Menu

Need to simplify school

First, let me say that I'm sorry this is long. If you make to the end I'd love some suggestions.

This school year has been incredibly overwhelming in every area. My house is a disaster, school isn't getting done consistently, I'm getting sick every few weeks due to stress and exhaustion (I'm guessing as I'm the only one in the family getting sick). My DH is not often available to help due to his work schedule so I am essentially on my own. I teach piano lessons 3 afternoons a week and the kids have extra-curricular activities 3 times a week (one is almost over though and we probably won't sign up again). There's really nothing that can be cut entirely but something has to give. I'm looking for ways to simplify, stream-line and help the kids be more independent in as many areas as possible.

I've been thinking that maybe it's time to change how we do school. I really hate to. I love researching and coming up with the "perfect" plan pulled from multiple sources. I've looked at "in a box" curriculums, and, while some of them look great, there's always something that's not quite how I would do it and/or it's simply too expensive. I may need to consider switching though to a "less than perfect curriculum that gets done instead of my perfect one that doesn't" - if I may paraphrase a quote from someone's signature here. My self-planned stuff takes a lot of time both in planning and implementation and there's little that my kids can be independent in. As much as I hate to admit it, something pre-planned and all in one box might be what we need right now.

I like many different styles, but would say I lean primarily towards classical/Charlotte Mason. I prefer Christian curriculum. I've been drawn to MFW for a few years now but didn't want to give up my freedom to do my own thing. I can't see us doing anything like Abeka or BJU. Right now we use:

Bible - Apologia Who Is God?, SCM Laying Down the Rails, and various memory verses, Scripture reading, and catechism

Math - mostly SM and fact drill work but also some BA or LOF when we need a change of pace (only one curriculum per day)

History - I piece together units from SOTW, a history encyclopedia, and Diana Waring's History Revealed

Science - SITB and nature study, I've also used and enjoyed Apologia

Language Arts - IEW, copywork, informal grammar that I through in here and there, English From the Roots Up, read aloud from SCM book lists, LOE Foundations with younger two, younger two read to me each day. I've used LLATL in the past and it was ok.

Spanish - la Clase Divertida

ASL - outside class that's ending soon

Arts - piano lessons, music theory, artist/poet/composer study based off SCM recommendations (when we get to them)

My DC are 11yo/6th, 9yo/4th, 8yo/3rd, 6yo/1st. We do history, science, Spanish, ASL, art and music together with me reading most things aloud. I do IEW with the older 2 together (I only have TWSS, not the SWI), and LOE with the younger two together.

Any ideas for making what we do less mom intensive? Or curriculums that would be a similar style but with the planning already done? Something that the kids could do more independently? Nothing terribly expensive if I can help it. I've spent about $600-$700 a year the past couple of years.I'm prepared to spend more than that but I'd like to keep costs down as much as possible. (Love the look of Veritas Press grade kits but Oh My! The price tag!)

Rod and Staff English for the older two. Yes, I know you said you couldn't see yourself doing something like that, but if you want independent, then you're looking at textbooks. R&S English is comprehensive grammar and composition--you'd drop IEW. Yes. Drop it. Your older two can work on their English while you do LOE with the littles.

If you like SM, then do just that. Don't supplement. Just don't.

If you like SOTW, then do just that. Don't make your own stuff up.

Pick one thing for science.

Don't fill in the space left by the ASL class when it's finished.

• Like 12

I'm pregnant and chasing a toddler. We pared down to math (prealgebra), grammar (r&s), writing (wws at half pace), and a towering stack of books for history, literarure, whim, what have you. My daughter takes six dance lessons plus has rehersal for an upcoming ballet so something had to go. She starts pointe soon so things are just gonna get more intense.

I mean, if you need to pare down to just the essentials for a season, do it. My house was a mess and I had a cold that just wouldn't quit for weeks.

• Like 3

I'd drop La Clase Divertida. This is coming from someone who did all three levels of it with my kids at similar ages to yours. We enjoyed the program, especially the cooking and crafts, and it was a fun cultural intro to different Spanish-speaking countries. But, for the time we put into it (watching the lessons multiple times a week, listening to the CDs in the car, doing the flashcards and worksheets), I don't feel the benefits were enough, in hindsight. I probably would have spent that time a different way. If you want, you can always come back to it when you're less busy, or pick and choose from the projects when you need a fun change of pace.

Erica in OR

• Like 2

2ndgen, what did your mom do? Are you coming full circle yet, where instead of focusing on all that she didn't accomplish, you see all that she did? Maybe this is way off advice! Forgive me if it is!

I'm getting there doing this with myself. A few years ago I wasted a ton of time and money trying to do so much "better" than oldschool. I didn't get better results. I'm still trying to figure out why.

As for working and outside activities, getting sick put a stop to those for me. I thought I couldn't stop. I had to stop. I got a taste of the simpler life and stuck with it.

Getting sick can be a blessing in the long-term. It forces us to do the impossible. It gives us permission to be negligent. It opens up a world we don't even know exists or is possible.

And if we ignore little sick, and keep pushing through the warnings, we get big sick. I sometimes think sick is to prevent us from overparenting.

I don't have this all figured out. But...I am starting to notice patterns. I don't always know what the patterns mean anymore than early man understood the seasons. But early man learned to store food for winter or he died. We can learn from the patterns even when we don't understand.

Homeschooling mom being a little sick and doing too many outside activities. :lol: Stop now!

