Menu

TLC can't get enough of the Duggars...

Catwoman

To the victor belong the spoils.

Surely the natives norther Europe, Africa, and the Americas felt the same way - they didn't want or need conversion to xianity.

Being the "wrong" kind of xian is no different than being a druid, follower of voodoo, or devout to Quetzalcoatl. Wrong is wrong, faith is faith, salvation is salvation, according to those who genuinely believe that. If these Duggars (and others like them) are successful in their goal, and the region of their mission is convinced to adopt their theological views, they will be recorded in local history as having done great things for their god.

It's the same story we've seen for thousands of years, only it's less violent and gruesome on the whole than it used to be.

Some did and some didn't. Some voluntarily became Christian and some didn't. Same with this issue. I'm against forced or pressured conversions. Period.

• Like 2

Yeah it sounds like they've been deliberately vague and perhaps intentionally misleading. They don't have a church supporting them but posted that their church had "officially commissioned" them which apparently was nothing more than praying for them. And now people are upset that they are going back and forth to the US and don't seem to be doing much to actually help people in El Salvador.

ETA: Hit post too soon.

My question is this. If they've got TLC money, why are they soliciting donations? I'm generally against parents being on reality TV shows, but if they were doing these things and saying, "Yeah, we're going to use the money to help people of El Salvador," then I might be more inclined to be ok with it (not that my being ok with it matters one iota to the Duggars, nor should it). Though I guess it would matter to me if money was being used to build schools and houses and buy medicine and books and clothing and food... or just to spread their version of Christianity to people who are already Christians (but the "wrong" kind).

Apparently, there is some good questions about if she did get her midwife certification.  I wondered how she was able to complete it when the midwife she was studying under had her license taken. There are so many questions on that.The money from TLC is probably under JB's control.  

This (what they are doing) is starting to sound like a new version of grifting/mooching. 

• Like 3

It's appalling that TLC continues to foist this family on the viewing public. There's a clear majority, here and elsewhere, telling TLC to drop it already. NOTE: There's not a speck of "gossip" in that statement.

What did Jessa and the other young lady do wrong? 

If TLC wants to have a show, so what?  People will watch or not. 

• Like 2

Please. There are bad CPMs and bad OBs. I personally know of at least half a dozen lying, dangerous OBs, and one bad CPM. The CPM is the only one to be reported, 

And I will never again click on that hateful woman's link. And for anyone checking, she is a troll. She doesn't have a medical license, she only blogs to attack midwives. Period. 

Agreed.  There are some awesome midwives out there.

And some horrible OB's. 

No one ever does anything about the awful doctors and nurses.

So...choose wisely.

• Like 4

There is a strong movement growing against CPMs as more and more horror stories are surfacing of people who have lost their babies to negligent midwives (often CPMs).  This is a very controversial blog, but if you want to get an understanding of where people like abcmommy are coming from when they make statements derogatory about CPMs then it would be a good place to start:

http://www.skepticalob.com/2015/09/jill-duggar-dillard-is-not-a-real-midwife-shes-a-cpm-a-counterfeit-professional-midwife.html 

Huh, for some reason the link as its displayed here doesn't work, but if you just refresh the page then it is fine.

That link does not work at all for me. 

To the victor belong the spoils.

Surely the natives norther Europe, Africa, and the Americas felt the same way - they didn't want or need conversion to xianity.

Being the "wrong" kind of xian is no different than being a druid, follower of voodoo, or devout to Quetzalcoatl. Wrong is wrong, faith is faith, salvation is salvation, according to those who genuinely believe that. If these Duggars (and others like them) are successful in their goal, and the region of their mission is convinced to adopt their theological views, they will be recorded in local history as having done great things for their god. 

It's the same story we've seen for thousands of years, only it's less violent and gruesome on the whole than it used to be.

CHRISTian.  Not Xian.

The term is CHRISTIAN.

It has been requested of you multiple times to use the correct terminology.

