Menu

Capital Q in Cursive. Which one do you like and why?

3 ladybugs

I noticed that many of the current cursive programs use a upside down olive for the letter capital Q. This looks more like the manuscript "Q". However I learned (as well as DH) that a capital Q in cursive looks more like a "2". 

So what is your preference and why?

Also what programs teach the "2" method?

I've always used the 2 for Q which is what I was taught and what I see most often. I usually see the more manuscript type Q in printed fancy fonts than handwritten cursive. I prefer the 2 for no better reason than it's what I'm used to. I'm picturing it right now and I think that the hand motions to make it are more in line with quick cursive writing, and I think trying to do a regular looking Q in the middle of a cursive letter would feel awkward and would cause a pause or disruption of my hand flow. That may just be because I'm not used to it and haven't been taught how to make it flow with the rest of my letters. 

This site might help - http://familyphonics.com/handwriting/table.htm

They make a judgment about which ones are "positive," "neutral," or "negative." I just ignore that part. It's nice to have all the fonts in one place for a handy reference. I happen to like some of the things they dislike.

I prefer when the Q looks more like a manuscript Q. :)

• Like 5

I've always hated that 2-looking thing :) It makes no sense to me, since it bears no resemblance at all to a manuscsript 2, and for most cursive letters I can at least see how the cursive and manuscript forms are related.

My usual handwriting is a combination of cursive and manuscript, so I usually just write a manuscript "Q." If for some reason I felt the need to be more formal and do all-cursive, I'd do something similar to the Zaner-Bloser capital cursive "Q," but maybe add a flourish to the tail or something.

• Like 6

I use the traditional one, because that is how English is written. I don't know why it is so. Many things in life are like that. :D

It's how Modern English was written when you learned, but there is no official "Q" in English. Old English didn't have it at all, and the oldest examples in Latin that I've seen look much more like Q than 2.

• Like 7

I learned the 2-ish version, and that's what my kids learn as well (A Beka's handwriting style).  I can see the relationship though - if you imagine the initial loop being enlarged to a full circle, it looks very much like a manuscript Q.  

:iagree:   I hated it as a child, but now I see the relationship and like it better than sticking a vertical manuscript "Q" in the middle of a page of cursive. But I alter it to make it even more "Q-ish" by starting lower (almost at the bottom) to complete the oval.

The "2" style Q really bothered me, so one day I sat and tried to figure out how they "decided" a Q would be a Q, and realized it probably just evolved that way out of need for expediency. Start at the Upper left corner/left side of your printed O for the Q, and when you reach the other side GOING CLOCKWISE (I learned to make O's counterclockwise, but cursive makes more sense to me starting the O for the Q clockwise), instead of lifting your pen move right into the slash.  Use a fluid motion instead of a straight line so you can flow right into your next letter.  If you do it quick enough repetitively the O opens up and it starts to look more like a 2.  Then add a curly at the starting point to make it look fancier.  Voila.  Cursive Q.

Anyway, the "2" style Q bothers me less now, because it at least makes sense.

It's how Modern English was written when you learned, but there is no official "Q" in English. Old English didn't have it at all, and the oldest examples in Latin that I've seen look much more like Q than 2.

And that's enough reason for me to write it that way. I don't live in the Old English time period, nor do I write Latin, so there you go. :001_smile:

I never liked the 2 for a Q.  Makes no sense.  I have my own style of cursive, which is kind of a combination of printing and cursive.  Hey, I should write my own cursive book and call it Printsive (I wouldn't want to call it Cursing  :lol:).  Here would be my instructions, in my Printsive book, on how to make the upper case Q: "In one fluid motion, start at 11:00 and circle counterclockwise until you come to the 11 again and immediately, without lifting your pencil, shoot diagonally landing at 5:00.  Voilà...a capital Q."  

• Like 3

One of the main reasons I chose New American Cursive for my kids to learn is because it gets rid of almost all the weird upper case letters including the 2-Q. The only one that I dislike that they didn't get rid of is the G which I hate so I taught my kids to write it the way I do which is a loopier version of a print G, but still one stroke.

• Like 1

One of the main reasons I chose New American Cursive for my kids to learn is because it gets rid of almost all the weird upper case letters including the 2-Q. The only one that I dislike that they didn't get rid of is the G which I hate so I taught my kids to write it the way I do which is a loopier version of a print G, but still one stroke.

Yes!! We just did G the other day, and my son was like, "What the heck is that thing!"  

• Like 2

I've taught my children the "2" for Q. I don't have a good reason, really, other than I like it and this is what I learned when I was a child.  

(We used a book called Teaching Cursive! This Method Works by Linda Corson to learn cursive. IIRC, the book teaches both Q's. I highly recommend the book, though! It's cheap, easy, and super effective! My older daughter now writes with gorgeous cursive.) 

This, except I just kept the NAC G.

I like their Q enough better than the floppy 2 version that I switched my own version to the NAC style.

• Like 1

Olive Q, all the way.

True story: while in graduate school (so, you know, reasonably exposed to the world and a thinking person in general), my roommate wrote something on our communal white board with the 2-Q. I sincerely had NO IDEA what it was she'd written. I'd never seen that letter before. 

Can we all agree that the cursive capital L is the best?  I loved the efficient looping and it actually looks like an L.  I wished I had a name beginning with an L so I could write it more often.  Plus, it's right there on all of Laverne's sweaters.  

My oldest child's name starts with an L specifically because that's the most fun letter to write in cursive, and I always wished my name started with L.

I didn't want to be too Duggar-ish, though, so the other kids start with different letters.  

• Like 3

Can we all agree that the cursive capital L is the best?  I loved the efficient looping and it actually looks like an L.  I wished I had a name beginning with an L so I could write it more often.  Plus, it's right there on all of Laverne's sweaters.  

Agreed! :laugh: One of my daughters has a name that begins with L and I love writing it out! (She does, too!) 

• Like 1

Ah, L is a great letter.

I hate the T and F, in too many scripts they look far too similar.

Can we all agree that the cursive capital L is the best? I loved the efficient looping and it actually looks like an L. I wished I had a name beginning with an L so I could write it more often. Plus, it's right there on all of Laverne's sweaters.

I like the D too. :)

• Like 1

Love the "2" Q, it just feels so artistic.  Two programs that use it are "Cursive First" by Elizabeth FitzGerald and a book I found at a bookstore called "Modern Style Cursive Connections" by Kathryn Libby.  It's Book B that I have, so there must be a Book A also.  The ISBN for Book B is 0-9666572-2-5.

What? I hated the "D!" It's really awkward the way the bottom is supposed to bubble out. LOL

I only started liking the D once I greatly enlarged the final loop and redirected it so that it connects to the next letter.  I married into a capital D, so I had to figure out how to make it more likable! :)

• Like 2