Menu

A kitchen gift for someone who hates to cook?

J-rap

I would like to get a kitchen gift for someone who hates to cook.  This is a young person who is now living independently, and really needs to learn how to cook, at least a little, but has absolutely no interest in it.  What is a $50-$75 gift I can give her that might inspire her?  Something that makes cooking seem like it can be simple and fun?  I thought about a "dump recipe" cookbook with a couple of "dump meal" ingredients, for example.  But it can't include fresh ingredients (since it will be under the tree for awhile).

Anyway, just looking for ideas...

A Crock-Pot?

I have never enjoyed cooking but my Crock-Pot gets tons of use. Coming home to the smell of a hot meal waiting and ready to eat might help her appreciate simple and easy cooking.

This was going to be my suggestion as well. I love having a crock-pot for those days when I'm too busy or too lazy to cook!

• Like 1

Instant Pot. http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-LUX50-Programmable-Stainless/dp/B006E7I7MG/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1446999596&sr=1-4&keywords=Instant+pot

This person doesn't nee to fall in love with cooking all of a sudden. She needs to find a convenient way to cook ;-).

This looks interesting.  Can you recommend a (very simple) recipe book to go with it?

• Like 1

A Crock-Pot?

I have never enjoyed cooking but my Crock-Pot gets tons of use. Coming home to the smell of a hot meal waiting and ready to eat might help her appreciate simple and easy cooking.

I'm quite sure she has a crock pot, but doesn't have any interest in using it.  Maybe a really simple, clear, colorful recipe book to go with it that someone can recommend?  Like 5-ingredient recipes for crock pots?

I'm not sure why someone NEEDS to learn to cook, but I love, love, love my Pampered Chef Baking Stones.  I have the round stones for pizza, which can be used for multiple other things.

Something like that would probably get use, even if they don't cook, because who doesn't pop frozen pizza into the oven every once in a while!

• Like 2

Whatever you choose, save your receipt.

If I was the young person in question, I would be very disappointed to look under the tree on Christmas morning to find a $75.00 gift I didn't want.

Some people never learn to cook. I don't think it's something you can force on them. If you take her shopping and she expresses an interest in a certain piece of equipment, or if you just decide to give her a kitchen item as a non-holiday surprise, that would be different, but I wouldn't buy her a Christmas gift she probably won't want or use.

Sorry to sound so negative!

• Like 15

How about a Yonanas machine as a starter?  It makes really good sorbets and ice cream-like desserts from frozen bananas and other fruit.  We have the bigger model.  It's easy to use -- clean up is easy too.  Yes, the desserts are quite good.  You do have to peel, freeze, and slightly thaw frozen bananas in advance.  Maybe that can gently introduce the young recipient to the idea that cooking does require some preparation.

http://yonanas.com

The thing is, if your young friend doesn't like it, I'm sure she will find someone happy to take it!

• Like 2

If I was the young person in question, I would be very disappointed to look under the tree on Christmas morning to find a $75.00 gift I didn't want.

Some people never learn to cook. I don't think it's something you can force on them. If you take her shopping and she expresses an interest in a certain piece of equipment, or if you just decided to give her a kitchen item as a non-holiday surprise, that would be different, but I wouldn't buy her a Christmas gift she probably won't want or use.

I was thinking the same thing.

• Like 2

I'm not sure why someone NEEDS to learn to cook, but I love, love, love my Pampered Chef Baking Stones.  I have the round stones for pizza, which can be used for multiple other things.

Something like that would probably get use, even if they don't cook, because who doesn't pop frozen pizza into the oven every once in a while!

But doesn't someone who plans to begin a family soon need to know how to cook, at least a little?

I agree about the Pampered Chef baking stones though!  One of my daughters has one and uses it probably every single day.

I'm quite sure she has a crock pot, but doesn't have any interest in using it. Maybe a really simple, clear, colorful recipe book to go with it that someone can recommend? Like 5-ingredient recipes for crock pots?

If she doesn't like to cook, shopping for the five ingredients, washing them, chopping them up, doing any other prep work, and then cleaning it all up afterward will still seem like a huge chore, particularly if she is only cooking for herself. It all takes time and effort that isn't necessary if she eats out or pops something in the microwave or a saucepan.

I think you need to look at this from the perspective of someone who isn't interested in cooking. :)

• Like 4

"The thing is, if they don't want to learn they won't. I picked up the book and read some useful info (the difference between the pots and pans). I am glad we have the book. I think it's a useful one to have, but won't do any good sitting on the shelf. Will the person you're shopping for just set it on the shelf or donate it? Will they be irritated rather than encouraged? You'll just have to feel this out."

