Menu

Grab your glass, I just need to w(h)ine

momofkhm

We are going to brother's house for Thanksgiving.  (Hopefully.  MIL is local, has no one but us and is in rehab.)  Yesterday he calls and tells me to bring winter jammies for us as the bedrooms we will be in get down to 55 at night!  We have our heat set to 65 overnight.  I already sleep in a fleece top and flannel bottoms!  And I have a quilt and comforter on the bed, plus an extra blanket for my feet.  I guess I'm taking "sleeping socks", a long sleeve sleep shirt to wear under my fleece, and probably a down blanket, just in case.  I may not get up in the morning.

I wonder if his dogs will naturally follow him or if they will get up on the bed in the night.  DH and I are sleeping in brother's bed.  Hey, if the dogs still get up on his bed, I'll have extra covers!  I won't be able to move (the small one is 125 lbs) but I'll have extra warmth!  I still won't get out of bed in the morning.

We turn our heat off at night, so all winter the house is in the 50s at night. None of us can sleep if it's much warmer than that.

Can you take a warming blanket with you? They are filled with lavender (my fave) or buckwheat and can be heated in the microwave, then tucked into your bed. I slip one into bed before I go in to warm the sheets.

We don't neat at night, and our children use sleeping bags in the winter to stay nice and warm. That might be an option for you. That said, if we have company, I absolutely provide heat for their room. I think it's important for my guests to be able to get a good night's sleep, and is worth a few dollars in heating costs to ensure, if necessary.

ETA: And we make sure the house gets warmed up first thing in the morning for their comfort as well.

Edited by LavenderGirl

We sleep with the window open, unless it is below 0F.

If you are cold sleeping, you need a warmer blanket - trade the thin comforter and quilt for a real down featherbed.

I would take a down sleeping bag, in case your brother does not have sufficiently warm bedding. With a good sleeping bag, you would be OK outside in freezing temps.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Do you have an electric blanket?  

We set our heat to 50 at night, guests or no guests.  But I do provide an electric blanket for the guest bed and do make sure the heat goes up as early in the morning as I think the first person will be awake.  Luckily our guest room is the most well-insulated room in the house.  Our daytime temp is 62 so still pretty cold for many people.  I do recommend that guests bring warmer clothing and slippers.  I will bump the heat higher if people are chilly.  

Your tale of woe brings back memories of visiting my ILs in VT. They had an apartment over their business and, in order to save on heating costs, they not only did not heat the bedrooms, they kept those doors shut to keep all the heat in the living area. So the bedrooms easily got to 50F. Having grown up in HI where anything below 70F was Cold, I did not fare well. Even with several wool blankets, a down sleeping bag and sleeping with a hat and socks on.

These days I have to keep the heat at 68-69F or I can't sleep. I sometimes take a hot shower before bed so I can warm up enough to fall asleep. But then if I get too cold during the night it will wake me up and I won't be able to fall back asleep. I guess it's a good thing I'm in the south where winters are short and occasionally non-existent. :p

That's rough!  Why don't you look into getting some long underwear?  The newer models breathe and are still really warm.  

Personally I like to sleep at about 60 degrees.  Much colder than that, and the cold on my face wakes me up no matter how warm I am otherwise.  I've tried to inch down to 58 but can't seem to manage it unless I'm camping (in which case the white noise of the outdoors lulls me enough to stay asleep.)  OTOH, it took me a while to get below 62 comfortably, so I'll probably keep trying 58 once in a while.

Hotel? That is what I would do. Control your own destiny.

Yeah.  That.

The electric blanket idea would be slightly cheaper, but you'd still have to leave it in the morning!

I'd be concerned that a very cold, uncomfortable night would lead to a head cold for me.

Cold puts me in pain so that would be super miserable for me. So much so that we would stay in a local motel/hotel instead.

Me too:(

When we go to FIL's house at Christmas in England he keeps it just at 65 during the day and off at night😩

AND he turns off the hot water, says there is no need for it?! He boils the kettle for tea and to wash dishes, the rest is icy cold water. Misery, sheer misery.

