Menu

Is drivers education necessary?

gingersmom

I got my license at 17 and never took drivers education and am clueless about what it actually is/teaches.

A local driving school offers a program that  is 30 classroom hours and they also have a DVD version so you can take class at home.

My daughter is finally ready to learn to drive. She will be 19 when she learns. 

You need to pass written test to get driving permit.

Do you take drivers education before or after or does it matter?

Did your auto insurance give you a discount for drivers ed?

All three of our driving kids have chosen not to take driver's education because of the cost.  All have waited until the age of 18 to get their licenses because after the age of 18, driver's ed is no longer required in our state.  

All of them had their permit for at least a year prior to getting their license and basically drove with us everywhere we went during that year. Both of my sons took to driving very easily.  My oldest dd had a bit of trouble getting the hang of it and didn't get her license until she was 19.  I do think the key is lots and lots of experience before getting that license. 

We commute a long distance (well, 35 minutes each way) to sports all winter so the boys that were in that sport got a LOT of experience with highway and city driving in all sorts of weather.  My daughter commuted to school with my dh for about a year also which involved lots of different driving situations in all kinds of weather.  We felt that all three were very capable drivers by the time they got their licenses.

Funny story:  My most recent driver, ds now 18, tested for his license one afternoon, got it, and left on a trip from our home to FL (about 19 hours driving) with his older sister and two younger brothers the next morning.  Many thought we were crazy, but we were that confident in his driving ability.  He drove about half the trip, sharing responsibilities with his older sister.  They made it safe and sound.

I'm sure it depends on your states regulation.  For us, anyone under 18 is required to have driver's ed to get a permit over 18 is optional.  Both still have to pass the written test to get a permit but how they get the knowledge changes.  Our DMV provides free downloadable study books for those who choose not to use driver's ed classes.  Once they have a permit they have to hold it for at least 6 months. Again under 18 is required to have a certain number of behind the wheel instruction from a state approved provider, over 18 they can learn however.  Both have to pass the driver's portion but they are much stricter with the under 18 crowd with how they learn. Over 18 they don't seem to care how they learn it as long as they learn it.

• Like 1

Not needed. Really don't learn anything from it. Do get insurance discount, so the last dc did a cheap online version (wasn't available for my dc before). It contained video/pictures of real deceased crash victims. Powerful stuff, but should not be required viewing. I have one dd who would not have been able to handle it visually. (She also does not watch horror or war movies/tv.) I feel there should have been a warning. If she had stumbled across that, I would have been furious. Ds was fine with it, but he felt it was disrespectful of the dead to use them that way. It is supposed to be a semester long class. He finished it in less than a week. Of course, he knew all the material already which made it super easy.

My ds took it after he had his permit and had been driving for quite a while (with me). My other dc all just learned behind the wheel (after passing permit test of course). The insurance discount made it worthwhile for ds. Need every penny you can discount with a boy!!!

• Like 1

We wanted ours to drive with people other than us. We wanted assurance, from an objective point of view, that they were really ready to drive on their own. There is no way that me, as the parent, can have an objective opinion on that subject. Around here, it's not expensive. Just under $400 for 6-8 hours of driving time and 30 hours in the classroom. That's cheap, when you consider that their lives are at stake if they don't have the right skills on the road.

• Like 3

I found out that here in OR, if you take an ODOT (dept of transp.) approved driver's ed course, you don't have to take a driving test at the DMV to get your license (your course instructor will test you in much less stressful circumstances). You also only need 50 hours of supervised driving post permit instead of 100. Since dd took 4 times just to pass the written test (4 long waits in the DMV waiting room), not taking a driving test with them is sounding really good to me!

It contained video/pictures of real deceased crash victims. Powerful stuff, but should not be required viewing. I have one dd who would not have been able to handle it visually. (She also does not watch horror or war movies/tv.) I feel there should have been a warning. If she had stumbled across that, I would have been furious. Ds was fine with it, but he felt it was disrespectful of the dead to use them that way.

I'm glad to hear someone else raise these issues, because this is a huge deal to my dd, and part of the reason she has opted not to take the course. First of all, she's very sensitive, and would be deeply disturbed by the images. Secondly, her awareness of the risks of driving already high and is not going to be raised any further by those tactics. And thirdly, same as your son, she said it's incredibly disrespectful of those people to use their images in that way. In our state, that means she can't get her license until she's 18, but she's fine with that, and says she might not get it even then.