I tried to quote this, but it wouldn't let me for some reason.

Anyway, I'll check out that book. 

And you're right, I definitely don't want to irritate her.  I'm trying to get a feel for this right now, actually.

• Like 2

Some people never learn to cook. I don't think it's something you can force on them. If you take her shopping and she expresses an interest in a certain piece of equipment, or if you just decide to give her a kitchen item as a non-holiday surprise, that would be different, but I wouldn't buy her a Christmas gift she probably won't want or use.

I know, this is what I'm afraid of.  But wouldn't you want to be able to feed your children, at least?  Do you think getting 5 bags of ingredients for a crockpot for pre-planned meals might be a good idea?  And then maybe that would encourage her...

If she doesn't like to cook, shopping for the five ingredients, washing them, chopping them up, doing any other prep work, and then cleaning it all up afterward will still seem like a huge chore, particularly if she is only cooking for herself. It all takes time and effort that isn't necessary if she eats out or pops something in the microwave or a saucepan.

I think you need to look at this from the perspective of someone who isn't interested in cooking. :)

I know.  But this is someone who is planning to start a family soon, and it just seems like basics would be helpful and maybe encouraging.  But yeah, I don't want her gift to be a big disappointment either. 

• Like 1

No. They marry a cook :laugh: ;)

There are a couple of reasons I don't know how to cook much. I can't tell you how many times I've had a meal that seemed to take so much time and so many dishes to create that it didn't even seem worth the hassle. My hatred for dishes trumps my desire for cooking much of the time. Also, I seem to dislike key components of the average recipes (onions, tomato, spicy food in general, handling raw meat). The OP may need to find out more.

So how do you feed your children?  Does your husband do all the cooking?  My husband is the main cook in our family, so I do understand somewhat.  But still, I learned how to cook because at some point it's what worked out for our family.  (For example, when I was home all day homeschooling, etc.)

In college someone gave me a book titled something like Where is Mom Now that I need her?   It had mostly recipes.  inlcuding for super-simple things like how to cook hot dogs, how to scramble an egg. I even think it talked about cooking on a hotplate, but I could be confused on that.  

It also had a section on stain removing, sorting laundry, and some blank pages for writing in family recipes.  I think the idea was for mom to give the child leaving the nest the cookbook.  

• Like 2

Does this person have a partner? If so, cooking doesn't need to fall only on her.

If this is a daughter in law please don't.

If this is a daughter then why not just say "I'm here to help if you want to learn to cook someday" without making it a "gift".

Unless requested I don't think " gifts" that even accidentally hint at a perceived "lack" are *ever* a good idea.

• Like 18

I would try to start with something the person likes to eat.  If she loves waffles at a hotel breakfast buffet, I would try a waffle iron.  If she loves ice cream, an ice cream maker.  A panini cooker can be fun for someone who enjoys sandwiches, will be living alone, and wants something simple to fix.  If she enjoys being creative, I would try a baking set and cake decorator.  If she enjoys parties, a crockpot with a book of appetizer recipes.  If she enjoys outdoors, something for grilling.  

• Like 2

So how do you feed your children?  Does your husband do all the cooking?  My husband is the main cook in our family, so I do understand somewhat.  But still, I learned how to cook because at some point it's what worked out for our family.  (For example, when I was home all day homeschooling, etc.)

I do all the cooking.  I always have.  My husband absolutely positively NEVER cooks.  Not in the nearly 20 years I have known him.  If someone gave him cooking gadgets he would never use them.  It would not motivate him to learn how to cook. 

I think if I stopped cooking, we'd probably buy a lot of ready made stuff from the grocery store or extremely simple things.  I am 100% certain that if I stopped cooking that he would not feel motivated to learn.  He just doesn't like doing it.  He'd be happy eating cheese on bread as his meal.

Just saying, you probably should get her something else.  She might even flat out be upset with such a gift. 

• Like 7

I know, this is what I'm afraid of. But wouldn't you want to be able to feed your children, at least? Do you think getting 5 bags of ingredients for a crockpot for pre-planned meals might be a good idea? And then maybe that would encourage her...

Lots of people feed their families without cooking well or enjoying it. You can buy a rotisserie chicken at Costco cheaper than you can make one. Grab a bag salad or steam veggies in the microwave and you're set. Or hire it out. Or significant other cooks.

I personally love to cook, but from how you described the gift recipient, an inspirational cooking gift would be received how I would receive an inspirational cleaning gift. :P

• Like 4

I see cooking as a life skill, especially for someone who lives independently. I'm not talking about full meals, or learning to love cooking, but there is a lot to be said for being able to prepare your own food.  I'm not sure she'll enjoy the gift of a cooking item, but I understand your sentiment about wanting to help her learn to cook. 