Others are respectful enough to do so, using words like "Pro-choice" or other terms requested instead of inflammatory, disrespectful ones.

You can do it too.  Really. 

• Like 2

CHRISTian. Not Xian.

The term is CHRISTIAN.

It has been requested of you multiple times to use the correct terminology.

Others are respectful enough to do so, using words like "Pro-choice" or other terms requested instead of inflammatory, disrespectful ones.

You can do it too. Really.

I'm not going to assume albeto does this to be inflamatory, I just read it as an abbreviation. X has long been used Ito represent the word Christ, I believe it comes from the Greek?

OK, found an explanation related to the Xmas usage:

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/xmasabbr.asp

• Like 19

Please. There are bad CPMs and bad OBs. I personally know of at least half a dozen lying, dangerous OBs, and one bad CPM. The CPM is the only one to be reported,

And I will never again click on that hateful woman's link. And for anyone checking, she is a troll. She doesn't have a medical license, she only blogs to attack midwives. Period.

No kidding.

Most here know some of my birth stories. Don't even get me started on bad maternal care in the states in general.

• Like 1

I'm not going to assume albeto does this to be inflamatory, I just read it as an abbreviation. X has long been used Ito represent the word Christ, I believe it comes from the Greek?

I'm a Christian and not at all offended by the X because I'm familiar with the history.  Since you posted a Snopes link I'll ask you the question I've asked again and again but no one has offered me an answer yet.  Maybe you know. Why should anyone believe Snopes over anyone else?  Why is it the gold standard of what's true and false?

• Like 4

She has been called on it multiple times, and refuses to write out the word.

It is rude to do so when you have been requested not to do so.  This is not a question of unawareness and multiple people have addressed it, over time. 

I'm presuming that people would dislike it if other terms were steadfastly used despite requests that were unappreciated, like "pro-death" for pro-choice, or "pro-(insert sexual term)" for gay, or "pro-mutilation" for pro circumcision or multiple other examples I am sure could occur.   

• Like 3

It is rude to do so when you have been requested not to do so. This is not a question of unawareness and multiple people have addressed it, over time.

I'm presuming that people would dislike it if other terms were steadfastly used despite requests that were unappreciated, like "pro-death" for pro-choice, or "pro-(insert sexual term)" for gay, or "pro-mutilation" for pro circumcision or multiple other examples I am sure could occur.

You have asked repeatedly. Maybe it is time for you to get over it??

• Like 17

Other sources have the same information.

http://www.ligonier.org/blog/why-is-x-used-when-it-replaces-christ-in-christmas/

http://blog.dictionary.com/xmas-christogram/

http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/christianholidays/f/Xmas.htm

http://www.all-creatures.org/living/xmeans.html

NOTE: I vouch for none of these sites, just pointing out that this information isn't hard to find. If you don't like snopes, take your pick of sources that you do like.

And as for it being disrespectful on the basis that you've been asked several times, there are times when you might be asked several times to do something that isn't a particularly reasonable request. I don't find it reasonable to get this worked up over something that isn't actually disrespectful, but I do wonder at the motives of someone who obviously isn't shy about typing long posts.

CPMs are NOT legal in many states.  Its sort of an apprenticeship with no real oversight.  "Certificates" are NOTHING compared to CNM programs which are a masters in nursing.

It is true that CPMs (only certified by NARM) are not legal in many states, but that has little to do with how well they are trained, but more to do with the power of the state medical societies that want to control the market and eliminate home birth altogether.  CPM is not your run-of-the-mill midwifery certification. See below.

Um, it's not just a sort of apprenticeship. There is a national board exam, and at least in my state several years of focused schooling including clinicals are required as well. No, it's not a master's level program. It's much more similar to what is done in European countries where women can become midwives directly, without becoming nurses first. Of course, in some countries doctors go straight to med school after college, and don't do college degrees first. They are still doctors. 

In my state CPMs are regulated, have to have attended midwifery school, and must have passed the national board exam. 

