Menu

Warning - *WAY* TMI - Tampon Question

goldberry

My daughter has problems with tampons.  When she first tried them she said it was "uncomfortable" and chose to use pads.  I gave her a few suggestions, such as sitting on the toilet to put it in, and leaning all the way forward (thinking maybe she has the angle wrong or something).  Didn't seem to work.

She is about to go on vacation where she has an opportunity to swim *every single day*.  Of course, she is on her period, cause we all know that is just the way it works.  :glare:

She tried again to use a tampon today.  She said this time it felt fine when she put it in, previously she felt like it was "poking" her inside.  But as soon as she stood up it came halfway out again!  She pushed it back up, and it just came back out.

WTH?  Hive, I have no insight on this and no one else to ask.  What's the deal here?  Is there anything to help her, so she can enjoy her vacation?

Is she using the applicator correctly? I spent years thinking that tampons slid out of me too because I was inserting the applicator and leaving it there. I never realized I needed to push the tampon out of the applicator and remove the applicator. Yes, I am that mechanically inept.

• Like 13

She needs to get it back further, behind the applicator completely, because there are muscles that will hold it in place if she gets it back behind them.  Also, when I was younger it was easier for me to put them in standing up with one foot up on the toilet lid--easier to relax that way for some reason.  She might want to try that.  But it sounds to me like it's a placement issue.  She is not getting it quite far enough back in the first place.  And she does need to know to pull the applicator out.

• Like 6

She needs to get it back further, behind the applicator completely, because there are muscles that will hold it in place if she gets it back behind them.  Also, when I was younger it was easier for me to put them in standing up with one foot up on the toilet lid--easier to relax that way for some reason.  She might want to try that.  But it sounds to me like it's a placement issue.  She is not getting it quite far enough back in the first place.  And she does need to know to pull the applicator out.

I second the foot on the toilet idea, that was what helped me the most when I was younger and figuring it out. Also, have you tried different brands? I have a friend w/ teenage girls. One of them got it right away and the other needed to try a bunch of different brands to find one that fit well. 

• Like 1

"behind the applicator"?  Does that mean she is not pushing the applicator far enough in before she ejects it?

Has she tried Playtex Sport? The Sport version is slightly shorter than the Gentle Glide and the plastic applicator might help make insertion go more smoothly. Perhaps she's not inserting the applicator as far as it can go and letting the plunger push it in place?

I think Kotex brand is also a little shorter. I can't do Tampax at all as the shape is wrong for me plus the product makes me itch. Ugh. I hope your dd finds something that works. :grouphug:

• Like 3

According to her, she is pushing the applicator all the way in (up to where she is holding it), pushing the plunger thing, and then pulling the applicator back out.  So that part seems to be done correctly.  We do use Kotex and it is already a smaller one that I used to use.

Thanks for the advice, keep sending!

According to her, she is pushing the applicator all the way in (up to where she is holding it), pushing the plunger thing, and then pulling the applicator back out.  So that part seems to be done correctly.  We do use Kotex and it is already a smaller one that I used to use.

Is it possible that it's too small and so is just sort of falling out again? If she's pushing the applicator in to where her fingers are it's obviously being inserted in the correct place, so something is making it come out again. Maybe try a bigger size and see if it stays in place better?

• Like 1

Is she using both hands for this procedure--one to hold the applicator, the other pushing the plunger? I wonder because I personally can't manage this one-handed. If she doesn't have a good grip on the applicator it's possible that the plunger is just holding the tampon in place while the applicator is actually sliding back out. That would put the tampon in the wrong place where it could easily fall out. And it's terribly uncomfortable in that position.

• Like 2

Is it possible that it's too small and so is just sort of falling out again? If she's pushing the applicator in to where her fingers are it's obviously being inserted in the correct place, so something is making it come out again. Maybe try a bigger size and see if it stays in place better?

That may be possible.  She bleeds pretty heavily as well, she did say while this one was only in a few minutes, it was really soaked.

I will pick up a few different brands at the store.  She is pretty freaked out by the ones without an applicator, but maybe I can get her to give it a try.

Is she using both hands for this procedure--one to hold the applicator, the other pushing the plunger? I wonder because I personally can't manage this one-handed. If she doesn't have a good grip on the applicator it's possible that the plunger is just holding the tampon in place while the applicator is actually sliding back out. That would put the tampon in the wrong place where it could easily fall out. And it's terribly uncomfortable in that position.