To the OP, I took driver's ed at my public high school and I did feel it was very helpful. But from what I've heard about the classes in my state now, they don't sound informative or helpful. They sound more like a legal box-checking measure that doesn't really accomplish anything. If the discount offered by your insurance provider makes it worthwhile financially, then I'd say go for it. If not, and if you feel up to the task of teaching the information yourself, I'd say skip it.

• Like 1

Judging by the drivers on the roads: Yes.

Sadly, I think the driving courses may be part of the problem there! I've heard other parents complain that they had to un-teach what was taught in the courses, such as, "don't worry about the speed limit, just go the same speed as the other drivers around you".

• Like 1

I think it helps you with some of the "got you" questions. 

I live in a state where you can't get anything till you are 18. No permit or anything. At least that is my understanding. I see traffic safety as a necessity. Will I teach my children too? Yep, but I am sure I am going to forget something that just seems like a no brainer, but actually needs to be taught. 

Sadly, I think the driving courses may be part of the problem there! I've heard other parents complain that they had to un-teach what was taught in the courses, such as, "don't worry about the speed limit, just go the same speed as the other drivers around you".

Well, I guess it depends. I live in one of the worst areas for traffic in the U.S., and if heavy traffic on the major arteries is going 70+, you'd better go that. If everyone is having to get around you because you're going slower and there's a lot going on that road, you could cause an accident. Go the speed that everyone else is.

In our immediate area, I tell mine that doesn't apply. Where there is plenty of room around you, go the speed limit.

We hired a professional driving instructor, and the cost difference on our insurance paid for it in the first year. Having another adult say the same things I'd been saying was a big positive. He also caught some things that I either didn't see or didn't know.

• Like 6

I think it helps you with some of the "got you" questions.

I live in a state where you can't get anything till you are 18. No permit or anything. At least that is my understanding. I see traffic safety as a necessity. Will I teach my children too? Yep, but I am sure I am going to forget something that just seems like a no brainer, but actually needs to be taught.

I don't see that as the law in any state.

With a quick glance, the oldest I see for getting a permit is 16.

• Like 2

FWIW - I think that most of the bad driving in my area (small city near a huge city) comes from an attitude that people think they're entitled to do whatever they want.

My biggest pet peeve is illegal u-turns.

Every. Single. Day. I see people doing illegal (and dangerous) u-turns.

• Like 2

My state has a lot of regulation unless over 18. I think all people should take the classes and have in-car instruction with an instructor who is not a their parent. IMO, it is important to indicate to the kids that this is a very serious responsibility and one way I think you do that is to have them go through classes, instruction and a LOT of hours on a permit.

I also want my kids to be licensed drivers ASAP for two reasons: one, I want them to be able to take responsibility for their own transport; two, I want them to have a lot of practice under their belts before they head off to college (or whatever post high school entails).

• Like 2

Well, I guess it depends. I live in one of the worst areas for traffic in the U.S., and if heavy traffic on the major arteries is going 70+, you'd better go that. If everyone is having to get around you because you're going slower and there's a lot going on that road, you could cause an accident. Go the speed that everyone else is.

In our immediate area, I tell mine that doesn't apply. Where there is plenty of room around you, go the speed limit.

Yes, I completely agree that it's appropriate to teach them about specific situations in which it would be more dangerous to obey the speed limit than to ignore it! But to teach them to just ignore the speed limit as a matter of course? Nope. (And this isn't a high-traffic city, so that scenario is not one they'll encounter here.)

But, my information about these courses is all second-hand, so I can't say with certainty how the information was presented. The parents I talked to felt it was not handled well.

I understand that homeschoolers may have to find a driving school if you are not allowed to access school things, but don't the schools teach it for the public schooled kids?  

In NJ, our 10th grade health class was drivers ed.  We did one quarter of health and three quarters of PE every year.  Sophomore year we took drivers ed.  We took the written test there in class.  When you reached 16 1/2, you could get your permit and the school driving instructor would take you out for your required hours.  However it was your parents that ended up really teaching you how to parallel park. 

I understand that homeschoolers may have to find a driving school if you are not allowed to access school things, but don't the schools teach it for the public schooled kids?  

In NJ, our 10th grade health class was drivers ed.  We did one quarter of health and three quarters of PE every year.  Sophomore year we took drivers ed.  We took the written test there in class.  When you reached 16 1/2, you could get your permit and the school driving instructor would take you out for your required hours.  However it was your parents that ended up really teaching you how to parallel park. 

Where I live, most schools don't do it anymore.  Parents teach, or kids take private classes/lessons.

She will have 2 years of practice before she will need to drive on her own (to hospital for clinical studies) so plenty of time to practice.

