Menu

Anti cancer diets

jenn-

Do you think they work or just another fad?

My DD's biological other half has a large family history of cancer. Her bio dad had lymphoma as a teenager and will be dying of lung cancer at barely 40 (I think his alcoholism has shot his liver so they can't use chemo. We don't speak). His own father died in his 30's of cancer, but I don't know what kind. His mom fought breast cancer last year. Needless to say, her genes from that side don't look so good.

Do you think there is anything that can really stop cancer from forming? Is changing her diet just going to make me feel better, but do nothing?

Do you have links to these anti-cancer diets?  By saying "they" I assume there's more than one?  I'm hesitant to comment much w/o knowing exactly what I'm commenting on.  I'm having trouble imagining how an anti-cancer diet would be different than the general recommendations about a healthy diet that everyone probably should be following (lots of veggies and fruits, lean proteins, whole grains, etc.).

Do you have links to these anti-cancer diets? By saying "they" I assume there's more than one? I'm hesitant to comment much w/o knowing exactly what I'm commenting on. I'm having trouble imagining how an anti-cancer diet would be different than the general recommendations about a healthy diet that everyone probably should be following (lots of veggies and fruits, lean proteins, whole grains, etc.).

I don't have any specific ones in mind. I was looking on Pinterest and saw when one was pretty much an alkaline diet, another was a juicing diet, some just said eat these fruits and veggies. If you know of any that sound valid, I'd love some links to books or websites.

My thoughts on anti-cancer diets is that they promote lots of vegetables and fruits and food as close to the tree as possible.  In general this is how we should all be eating all the time.  Our bodies are like our cars.  The better the fuel the better it runs.  A healthy diet allows the body to function better.  If it is functioning better it helps ward off all diseases.

I have zero science to back up my hypothesis.

Cancer runs rampant through dh's family.  For the men it is not if they will get prostate cancer but when.  Colon cancer affects many of the family members and kidney cancer. Because of this I have done my best to feed my children a healthy diet and educated them on the family medical history as they will need screenings earlier then the standard recommendations. The healthy diet may not prevent cancer but the healthier the body when diagnosed the better your body will assist in fighting the cancer.

• Like 2

Well I don't think you can cure cancer with diet, but eating real food goes a long way towards good health. And I don't mean "healthy" food, just real. Real fruit, real butter, real fish etc. I think the issue is that real food is becoming harder to source. The butter I have in the old country is a completely different thing than what I buy at the grocery store, even if I buy organic.

My husband has a disease that responds well to dietary changes (juvenile rheumatoid arthritis) but even knowing this the will power to act accordingly is sometimes lacking...

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 3

If you know of any that sound valid, I'd love some links to books or websites.

I highly recommend the Life Extension Foundation website for information on disease-preventing diets and supplementation:

http://www.lifeextension.com/protocols

All their articles contain *extensive* citations and a long reference list so you can see exactly where they get their information. They are not anti-conventional medicine. Their articles always include information on standard and emerging medical treatments as well as alternative therapies. 

Yes, they sell supplements, but unless you click on "Life Extension Suggestions" links, all of the recommendations are given in general terms.

Hope this helps.

The answer is that no one really knows.  There has been limited science because there's no commercial interest in fueling research about food.  You can't patent a diet.

Also, there have been several cases of bloggers and internet famous people who claimed to be cured using diets and it turned out they were complete frauds.

Would eating lots of produce and real food help? Yes.

There's probably more benefit in limiting empty calories, processed foods, never eating anything with nitrates, and limiting the chemicals in your home and lives than in following a specific diet though.

• Like 2

Thank you for all the replies so far.  I am not looking to cure the man with cancer (he was a deadbeat dad until he signed over his rights so my DH could adopt) as he smoked a pack a day even with the cancer gene obvious.  I am more or less looking around for lifestyle changes that DD could implement that might help her from delaying or hopefully keep her from getting cancer.  She is already a fairly healthy girl, but her eating habits could definitely use some cleaning up.

:grouphug: OP :grouphug:  There seems to be a lot of cancer on dh's side. It worries me for both dh and ds. However, I think your last line is correct.. It will help you feel better but is not likely to have much of an effect.

Cancer is not one disease. There are many types of cancer and often more than one cause for each type.

Lung cancer is most often related to smoking (and second hand smoke) or exposure to certain other chemicals. Some types of skin cancer are caused by too much sun. Some breast cancers are hereditary. Alcohol consumption is linked with esophageal, pancreatcic, and certain head and neck cancers. There is some evidence that obesity contributes to some types of cancers.