I agree that focusing on an interest might be a good starting point. My kids have embraced our German heritage and enjoy cooking German food. Ds is very interested in Russia and as part of his language program there were cooking classes. He loved that! Dd majored in Asian studies and took cooking classes in Japan. Now, neither of these young adults have interest in day to day cooking but they do know how, thanks to their interests. And when they need to cook, they do.  

I hope you can find something to give her that will be a delight.  

• Like 2

I know, this is what I'm afraid of. But wouldn't you want to be able to feed your children, at least? Do you think getting 5 bags of ingredients for a crockpot for pre-planned meals might be a good idea? And then maybe that would encourage her...

Not really. :)

How about offering to give her cooking lessons or asking her to help you cook Christmas dinner? After that, if she starts to show more interest in cooking, you can get her a gift she will actually like and use.

• Like 1

A great many people, moms even, never learn to cook. Cooking is not a need.

I say this as someone who does know how to cook very well (I learned as a child and have refined my techniques and added knowledge every year since) so it's not a defensive statement. That said, cooking isn't for everyone and with the mass availability of cheap heat and serve options, it's no more a life skill than the ability to sew one's own dresses is a critical life skill. It's really a nice to know, not a need to know.

Also, many home cooks get started of their own initiative when they have kids and suddenly want to learn. Unless this person had a goal/intention/resolution to learn to cook now, I'd agree with the others to steer clear of such a gift.

• Like 4

I would like to get a kitchen gift for someone who hates to cook.  This is a young person who is now living independently, and really needs to learn how to cook, at least a little, but has absolutely no interest in it.  What is a $50-$75 gift I can give her that might inspire her?  Something that makes cooking seem like it can be simple and fun?  I thought about a "dump recipe" cookbook with a couple of "dump meal" ingredients, for example.  But it can't include fresh ingredients (since it will be under the tree for awhile).

Anyway, just looking for ideas...

What's the occasion?  If you're Christmas shopping, this idea is awful.  Good gift giving is about knowing the person you're gifting and giving a gift she'll ENJOY.  If she's like me, she doesn't buy much of anything for herself so she looks forward to gifts that fit her.  My mother in law hates buying me socks.  She thinks they are awful gifts.  She used to buy me "great" gifts - vacuums and whatnot.  I really hated those gifts.  Honestly, if I wanted something useful I can justify the expense.  But I'll NEVER spend the money to buy myself "spoil me" wool socks and I *really* love socks.  I'm wearing a pair she got me last Christmas at this very moment.  I know she would rather buy me something else, but the fact that she buys something *I* want says she cares about my feelings.

That said, if you want to outfit someone's kitchen because you love her and gadgets have made your life easier, do it.  But also keep in mind if the person is a minimalist, stuff (especially gadgets) could give her a borderline nervous breakdown.  The pressure to have them somewhere where the gift giver can see them vs. having clear countertops really does make me resent kitchen gifts. :P :D

If the gift is random and just for fun, do it.  If it's for a gift giving thing like Christmas or birthday, don't.  

On kitchen things: 

Cutting board with these mats:  http://www.amazon.com/CounterArt-Flexible-Cutting-Food-Icons/dp/B00CRF2JAK/ref=sr_1_6?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1447004804&sr=1-6&keywords=cutting+board+set

Or nice knives.

These are things even non-cookers truly appreciate.  

My favorite thing in the kitchen that makes spending time in the kitchen enjoyable is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICFCDK50-Under-Cabinet-Kitchen/dp/B0013CXZZ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447004932&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+cdk+50&pebp=1447004935838&perid=0JD765HMP6VR2ZZQDB0W

(This is the model I have but I know I spent nowhere near that price tag, so look around.)  I can plug an ipod into it or a phone and play podcasts, itunes, audible, etc.  It makes me want to spend time in the kitchen.

• Like 3

Lots of people feed their families without cooking well or enjoying it. You can buy a rotisserie chicken at Costco cheaper than you can make one. Grab a bag salad or steam veggies in the microwave and you're set. Or hire it out. Or significant other cooks.

I personally love to cook, but from how you described the gift recipient, an inspirational cooking gift would be received how I would receive an inspirational cleaning gift. :P

Same here!!!

• Like 2

I know. But this is someone who is planning to start a family soon, and it just seems like basics would be helpful and maybe encouraging. But yeah, I don't want her gift to be a big disappointment either.