I will teach her but also plan on using driving school ( she is not thrilled but will do as long as has female teacher).

I'm going to see if I can get a video sample of drivers ed course to see if I think it will be helpful.

We have progressive insurance and I didn't see any discounts but I am going to call.

Now I have to start looking for a new car as I am going to give her my car to take to school (8 years, 150,000 miles and already dinged).

• Like 1

Where I grew up, the public schools taught it.  Where I live now, it's done only by (private) driving schools.  

• Like 1

In my state (NY) new drivers get a significant discount on insurance if they take a Driver's Ed class. It is a long class and you log a lot of hour behind the wheel.  It is often offered through community colleges as a semester long class. It meets several times a week and for as long as a regular college class. 

It also allows a new driver to be allowed to move from a junior license to a regular license sooner.  So, yes, I think it is worth it.  I took it and I am still glad I took it.  DH didn't take driver's ed, but his parent weren't the sort to pay any attention to the restrictions on a junior license.  Once he had the junior license they just let him drive when ever he wanted or it made their lives easier. My mother would never had allowed such a thing.

It seems that most places have dropped it. Too expensive. No money.

The driver ed class I took when I was in high school? Not necessary. Classroom lessons that you could just read from the textbook and sleep through the live version. Behind the wheel with a guy whose main purpose was probably to generate memorable driver ed instructor stories you could tell when you hit your forties.

The driver ed class my oldest is enrolled in now? I wish all drivers could have the experience their instructor is giving them. Well put together class both inside the classroom and behind the wheel, with some tools and ideas for driving that I'm starting to incorporate myself as my daughter learns them. He takes them to a local auto shop to teach them how to change a tire, put on tire chains, check fluids. He does one class at the local juvenile facility, talks about the consequences of drunk driving, texting, etc. If it coincides with the class time, he encourages them to go to the class the state trooper does for people who got a ticket for not wearing their seat belt. They get not only behind-the-wheel time, but also part of their road time is observing their teen driving partner with specific things to look for as they fill out an activity sheet. I can't say enough positive things about this class. The high school here don't offer driver ed. He's a private driving school, and is worth more than the $400 we paid for the roughly 50 hours of class/driving time. Okay, informercial over. :)

Erica in OR

• Like 2

If you are going to allow your beloved child to be in charge of a car, on roads where other people's beloved children are also travelling in cars - then yes. Please do. 

Shrug. I mean, please make sure your child has plenty of supervised time behind the wheel and firm grasp of driving rules and all... but I didn't learn most of that in driver's ed. And the driving teacher was abusive. He screamed at us constantly. I can remember doing about a dozen three point turns on a deserted road and him just berating me over and over and over. And then my mother took me out on another road and I was like, "I'm horrible at this! I'm horrible!" and she was like, what are you talking about, that three point turn was fine.

Basically what I'm saying is... driver's ed sucked. The classroom portion was a series of insurance films from the 70's (I assume they show them insurance films on youtube or something now instead). The actual in car part was borderline child abuse. I learned to drive from my parents, in particular, from having the learner's permit. I think *that's* what's essential - the time with the learner's permit. In our not-a-state, I know parents (or other adults) are required to log and sign that the young person completed a certain number of hours in the car supervised. That's the regulation that makes sense to me.

• Like 3

I haven't had the time to read replies yet but we're very DIY with homeschooling, meaning we haven't outsourced much.  BUT that said, I learned so much in Driver's Ed that I still use today (which is NOT true of 80% of my schooling, LOL) and driving can be dangerous if not done well, so this is one thing we definitely pay the $$ for.  I want my kids to have as much fine-tuned preparation as possible before hitting the road.  In our state, you can't get a DL without driver's ed unless you're 18+ (and we can't homeschool Driver's Ed here, it has to be through a licensed school).  We could just wait until the kids are 18, and live in a place where that's not actually all that hard to do, but it was important for us to have them take DL through a driving school. 

• Like 3

For those who are not required to take driver's ed or it's optional, consider reading the book Crash Proof Your Kids by Timothy C. Smith.  It was quite helpful in guiding us to teach ds how to drive.  It laid out a teaching plan.  It mentioned things we know or have as habit that we didn't think to tell ds.  The book also has pointers to adapt lessons for kids with different learning styles.  DH, who did most of the teaching, especially liked the lesson called "Protect Your Bubble" which taught situational awareness.

BTW, in Indiana, driver's ed is not required.  I don't know if one receives a discount on insurance or not for taking driver's ed.  We felt it was expensive for what was actually received.