• Like 5

Streamline - meaning DO LESS, not try to do the same amount and they work independently. You don't have to give up your carte blanche control to a boxed curriculum, unless you want to. I think doing fewer things and doing them well is more rewarding for me and my kids. Not only rewarding but enlightening too. There are many ways to do this, below is an example. Best wishes!

Daily - math, reading (instruction or independently), and a set time of family learning, maybe an hour, where you choose what to share with them. This is a great time for a read aloud, reading and discussing Bible passages, a short bio or inspiring story, art or poet or composer study, etc - some things but not everything each day).

On rough days stop here.

On good days press on.

Language arts for olders (youngers is LOE)

Day 1 - Start a IEW writing project/writing lesson

Day 2 - copy work

Day 3 - work on writing project

Day 4 - vocabulary (you could drop this now and wait until their writing and reading skills are more solid then start Latin to cover vocabulary, grammar, and logic somewhere in 7th-9th years)

Day 5 - finish writing project

I'm a "better late than early" grammar person. You can keep addressing it informally until 7th or 8th grade when you study it deeply with something like MCT or Analytical Grammar. Or study Latin.

Once or twice a week

History - Give everyone the coloring page from the SOTW chapter and play the audio version while they color (10-15 minutes for you to do something else needful like laundry). Have one or two kids narrate the sections, go over review questions, maybe do map work, but don't do outside projects or extra literature (or extra planning!)

Science - drop all curriculum, do nature study once a week, watch documentaries, ask lots of "I wonder why..." "Did you notice..." "What if we tried..." Kind of questions. This is coming from a former public school science teacher. Content is not nearly as important as habits of mind. And their "content" should still be the world around them. Strew science-y books that will pique their interest or maybe a magazine subscription like Ask, and allow them to explore at leisure.

Music - daily practice, weekly lessons, can they cut back on theory?

Spanish - unless they want to and can do it independently I say drop it

ASL - same, you could try a video course but don't require it, let it be something they do because they want to

• Like 7

I wanted to add one more example of necessary streamlining. I just felt I could have written your post two years ago, complete with spouse having an odd work schedule and getting sick repeatedly. I know what we do isn't for everyone, but in case it's helpful for you, here's how we have rigor, gentleness, and less stress on mom:

Daily - Morning basket, Math, memory work, language arts

Older two also do Latin independently. This takes us about 3 hours in the morning. (They are mostly independent in math).

That is all the mom-direct/prepared instruction from me they get. I do preschool work with youngest for about 40 minutes in the afternoon. The rest of the day is much more self-directed, and my role is to facilitate, encourage, and consult.

Afternoon is personal study time. They have some requirements (a book list, some form of history and science each week, short term steps for long-term goals, time frames), but we discuss what they want to study within that framework.

Each Friday we meet to review the past week and plan the next week of their personal study time. Personal study time is time-structured (you are working from this time to that time) based on age, and includes:

- required work for outside classes (eg piano, co-op biology, online math, Science Olympiad)

- those things we plan on Friday and put on the checklist (some things from this week - DS is doing SOTW audio with coloring, map work, and any books he requests from library 3 days a week, practicing drawing using art books from the library; oldest studies/practices Japanese for 30 minutes a day and works on assignments for Shakespeare class, does NaNoWriMo; middle dd is currently learning about urinary and excretory systems by reading juvenile library books and using a couple iPad apps, is learning to sew stuffed animals).

- independent reading from your reading list

- if you have finished your planned work and you still have personal study time to fill you can "browse." This is where they can try some things like a new iPad app, a documentary on Netflix, a book they haven't read before, play a game (board, card, math, etc), and start taking stock for what they want to put on their checklist for next week.

It has taken time to get everyone working independently, but not as long as I think it would take to learn to do independent boxed curriculum. The reason is they WANT to study those things in their personal study time, and they feel confident and dedicated because they are making decisions about their education.

I still feel they are getting the essential and foundational things through our mom-directed studies in the morning. I also see their growing drive and independence as they pursue personal study time, as well as growth in their content knowledge and soft skills (time management, goal setting, project planning, follow-through, etc). And the burden of mom (or the curriculum)-as-the-fount-of-all-learning is gone.

I admit this system isn't perfect, and I am thinking about how to tweak it often, but it brings greater peace and growth into our home. Best wishes!

• Like 12

I wanted to add one more example of necessary streamlining. I just felt I could have written your post two years ago, complete with spouse having an odd work schedule and getting sick repeatedly. I know what we do isn't for everyone, but in case it's helpful for you, here's how we have rigor, gentleness, and less stress on mom:

Daily - Morning basket, Math, memory work, language arts

Older two also do Latin independently. This takes us about 3 hours in the morning. (They are mostly independent in math).

That is all the mom-direct/prepared instruction from me they get. I do preschool work with youngest for about 40 minutes in the afternoon. The rest of the day is much more self-directed, and my role is to facilitate, encourage, and consult.

Afternoon is personal study time. They have some requirements (a book list, some form of history and science each week, short term steps for long-term goals, time frames), but we discuss what they want to study within that framework.

Each Friday we meet to review the past week and plan the next week of their personal study time. Personal study time is time-structured (you are working from this time to that time) based on age, and includes:

- required work for outside classes (eg piano, co-op biology, online math, Science Olympiad)

- those things we plan on Friday and put on the checklist (some things from this week - DS is doing SOTW audio with coloring, map work, and any books he requests from library 3 days a week, practicing drawing using art books from the library; oldest studies/practices Japanese for 30 minutes a day and works on assignments for Shakespeare class, does NaNoWriMo; middle dd is currently learning about urinary and excretory systems by reading juvenile library books and using a couple iPad apps, is learning to sew stuffed animals).