I know women who have kids and who never cook at all. It wouldn't be my choice, but the families seem happy and healthy, so I try not to judge them for doing things differently than I do.

And I have to admit that sometimes I read the food-related threads on this forum and they make me feel like a slug because we eat out several times a week, and I don't grind my own wheat or milk my own goats or serve nothing but free-range, organic, fair trade, super-incredibly-healthy foods all the time. ;)

I can tell that your heart is in the right place, but I think the best thing you can do is try to casually ask for a little help here and there in the kitchen so she will be able to learn some basics, without making it into a big deal that she needs to learn how to cook if she is planning to have children. (I know you're not doing that, but she might perceive it as pressure if you start to emphasize it.)

Also, you may be underestimating her abilities. She may not like to cook, but it doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't know how to do it. I never cooked as a kid or as a teen, but I watched my parents cooking meals all those years and I learned a tremendous amount just from being in the kitchen while they were cooking.

• Like 5

I think learning to feed one's self while living alone and independently and learning to cook for a family are two separate skills.  Nice freezer containers to freeze individual servings can be helpful for someone living alone.  Nice soup mugs--a can of chilli can be opened and the chili heated in a microwave.  An electric water kettle is handy to quickly heat water for oatmeal (made in the soup mug) or a cup of tea.  A cheese slicer (and wine glasses if appropriate) can be a nice gift. Eating alone sometimes means meals of slices of cheese, some fruit, and a store bought mix of greens--not necessarily what I would fix a large family for a main meal.    

• Like 1

I know, this is what I'm afraid of.  But wouldn't you want to be able to feed your children, at least?  Do you think getting 5 bags of ingredients for a crockpot for pre-planned meals might be a good idea?  And then maybe that would encourage her...

Do you know what encouraged me to learn to cook for my children?  Getting children.  I don't suggest humans as a gift, though, lol.

Seriously, I didn't cook much of anything until my oldest outgrew Gerber microwave meals.  I still can't believe I fed him those, but they seemed cool 16 years ago.  Then we all wanted real food, so I learned to make some. Nobody died.

• Like 9

Unless requested I don't think " gifts" that even accidentally hint at a perceived "lack" are *ever* a good idea.

Yeah, you're probably right.  I would not ever want to hint that she is lacking.  I just thought it would be helpful.

• Like 4

People like me need to be encouraged. Having books handed to me and being told it's not hard didn't really do it for me. There's a saying that some people live to eat and others eat to live. There are different degrees of interest in not only cooking but food.

How do you like to be encouraged?

My favorite thing in the kitchen that makes spending time in the kitchen enjoyable is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICFCDK50-Under-Cabinet-Kitchen/dp/B0013CXZZ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447004932&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+cdk+50&pebp=1447004935838&perid=0JD765HMP6VR2ZZQDB0W

(This is the model I have but I know I spent nowhere near that price tag, so look around.)  I can plug an ipod into it or a phone and play podcasts, itunes, audible, etc.  It makes me want to spend time in the kitchen.

Ha, I actually have something very similar to that in my kitchen, except that it has a little TV that's folds down as well!

I agree with the people who said that a cooking gift for someone who doesn't have any interest in cooking would be a waste. I didn't learn to cook before I got married and started a family. In fact, I went several years after getting married (think 8-10) before getting interested in learning to cook. Even now, I don't love it, but I can do it.

I remember my mom buying me a crockpot for Christmas the first year I was married. Yeah, it sat in the box until a few years later when I re-gifted it to my mil. I managed to feed my children just fine by making only really simple meals. As they got older, I learned to branch out because of my own budding interest.

Personally, I recommend a different gift for this young person, but if you really want a cooking gift, I would go with some really cute spatulas/utensils, a cute set of canisters, or a cute apron. Cute utensils might make her time cooking the simple things more enjoyable and inspire a desire to do more....but probably not. 😉

Eta: what about those cooking classes where you go with a friend? Maybe you can go do one together.

• Like 1

So, I know people who have never learned to cook. They really truly do not mind just heating up pre-made food from the store. And their kids were raised on it. And it's okay.

A subscription to a food service where they do the prep for you might be nice.

If she expressed an interest in learning, that's different. 

• Like 1

My mother has always hated to cook.  She would hate to get cookbooks or kitchen stuff as a present because she would regard it as rubbing her nose into either how bad at it she is or what drudgery she has been stuck with.

Having said that, you might as a gag gift sometime when you're going over to her house get her the "I Hate To Cookbook" by Peg Bracken.  It's pretty funny and has easy and sensible strategic recipes.  But not for a festive occasion.  