• Like 4

DD just got her learner permit at 15. DriverĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s education was not required.  We had two forms to fill out and have notarized. One form came from the DMV and the other from the local school board. Latter form was for homeschoolers. Our insurance does require drivers education if you want a discount. They pointed us to an online course for when that time comes. Right now she is covered under our policy.

To me, driverĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s education is a must. Mine took place in public school. We are the driverĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s education for our kiddos. We have the manual, online test sites, and driving practice through both parents. CanĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t say my nerves are not bad at this point. At least now we can get in more practice time.

My son took driver's Ed. We got the money back in 1.5 years of insurance discount. I learned a lot from what he learned. A better way to set my mirrors; safer ways to enter intersections at lights;!- better way to do a shoulder-check. Also, the info reflected newer technologies than were in the Flintstones cars I learned to drive in. One could excuse oneself from gruesome videos.

I was super impressed with the company. It is called Swerve, in case anyone wishes to know that.

It seems that most places have dropped it. Too expensive. No money.

But they still have to teach four years of health.  I can see now having to pay for actual in car time with the driving instructor, but health class is still health class. And Driver's Ed was health class. If they take out drivers ed, then what? Another year of how to put a condom on a banana? 

But they still have to teach four years of health.  I can see now having to pay for actual in car time with the driving instructor, but health class is still health class. And Driver's Ed was health class. If they take out drivers ed, then what? Another year of how to put a condom on a banana? 

Four years of a period a day dedicated to health? In public high school? Where was this?  We got one semester of health class in all of high school and it was mandated to be in our senior year b/c of the whole banana and condom thing. Cause the state though we would have no use for that sort of information until we were 17.

• Like 2

Four years of a period a day dedicated to health? In public high school? Where was this?  We got one semester of health class in all of high school and it was mandated to be in our senior year b/c of the whole banana and condom thing. Cause the state though we would have no use for that sort of information until we were 17.

No, not four years of health every day.  Four years of health/pe to graduate.  PE was three quarters a year and Health was one quarter a year.  I remember some years it was 1 or 2 days a week (I can't remember which) was health, the rest was PE.  Some years it was one quarter was health, the other three quarters was PE.  The PE teachers taught health and drivers ed.  In NJ you don't get your license till 17 so drivers ed was taught sophomore year. 

? No. ? Only one semester of health required. Two semesters of PE. They have simply dropped it. I think my kids took the half credit of Personal Finance the semester opposite health. That wasn't a requirement when I was in school. Things have just changed.

My son took driver's Ed. We got the money back in 1.5 years of insurance discount. I learned a lot from what he learned. A better way to set my mirrors; safer ways to enter intersections at lights;!- better way to do a shoulder-check. Also, the info reflected newer technologies than were in the Flintstones cars I learned to drive in. One could excuse oneself from gruesome videos.

I was super impressed with the company. It is called Swerve, in case anyone wishes to know that.

I found this, too. I learned things from DS going to class that I did not know before.

I think it depends on the class.

In my state to get a learners permit you have to pass a test. You can just download the book from the DMV, study and take the test. you get three tries at the test. After the third try, a person who is under 18 failing must take or retake a driver's ed course. Dd passed the test on the first try no drivers ed course. Ds passed on the third, having had drivers ed previous to any of his attempts.

After getting the permit if you are under 18, you must still take the drivers ed course, have proof of passing the course, complete a log of driving hours, and take a behind the wheel class.

My dd did learn some useful things in her drivers ed class. So, I'm glad she took it. She attends public high school, so it was taught through PE class. I have heard good and bad about private classes. I had to pay for behind the wheel. It was also offered by the public school, but in the continuing education programs. A person does not need to be a public school student to tme the behind the wheel class here. They do need to meet the other requirements.

I think adults get to skip all those steps. I'd still spring for defensive driving. Also, if you can avoid a 17 yo male having a license a little longer it can save you money. Some of my friends had insurance rates that shot up 1000-2000, when they insured teen boys. We had hardly any increase for dd--in addition to being female she had honor discount and she completed a new driver program for our insurance company. It's my understanding insurance rates for males dont start dropping until age 24.

When I learned to drive, there were a few programs that I could take that would mean there was no extra insurance to have me as an occasional driver.  Driver's ed was not one of them, though I think it did give some advantage.

Anyway - I think this depends on your insurance company.

However, insurance rates vary state-to-state. There was only a $100/year difference in insuring a teen ds and a teen dd.

Our state pays for drivers education for all high school sophomores. Kids who attend small schools and homeschoolers may take the class during the summer after sophomore year. The Y offers classes during the academic year for a small fee if the summer classes don't work.

