Menu

what do your teen boys want for Christmas?

DawnM

I'm looking for ideas for my ds, as well!

He is not outdoorsy or into sports, so that takes a lot of possible gifts out of the running.

He mostly prefers camera equipment, video equipment, computer stuff, and gaming stuff.

I often wish he liked some CHEAPER stuff... :D

• Like 6

What he wants this year:

Gaming & computer related stuff (he is always making a list)

Some new books

Steam gift cards

Other ideas (that he always likes, maybe it will give someone else ideas)...

Food (he's a foodie, so something exotic or different from a specialty grocery store)

*Good* chocolates

Cool t-shirts

Gift certificates to a nice cafe near us (we don't go often because it's expensive, but he loves it, so gift certificates here are appreciated)

Magazine subscriptions (PC Gamer, Game Informer)

Toys & treats for his cat (good for adding to his stocking)

Figurines (Lego minifigures, other figures from games he plays)

Fun stuff from thinkgeek.com

• Like 2

Ds 15 wants a stealth knife. Both he and the 21 year old are getting fedoras, a think geek t, a few books. Ds 15 still wants legos and cool pens. 

"Make" mag for ds 15 and a good mag for 21 (I just haven't found the one yet). 

We bought dd 25 and sil tickets to fly home for Xmas and that is part of everyone's gift. We're going to Star Wars together as part of the festivities, too 

• Like 1

Both my 15 and 17 year old want Legos but quite frankly that's the only thing that has been on their list since they were about 8 so it's not terribly surprising.

What they will get:

from everyone else who doesn't have to live in a house with 2 complete separate lego collections (boys and girls you know) is Legos,

from mom and dad anything that is not legos.

Actually we will be paying for them to attend an overnight youth event through our church and if $ allows take them to an event on the east coast that they are hoping to attend in February.  But they are old enough to understand that not everything is wrappable and they are just fine with not opening gifts if it means they can go on the trips.

• Like 2

Mine wants baseball gear and headphones.

My kids go through headphones like crazy. Me? I'd take care of them so I would get something *else* for Christmas and birthday gifts!

Are they using headphones with cords?  We bit the bullet and bought bluetooth headphones for ds a couple of years back.  They still work great.  It was the cords that were always going bad.  Won't help if they listen on devices that don't have bluetooth, though.

• Like 1

I have no idea but am following for suggestions.  Ds didn't get anything for his 18th birthday.  He didn't know what he wanted.  We figured we'd go shopping with him for something, but with dual enrollment and college applications, there isn't time for anything.  I'm thinking we'll do something bigger for Christmas. 

• Like 1

I'm including some past year's hits in this list since you're looking for ideas.

My Star Wars fan is getting this Lego Star Wars tshirt. He still has his from elementary school/middle school days packed away, so I know he'll like one that fits.

http://www.amazon.com/Lego-Characters-Adult-T-Shirt-Large/dp/B00Y1O87WO/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1446982469&sr=8-14&keywords=star+wars+lego+tshirt

I'm thinking about splurging for a Star Wars ugly Christmas sweater too. 

Tools/toolbox--Grandpa really likes buying tools so we usually add these to the grandma/grandpa list .

Leatherman multi-tool if they don't already have one. 

Soldering station for my builder--it was pricey but has been used a lot

Guitar building supplies

Percussion mallets

Concert tickets

Gaming headphones

Bose earbuds

Magic cards

External power supplies for phones/devices

Stuff of mine they always borrowed and left in their rooms, like utility scissors and craft cutting mat

One son borrowed his sister's Tweezerman tweezers for hangnails and was raving over how well they worked, so something along those lines will land in his stocking.

http://www.amazon.com/Tweezerman-Hangnail-Squeeze-Nipper-Model/dp/B00IJNM512/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1446983857&sr=8-12&keywords=tweezerman+hangnails

In hindsight during senior year I would have thought ahead towards their moving out to college. Misc things like umbrellas really added up in the end for my two guys who moved out at the same time, and would have worked well as stocking stuffers.

• Like 1

My preteen boys are just starting to get interested with D & D so that will be a huge focus for them. They want some pre painted minitaures and some custom designed ones so they can paint them as well. They want a game board like their DM uses and a few pre written adventures. They will probably ask for money from anyone that is not us (although I might pass on the $75 minitaures kit suggestion to someone else).

• Like 1

Go pro camera and accessories:)

I love those things. I go into the store and drool over all of the accessories.

But do people really use them a lot, or are they more of a passing fancy kind of thing? I mean, how many times can the average person strap a GoPro on a helmet (or their dog!) and keep finding interesting things to film? I have seen a lot of YouTube videos that are cool, but I wonder how many people are still using the GoPros six months or a year after they buy them.

My ds15 is really into photography and videography, but he hasn't asked for a GoPro because he's not sure what he would do with it. It would be a fun surprise gift to get him if I could figure out ways for him to use it that would be different from the way he uses his regular camcorders. He isn't an outdoorsy or sports-oriented kid, so it's not like he would be using it at the skate park or anything like that.

But I have to admit I would love an excuse to buy a GoPro. I think they are so cute! :D

• Like 2

But do people really use them a lot, or are they more of a passing fancy kind of thing? I mean, how many times can the average person strap a GoPro on a helmet (or their dog!) and keep finding interesting things to film? I have seen a lot of YouTube videos that are cool, but I wonder how many people are still using the GoPros six months or a year after they buy them.

My ds15 is really into photography and videography, but he hasn't asked for a GoPro because he's not sure what he would do with it. It would be a fun surprise gift to get him if I could figure out ways for him to use it that would be different from the way he uses his regular camcorders. He isn't an outdoorsy or sports-oriented kid, so it's not like he would be using it at the skate park or anything like that.

But I have to admit I would love an excuse to buy a GoPro. I think they are so cute! :D

When I was searching for bday gifts a few months ago I saw that Amazon has an off-brand go-pro for really cheap...

This one is $40

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015SLIDAE?psc=1

Of course, quality won't be close to the expensive ones, but I was thinking about buying this one to see how much they'd use it. It may just be something they'll use for a month and then never again.

• Like 2

I think they're a great gift for the right person.

DS is really into film making, so I think it will get used, though not necessarily on a skateboard or mountain bike. I could be wrong though!

Amazon had a lightning deal on an accessory bundle last week. :)

• Like 2

Are they using headphones with cords?  We bit the bullet and bought bluetooth headphones for ds a couple of years back.  They still work great.  It was the cords that were always going bad.  Won't help if they listen on devices that don't have bluetooth, though.

Yes, corded. Earbuds mostly. I never invest much and always pick them up when I see deals.

One of dd's devices might work w/ bluetooth. Is there a brand you recommend? Thanks for this tip! :)

• Like 1