- independent reading from your reading list

- if you have finished your planned work and you still have personal study time to fill you can "browse." This is where they can try some things like a new iPad app, a documentary on Netflix, a book they haven't read before, play a game (board, card, math, etc), and start taking stock for what they want to put on their checklist for next week.

It has taken time to get everyone working independently, but not as long as I think it would take to learn to do independent boxed curriculum. The reason is they WANT to study those things in their personal study time, and they feel confident and dedicated because they are making decisions about their education.

I still feel they are getting the essential and foundational things through our mom-directed studies in the morning. I also see their growing drive and independence as they pursue personal study time, as well as growth in their content knowledge and soft skills (time management, goal setting, project planning, follow-through, etc). And the burden of mom (or the curriculum)-as-the-fount-of-all-learning is gone.

I admit this system isn't perfect, and I am thinking about how to tweak it often, but it brings greater peace and growth into our home. Best wishes!

Not to OP, but just wanted to say I really enjoyed reading your post!  I love the idea of personal study time!  I'm going to have to think on this for a bit...  what age did you start?

• Like 2

You've already gotten great advice, so I will mainly just echo....

I think you're better off to cut back then to try a box.  A box will just bring you new frustrations and then you'll regret what you spent on it.  You're better off to cut back to one resource per subject (per kid).  As pp suggested, give them the SOTW cds and maps and let them have at it.  If you still want to use DW, play her cds in the car and don't worry about it matching up.  The kids will make connections; it will be fine.  Use one resource for Bible, math, science, etc. 

If you want to stay with IEW, maybe try a theme-based writing book that matches your history time period.  It would be cheaper than the SWI, but easier than planning your own.  Plus, it will include vocabulary that they can incorporate in their writing and you can drop English From the Roots Up. 

Also, how are you implementing the work?  Do you make the kids assignment sheets so they know what to do each day?  Do they have a chance to do some of the work independently or are they depending on you to even get started?  You could even make the assignment sheet into two parts - independent work grouped together (and make sure they know where the cd player is, where they can listen without disturbing you or others, have the copies of the maps ready in the same place, etc.) and work with Mom stuff grouped together.  Of course, some subjects may be a bit of both.  For IEW spend the first day introducing the new lesson and make sure they know what they'll be doing each day (Tuesday - KWO, Wednesday - re-write, Thursday - dress up, Friday - type and edit - or whatever,) letting you check it each day to make sure they're on the right track.

• Like 4

Drop Spanish, history, science.  Have the kids listen to SOTW in the car (1 volume per year), grab some science books from the library, and call it good.

We're doing just math (TT or SM, depending on the kid + drill)

Language arts

Read something.

Done.

And it's working great!  And I'm not losing my mind!

• Like 1

Drop language arts in favor of language arts IN science and history.  Merge the lessons, so that during history you're studying scientific achievements and the scientists of that period, and work the language arts to accompany it.

Drop all the reading aloud.  If a book is too hard for your 3rd/1st graders, find ones that compliment the studies of the older two.  Have them do a small activity to go along, have the older two read and present in some form at least once a week. 

Getting sick can be a blessing in the long-term. It forces us to do the impossible. It gives us permission to be negligent. It opens up a world we don't even know exists or is possible.

And if we ignore little sick, and keep pushing through the warnings, we get big sick. I sometimes think sick is to prevent us from overparenting.

I don't have this all figured out. But...I am starting to notice patterns. I don't always know what the patterns mean anymore than early man understood the seasons. But early man learned to store food for winter or he died. We can learn from the patterns even when we don't understand.

Homeschooling mom being a little sick and doing too many outside activities. :lol: Stop now!

Amen! BTDT! I feel better now but being sick forced me to accept some limitations but it is a hard lesson for me to keep. My current answer has been to accept that our school will have seasons(I love the term tidal schooling) sometimes we have lots of structured mom-led time and others it leans more unschooly with just the basics scheduled. As it is I can't keep my schedule very intense for very long but I also really enjoy those times when we are able to really dig in so going in waves means I can have both without breaking myself(although I've pushed myself to the limits this fall and had to take a week early break).

• Like 3

We simplified our school year by cutting down to two subjects. Just two.

I highly recommend it. Pick them based on what is most important for you.

This is an interesting idea. We actually did something similar one summer - science and math one day, history and LA the next. I had never considered doing it during the school year. Do you do a different two subjects each day/week/month or are you doing just two subjects for the year?

Rod and Staff English for the older two. Yes, I know you said you couldn't see yourself doing something like that, but if you want independent, then you're looking at textbooks. R&S English is comprehensive grammar and composition--you'd drop IEW. Yes. Drop it. Your older two can work on their English while you do LOE with the littles./quote]

I have heard really good things about R&S. My mom actually used it with me our first year homeschooling when I was in 2nd grade. I don't remember much about it though. Our local used book store had 3 shelves of R&S curriculum a month or so ago. I should see if they still have it. Can I just jump in at grade level? My kids haven't had a whole lot of grammar or writing instruction yet. I hate to give up IEW as they're enjoying it, they're writing has improved so much in just a couple of months, and I spent so much money on it(!). I'm willing to consider other options though.

2ndgen, what did your mom do? Are you coming full circle yet, where instead of focusing on all that she didn't accomplish, you see all that she did? Maybe this is way off advice! Forgive me if it is!

I'm getting there doing this with myself. A few years ago I wasted a ton of time and money trying to do so much "better" than oldschool. I didn't get better results. I'm still trying to figure out why.