:iagree: There is only one organization that issues a CPM certification - NARM.  See below.

I have used and worked for CNMs.  

I would never EVER hire the CNM I worked, and I will tell anyone who asks locally my experience and why.  But in general I would usually never recommend a CPM if an alternative exists.

(1500 babies does not sound like a whole lot to me)

Any CPM certs are pretty loose and not standardized. 

(Red bolded)  Actually, this is a lot.  This is not assembly line where everyone else does the work and you show up at the end with the catcher's mitt.  Homebirth midwives typically do much longer prenatals (many up to an hour, whereas a typical OB prenatal visit is like 6 minutes.)  They are there for the entire birth and a significant time afterwards to make sure that mom an baby are stable.   Like mentioned above, it would take decades to get this much experience.  They actually have much more beginning to end experience than many OBs just starting out. 

(Blue bolded)  This is not true.  There are lots of direct-entry midwifery certifications out there but the CPM is a very stringent, standardized certification, only issued by the National Association of Registered Midwives (NARM.)  The process to even be considered to sit for their rigorous exam is pretty lengthy and involved. 

ETA:  (Stuff I typed disappeared.)  Back to the Duggar girls and midwifery ... I would be very impressed if one of them actually did get certified through NARM.  I have my doubts though that they would actually agree with many of the ideals promoted by them, though. 

I had looked into that in my younger days when I considered becoming a midwife.  I knew lots of experienced midwives who were studying hard and working hard to get the necessary requirements in just to be able to take the exam.  These were college educated women who wanted to practice evidence-based care, not the misogynistic practice that was provided by most OBs. 

• Like 4

I'm a Christian and not at all offended by the X because I'm familiar with the history. Since you posted a Snopes link I'll ask you the question I've asked again and again but no one has offered me an answer yet. Maybe you know. Why should anyone believe Snopes over anyone else? Why is it the gold standard of what's true and false?

A Google search brought up many similar references, I just picked snopes as a recognizable site without, to my knowledge, any particular bias on this issue.

When I see Xian written, I read it as the full word (Christian) just as I do with any other abbreviation.

• Like 13

I agree with you ladies. Alberto isn't writing xian as some clever way to save time. If you believe that, I have a bridge I'd love to sell ya!! But, seriously, I doubt she will stop so maybe learn to ignore it??

• Like 9

It is rude to do so when you have been requested not to do so. This is not a question of unawareness and multiple people have addressed it, over time.

I'm presuming that people would dislike it if other terms were steadfastly used despite requests that were unappreciated, like "pro-death" for pro-choice, or "pro-(insert sexual term)" for gay, or "pro-mutilation" for pro circumcision or multiple other examples I am sure could occur.

And she has only been hassled about it because certain members want to have another reason to gnash their teeth about her.

• Like 19

Seriously, it is the only word she abbreviates. She isn't doing it to save time.

Maybe she thinks an X is a sexy and under-utilised letter of the English alphabet.

Blame the Greeks. It's their letter.  Blame history. If it wasn't for them, Albeto would never have known about it.

Really, one forum member who annoys a lot of people should stop annoying another forum member who annoys a lot of people and the crime is the use of a lexical item members of that faith have used for centuries? 

The ignore feature was created for a reason. It's just as much TranquilMind's choice to read Albeto's posts as it is for Albeto to have posted them.  :nopity:  Presumably she reads them because she wants to.

• Like 27

I stopped writing Xmas, when someone pointed out that I was crossing out Christ.

Yes, it's offensive, as she is doing it to be disrespectful to our faith, and not to just save time.

It's NOT crossing out Christ, it's using an abbreviation common in the early church. 

• Like 28

Catholics don't want or need them. Catholics and Orthodox are really tired of having various other groups come and try to proselytize them and their countries.

They are not the only ones tired of proselytizing. 

I am not the only one who has requested that she use proper terminology, by far.

But sure, if we are going to play that way, fine.  It cuts both ways. 