The instructor does both the classroom and on-road portion and certifies that the student has passed both portions. The student takes the form to the DMV and gets a learners permit. The first 6 months have certain restrictions and the second 6 months have others. After 1 year the student receives an under-21 license (it's printed in vertical orientation instead of horizontal).

We did not have to pay insurance on our kids until they received their license. They were considered to be under our insurance until age 17.

Dd15 will be taking drivers ed this coming summer.

I want to remind people that they have Parent-taught drivers ed courses.  AAA has one.  It seems that most people are talking about the "class" that you go to.  

I think that the Parent-taught drivers ed is a great.  It prepares a kid for the written test, talks about the driving rules that parents may not know all the exact answers to.  Why wouldn't we want our kids to know the rules?  If completed, it gives a discount on insurance.

If you think that the "class" is too expensive or there are parts that you don't think would be appropriate for your child, I recommend looking at the parent-taught courses.  I do think it is worth the money and time.

I don't see that as the law in any state.

With a quick glance, the oldest I see for getting a permit is 16.

http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/teen-drivers.php

I guess you can't have an unrestricted license till you are 18. I had one at 16 (except for semi's and the like) in Washington state. 

Personally I don't see a reason for my child to drive before 18, if then. I am going to be homeschooling through high school. We are less then a block from a bus stop. 3 blocks to another line bus stop. I think one of those can take my child to the community college. 

New Jersey is hard enough for someone who KNOWS how to drive, to drive in. There is a reason you have to be 18 to drive here, unrestricted. This state isn't for the faint at heart. 

• Like 1

I want to remind people that they have Parent-taught drivers ed courses. AAA has one. It seems that most people are talking about the "class" that you go to.

I think that the Parent-taught drivers ed is a great. It prepares a kid for the written test, talks about the driving rules that parents may not know all the exact answers to. Why wouldn't we want our kids to know the rules? If completed, it gives a discount on insurance.

If you think that the "class" is too expensive or there are parts that you don't think would be appropriate for your child, I recommend looking at the parent-taught courses. I do think it is worth the money and time.

Parent-taught classes are not valid in all states for students under 18. As with everything, check your individual state's requirements.

I graduated over 30 years ago, and we only had one semester of health throughout all of high school. It was one semester for my oldest, who did a little bit of public high school. And it's one quarter where we live now, again for the entire high school time period.

I graduated over 30 years ago, and we only had one semester of health throughout all of high school. It was one semester for my oldest, who did a little bit of public high school. And it's one quarter where we live now, again for the entire high school time period.

I just looked it up, NJ still requires four years of gym and four years of health.  The two together are one class period.

I find it funny that on a homeschool board, some people feel that this topic is one that can somehow only be taught well by others and not in house by using good resources.

We may end up doing one down the road for the insurance reasons. I'm not totally up on all the requirements here because my kids are still too young. And we may wait until they're 18 regardless since there's good public transit here and they can ride for free.

• Like 2

I find it funny that on a homeschool board, some people feel that this topic is one that can somehow only be taught well by others and not in house by using good resources.

We may end up doing one down the road for the insurance reasons. I'm not totally up on all the requirements here because my kids are still too young. And we may wait until they're 18 regardless since there's good public transit here and they can ride for free.

Driving is tricky to teach for some.  It can bring out a certain level of stress for both teacher and student that seems to be different from other subjects and things. 

I learned to drive from my father and my parallel park from grandfather (both in different states).  I quickly realized my mom and I should spend as little time as possible in the car together in the beginning. 

I drove a stick shift (taught to me by a motorhead boyfriend) when I met my husband. I drove that car the first six years of our relationship/marriage.  He still does not know how to drive a stick shift. Was it inconvient to be living in the same house with 1 1/2 driveway space and two cars when he could drive one of them?  Yes, at times.  But not enough to overcome the 'dear god don't make me have to be the one to teach him, we'll end up divorced.'

So I think some people probably can teach it well in house.  But think a lot of other people will stuggle, not with the act of teaching, but with the stress of it and with the student.  Who, remember, is in that 16-17 age range, where so often they already KNOW everything and parents are just wasting their time talking, when kid could be driving, because, duh Mom, I already knew that.

I think I can successfully teach driver's education (theory) with appropriate materials.  I might still have my kids do the $80 online class.

Driver training (behind the wheel) will be handled by my husband, until the kids are at least somewhat smooth so I am not yelling at them all the time.  We might, or might not, avail ourselves of professional driver training, depending on how each child does.