Menu

I just inherited land in California...UPDATE

G5052

They said they'd get back to me later in the week, but we did some research on our own.

We looked at the lot on Google Earth and couldn't figure out why there were so many roads and lots laid out in the desert with nothing nearby.

DH found an oil well not far away, and we got excited. But it was drilled and plugged up in the 1940's.

Why would anyone buy land there?

Then we found this: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/aug/14/local/la-me-cal-city-20100814

And I found a lot on eBay of the same size and not far away that just sold for about $500 plus doc fees. Property taxes are about $200/year.

Yup. Bathing in the richness of it all...LOL.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 10

Cool!  That's almost as exciting as learning that a long lost completely-unheard-of relative in Nigeria has left you 8 million dollars!

Yes, what was he thinking? He bought it in the 1960's, right when it was being promoted, and paid the property taxes for all of these years. He never talked about it, and even his CPA didn't know.  

He was always a friendly, caring soul. I truly adored him. This will be the first Christmas that I won't hear his happy voice on the phone and receive his favorite gift to us -- a cheese platter from Figi's.

But here we are  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: .

Edited by G5052
  • Like 5

That was an interesting article! If you look at the google earth image of the city, it looks like a dried up lake bed.

So, what do you plan to do with your inheritance? Could you even sell it if you wanted to? Hey, you could build your second/vacation/retirement home there! :D

• Like 4

My parents and grandparetns have some land like that in Arizona.  It was even all mapped out for subdivision roads and the plots marked but no one had every built there. My grandparents have died so it's now all my parents. From what I've heard of the area, I expect that at some point in my future I shall have a similar inheritance.

• Like 2

Kiss the ground and thank God that you did not "inherit" a Timeshare!     Many people who own them are so desperate to get rid of them that they not only give them away, they pay the Transfer fees, Escrow, etc.   Possibly with time you can sell your lot on eBay or somewhere?

• Like 1

Possibly with time you can sell your lot on eBay or somewhere?

That's what they're telling me, so I'm not paying $200/year in property tax for basically nothing.

Apparently, the guy on eBay does this for 50% of the take, but then you're done and have a few hundred in your pocket.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 1

Is there a procedure for refusing an inheritance? Some 'just say no' clause?

Yes, in certain cases you can refuse. But as always, you need a lawyer to review that.

In some cases it will go to another beneficiary. For the person it would go to here, it would indeed be a burden. So I'm not going to do that.

The county where this lot is refuses to take them because there are so many. Waiting for them to take it over for non-payment of the property taxes will take a decade or more because there are so many heirs trying to get rid of them, and the county doesn't have a big staff.

I'll probably just have the eBay guy sell it and get it done. The lawyer out there says that's what he would do if it was his "gift."

• Like 2

Can you imagine what some sort of organized and insightful charity could do if they had a plan for people to donate lots like that -- like to develop the lots and house people?

I swear, "habitat for humanity" or something, I bet they could make s go of "donate your lots for a tax receipt" thing.

• Like 5

I'd be so tempted to keep it in case it ever takes off. But, I'm silly like that.

Yes, DH said that. Leave it to our kids! Ha!

What if he buried something on his land, or built a cool bomb shelter underneath it?  Did he live near this land?

Maybe. He wasn't the type though.

He was stationed at Edward's Air Force Base in the 1960's, and probably bought it around then. So some 50 years of paying property taxes on it, and it's worth less than he paid for it even back that far.

• Like 1

That's what they're telling me, so I'm not paying $200/year in property tax for basically nothing.

Apparently, the guy on eBay does this for 50% of the take, but then you're done and have a few hundred in your pocket.

In the article you linked to, when you began the thread, they mentioned Al Gagnon.  If he is still alive, is he the one who sells those lots on eBay?

If not, you might contact him.

Probably best to file a Disclaimer as Lawyer&Mom suggested and let it go to someone else, unless it happens to be in the part of California City where there are actually people living now, in which case it might sell for more than $500.  Location, Location and Location are the 3 important things with Real Estate.   GL

Can you imagine what some sort of organized and insightful charity could do if they had a plan for people to donate lots like that -- like to develop the lots and house people?

I swear, "habitat for humanity" or something, I bet they could make s go of "donate your lots for a tax receipt" thing.

Yes, that's a good thought. Developed real estate is pretty cheap there though.

A charity would have to run utilities and finish the roads. I'm not sure how much employment there is either.

I was told that these lots are already on most charity lists as a "no-go" because of the issues with selling them. 

• Like 1

Now I'm really interested in visiting California City, it looks fascinating. It would make a great setting for some sort of post apocalyptic movie.

It's an...interesting...place.  That whole area of the desert is full of rocket scientists and methamphetamine addicts.  And they're all nuts.  crazy.gif

(Well, actually there are some decent folks there, but the percentage of weird is REALLY high.)

• Like 1

Yes, that's a good thought. Developed real estate is pretty cheap there though.

A charity would have to run utilities and finish the roads. I'm not sure how much employment there is either.

I was told that these lots are already on most charity lists as a "no-go" because of the issues with selling them. 

Nope, no water, no nothing.  There are a few quality employers; their employees can afford to live in Tehachapi or Lancaster and commute.

• Like 1

They have that sort of thing in Canada. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canadian-towns-offer-free-land-to-lure-new-residents-1.3132300

• Like 3

In the article you linked to, when you began the thread, they mentioned Al Gagnon.  If he is still alive, is he the one who sells those lots on eBay?