There is no one prevention for cancer, just as there is no one type of cancer and no one cause. There is some (small) evidence that a diet heavy on fruits and vegetables and light on meat (especially red meat) can prevent colorectal cancer. Obviously not smoking goes a long way to prevent lung cancer. 

There's no such thing as a magic or perfect diet that will prevent cancer or any other diseases. Eating healthy food (and keeping the unhealthy stuff to occasional food), getting exercise, and generally living a healthy lifestyle can help prevent cancer. Nothing is guaranteed though. We've all heard stories of the uncle who smoked and drank all his life and lived to be 102, or the opposite story of a perfectly healthy person with a healthy lifestyle and diet who was felled by cancer. 

Cancer is a crap shoot. You don't ignore the things that can go a long way to prevent it. You do the best you can and avoid those things that have been positively (scientifically) linked to cancer. In the end, you hope you didn't draw the short stick but you can't live in fear of that result.

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 4

A friend with cancer is avoiding all sugar, in all its forms, because it's thought that cancer cells feed off of sugar. There is a specific diet for this that I think is called the ketogenic diet. There are those for it and against.

Yes, this.

Also, (excess) estrogen cause tumors to grow, and eating too much sugar can lead to insulin resistance/diabetes, which affects your hormones, and can lead to estrogen dominance.

So, no, I don't believe any specific diet can "cure" cancer.... but eating REAL food and staying away from soy and sugar can definitely make your body less susceptible/hospitable to cancer, and hopefully prevent it, or at least delay it for a while.

I have told everyone, but I got the "21 Day Sugar Detox" books by Diane Sanfillipo and I *love* them. It's a way to eat that is sustainable and wholesome, not full of frankenfoods and imposter health food- and it explains "why" it's good.

It really really worked! I had SO much energy! I beat my sugar cravings, I lost 10-12 pounds... and I wasn't starving. I fell off the wagon after going to Disney World for two weeks, but I plan to get back on after the holidays.

If it were me, I would help her follow the low sugar/low carb lifestyle, just to be proactive.

I am not sure about a whole "diet," other than Gerson and Binzel. I don't know if they are prophylactic or have helped people who had cancer.

However, there are certain things that have proven benefits. One of them is beets an beet juice. If you google Kvass, you'll probably read about some statistics in a Russian province where a lot of Kvass was consumed. Fresh, preferably organically or biodynamically  grown veggies of bright color, i.e. beets (again), carrots, also ginger and garlic are supposed to have protective effects.

There is a cancer history of my dh's side and we are trying to eat healthy, cook from scratch and avoid all processed foods. I think this is all we can do. A positive outlook and exercise may help as well.

For a general diet composed of good quality protein and balanced carbs, I always recommend "Nourishing Traditions" by Fallon and Enig.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://t1.gstatic.com/images%3Fq%3Dtbn:ANd9GcQ1jDQKlV-2NcwX_8E0iEmIOv2SuTizRBhpem8Ws8_DyHqpHFEP&imgrefurl=http://books.google.com/books/about/Nourishing_Traditions.html?id%3DxIKkmlKOFfQC%26source%3Dkp_cover&h=1080&w=801&tbnid=RWBZi0MRHRdD7M:&tbnh=160&tbnw=118&usg=__K-pFksqdmLbEkfTK1W0vyJgLWzE=&docid=H31V4SNsPnlWiM&itg=1

Someone already mentioned no or little sugar as cancer cells feed on sugar. There are also supplements like Vitamin D that shows up in some research as vital.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

A friend with cancer is avoiding all sugar, in all its forms, because it's thought that cancer cells feed off of sugar. There is a specific diet for this that I think is called the ketogenic diet. There are those for it and against.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, and hope that she (he?) is able to gain remission. However, there is no evidence that depriving cancer cells of sugar has any effect on the disease.

https://anaximperator.wordpress.com/2012/09/13/sugar-depleted-diet-is-not-a-useful-cancer-cure/#more-5804

Unfortunately, that article is not a quick read, and neither are the scientific papers on pubmed. I wish scientists would take just one lesson from pseudo scientists and publish more articles that are readable to laymen (including myself). 

The bottom line for those who won't read the article:

What are the main conclusions?