I probably won't stoop to that though. 

That's what you are not understanding, or refusing to understand. She actually *is* using proper terminology. It's been proper terminology for a couple thousand years now and running.

Sorry, but your offense doesn't override thousands of years of terminology usage. It doesn't matter if the person who uses that terminology bothers you. The terminology stands. As it has for a very long time.  

• Like 19

They are not the only ones tired of proselytizing. 

Exactly my point. The offensiveness of evangelizing people in foreign lands (and domestic) isn't limited to Catholic populations. The Duggars are doing what every previous missionary has done - trying to compel people to convert to the religion they feel is substantive and valuable in lieu of the religion already accepted and practiced. Historically this has been done by religious believers following in the footsteps of previous explorers, via the sword, by burning at the stake, or increasingly, by offering sweet incentives like medicine and financial deals. Whether one is compelled under threat of torture or under the guise of an introduced and unquantifiable fear, the offensiveness of proselytizing is universal, regardless of he religion. If one is offended in one direction, how can they not feel the same compassion in others? The Duggars are doing no differently than many churches in America or Europe have done over the centuries - they will try to convince people to convert to their religious and moral beliefs. Nor are they the first to do so under evasive, suspicious tactics for the purpose of raising money. Any outrage people have for the Duggars promoting their offensive theology is no doubt shared by others who find alternative theologies equally offensive.

• Like 5

There are people here who need to study Greek and history. What a shocking discussion.

"Stop using ancient abbreviations recognized by many peoples through many historical eras!"

Tranquil mind and jasper stone, every time Albeto types Xian she is saying Christian. The X is for Chi (Greek), which means Christ as kind of an abbreviation, and the "ian" part still means "follower of."

So the X means Christ. It's not removing Him, it is naming Him.

And in ancient scripture we read that He didn't name us all Christian, and the early Christ followers didn't name themselves Christian. The name came about as people started referring to them. "The disciples were first called Christians at Antioch." Acts chapter 16. A recognized and historical variation on an uninspired appellation is nothing to get offended about.

• Like 22

Exactly my point. The offensiveness of evangelizing people in foreign lands (and domestic) isn't limited to Catholic populations. The Duggars are doing what every previous missionary has done - trying to compel people to convert to the religion they feel is substantive and valuable in lieu of the religion already accepted and practiced. Historically this has been done by religious believers following in the footsteps of previous explorers, via the sword, by burning at the stake, or increasingly, by offering sweet incentives like medicine and financial deals. Whether one is compelled under threat of torture or under the guise of an introduced and unquantifiable fear, the offensiveness of proselytizing is universal, regardless of he religion. If one is offended in one direction, how can they not feel the same compassion in others? The Duggars are doing no differently than many churches in America or Europe have done over the centuries - they will try to convince people to convert to their religious and moral beliefs. Nor are they the first to do so under evasive, suspicious tactics for the purpose of raising money. Any outrage people have for the Duggars promoting their offensive theology is no doubt shared by others who find alternative theologies equally offensive.

No doubt you would disagree but I do think there are ethical ways to share one's faith, whatever that faith may be (Christian, Muslim, whatever). So long as it's done in a non coercive, non violent way, without holding food, medicine and other incentives over people's heads. More like, "I'm helping you because my religion tells me to. I can tell you more about that if you want, but no worries if you aren't interested. Here's the supplies I brought you." 

• Like 8

So I was bored and did a Google search (because the search here works poorly) for Xtian. Guess what folks? Many, many others use the term in everyday discussions here, on this board, and the only time people are offended is when albeto uses it. Seriously! Google it yourself. Many use xtian right on this board, xtians and non-xtians alike, for years! Only albeto isn't allowed to use it. So stop picking on her ffs!! I'm tired of having this discussion over and over again. Stop derailing threads every time albeto posts. I'd like to actually read people's opinions about the topic at hand instead of why or why not albeto types xtian. I don't care why she does it, or why anyone else does it. It's a word. Let it go already.

