasons in the title and there is one book for each season.

Edited by jewellsmommy

You guys are awesome!  So many of these suggestions look like books she'll love that will help rekindle her love of reading. I had ordered a bunch yesterday and then saw the posts about steampunk books today, which she loves, so I ordered a few more. I'm saving the rest of the suggestions for when she needs new reading material from the library. Thanks so much!