It's not way off advice. I do tend to discredit what my parents did far too easily. Partly because we simply won't do it the same way. They don't even homeschool the same way anymore. We were an ATI family. I was the first to leave the Gothard world but my siblings and parents weren't far behind. In spite of the fact that everyone in the family (myself included sometimes) thinks that I'm more of a natural at teaching than my mom, it is actually my mom who figured out homeschooling without ATI the fastest. My brother and I are still trying to figure it out with our kids. My mom had a couple of rough months but then got her plans in place (for high school no less!) and they're doing great. I think the key for her is that she keeps it simple. She chose one thing for each subject that seemed like it would fit with my sister's learning style and then didn't get distracted by other things that looked good. (She had one expensive fail a couple of years ago but dumped it quickly when she knew it wasn't a good fit.) I tend to want to do everything that looks good (SM, BA, LOG) so we're not missing anything but I know this over complicates things. Maybe I should get my mom's help to figure this out.

I'm sure the sick thing is true too. I need to relax and enjoy the process more and quit trying to achieve perfection.

Off to church now but I'll be back to read and comment on all the great suggestions. Thanks everyone!

ETA: Sorry for all the messed up quotes! I've never used multiquote before and I guess I don't know how to do it!

• Like 2

We also use many SCM materials, and I consider us CM/Classical.  I've had some bare bones years in the past, but this year my focus has been on keeping our lessons short (so we can get through them before lunch).  We can manage to get quite a few subjects done by keeping an eye on the clock or setting a timer.  My DC finish their independent things after lunch (if they have any left).  Usually they have piano practice and some independent readings to finish up.  I write their independent assignments in a student planner and am working on getting them more independent.  I still have to remind them several times to finish up.  

On our busy years, I've stuck to a short list of subjects: 3R's, Bible, chapter of our read aloud, and 1 rotating fine arts selection (picture study, nature study, LDTR lesson, etc.).  You could alternate history and science, but I've had better success keeping them as daily subjects.  Some families do 1/2 year of science and 1/2 year of history.  If LA is an issue, I really recommend ELTL.  It's CM/Classical based and only has 3 lessons per week.  It also includes poetry, literature, and picture study.  BTW, CM recommended 6 pictures to study per term, so she didn't get to it each week either.   ;)

I love audio books (unfortunately my DC don't).  I try to read their books aloud, but we use them when I have a scratchy throat, am tired, or have a new baby.  This year I've been using Librivox when I can't get to my 8yo's literature readings (my older two read theirs on their own).  Last year we had a movie afternoon once a week.  My DC loved it!  We mostly watched Moody science or Drive Thru History.

I don't know what to say without writing a book. This year has been eventful. So many final and permanent endings. So much loss. Yes, I cried a lot. Yes, I was a big baby and made a fool of myself. Yes, I blacked out a lot and had a lot of PTSD symptoms and migraines. But for all that happened, really, I'm in good shape, considering.

Things are not quiet or over, but my head is above water today.

Here is the thing. Some stuff that others take for granted is not going to be allowed for me. Period. Who and what isn't allowing it? I don't have a clue. And really, I can't afford to focus on that. I need to focus on the PATTERNS in MY life.

What got me where I am? Which skills keep me afloat? Where did I learn them?

I know I'm supposed to be deeply ashamed of my past education, and be madly striving to "fix" it. I've stopped that and made some peace. Because what I use to stay afloat WAS learned. I'm taught to think little of those skills, but why? It is the stuff I actually USE.

And the rough edges? Do they matter? And are they even rough? And who gets to make the labels and judgements and rating scales?

This year I have been told all that I am not. I have been told all the places I am no longer welcome. My connections to others and things are all gone. So little is left I have struggled to say what I am. I am no longer the most basic things. And even what others observe about me is mostly just habits that really no longer serve me well, or just my current adaption to the trials and harshness of today.

But the past couple weeks, something is emerging from the ashes. Some of it is full circle from oldschool. Stuff I have been told to vehemently reject. Stuff I'm not willing to reject anymore.

I tried some of the new ways. They were not allowed to me. I don't know much more than that, and I don't think I need to.

Find YOUR patterns. Some of the patterns probably started with your mom. Look at the patterns of her life. Maybe she wasn't messing up. Maybe she wasn't allowed different. Maybe every last bit of the past was meant to be. Maybe the "mistakes" she made will be what gets your kids and grandkids right where THEY are supposed to be.

Find the patterns. Ease into the flow. Don't fight so hard. Don't look at what others are doing. Don't assume you and what you know is inferior.

• Like 4

Bible - various memory verses, Scripture reading, and catechism (do memory stuff for a few minutes per day, alternate scripture reading and catechism)

Math - SM (every day)

History - SOTW (one chapter a week--completed once or twice a week taking into consideration attention span)

Science - (Apologia-a few pages one or twice twice a week)

Language Arts - IEW, copywork (maybe they can choose something they like from the science or history of the day), free reading (older dc);  LOE Foundations with younger two, younger two read to me each day.

Spanish - keep only if dc love it

Arts - piano lessons, get a composer CD like music masters and listen in the car

You have all you need. Don't buy more and just simplify the implementation of what you have.

:grouphug:

• Like 4

First, let me say that I'm sorry this is long. If you make to the end I'd love some suggestions.