And nix the PC baking stones.  That is far too high end for someone who hates this.  

Another pretty decent easyish cookbook is Martha Stewart's "Quick Cook".  Again, not as a festive occasion gift, but a 'just because' casual drop off or loan sometime.

• Like 2

I actively hate cooking.

I did marry an enthusiastic cook, as it happens.

Once I had kids, I figured out how to feed them well. No worries, they don't starve on my watch (I am on watch 90% of the time). And we nearly never eat packaged foods.

People learn what they need to learn when they need to learn it. I'd get her something useful for the things she does RIGHT NOW, honestly.

I agree with the people who said that a cooking gift for someone who doesn't have any interest in cooking would be a waste. I didn't learn to cook before I got married and started a family. In fact, I went several years after getting married (think 8-10) before getting interested in learning to cook. Even now, I don't love it, but I can do it.

Bingo. Same here.

My mom gave me the Fannie Farmer Cookbook when I grew up/moved out & I still have that. It wasn't perceived as an insult by me because my mom doesn't like to cook either. For years (many years), my only use for that cookbook was to look up how to boil eggs. (I did it once in awhile but never often enough that I could actually remember how long to cook them.) So, it's kind of nice in that it truly has *basics* covered. Yes, people like me actually need instructions to boil an egg. (That's probably why cooking never falls into the 'fun' category -- if you have to look up even the very basics all the time, it's a chore, not a fun hobby.)

When dh & I got married, everyone asked if we would starve because neither of us knew how to cook (nor had much interest). I held out longer until dh buckled & started learning to cook. :lol: (My theory was that he came from a family of good male cooks -- his dad is a fabulous cook & his brother is too. I figured that, genetically-speaking, he had the edge. My mom hated to cook & my dad was gone for work most of the time when I was growing up, plus my dad has an iron stomach, meaning he can eat anything & think it is fine. I just don't have the genes for it, I'm telling you. Of course, years later, it figures that I would end up with a ds who is just like my grandmother in the belief that it doesn't count as a 'meal' unless it's hot food. :glare:  I so wish my grandmother were still around because she & my ds would be like two peas in a pod re: food stuff. Personally, I could live just fine on pb&j sandwiches, frozen pizza, cereal, raw fruit/veggies, & restaurant food. Having a family puts a cramp on that lifestyle a little bit :tongue_smilie: , but I pretty much subsisted on that stuff until I absolutely *had* to cook.)

Yes, I have now cooked out of necessity for years. I have never liked it. I still don't really like it even though I do it a lot now. People even tell me that what I cook is really good. That still doesn't make me enjoy the process. Unless I specifically asked for a kitchen-related thing, I'd be disappointed in a gift like that.

As someone who does not like to cook, I would love something else so much better (including a restaurant gift certificate)!

• Like 2

This looks interesting.  Can you recommend a (very simple) recipe book to go with it?

It can be used as a slow cooker and pressure cooker. I pretty much dump things in there and voila!

DH got me a crockpot recipe book when he got me the Instant Pot, and honestly, I found the recipes too time consuming and intimidating. (And I'm a good cook, I just wanted something different from the pressure cooker, kwim?)

If it is for a person who doesn't like cooking, what about writing down a dozen of recipes in a pretty notebook and giving the book as a gift as well? When she gets a hang of things, she'll google for recipees.

My favourites are:

Cut potatoes, carrots, an onion, some garlic + a table spoon of vegetable based seasoning. Dump stew-cut beef. Add some water. Close the lid, set the timer. If using frozen meet, double the timer. Voila! That's my basic stew. Cut everythign smaller and add more water, and you have a soup.

Or...

dump stew cut beef, rice + water, crushed tomatoes from a can, some cookign oil, spices and voila, a pilaf.

I'd write those (or similar) to her based on her taste of spices and various variations, and she'll be set. 

It also cooks plain rice really well. And beans.

• Like 1

If this is a daughter in law please don't.

This, a thousand times over! I wish it were not the case, but I do tend to respond defensively to suggestions from my mother-in-law.   :blush: (And she's a wonderful mother-in-law, truly.) If I thought she gave me a gift specifically because she saw me as deficient in some area, I'd probably be tempted to stew about it for a long time.

• Like 6

But doesn't someone who plans to begin a family soon need to know how to cook, at least a little?

I agree about the Pampered Chef baking stones though!  One of my daughters has one and uses it probably every single day.

Nope. :laugh:

She'll figure it out when she has to, it is not rocket science. I learned to cook after I got married, and that was before the internet. All she'll need to do is to watch a couple of videos on youtube and she'll be set.

• Like 5