Menu

Why you should not make your bed every day...

Liz CA

I know I've read old advice (maybe in one of Charlotte Mason's books) that said you ought to let your sheets air for a few hours before making the bed.

I air mine out. I am a bit of a slob, but I hate an unmade bed (even mostly make them at hotels too), but I do air ours out each day. I agree w/ a PP that I must get into a made bed at night, though. 

I think I first heard about this when I read that Europeans air out their beds all day.

• Like 1

Avid daily bed maker here. I have heard that bit about dustmites before, but as they have been keeping me company for 44 years without incident, I plan to continue having a neat and comforting bedroom.

I have also read that my pillows are surely made up of 60% dust mite carcasses and sloughed skin cells by now, but throwing away pillows is wasteful. Plus, see above. Hasn't hurt me yet.

• Like 9

Avid daily bed maker here. I have heard that bit about dustmites before, but as they have been keeping me company for 44 years without incident, I plan to continue having a neat and comforting bedroom.

I have also read that my pillows are surely made up of 60% dust mite carcasses and sloughed skin cells by now, but throwing away pillows is wasteful. Plus, see above. Hasn't hurt me yet.

Eww.

• Like 1

:w00t: :ohmy: :gnorsi:

Grandma always said what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

I have been making my bed everyday, first thing I do in the morning, for years. But the last 6 months I'm having more and more allergy problems, feeling really bad when I get up in the morning, and investigating dust mite allergy I also run into that advice. Now I air the bed out, but I haven't felt any difference yet. The unmade beds bother me to no end  :glare: .

(Allergy covers did make somewhat of a difference, though.)

Don't y'all remember Anne of Green Gables? Marilla taught Anne to open and air out her bedding, then go back and make up the bed later. I'd never heard of that before and thought it so refreshing. But then, a crisp Canadian breeze would certainly be more effective than humid gulf coast air.

• Like 3

Don't y'all remember Anne of Green Gables? Marilla taught Anne to open and air out her bedding, then go back and make up the bed later. I'd never heard of that before and thought it so refreshing. But then, a crisp Canadian breeze would certainly be more effective than humid gulf coast air.

I should have remembered that! I am currently re-reading Anne of the Island.

If Marilla did it, then it must be right!

• Like 1

Know what you mean about humidity.  I'm finding it funny to imagine that leaving the bed open would actually let things dry.  Towels never get dry before the next bath.  Nothing gets dry by this "hanging-up magic" that other people have ;-)

I have allergy covers and wash the sheets once a week and never make the bed (but just because I'm lazy, not because I thought it was good for me!)

• Like 1

I air mine out with an open window in the room for an hour or two and then make the bed.  It's my happy medium. The sheets are so much fresher this way! And I cannot tolerate unmade beds....pet peeve. Cheryl Mendelson recommends this approach in Home Comforts and I find that it works well for me!

• Like 1