Menu

Update in OP: Surgery today: Gallbladder surgery

trulycrabby

Update: I developed fever and increased pain Friday night, so surgery was Saturday afternoon. I am sore but feeling much better than Friday night. :)

Hello, just found out that my gallbladder needs to be removed, and was wondering how much down time I need to schedule. I can assign autonomous work for ds11, and can hand some things over to my retired-teacher mom; I just need to know for approximately how long.

Sounds like a bummer, but it's actually good news. It's an easy surgery and I will feel much better afterwards. So, congratulations are in order. ;)

Oh, second question: Is there anything I can do for pain relief before the surgery besides narcotics? :o

• Like 1

Congratulations!  

It's not a bad surgery.  Really.  But give yourself longer than you think you'll need to recover.  I would plan on giving yourself a week of rest, if you can.  If you can't just plan for naps after the first 3 days.  Seriously, plan in rest times and don't overdue it.  When you feel great, just be thankful and don't be tempted to do too much!

Whatever you do, don't do what I did:  don't decide you feel great the next day and see a fabulous sale on art canvases and painting supplies and go *shopping* the next day.  Just.  Don't.  Way to overdue it.

• Like 2

Congratulations!

It's not a bad surgery. Really. But give yourself longer than you think you'll need to recover. I would plan on giving yourself a week of rest, if you can. If you can't just plan for naps after the first 3 days. Seriously, plan in rest times and don't overdue it. When you feel great, just be thankful and don't be tempted to do too much!

Whatever you do, don't do what I did: don't decide you feel great the next day and see a fabulous sale on art canvases and painting supplies and go *shopping* the next day. Just. Don't. Way to overdue it.

...but what if it's something really, really important like a shoe sale. Just kidding.

Thanks for the help. I will schedule five days of rest and no shopping. :o

• Like 2

...but what if it's something really, really important like a shoe sale. Just kidding.

Thanks for the help. I will schedule five days of rest and no shopping. :o

Well, for shoes... hmmm...

Or ... curriculum!!!!   

You get a pass for those, k?  But that's it.   :D

• Like 1

If they can do it laparoscopically, it's not bad. I had mine out 6 weeks after my 2nd was born via c/s. I was on my own with a toddler and newborn a couple of days later. I did too much the next day, but if your DS is 11, he can fetch things and doesn't need physically intensive parenting. (Assuming typical 11yo etc etc). Hope it goes smoothly! (Oh, one TMI tip--lots of prunes and fluids or commercial softener. You'll be bloated and gassy and stuck from the anesthesia. Getting things moving will make you feel so much better. Walking helps with that too.)

• Like 1

I had my gallbladder out using the Da Vinci robot in April of 2014.  It wasn't bad at all.  I was pretty out of it for 3 or 4 days.  More tired than usual.  I'd plan for a week off/without you as the main teacher.  The second week I still needed to watch myself and not overdo things, but I was totally able to do school with the kids no problem.  After two weeks I was released to do whatever I wanted to do.  I had mine done emergency at 7pm on a Sunday.  They took me from the ER to the OR.  I can't imagine dealing with the pain for a while before the surgery.

• Like 1

I had been told by others who had had the surgery that I would be back to normal in 3 days.  So I ended up being disappointed and thinking I was a wimp or not a good healer or something.  When I saw my surgeon after one week, he thought I was recovering nicely and relatively quickly, which made me feel better.  My experience was the the first week I was very tired and pretty useless compared to normal.  It really took me a full two weeks and maybe even part of a third before I had all of my energy back and was feeling back to normal again (or actually better than normal because I had been in an extreme amount of pain and throwing up from the bad gall bladder before the surgery). I hope all goes well for you.

• Like 3

I had been told by others who had had the surgery that I would be back to normal in 3 days. So I ended up being disappointed and thinking I was a wimp or not a good healer or something. When I saw my surgeon after one week, he thought I was recovering nicely and relatively quickly, which made me feel better. My experience was the the first week I was very tired and pretty useless compared to normal. It really took me a full two weeks and maybe even part of a third before I had all of my energy back and was feeling back to normal again (or actually better than normal because I had been in an extreme amount of pain and throwing up from the bad gall bladder before the surgery). I hope all goes well for you.