• Like 22

No doubt you would disagree but I do think there are ethical ways to share one's faith, whatever that faith may be (Christian, Muslim, whatever). So long as it's done in a non coercive, non violent way, without holding food, medicine and other incentives over people's heads. More like, "I'm helping you because my religion tells me to. I can tell you more about that if you want, but no worries if you aren't interested. Here's the supplies I brought you." 

I do disagree, as I have reason to interpret religion as naturally coercive (emotionally manipulative at the very least). Nevertheless, the bolded has been the rationalization from the beginning. Whether one references St. Augustine or the Crusades or the protestant/catholic wars in Europe or the widespread evangelization of the Americas (through slavery, kidnapping, warfare, etc), everyone who does this believes they are doing the right thing because their religion inspires them in the most honorable way. We no longer consider burning heretics at the stake or stretching them on the rack or even exiling them to other lands to be honorable, and one day I hope we as a culture no longer consider introducing unquantifiable fears and subsequent, deceptive hopes in addition to seemingly fair and helpful economic incentives that only backfire against them in the future to be honorable either. Every generation carries with it the belief they're doing the right thing, thinks they're solving the problems of previous generations in the best way, and only when we look back in history do we freely judge the outcome of these solutions. That's what I meant by to the victor belong the spoils. Xian populations in America no doubt see the evangelism in the hemisphere as a triumph, a divinely inspired victory over darkness and sin. Those who never converted interpret the events as far less virtuous. Those who were instrumental in wiping out cultures and religions across the globe, making impossible threats and very credible ones, no doubt believed they too were helping because their religion told them to. Duggars are just the latest in this long-standing behavior. Their mission will no doubt be marked by emotional manipulation rather than bodily torture, but no more justifiable for introducing scars that cannot be seen on the body, imo. 

• Like 2

I only mentioned Catholic/Orthodox, because I am Orthodox and the country she was going to was Catholic. I understand what you are saying though. I have certain feelings about proselytizing and the manner in which it can be done and the members in which it should not be done. Respecting others and their choices/beliefs are important to me. Sharing when asked is another thing. Proselytising people's children out from under them, I'm strongly against. Forcing a set of beliefs on another and pressure conversion I'm extremely against.

• Like 2

I only mentioned Catholic/Orthodox, because I am Orthodox and the country she was going to was Catholic. I understand what you are saying though. 

Thanks. I do find it interesting that the country she's going to is Catholic precisely because the Europeans who first settled there never did respect or adopt the opinions, beliefs, or interpretations of what their religion was supposedly telling them like you do. The idea that now that that's all done and over with (?), the issue of religion should be generally left alone is what caught my attention. It's not unusual for people to want to shut the door behind them once they're safely inside, but I find that outlook to be rather ethnocentric. I thought the irony was too much to ignore. 

• Like 1

Redirecting back to the Duggars...

I haven't been able to find any info (well, not with a 30 second google perusal, lol) on what exactly people are saying has been done with the money that was supposed to be used for missions. Are they saying it's all already been used up for frivolous things? Are they already back for good? I got the impressions initially that they were going there to LIVE; is it possible that money has simply been saved/put away for future use so there really is nothing to show for it yet? I'm trying to figure out what the allegations are and what the evidence for them is, and I'm having trouble finding anything specific or concrete. Links, anyone?

Redirecting back to the Duggars...

I haven't been able to find any info (well, not with a 30 second google perusal, lol) on what exactly people are saying has been done with the money that was supposed to be used for missions. Are they saying it's all already been used up for frivolous things? Are they already back for good? I got the impressions initially that they were going there to LIVE; is it possible that money has simply been saved/put away for future use so there really is nothing to show for it yet? I'm trying to figure out what the allegations are and what the evidence for them is, and I'm having trouble finding anything specific or concrete. Links, anyone?