This school year has been incredibly overwhelming in every area. My house is a disaster, school isn't getting done consistently, I'm getting sick every few weeks due to stress and exhaustion (I'm guessing as I'm the only one in the family getting sick). My DH is not often available to help due to his work schedule so I am essentially on my own. I teach piano lessons 3 afternoons a week and the kids have extra-curricular activities 3 times a week (one is almost over though and we probably won't sign up again). There's really nothing that can be cut entirely but something has to give. I'm looking for ways to simplify, stream-line and help the kids be more independent in as many areas as possible.

I've been thinking that maybe it's time to change how we do school. I really hate to. I love researching and coming up with the "perfect" plan pulled from multiple sources. I've looked at "in a box" curriculums, and, while some of them look great, there's always something that's not quite how I would do it and/or it's simply too expensive. I may need to consider switching though to a "less than perfect curriculum that gets done instead of my perfect one that doesn't" - if I may paraphrase a quote from someone's signature here. My self-planned stuff takes a lot of time both in planning and implementation and there's little that my kids can be independent in. As much as I hate to admit it, something pre-planned and all in one box might be what we need right now.

I like many different styles, but would say I lean primarily towards classical/Charlotte Mason. I prefer Christian curriculum. I've been drawn to MFW for a few years now but didn't want to give up my freedom to do my own thing. I can't see us doing anything like Abeka or BJU. Right now we use:

Bible - Apologia Who Is God?, SCM Laying Down the Rails, and various memory verses, Scripture reading, and catechism

Math - mostly SM and fact drill work but also some BA or LOF when we need a change of pace (only one curriculum per day)

History - I piece together units from SOTW, a history encyclopedia, and Diana Waring's History Revealed

Language Arts - IEW, copywork, informal grammar that I through in here and there, English From the Roots Up, read aloud from SCM book lists, LOE Foundations with younger two, younger two read to me each day. I've used LLATL in the past and it was ok.

Spanish - la Clase Divertida

ASL - outside class that's ending soon

Arts - piano lessons, music theory, artist/poet/composer study based off SCM recommendations (when we get to them)

My DC are 11yo/6th, 9yo/4th, 8yo/3rd, 6yo/1st. We do history, science, Spanish, ASL, art and music together with me reading most things aloud. I do IEW with the older 2 together (I only have TWSS, not the SWI), and LOE with the younger two together.

Any ideas for making what we do less mom intensive? Or curriculums that would be a similar style but with the planning already done? Something that the kids could do more independently? Nothing terribly expensive if I can help it. I've spent about $600-$700 a year the past couple of years.I'm prepared to spend more than that but I'd like to keep costs down as much as possible. (Love the look of Veritas Press grade kits but Oh My! The price tag!)

If you go to a church with religious education, I'd cut Bible. As much as I think doing just Beast Academy is great, if you're mostly doing SM, just do SM. If you like Story of the World, just do SotW. Don't try to piece a bunch of stuff together. Spanish: I'd consider using an online tutor through skype and using DuoLingo (or if your library has the first level for free like many do, Rosetta Stone) on other days. How far are your kids in piano? Honestly, I can't think of music theory being very useful for the six year old, unless she's a very advanced player for her age. If your oldest has been playing for years, then I'd keep music theory, but piano has a lot of intuitive music theory and if I were strapped for time and had a bunch of beginning piano players, I'd probably scrap it. Composer study: Classics for Kids. 

• Like 1

Agree with most of the plans above. Keep it simple. We're in kind of the same situation in that I have to be done by lunch so I can do my work. So, LA keep it simple-1 program  for littles, writing/grammar for olders (IEW or whatever floats your boat) + spelling only if really needed and lots of reading and discussion for olders (pick one of the many excellent book lists). Math-again one program-SM or BA not both. History-when you get to it-keep it easy. I'm not doing much with the littles right now. I'll probably get the SOTW CDs for them when I get to it, or we'll figure something out. I'm going to worry about that after Christmas. The olders are reading on their own and narrating. Science-you can keep simple for the youngers (go look at nature stuff and discuss it on a nice day or watch videos) and maybe a bit of reading for the olders. And mostly don't panic. There are seasons of insanity. Figure out what is most important for right now, and get that done. Everything else really and truly can wait.  Never let the perfect become the enemy of the good. 

I think you've gotten some good advice, and I don't feel that I can help or add except with the above. Some have mentioned just doing SOTW and maps. I agree wholeheartedly! During particularly busy, stressful times, I simplify SOTW by listening to the audio chapter in the car (we spend quite a bit of time driving each week). My dd has a clipboard with the coloring sheet and the map for the week. She can color while she listens.... or not. After listening we discuss very briefly, then she completes the map work (I write out all the directions on the map in the margins). That's it. This is just get-er done stuff, but it works during those times that you need it.

When we aren't so busy and stressed, I add additional library books, activities, videos, recipes, etc.

Thank you :-)

Not to OP, but just wanted to say I really enjoyed reading your post! I love the idea of personal study time! I'm going to have to think on this for a bit... what age did you start?

I started doing this when kids were 11, 8, 6. My 6 year old didn't have weekly meetings - she browsed or played with little sister in the afternoons. The 3 hours in the morning was enough of required time. The 11 year old had 2 hours personal study and 8 year old had 1 hour (though he often did more). Now 13 yr old does 3 hours plus outside evening class, 10 year old does 2.5 hours, and 8 year old does 2 hours. I base the time on their capability and age.
  • Like 2

I wish you could come over for a cup of coffee and chat about this.  I do the same thing to myself every year. (And, yeah, I'm going to be spending Thanksgiving break whittling and prioritizing.)  Charlotte Mason/Classical?  Yep.  Drawn to the Most Amazing Curriculum Ever?  Yep.  Want to do it all with every kid? Yep.  Crash and Burn?  Yep.