This is how my husband was last year when his was removed. It wasn't awful, but it was much worse than I was expecting from all of the "oh, it's an easy surgery!" remarks.
  • Like 2

In my experience, it depends on the person. The time it takes someone else to recover has no bearing on how long it will take you to recover. I was quite angry at my surgeon for leading me to believe my recovery would be a snap and essentially a minor inconvenience. That didn't turn out to be true for me at all, and I was one of the unlucky minority of patients who experienced post-cholecystectomy syndrome. I had more pain than he told me to expect, and it took quite a bit longer than I had anticipated to feel better. If he had been more realistic when telling me what to expect, I wouldn't have been so upset. With all that said, I never regretted having the surgery, and even with all the other issues I had, it still beat having gall bladder attacks. Good luck!

• Like 1

Give yourself a week. The first 24 hours you are out, out. I was posting in Facebook, apparently, but do not recall it. Other than that, I was peeing and sleeping and drinking a bit. Days two and three I did a lot of napping. Y day 4 I could do some work with my daughter and I even drive, though I don't recommend that. By one week, I was feeling really good but still more tired than usual. I'd assign independent work for the first week but know you will probably be up to doing some minimal teaching by day four.

I had the surgery just a few short months ago and it was totally worth it.

• Like 1

I had my gallbladder out using the Da Vinci robot in April of 2014. I can't imagine dealing with the pain for a while before the surgery.

I believe the surgeon is using the DaVinci robot, which I am actually rather suspicious about. Remember the uterine morcellation and uterine cancer association? Will do research though.

Yeah, I am not a happy camper right now regrding pain, but have heard that nsaids and/or opiods are not good options for gallbladder pain. Hopefully the surgery will be soon.

I believe the surgeon is using the DaVinci robot, which I am actually rather suspicious about. Remember the uterine morcellation and uterine cancer association? Will do research though.

Yeah, I am not a happy camper right now regrding pain, but have heard that nsaids and/or opiods are not good options for gallbladder pain. Hopefully the surgery will be soon.

The OB ward mistakenly gave me a morphine shot. It increased the pain a million times. I was begging DH and the midwife to hold a pillow over my face until I passed out. My midwife was irate at them. Ugh! Hope your pain eases soon.

• Like 1

That has nothing to do with gallbladders.  Morcellation of a uterus is sometimes done when removing it laparoscopically (Da Vinci or not) in order to fit it through the cuts made on the abdomen.  A uterus is too big without cutting it.  The problem was doctors were using that technique when they assumed fibroids but there was actually cancer.  Actually, they were using that technique even when there was known cancer (I know someone this happened to).  The cancer already existed in the uterus and could be spread since the uterus was being cut up and so the cancer cells could spread.  Unless your gallbladder in cancerous, this is not an issue for gallbladder surgery.  My gallbladder was removed intact.

• Like 1

I had complications (my liver was compromised because of how huge and infected the gall bladder had gotten - the surgeon asked to save my gall bladder for studies and count the stones...ick!) and it took three weeks before I felt really better. BUT I felt much better vs. having to live with that pain. I took nothing for the pain before - why did I not get pain medicine? It was so inflamed you could see it poking it out a little and I am not skinny!!!  I had a mostly liquid diet for a week after. I would watch educational videos and listen to great book on audio while you recover. Hope you feel better soon.

• Like 1

Both my sisters, my mom, and my dad had laparoscopic gall bladder surgery, I'd say they felt fine with in 3 or 4 days.  I had to have an *emergency removal and was in the hospital for 6 days (on morphine for 2-3) and it took weeks before I felt okay. I was also about 6 weeks postpartum  but it was an easy delivery/recovery.

For now to help with pain/issues, I'd stay away from fats, and potatoes (that may have been just me?) spicy foods etc.... My mom babied her gall bladder and put off surgery for years by drinking apple cider vinegar, the real thick stuff with lots of bits in it or just apple cider.  

*Doctor tried to do the laparoscopic procedure but gall bladder began to disintegrate and he had to get it out quick.  Huge 8 inch scar.

• Like 1

That has nothing to do with gallbladders. Morcellation of a uterus is sometimes done when removing it laparoscopically (Da Vinci or not) in order to fit it through the cuts made on the abdomen. A uterus is too big without cutting it. The problem was doctors were using that technique when they assumed fibroids but there was actually cancer. Actually, they were using that technique even when there was known cancer (I know someone this happened to). The cancer already existed in the uterus and could be spread since the uterus was being cut up and so the cancer cells could spread. Unless your gallbladder in cancerous, this is not an issue for gallbladder surgery. My gallbladder was removed intact.