• Cells don’t distinguish between glucose (a sugar) from different sources
  • Large amounts of glucose are often – but not always – used by cancer cells
  • Large amounts of glucose are sometimes used by normal cells
  • Consequently, a sugar depleted diet is not a cure for cancer
Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 2

A man at my church has prostate cancer and controls it with diet. He was supposed to have chemo but refused. His diet is yucky and boring, but it's better than chemo!

A person close to us gets his treated with estrogen shots. It has kept it from advancing for a few years now. He did the radiation seeds about ten years ago and it returned. He gets a shot about every 4 months and we joke about his hot flashes on those days.

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, and hope that she (he?) is able to gain remission. However, there is no evidence that depriving cancer cells of sugar has any effect on the disease.

Interesting as the PET scan works on the principle that cancer cell are made visible as they have a higher metabolic rate as normal cells.

Edited by Liz CA

We all hate cancer. It's the current common disease. Eating well is good for all of us. But just as we all know fit people with healthy diets who have heart attacks cancer can do the same. Unless you have actual genetic testing you don't know what she's predisposed to. If you find something then talk with doctors about current nutritional findings.

• Like 2

I also have heard that sugar feeds cancer cells. The truth about cancer, a global quest,  is showing it's segments for free through Nov. 30.

https://go2.thetruthaboutcancer.com/global-quest/replay/?cid

This has been a very informative site for alternatives to fighting cancer. 2 of my family members have fought their cancer without radiation and did alternative treatments, similar to several methods this site talks about. They are both cancer free and did so without the horrible after effects of radiation...

• Like 1

I am a cancer survivor. You can reduce your risks of cancer by taking good care of your health: 

Diet: high in fruits and veges, low in junk

Exercise: very important yet people don't think of it in terms of cancer prevention. It's up there in its effectiveness. 

Sleep: get enough! 

Smoking: don't do it yourself and avoid secondhand smoke 

I would not do anything more radical for your dd other than to make healthy living a way of life. I would not look for a specific diet. Just make sure her food choices are what I said above: lots of fruits and veges; low on junk. I would avoid supplements for a few reasons: 1) They can have things in them that they don't list as having 2) they may or may not have the active ingredient in them and 3) too many supplements have been recommended then recommended against by the medical profession. (eg's off the top of my head: Vit E, beta carotene to prevent lung cancer in smokers (the supplement increased the incidence; food intake decreased it), calcium.) At her age, just build healthy eating habits. 

There is a good book called "Anti-cancer: a New Way of Life" that is good. It was written by a neurologist who discovered he had a cancerous brain tumor when participating in a study that he himself was conducting. (No clue there were problems before that.) He was able to survive many years beyond what would be predicted. His diet is a little more adjusted, mainly in terms of thoughtfully using tumeric, etc. I think that is probably overkill at this point in your dd's life, but if you are interested, it is pretty sound. 

• Like 2

Thank you for the many replies.  I have a lot of information to dig through.  Would they do the necessary genetic testing on a 15yo?  Do you think that is information that is valuable to have at her age or will it just make us paranoid? 

I have got to clean up her eating habits, but make sure she doesn't lose any weight with the changes.  She is already underweight, so I usually look the other way on her snacking choices.  I have got to be strong when grocery shopping and just stop bringing the junk food home.

Another book to look at is Eat to Live. It's written by a doctor and backed up by research and scientific studies. I wouldn't go whole-hog on it though if your Dd is underweight as you can easily lose a lot without trying. But it's good to keep in mind the nutrient value of different fruits/veggies so you can purchase the ones with the best nutritional punch for the money, so to speak. 

A man at my church has prostate cancer and controls it with diet. He was supposed to have chemo but refused. His diet is yucky and boring, but it's better than chemo!

Just to add some information for those who might not know, prostate cancer tends to spread very slowly and has an extremely high survival rate. 

5-yr survival rate is nearly 100%.

10-yr survival rate is 99%. 

!5-yr survival rate is 94%. 

Those are overall rates (everyone who has been diagnosed). Even if you break it down to the regional stage, where it has spread out of the prostate to nearby areas, the 5-yr survival rate remains at nearly 100%. The distant stage means it has spread all the way to distant lymph nodes, bones, or other organs, but still has a 28% 5-yr survival rate. Description of the stages is bit simplified here, but details can be found at the American Cancer Society and other sites. 

And that's of people who have been diagnosed - prostate cancer often doesn't cause symptoms and so goes undiagnosed often. 