What I'm doing...the advice I give that I need to take myself... :blush:

Get a piece of paper.  Fold it in half twice so you have 4 equal rectangles.  Write each child's name in their own rectangle. For each child...

~~What is the greatest weakness that needs attention first for the next 3 months?

~~What is this child's greatest strength?  How can we highlight and capitalize upon that for the next 3 months?

~~What lessons are going AWESOME?  (not OK, not good enough, but AWESOME)  Don't change those!

~~ List computer programs, games, activities that the child could do independently if you had access.

Delete things that are not awesome in order to spend more time on strengthening weak areas.

If you are micro-managing your child's strengths, stop it. Encourage, facilitate, and be a good audience.

If you can combine more things, do it.  I've done FLL combined with kids who are all in different grades.  Grammar doesn't change, it only spirals up in difficulty.  Doing FLL3 with a 5th or even 6th grader is still more than what they would receive in a PS...and it's better than dropping grammar b/c it takes an HOUR to do 4 15min lessons.  Kilgallon is great, and my dd10 is doing it largely independently.  I need to explain a bit here and there.

I also have 4 kids.  I've done the math.  If you spend 2 hours of one-on-one time with each child, that is 8 hours a day.  That is on top of any circle-time or chores or meals or sports/music practice or life.  It's truly not sustainable.  Charlotte Mason's mornings full of 15min lessons and free afternoons are really not doable with multiple kids who all need mother-teacher for their lessons, but we don't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. We have to set up the atmosphere for learning, teach our children to maintain the habits that facilitate growth and happiness, and not forget to LIVE LIFE.  

Rotate the kids through time with you and time with books and time with a computer and time playing games with each other.  Maximize things they can do withOUT you.  It's OK if it isn't CM or Classical.  

Treat the time that the kids get with you like prime real estate.  Expect your older ones to come to your meeting time prepared.  (ex. Read the assignment.  Do the review problems.  Write a rough draft.) If they can do something on their own, they should.  I'm a big meanie on this but I realize that if one child comes unprepared, their laziness steals my time away from the other kids (or myself) and that is not respectful or acceptable.  

If I only have one hour per day alone with each child, how should I prioritize that time? 

Lastly, a planner can make or break you.  My dd10 is an independent woman.  She does wonderfully with homeschool-planet planner b/c she can access it online with her Kindle and check things off as she goes..and I can link the math videos and audiobooks for her.  She doesn't have to wait on me.  My boys need a stack of materials in front of them.  "Do this, and then tell me when you are done." They all 3 need a defined "complete independent stuff before lunch" in order to get 'er done.

• Like 9

I tried to do SITB last year with mine but it just wasn't getting done. This year I decided to have my 9 year old do it independently. If he wants to gather the supplies and do the demonstration, great, and if not and he just wants to read through the chapter I am ok with that too. I think in either case he is learning something at least. So you could have your olders do it independently or if so inclined they could be in charge of it for the youngers. Though I also think a season of elementary school without science is ok too.

My mom once complained to me that her mom gave her a bologna sandwich and an apple EVERY day for lunch. She vowed she would do "better". I really didn't like her better very much. She never asked me if I preferred her better. I never once threw away bologna, but I often threw away the meatloaf. Usually every week.

I'm broke. I'm busy. I have been eating a ton of bologna sandwiches and apples. Today, I thought about my mom's rejection of bologna and apples.

My mom said I am JUST like my grandma and did NOT mean it as a compliment. But I guess I am. Right now bologna and apples is enough. It just is. sometimes better isn't better.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies! I've read through them all several times and talked to my DH and I feel much better about this coming week. My DH typically leaves any and all homeschooling decisions up to me but he's a great sounding board and excellent at talking me down when I'm tempted to do something drastic out of a sense of panic (or encouraging me to try something new and different if I'm hesitant). His advice was to stick with what I'm doing but cut out all the extra stuff and just do the basics. He suggested that I wait until the home school convention in the spring before making any major changes. I think he's right.

Here's my plan for this week:

Bible/every day - Read a psalm, work on a memory verse (not several), Read a page or two of Who Is God?

Math/every day - SM and fact drills, put away BA and LOF

History/ 2x a week - SOTW with coloring pages and maps. Order CDs. Put away DW. There's plenty of time for that when they're older and independent

Science/ 2x a week - SITB, no formal nature walk but I may send them outside to find something interesting to draw in the their notebooks depending on how the week is going

Language Arts/every day - a chapter of a read aloud each day, IEW and copywork for older two, LOE and read to mom for younger two

ASL class, put away Spanish for now

Arts - Piano lessons  and one or two pages of Theory a week, shelve the rest for now

I think that will give us a better week while I think through all the other advice and suggestions and figure out what will work for us.

Hunter - I think you're right. I may not use the same curriculum that my mom used for so many years but there is still so much I can learn from her approach. We had a consistent routine - always. We didn't get up at the same time every day, my dad's work schedule changed (several years of a different shift each week), but the order of events each day and week was consistent. She kept school simple. We did ATI Wisdom Booklets and Math. She didn't waiver on that and wasn't constantly trying to supplement like I am. When they left ATI she put together a high school plan for my sister and they've stuck with it. Nothing too complicated, just one solid curriculum choice per subject. No worrying about something not being perfect accompanied by a frantic search for something to fill the holes. Outside activities were limited. Our house stayed fairly neat and clean - considering the 10 people who lived in it. There was a daily chore time, the house was tidied before bed each day, every Saturday morning the whole family pitched in to do all the cleaning and yard work, and one week each spring was set aside to deep clean. She had a system and she didn't over complicate it. I seriously over-complicate everything. Time to think back to my childhood and embrace all the great stuff I learned and that worked!

