Menu

My greatest fear about taking my children to the art museum

JennyD

I used to be the curator of education for an Asian Art gallery, and we once had a kid on a field trip fall into a jade dragon, knocking it over, and breaking a piece off it's tail. Poor kid, and poor teacher! (The insurance company paid the costs). We had a parade of animals back on a raised platform behind ropes and alarmed, but not behind glass, and had never imagined someone falling just wrong to hit the base and knock over the sculpture.

• Like 1

Embarrassing to be sure, but I hope people don't take away from this that children shouldn't be allowed into art museums, or that the works need to be locked away or something. I think most artists would agree that it's worth the inherent risks to their works to have millions of people enjoy them every year. :)

• Like 9

Bad exhibit design.

YES!  Hello people - put your million dollar paintings up higher.  And drinks allowed in the exhibit!?  Are you kidding me!? 

:thumbdown: :blink: :angry: :crying:

This could not happen in our local art museum.  I'm not saying no piece of art could be damaged there because it certainly could, but not this easily.

• Like 4

OK I will confess.  I have taken my kids to the art museum many times (it is free).  They have always listened very well to my instructions to walk, look with their eyes (not hands), etc.  Except one time, when my then 4yo inexplicably ran up to a Monet and put her hand on it.  No damage was done, but man.  (There was no barrier or anything, but everyone knows not to touch anything in an art museum!)

Though, I remember once going to the museum with a mom and her 13yo daughter, who climbed into an old fireplace thingy, much to her mother's horror.

Is it just me, or is someone wearing a mask in that video? Between that and the drink and the way the painting was displayed, I'm wondering about this museum.

It's Taiwan. In many asian countries, it is common to wear masks in public when a person has a cold or sniffle, is immunocompromised, or concerned about catching an illness.

• Like 7

We haven't had a problem yet in an art museum -- even though I go frequently with a 2, 3, 5, 7 and 8-year-old.  Generally the oil paintings are up a little bit higher than that one, and we are careful to stand back and not touch.  I think it can be more complicated in a crowded group setting.

I do remember being horrified in New York, though, where parties, benefits and corporate events with lots of alcohol were popular at museums like the Guggenheim and MoMA.  The drinks were generally on one level, away from the paintings (usually in a sculpture gallery), but drunk party-goers were roaming all over the museum.  I'm sure there were some casualties.

My kids have only been spoken to about touching a sculpture outside the art museum in D.C.   They weren't climbing on it, but just touched it.  I think it is difficult to understand that something big and brightly colored in a big park-like setting is not to be touched and explored.

Then, there is always this little guy:  http://www.wjcl.com/news/local-news/young-boy-stuck-in-public-art-piece/44355006/story

Not to mention the infamous "American exchange students" who was stuck in a rather unusual sculpture.

It's Taiwan. In many asian countries, it is common to wear masks in public when a person has a cold or sniffle, is immunocompromised, or concerned about catching an illness.

I knew it was common to wear medical masks for those reasons and I've seen people in East Asia doing so, but I had no idea that costume masks could serve the same purpose. Thanks for enlightening me. :)

My dd was the most likely the last one to play with Napolean's chess set. Dh and I stopped at Biltmore with twin babies and a 2 yo. The set was on a table directly behind one of those ropes used to let people to know not to go past there. Both babies started fussing. Dh and I were momentarily distracted. Dd decided to take that moment to play with the lovely chess pieces. No harm done. She was gentle. The set is now under glass...

• Like 9

My dd was the most likely the last one to play with Napolean's chess set. Dh and I stopped at Biltmore with twin babies and a 2 yo. The set was on a table directly behind one of those ropes used to let people to know not to go past there. Both babies started fussing. Dh and I were momentarily distracted. Dd decided to take that moment to play with the lovely chess pieces. No harm done. She was gentle. The set is now under glass...

That is a great story!

The kid was not looking where he was going. His feet were going one way, his head another, and a drink?! I couldn't even tell if it had a lid on but I guess maybe because he keeps tilting it! I don't understand why he was walking so close to the edge. That protection was kinda weak for a million dollar painting.