We are skipping this Christmas and traveling to Europe in May:)

• Like 2

Me too:(

When we go to FIL's house at Christmas in England he keeps it just at 65 during the day and off at night😩

AND he turns off the hot water, says there is no need for it?! He boils the kettle for tea and to wash dishes, the rest is icy cold water. Misery, sheer misery.

We are skipping this Christmas and traveling to Europe in May:)

I would stink by the end of that visit with him because there is no way I can shower in non-heated water. Geez! I hurt just thinking about it. 

As to the 55* rooms, I would wake up with a migraine if I slept in a room that cold. Even if I have blankets, if my head is in the cold for those extended periods of time, I end up with horrible headaches. I'd be staying at a hotel. 

• Like 1

I have chronic ear issues and would be experiencing ear pain most likely. I have to run the heater a bit in our room with the door shut before I sleep so that it's stays warm enough at night for me and my ears.  Ha!  I really can't spend anytime outdoors  when it's cold without ear protection or I'm in a lot of pain.  

Edited by LavenderGirl

My in-laws' house has a very chilly basement that isn't well heated, but they have space heaters available so it isn't a big deal. If a house were as cold as some of you keep yours, I'd opt for a motel rather than be miserable all night—especially if the house were also kept cold during the day. #nope 

My in-laws' house has a very chilly basement that isn't well heated, but they have space heaters available so it isn't a big deal. If a house were as cold as some of you keep yours, I'd opt for a motel rather than be miserable all night—especially if the house were also kept cold during the day. #nope 

If we have guests that have special needs then we certainly would accommodate before resorting to a hotel.  If that meant a space heater/electric blanket for the guest room and/or bumping the heat a little, we would do that.....to a point.  I live in a leaky 130yo house.  In the dead of winter the furnace can be going 24/7 and will not top 65 degrees. That is common in my area and there is not much we can do about it right now.  People who visit us know this and can plan accordingly.  I live in an area where people wear hats, wool socks, and scarfs inside and out all winter....and sometimes in "summer."

On the flip side, as a guest, I would have a hard time if the nighttime temps were over 60 degrees.  I would find that very uncomfortable and would probably lose a lot of sleep.  I would just suck it up before springing for a hotel though.....but obviously I'm cheap:)

• Like 2

If we have guests that have special needs then we certainly would accommodate before resorting to a hotel. If that meant a space heater/electric blanket for the guest room and/or bumping the heat a little, we would do that.....to a point. I live in a leaky 130yo house. In the dead of winter the furnace can be going 24/7 and will not top 65 degrees. That is common in my area and there is not much we can do about it right now. People who visit us know this and can plan accordingly. I live in an area where people wear hats, wool socks, and scarfs inside and out all winter....and sometimes in "summer."

On the flip side, as a guest, I would have a hard time if the nighttime temps were over 60 degrees. I would find that very uncomfortable and would probably lose a lot of sleep. I would just suck it up before springing for a hotel though.....but obviously I'm cheap:)

It's funny how regional this is. No one here thinks twice about wearing a fleece jacket in the house and even a hat, like you mentioned. Warm houses in winter? Um, no. Lol

We recently stayed at my in laws house in OK. MIL is always cold so I planned ahead on what I needed to wear in her house so I didn't melt. It was totally weird wearing tank tops and sleeveless summer dresses in November, but it got me through. At night we closed the vent and opened the window--I could never sleep in an 80 degree room. Still, I had to sleep in shorts, which I don't even do here in summer.

8o

We turn the heat off. 73 at night seems incredibly hot!

The littles' room isn't insulated very well.  Their room is always a few degrees cooler than the rest of the house (and warmer in the summer).

Also, I have arthritis and I am almost always cold.

I could not sleep in those temps! My feet, legs and hands feel very painful when they are cold and that would keep me up all night. On the other hand, I have hot flashes at night so I am constantly throwing off my blankets and then bundling them up again after it passes, lol. I'd opt for a hotel!

I was also going to suggest a hot water bottle or if you have one of those microwavable heat pads it would at least help you get cozy to get to sleep.

I am grateful that we don't really have the option to turn the heat way down. Dh is up and working overnight for his job. It wouldn't be fair to him. :D