It's out in the boonies. Nothing near by, no utilities. All dirt roads out there.

We looked at Al Gagnon's website last night, and none of the property he has listed is that far out. He has a few cheap lots, but they're all closer in and near completed roads.

You can't blame folks. It would be a tough go to buy such a thing, even for a few hundred dollars.

It will be months in the making, but it's interesting all right. I'll probably call Al Gagnon at some point just to get his perspective.

• Like 1

I cannot imagine that it would be at all sustainable to maintain that area but it's a nice thought. California's developed cities with actual water are already having a rough time. That place looks like a disaster.

I can't believe preppers aren't buying up all those lots!

You'd have to be the stupidest prepper ever. 

Step 1: Identify water.

Step 1b: Leave the southwest...

ETA: Seriously though, water is a very serious problem and I imagine that as long as there's global warming and more land in Alaska, the California desert is not going to look like a really good investment even for preppers.

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 1

If a foreigner owns land in America, can they then stay in America? ...........Probably not.

I have to say, I'm feeling tempted to try, at the moment.

With the proposed new legislation for homeschooling, which will make homeschooling almost impossible unless I hire certified teachers for each subject for my kids....I'm about ready to move to America. Sigh.

• Like 2

Given the timeline and location of your relative, it makes sense. It was yet another CA dream that didn't pan out. Or maybe now it will, as population there is growing, somewhat. It's currently the 12th fastest growing city.

It's like modern day Nazca Lines when viewed from above: http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/california-city.html

• Like 2

Looks like a great place to film the next apocalyptic hit.  Maybe some crazy actor/producer will buy it up.  They have the money to bring trucks of water in each day for filming :)

I think I understand why he never told anyone.  It's like that joke,"If you believe that, I've got some land..."  He was probably hoping it would just revert to the county when he died and no one would ever know.  

And, sorry for your loss, I know the holidays make it hard.  Buy yourselves a cheese platter to celebrate his life.

• Like 2

Or maybe a cellular company wants to build a tower out there.  Just in case.  They pay rent for those .... :D

Yes.  Our Homeowners Association had a special meeting, a year or two ago, where we discussed whether or not to lease land to one of the cell phone companies, for a tower, on the edge of our property. Only one family voted against it. If we had turned it down, they would have built it on neighboring land and those people would have received the money.

However, in the case of the OP, this would require that there are people in the coverage area of the tower, who could use it and I don't think there would be much use of that cell tower.

• Like 1

Looks like a great place to film the next apocalyptic hit.  Maybe some crazy actor/producer will buy it up.  They have the money to bring trucks of water in each day for filming :)

I think I understand why he never told anyone.  It's like that joke,"If you believe that, I've got some land..."  He was probably hoping it would just revert to the county when he died and no one would ever know.  

And, sorry for your loss, I know the holidays make it hard.  Buy yourselves a cheese platter to celebrate his life.

Yes, at the very least, we've had some good laughs about it.

On the other hand, I was told that he also bought property in what is now Silicon Valley when it was just orchards, but that is already in the process of being sold. So he wasn't completely off that way.

Me and my "estate" in California City though...

Edited by G5052

My father inherited some similar land in Sweden once.  Just to get there to look at it would have cost more than what the land was worth.  He was able to decline it, and it was offered to the next in line.  Not sure what happens when there is no one else in line, but they can't force it on you if you don't want it.

Yes.  Our Homeowners Association had a special meeting, a year or two ago, where we discussed whether or not to lease land to one of the cell phone companies, for a tower, on the edge of our property. Only one family voted against it. If we had turned it down, they would have built it on neighboring land and those people would have received the money.

However, in the case of the OP, this would require that there are people in the coverage area of the tower, who could use it and I don't think there would be much use of that cell tower.

No freeways?

On the other hand, I was told that he also bought property in what is now Silicon Valley when it was just orchards, but that is already in the process of being sold. So he wasn't completely off that way.

Me and my "estate" in California City though...

That is hilarious. So you got the reject plot.

What did you do, burp at Thanksgiving and forget to say "excuse me"? 

• 10 months later...

An update on my "property."  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

The estate itself is actually still being settled, but I was able to handle it with the lawyer so that I "gave" it to the estate.

We listed with a realtor for a set commission in August at a rock bottom price. The realtor said that people are sometimes looking for a deal for camping and desert biking, and that he was optimistic. 

And it has sold, or at least nearly so. Escrow has cleared, and they are working on paperwork and a closing date this month.

The estate will clear maybe $200-300, but I won't have to figure out how to sell it on eBay or pay the property tax for years to come.

• Like 16

California City was the original timeshare rip-off.  Heavy TV promotion in the 60's  for dream and vacations homes- -hunting, fishing, hiking, fresh air. The trick/trap-- sewer, water and infrastructure  to a  particular tract will be built after every owner in that tract pulled building permits. Nearly impossible to get all to do that.  Had a similar TV campaign for land around Salton Sea, CA.   btw,  you do not have to accept deed transfer.

btw,  you do not have to accept deed transfer

Given that the estate probably won't settle completely until 2017 because of a lawsuit that started before my relative died, it made more sense to just transfer it to the estate and list it under them while we wait.  They had hoped to settle this summer, but nope.

Of course, if we had gotten to the end, and it still hadn't sold, not accepting the deed transfer was an option.