While my child would NEVER have a drink (or gum) in an art museum, he is also incapable of watching where he is going and is very clumsy. These issues are part of the puzzle of his special needs. I can absolutely see him doing this at 12. His issues make going into museums very stressful for me (I also have a toddler an an ADHD/sensory-seeking preschooler so we don't go out much :-)), but I have to trust that museum that allows children also plans their exhibits carefully to avoid (most of) these situations.

My middle child almost defaced a Jackson Pollock painting at the Houston Museum of Fine Arts. She was about four and when we entered the museum the attendant gave my oldest and my middle child pencils and paper to sketch or draw in case they were inspired by anything. As we were in one of the rooms which housed the Pollack painting among others, my dd dropped the paper and started walking toward the Pollock with her arm out stretched and pencil in hand. I knew what she was about to do, but I was too far away to reach her in time. Everything slowed down to one of those slow motion scenes in a movie. I was yelling, "Nooooooooo!" just as one of the guards starts rushing toward her yelling, "Noooooooo!" The guard reached her before I did and grabbed the pencil. He very politely, through his heavy breathing from sprinting about 20 feet, informed her that we don't write on the paintings. It was probably the most excitement he'd had in a while! We still talk about the time Sophia almost wrote on a million dollar painting!

• Like 5

When I first started dating my husband, we went to see a Van Gogh exhibit, it included Starry Night (more than one, including the familiar one). Unfortunately we went out for "real" Chicago deep dish pizza before that and my stomach could NOT handle it, I almost tossed my cookies all over the painting. I don't know why right there, it was gated off, but I'm sure I could have "reached" it if I hadn't run out of the exhibit crying!

The irony is that the pizza was so delicious I went to the same restaurant the next time I was in Chicago.

It's a dangerous world for priceless paintings, I guess.

Speaking of freak accidents and art -- we have some art at home, including a large-format oil painting (no glass, of course).  It was out on loan for a while, when the children were young, but recently came back.  My husband thought it would be perfect in the dining room/homeschool room right above the sideboard.  I was thinking "We eat here!  We paint here!  We raise frogs and butterflies!  The children splatter their water colors!  No, no, no, not in the dining room!"  So it ended up above the piano in the living room.  A nice, safe, high location way out of reach of everyone.  Safe until my then four-year-old was still in the bath upstairs, but I had to run downstairs for just a minute to deal with the baby and the bathing child decided to add some water to make the bath really deep, not knowing that the hand shower was halfway on and sitting outside of the tub.  I looked up to see sheets of water pouring down through the ceiling from the bathroom upstairs all over the living room, piano and large-format oil painting . . .

• Like 1

We haven't had a problem yet in an art museum -- even though I go frequently with a 2, 3, 5, 7 and 8-year-old.  Generally the oil paintings are up a little bit higher than that one, and we are careful to stand back and not touch.  I think it can be more complicated in a crowded group setting.

I do remember being horrified in New York, though, where parties, benefits and corporate events with lots of alcohol were popular at museums like the Guggenheim and MoMA.  The drinks were generally on one level, away from the paintings (usually in a sculpture gallery), but drunk party-goers were roaming all over the museum.  I'm sure there were some casualties.

My kids have only been spoken to about touching a sculpture outside the art museum in D.C.   They weren't climbing on it, but just touched it.  I think it is difficult to understand that something big and brightly colored in a big park-like setting is not to be touched and explored.

Then, there is always this little guy:  http://www.wjcl.com/news/local-news/young-boy-stuck-in-public-art-piece/44355006/story

Not to mention the infamous "American exchange students" who was stuck in a rather unusual sculpture.

I googled that one. Oh, my! Not someplace I'd like to be stuck!

• Like 1

I've watched the video like 5x and I didn't see a mask. I thought that was a metaphor for these people running the museum don't know what's going on.

I have no idea what the PP is referring to either. There were no masks in the clip I saw, so maybe there's a longer video elsewhere.