I'm not trying to argue with his experience, but I wanted to point out that prostate cancer is slow growing by nature, so much so that 'watchful waiting' is often the treatment of choice. It's not the same, imo, as stating that a person has lung cancer or stomach cancer and is controlling it with diet. 

• Like 5

Just to add some information for those who might not know, prostate cancer tends to spread very slowly and has an extremely high survival rate.

5-yr survival rate is nearly 100%.

10-yr survival rate is 99%.

!5-yr survival rate is 94%.

Those are overall rates (everyone who has been diagnosed). Even if you break it down to the regional stage, where it has spread out of the prostate to nearby areas, the 5-yr survival rate remains at nearly 100%. The distant stage means it has spread all the way to distant lymph nodes, bones, or other organs, but still has a 28% 5-yr survival rate. Description of the stages is bit simplified here, but details can be found at the American Cancer Society and other sites.

And that's of people who have been diagnosed - prostate cancer often doesn't cause symptoms and so goes undiagnosed often.

I'm not trying to argue with his experience, but I wanted to point out that prostate cancer is slow growing by nature, so much so that 'watchful waiting' is often the treatment of choice. It's not the same, imo, as stating that a person has lung cancer or stomach cancer and is controlling it with diet.

He was in the later stages when he was diagnosed, and now he's in remission. I didn't know that though. I'll talk to him. He gets tested every 6 months or something though, so it's not like it will sneak up on him.

He was in the later stages when he was diagnosed, and now he's in remission. I didn't know that though. I'll talk to him. He gets tested every 6 months or something though, so it's not like it will sneak up on him.

Oh yeah, I figured he was in a later stage if they wanted to do chemo. 

I just wanted to point out (to those who read your post) that prostate cancer is a different kind of beast from most cancers. You tend to have the luxury of time to try waiting or alternative methods, time that you often don't have with other forms. 

• Like 1

Another book to look at is Eat to Live. It's written by a doctor and backed up by research and scientific studies. I wouldn't go whole-hog on it though if your Dd is underweight as you can easily lose a lot without trying. But it's good to keep in mind the nutrient value of different fruits/veggies so you can purchase the ones with the best nutritional punch for the money, so to speak.

I've skimmed through the Eat to Live book and as a vegetarian already, I agree with everything he says. However, only 1 person in my family can afford to lose weight (sure I'd be happier to be 5 lbs lighter but more than that would put me in the underweight category with DD). Unfortunately the one that needs to lose the weight is the one that is going to resist with every fiber of his body.

I am going to try to get my hands on his raising healthy children book and see if there is less of the weight loss focus.

Edited by jenn-

Another book to look at is Eat to Live.

I've skimmed through the Eat to Live book and as a vegetarian already, I agree with everything he says.

I am going to try to get my hands on his raising healthy children book and see if there is less of the weight loss focus.

Eat to Live is my nutrition bible.  I recommend Disease Proof Your Child by Joel Fuhrman.

Nuts, seeds, avocado, nut butters are great snacks for those who do not need to lose weight. 

As for the junk:  One thing I learned from Fuhrman was to cheat out of the house.  It's so much easier not to eat junk if it is not in my home.

Edited by Sue in St Pete
  • Like 1

Low levels are associated with certain types of cancer, including breast, where she already has risk factors that she cant change ( female, family history).

Okay, I asked because I have sky high B12 and some undiagnosed health problems. There was a study that shows a possible correlation between high B12 and certain cancers, but I can't find which cancers.

I think they probably help with some cancers, but in other cases, the cancer is not diet related.

I remember taking Macrobiotic cooking classes 20+ years ago.  Our instructor told us that eating miso soup after Hiroshima and Nagasaki helped those with radiation poisoning.  Not sure if it's true or not, but if I had to go through radiation, I'd probably drink a bowl a day just to be on the safe side.  

My Mom visits a premier cancer hospital (she has had several types) and has consulted with a nutritionist there. Based on that and my own research, here's my advice:

1) Eat lots of a wide variety of fruit and vegetables, especially vegetables.

3) Keep dairy and meat products to small amounts, especially if at risk for breast and colon cancer.

4) Keep sugar to small amounts.

5) Avoid alcohol until mid to late twenties if at risk for breast cancer and especially avoid binge drinking as a teen/young adult. After that, drink sparingly.

6) Soy in its natural food state (whole beans, tofu) is good, but avoid the concentrated protein forms.

I also believe that different bodies react differently, so while a low animal product diet is healthiest for many, for some it is not and causes other health problems.