Targhee - I love your study time idea! I'm going to have to give that one more thought. Sounds like something that would build independence and encourage ownership over their education.

• Like 9

I would highly recommend CLE for grades 3 and up. Their math, LA, reading, and bible are GREAT. It requires grading and a little guidance, but it's VERY student directed. Very. I would not recommend it below grade 3, or for science or history, but otherwise it's very thorough, concise, cheap, and student focused.

• Like 1

I haven't read all the other replies. I notice that, obviously, you're a second gen, so from one second to another, be sure that you're not burning yourself out on comparing yourself to what you grew up with. This can go two ways.

a. if you had a good education, be sure you aren't trying to recreate an idealized version of that. You remember your mum doing history and science and art and them all being awesome, but did she really do all the awesome things in the same week? Be realistic, don't look back on all the good parts and try to recreate them all right now. You have 12ish years to do that. Same applies to extracurriculars, 3 afternoons a week plus part time piano teaching is a lot of commitment. 

b. If you had a bad education, don't burn yourself out trying to overcompensate and be the very opposite of your mum. It's possible to go too far in the opposite direction.

I often have to pull myself back, my issue is overcompensating for a bad/neglected homeschool education and I have been known to get too overzealous ensuring that never happens for my kids. 

I totally get loving to research and piece things together, homeschooling wouldn't be near as much fun without that. So I vote that you keep the piecing together, but scale back how much you're piecing together at once.

Here's my reccomendations. 

Bible - Apologia Who Is God?, SCM Laying Down the Rails, and various memory verses, Scripture reading, and catechism - Bible work is personal, do what you need to do here, but remember, a little bit every day can mean a lot more than a large bit every so often. Alternate things, work on a memory verse one week, and apologia the next week, and SCM the third, or whatever schedule makes sense, so long as it can actually get done.

Math - mostly SM and fact drill work but also some BA or LOF when we need a change of pace (only one curriculum per day) - I wouldn't change anything here, but I am math heavy. 

History and science are important but, at early ages, doing them formally is optional in my opinion. Personally, I don't plan to incoporate history or science into each individual childs schedule until the child is old enough to do the subjects independently (the plan is probably around 5th). So, in your case, to streamline I would drop FORMAL history and science completely for the younger 3, and find something the 11yo can do by themselves, apologia is pretty independent if I remember right. I have no recommendations for history. 

But, this is for formal coverage of the topics. Informally, use your piecing together skills to find resources. Documentaries are a good place to start, find some great ones and put one on each week. Make a book list and borrow one or two out each time you go to the library, require than the children read them (independently) alongside their other books before they get to go to the library to get more. Consider things like snap circuits and chemistry kits for christmas presents. Anything which requires no active input from you except for research. 

LLATL with a supplementary writing program is worth considering, at least for now, if it's been ok in the past. It's not perfect but it is easy (writing strands is a good writing supplement IMO).  Rod and Staff was a suggestion above, and also a good option. R&S spelling is great, and their other programs are solid, if a little dry. Workbooks give independence which gives you less stress.

Spanish - la Clase Divertida No comment on this one, 

ASL - outside class that's ending soon Let it end and don't replace it.

Arts - piano lessons, music theory, artist/poet/composer study based off SCM recommendations (when we get to them) I'd also leave this as-is

• Like 1

Let me start with the first thing that jumped out at me: you said that there is nothing that can be cut entirely, but there certainly is: You have three extra-curricular activities. You can cut them.

You may not want to cut them, but you can cut them. 

Do you have to give piano lessons three times a week? As in, do you need the money? Because three afternoons of piano lessons + three extra-curricular activities + 4 kids = not much time for school.

If you are frequently getting sick and you suspect it is from stress and exhaustion, you have to cut back. You have to make some hard choices.

Were it me, I would do something along the lines of the following:

1) Drop all extra-curriculars. It doesn't have to be forever, but for the time being, your health and the children's education have to come first. 

2) Choose one resource per subject and go with it. Stop cobbling together from multiple sources. It's too time-consuming.

3) Cut out or reduce the piano lessons (assuming you aren't depending on the money--really depending on it, not just enjoying having some extra). Can you teach fewer students? Can you consolidate their lessons into one day?

4) Drop the non-essentials. To me, the essentials are math and writing (and Latin, but you're not doing that). Bible is probably important to you, so keep that. Then choose one non-essential. That would be history, science, Spanish, ASL, or arts. Choose just one (but seeing as ASL is an outside class, that's been cut already). (Remember, it's not forever.) Now you have four subjects. Find a routine that works for you for those four things. Give it three months. See how it's going. If it feels manageable, add in another non-essential. Rinse and repeat. Stop adding things back in when you feel that you couldn't add anything else and keep a good schedule/routine going.

5) Don't worry that you can't do it all. No one can. It's ok.

Personally, I would let Spanish, ASL, and arts go entirely. I regret the time I spent on Spanish with my kids when they were younger. It was a lot of time for minimal reward. 

I think you can keep going with resources you select, rather than a boxed curriculum, if you are able to pick just one resource and use it well rather than trying to do a bunch of scattered things. Your LA list is too heavy, imo. Drop the extra math stuff and just do Singapore. Pick one way to study Bible, not five. Just do Story of the World. Use one science, not two.

Good luck!