I don't have time to goolge for links but the first trip was meant to be for short term language classes and a couple service projects.  Then they have TLC obligations and weddings and midwifery license exams to come back for, and my understanding is the plan is to then be assigned to a long term mission in a Spanish speaking country.

SBC I think requires wives to work too as missionaries, so the long term assignment might have required she be licensed in the US before being given an assignment.  Of course it's possible her special will do so well ratings wise that they'll have a show pickup, whatever that looks like. 

I really think SAG should incorporate reality show stars into their rules so the stars are protected and have trust funds instead of parents using the money for anything they want.  If the writer's guild can incorporate stupid entertainment blogs, why can't SAG include reality stars, especially kids, to protect them from exploitative parents and long working hours.

• Like 5

I don't have time to goolge for links but the first trip was meant to be for short term language classes and a couple service projects.  Then they have TLC obligations and weddings and midwifery license exams to come back for, and my understanding is the plan is to then be assigned to a long term mission in a Spanish speaking country.

SBC I think requires wives to work too as missionaries, so the long term assignment might have required she be licensed in the US before being given an assignment.  Of course it's possible her special will do so well ratings wise that they'll have a show pickup, whatever that looks like. 

I really think SAG should incorporate reality show stars into their rules so the stars are protected and have trust funds instead of parents using the money for anything they want.  If the writer's guild can incorporate stupid entertainment blogs, why can't SAG include reality stars, especially kids, to protect them from exploitative parents and long working hours.

Here's an article on it: http://www.inquisitr.com/2473939/jill-duggar-and-derick-dillard-rejected-as-missionaries-by-southern-baptist-church/

They both need a college education, and aren't prepared to become missionaries through SBC at the moment.

• Like 2

Here's an article on it: http://www.inquisitr.com/2473939/jill-duggar-and-derick-dillard-rejected-as-missionaries-by-southern-baptist-church/

They both need a college education, and aren't prepared to become missionaries through SBC at the moment.

All I know about the Dugars is what I read here, but does that strike anyone else as ironic? 

It's my understanding that their church/cult/whatever you like to call it forbids college education, or really any education that beyond a rudimentary level, because, I gather, it will lead to...disobedience? Independent thinking? Everything anyone needs to know is in the bible? I am not sure why really.

And now here they are not able to pursue their dream because they don't have a diploma. Who would have thunk it.

I am sure some bible college will work it out for them though. Or is that forbidden by their church?

• Like 2

All I know about the Dugars is what I read here, but does that strike anyone else as ironic?

Very, and in a sadistic way I kind of enjoy it. Big life lesson there: deliberately choosing to remain uneducated and unqualified means that you may occasionally be *actually unqualified to do stuff*.

• Like 14

It's my understanding that their church/cult/whatever you like to call it forbids college education, or really any education that beyond a rudimentary level, because, I gather, it will lead to...disobedience? Independent thinking? Everything anyone needs to know is in the bible? I am not sure why really.

And now here they are not able to pursue their dream because they don't have a diploma. Who would have thunk it.

I am sure some bible college will work it out for them though. Or is that forbidden by their church?

The Duggars do not (or used to not) attend a traditional church. However, since getting married, both Jill and Jessa have attended Cross Church in NW Arkansas. It's extremely liberal compared to the Duggars, which means, it's pretty run of the mill Southern Baptist. Cross Church definitely allows college. It just depends on whether or not Jill will buck Duggar tradition and get a degree. 

Rumor has it Jana went to college? I'd assume it's a very strict IFBC college which won't be much different than being home. 

It's not just pursuing their dream. They believe that God is calling them to be missionaries. And yet, God didn't call them to go to college? Hmmm...

• Like 1

Very, and in a sadistic way I kind of enjoy it. Big life lesson there: deliberately choosing to remain uneducated and unqualified means that you may occasionally be *actually unqualified to do stuff*.

Perhaps it will be a bit of a lightbulb moment for them, and make them start to question the family's "no college" rule.

Okay, probably not, but we can hope, right?

• Like 5