My Mom visits a premier cancer hospital (she has had several types) and has consulted with a nutritionist there. Based on that and my own research, here's my advice:

1) Eat lots of a wide variety of fruit and vegetables, especially vegetables.

3) Keep dairy and meat products to small amounts, especially if at risk for breast and colon cancer.

4) Keep sugar to small amounts.

5) Avoid alcohol until mid to late twenties if at risk for breast cancer and especially avoid binge drinking as a teen/young adult. After that, drink sparingly.

6) Soy in its natural food state (whole beans, tofu) is good, but avoid the concentrated protein forms.

I also believe that different bodies react differently, so while a low animal product diet is healthiest for many, for some it is not and causes other health problems.

Would that be like the faux meats?

I think I am going to insist on a 6 week diet clean up at the beginning of the year.  DH is just gonna have to suck it up and eat it.

I think I am going to insist on a 6 week diet clean up at the beginning of the year.  DH is just gonna have to suck it up and eat it.

Things that contain soy protein isolates and soy protein powder. Some faux meats do contain that, and some don't, or contain smaller amounts. I still eat it, but try to steer towards the products that don't contain it, like many of the Quorn products, or contain less of it.

AFAIK, it has not been conclusively shown that they are a problem. I know there are mixed reviews about soy and breast cancer - some studies saying it helps, others not, and some saying it depends on the form. My preliminary thoughts are that soy as eaten in Asian countries like edamame and tofu seems to be beneficial, while soy eaten in our country (concentrated in an altered form) might not be.

Just wanted to clarify that it isn't conclusive yet.

Things that contain soy protein isolates and soy protein powder. Some faux meats do contain that, and some don't, or contain smaller amounts. I still eat it, but try to steer towards the products that don't contain it, like many of the Quorn products, or contain less of it.

AFAIK, it has not been conclusively shown that they are a problem. I know there are mixed reviews about soy and breast cancer - some studies saying it helps, others not, and some saying it depends on the form. My preliminary thoughts are that soy as eaten in Asian countries like edamame and tofu seems to be beneficial, while soy eaten in our country (concentrated in an altered form) might not be.

Just wanted to clarify that it isn't conclusive yet.

A lot of bars, cereals, etc. that say they are high protein have soy isolates as an ingredient. One of the theories that I have read about soy is that is seems protective if eaten your whole life, as in Asian countries. It might be counterproductive if introduced later in life. Or the issue might be how much soy is in our diets and in what forms.

Soy isolates are found in lots of stuff: bread, cereals, bars... if it is advertised as high protein and it is a grain type product, there is a high probability there is soy isolate in it. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the many replies.  I have a lot of information to dig through.  Would they do the necessary genetic testing on a 15yo?  Do you think that is information that is valuable to have at her age or will it just make us paranoid? 

I have got to clean up her eating habits, but make sure she doesn't lose any weight with the changes.  She is already underweight, so I usually look the other way on her snacking choices.  I have got to be strong when grocery shopping and just stop bringing the junk food home.

I think the important thing for now is that her physician is kept aware of her family history. I would also consult  her physician on the issue of genetic testing and whether even if she was an adult, genetic tests exist for the situation you describe. For instance, is there a genetic test for predisposition to lymphoma? And if there is, is there anything you can do about it if she has the mutation? (Also, note Epstein-Barr virus is a risk factor for lymphoma, so you might want to make sure if friends get it, that she stays away.)  If MGM is the only woman in her family with breast cancer, it's unlikely that she has the genetic mutation.  Having a childhood cancer (such as lymphoma as your dd's bio dad did)  can predispose you to other cancers due to the treatment. It sounds like her bio father's lifestyle also was one known to increase risk for disease. Was his father also an alcoholic who smoked?  I would try to find out the type of cancer he had for your dd's medical history. 

I would keep any changes in food offerings at your house about general promotion of health and not cancer prevention so as not to plant worries in your dd's mind.  And again, exercise is as important or more important than diet for many cancers. 

Thank you for the replies and clarifications about the soy proteins.  I'm now sticking my fingers in my ears and singing loudly because I'm not giving up my cookies (Lenny & Larry's).  They are my emergency rescue food when I'm somewhere I can't easily get something to eat.

I think I am going to go with an everyone needs to eat better then we currently do.  We did something similar to start this year as well, but I didn't eliminate the dairy and I really want to this time.  I have dairy issues and went dairy free back in February and I feel so much better.