• Like 6

I am very much agreeing with Taratheliberator about the fact you can most definitely cut extra curriculars and if it isn't a financial necessity, teaching piano, or at least reducing, the number of lessons / after school stuff. It's hard! I have struggled with this myself but can tell you that taking time off from school and cutting my kids down to only 2 activities a week has been huge in relieving my anxiety levels and helping is get more school done!

You might need to consider streamlining your curriculum and think about what subjects would you really like to be directly taught by you and which ones are you willing to have kids do independently. For me, teaching our core subjects is important, but I have my 3rd grader do her math and Lang about 80% independently. My 6 year old needs my full attention in Lang and math instruction so I prioritize giving him my full attention for one hour for "k time". And then that's it! If we don't get the fun craft or what not it's ok .

I also have what I think of as my bare minimum mode. This mode has for periods lasted 6 weeks at a time (first trimester pregnancy, newborn, needing to get caught up on my own school, or just swamped by life). It looks like---

1 hr k time with mom while dd does 1 hr independent Lang & math

Bible- 10 min

Chapter book reading- 20

Book basket- kids read science and history related books at their level (maybe dd's reading to my k'er) and DVDs independently ---30 min

The rest is "unstructured, self directed learning". If you don't allow tv or tablets and have a lot of homeschool stuff lying around --- board games, art & craft supplies, stuff to bake, science kits & books, good chapter books, a basket of library books your kids got to pick out, etc.---your kids are bound to spend constructive time learning without you. This is my version of "unschooling."

• Like 1

I found myself in a very similar place last year and we've gone in a completely different direction because of it. My children actually have benefited from the way I had to change things. One thing that I wanted to say first is that the boxed curriculum, though planned for you, is still time consuming. We've done HOD as well as MFW, and they both take a good chunk of mom time. So that may not necessarily be your solution.

What I did was pare down to the bare essentials-reading, writing and math, and push them for as much independence as possible. For math, I simply started telling my children to read the lesson by themselves (we used CLE at the time, but now we use Saxon and this method worked equally well with both) and do the work independently. Then I would grade it and go over anything they didn't quite get. If they didn't get the lesson at first, I would encourage them to read it again, read it aloud to themselves or to "teach" their stuffed animals the lesson, sentence by sentence. After the initial growing pains, even my stubborn child had no issue doing her math independently. This was a huge load off of me, and honestly, they've gained a confidence in their abilities that they didn't have before!

For writing, I recommend simply having them write every day. You could do a set amount of time, or set number of pages or lines. Have them write and then you correct it and quickly go over the grammar errors (which they can then correct on their paper). They will begin to internalize the grammar and spelling through this routine. For the younger ones, have assigned copy work for a certain number of lines or a certain amount of time.

For reading, simply have them read good books independently. My children read for two hours a day. You can assign the books or let them choose from a pre approved list. One of my children struggles with comprehension, so she takes notes when she reads and when she finishes a book, she writes a summary of the book during her writing time. You can incorporate your history and science here based on their interests/your goals. We use a lot of public domain books because they are very rich in vocabulary and not to mention, free! We also use the HOD book list as well as following the interest of the children at times.

This is what we've done this past year. Eventually I'd love to get back to the old way I did things with picking curriculum and being really involved. But for everything there is a season, and for us, in this busy season, teaching them to work independently has been a life saver.

• Like 2

Lots of good suggestions. I'll just add a link to SWB's audio lecture on teaching kids to be more independent. I've been using some of her ideas with DS11 and he's become surprisingly independent for such an attached kid. Today he did about 4 hours of work with maybe 20 minutes of input from me and then packed his things and took himself to his book club.

Someone linked an article by Andrew Pudewa this week about helping his child overcome her hate of learning. I understand that's not the problem you face, but he outlines a good method in there for giving a child more ownership of his or her own education. You might find this technique useful. I haven't used it but I think I might next year.

• Like 2

Another factor to consider is the rhythm of your school year. I would totally go insane if I didn't take a break week every six weeks. I need an off week to recoup, to catch up on housework, to sort through the piles that accumulate so quickly - and the kids and I need a break from each other. They want time to work on their own stuff, too. 

Schooling six weeks on, one week off saves my sanity as much as simplifying the curriculum (morning time, math, and reading/audiobooks is my essential list that I think is more than adequate).

I just wrote about our six weeks on and one week off pattern:  http://www.simplyconvivial.com/2015/year-round-homeschooling

You've gotten some great simplification advice here already! Having the kids listen to an audiobook while I sort out the crazy going on in my own head is another survival strategy that's helped me a lot, too. :) 

• Like 2

I just wrote about our six weeks on and one week off pattern: http://www.simplyconvivial.com/2015/year-round-homeschooling

)

That's a great article on how to plan year round schooling. I just began year round schooling this year and have not planned out our breaks. I just said we'd take breaks as needed, but haven't really been taking any. We did light school through the summer, took a month off, began again in mid August and haven't had a break since. Now I feel inspired to sit down with a calendar and plan some breaks! I think we will all benefit.

• Like 1

Love this thread. I'm glad there are others who believe its okay to do less.

My kids are younger but here is what we do: co-op weekly (art, music & science). Math-saxon daily. I teach, they do the worksheets. My 6 yo does require some help. English- excellence in writing. Dvd for my 8 yo independent. Wwe 1 for my 6 yo or copywork- usually what we are memorizing (often bible verses). They do sequential spelling on dvd independently. We read the bible together. Read alouds or audio books. Occasionally we read a page from a history encyclopedia and draw something about it. Then check out books if interested.

• Like 1