Thank you, I didn't think they morcellated the gallbladder, but then again, I haven't done any research on it yet.

I had mine out 12 days ago.  I needed a week to recover.  It was tougher than I thought.  If you know that you get nauseous from anesthesia, definitely discuss that with the Dr.  I had a tough time getting that under control in recovery and throwing up after abdominal surgery is on my top ten list of crappy experiences now!

I had my surgery on a Friday and I was able to have my kids do school the following week but it was mostly their independent work.  This week is much better and things are getting back to normal.  Keep in mind you won't be able to lift anything, my DD13 has been doing the laundry.

I hope you have a speed recovery!

• Like 1

I needed a week to get back on my feet--4 days of absolutely nothing, followed by 3 or 4 of light duty.

( And then I got to deal with the sutures, which my body was pushing out--I had what looked like fishing line poking out of all of my incisions. Not a big deal, since they just snipped them off, but enough to freak me out the first time I found them. LOL!)

• Like 1

I haven't had the surgery but work PACU these days.  We really encourage patients to go home and start moving within 8 hours post op. I also worked med/surg  when lap surgery  was new.  The best thing to help move the "air" out of your body and start feeling better is walking.  I had patients hating  us but we had them walking the halls the afternoon of surgery.   I know it seems mean but it really does help healing.

I know you will  feel like crap but hold a pillow and start small walks in you house make yourself get up every few hours.  The longer you sit the more gas pain/pressure which stays at the surgical sight making the pain last longer. There is also radiating pain some patients feel  in there mostly left shoulder. 

I really hope you have a quick recovery.  I've had another type of lap surgery.  The gas pain was hell.  I had to make myself get up and move.   I had 2 small kids so there was not much recovery time. 

Back in nursing school 25 years ago,   We were told to look for gallbladder symptoms post partum it has been known for years that a gallbladder attacks happen post partum.  I can't remember the reasons.  :confused1:    We did see a lot of postpartum women with gall bladder issues when I worked ER.  

• Like 1

I haven't had the surgery but work PACU these days. We really encourage patients to go home and start moving within 8 hours post op. I also worked med/surg when lap surgery was new. The best thing to help move the "air" out of your body and start feeling better is walking. I had patients hating us but we had them walking the halls the afternoon of surgery. I know it seems mean but it really does help healing.

I know you will feel like crap but hold a pillow and start small walks in you house make yourself get up every few hours. The longer you sit the more gas pain/pressure which stays at the surgical sight making the pain last longer. There is also radiating pain some patients feel in there mostly left shoulder.

I really hope you have a quick recovery. I've had another type of lap surgery. The gas pain was hell. I had to make myself get up and move. I had 2 small kids so there was not much recovery time.

Back in nursing school 25 years ago, We were told to look for gallbladder symptoms post partum it has been known for years that a gallbladder attacks happen post partum. I can't remember the reasons. :confused1: We did see a lot of postpartum women with gall bladder issues when I worked ER.

Thank you! I normally walk a lot, so will definitely walk post surgery. I have had abdoninal laparoscopy,and have fond (not) memories of the gas pains. :ack2:

Thanks again, everyone! I really appreciate all your advice! :hurray:

I had it done lapro.

It may be awhile before you can return to your regular eating habits, depending on what your particular trigger is. Mine was dairy, so it took me a few months to be able to handle it normally again.

The actual incision sites weren't bad. A bit sore, but totally manageable.

While you will be constipated, I strongly advise avoiding Milk of Magnesia and the like. I had a horrible experience a few days post-surgery because I was impatient with my movements lol.

Lots of walking, no strenuous exercise, and lots of fluids.

I had some unique complications so they ended up opening me up and I ended up in the hospital for 6 days and had to keep a drain in for over a month.  So my recovery was several months long.  On the other hand when my sister had hers out it was an outpatient surgery and she went back to work the next week.  But from my experiences with other surgeries, I would give yourself a week with as little work as possible, meaning nothing more complicated than laying on the couch and directing traffic occasionally.  And a second week of light duty (make some freezer meals ahead so you don't have to cook for two weeks).  It's better to allow yourself more time to recover and not need it than to under plan and be suffering because your body isn't ready for things.

• Like 2