I found a site with some diagrams that I will show her.  Basically the site said if you can still feel the tampon you should stick your finger in there and push it up higher.  I'm wondering if she just pushed it back in but just to the entrance, so of course it came back out again.

So..no one has had a problem where they just can't use tampons?  

Well, I can't use tampons very well.  I often couldn't get them to place, they were uncomfortable, and even when I did they would overflow unexpectedly so I had to use a pad as well.  Since I've had kids I can use a cup, and I probably could get a tampon to work, but I still need a pad as well on a heavy day.  Although - not necessarily for swimming.

My advice would be to try different brands and look at it as a long-term thing - practice with a pad as well in case of accidents, and she may figure it out after a while, or possibly even a long while.   Or not, in which case its mostly going to be a matter of not swimming much when she has her period, or swimming without any protection.

• Like 1

Ask her to show you on a tampon where she is holding the applicator. It depends on where she holds it if it is going to go in far enough. There should be very little applicator outside the body before you push the plunger. 

She also could try a cup or even call her OB/GYN for some pills to end her period early for a special occasion. 

• Like 1

I didn't read all of the replies but consider going to the doctor. A close friend told me that she had similar problems and it turned out she had, like, a connection in her vagina that she was not supposed to have. She had to have surgery.

• Like 1

I found a site with some diagrams that I will show her.  Basically the site said if you can still feel the tampon you should stick your finger in there and push it up higher.  I'm wondering if she just pushed it back in but just to the entrance, so of course it came back out again.

I think people do have this problem but either get it solved because it's so inconvenient, or may not be posting because they may be thinking "I don't know how to use tampons".

• Like 3

I think people do have this problem but either get it solved because it's so inconvenient, or may not be posting because they may be thinking "I don't know how to use tampons".

I can't use anything internal.  I did prior to baby number 3 though.  Now the items either fall out (cups, sponges) or the blood just goes around (tampons).  Pads only here.

• Like 1

That may be possible.  She bleeds pretty heavily as well, she did say while this one was only in a few minutes, it was really soaked.

I will pick up a few different brands at the store.  She is pretty freaked out by the ones without an applicator, but maybe I can get her to give it a try.

That happens to me. I bleed really heavily and can't use anything smaller than super tampons for the first few days, otherwise they just sort of get washed back out in the torrent. (Way TMI, I know. ;)) 

ETA: And dd was born via c-section, so it's not a damage from childbirth thing.

• Like 2

I found a site with some diagrams that I will show her. Basically the site said if you can still feel the tampon you should stick your finger in there and push it up higher. I'm wondering if she just pushed it back in but just to the entrance, so of course it came back out again.

I have never been able to comfortably use a tampon. I have tried all the tips and tricks and many brands. Even when it is in correctly and where it is supposed to be, it's not comfortable.

• Like 3

I didn't read all of the replies but consider going to the doctor. A close friend told me that she had similar problems and it turned out she had, like, a connection in her vagina that she was not supposed to have. She had to have surgery.

That's a little freaky...

• Like 2

I found a site with some diagrams that I will show her. Basically the site said if you can still feel the tampon you should stick your finger in there and push it up higher. I'm wondering if she just pushed it back in but just to the entrance, so of course it came back out again.

I agree with the site. I often have to use my finger to push it higher than where the applicator left it. It's like my muscles are strong and want to eject it if it's not super high and to the back. Definitely foot on the toilet, and as high up as it can go. It's a two handed procedure here.
  • Like 1

She's probably not inserting it correctly or far enough up, or possibly, she has the wrong absorbency tampon.  Have her use one with an applicator (no OB brand) and make sure she sends that applicator up there all the way to the applicator ridge, and then push the applicator pusher as far as it will go.  Maybe try a different absorbency, also.  Aiming at the small of her back will ensure she has that bugger positioned correctly.

• Like 1

Yes, I think this is her issue.  That  and maybe she is forgetting to remove the applicator after the tampon is inserted.  This may sound odd, but I gave my DD a demo on how to hold the darned thing and handle it when she started her period.

Could she try a Diva cup?

"behind the applicator"?  Does that mean she is not pushing the applicator far enough in before she ejects it?

• Like 1

This feels like TMI, for sure.  I think it might be because I live in a dry climate, but I used to have trouble with tampons staying in because they never expanded.  Even on my heavy, heavy days.  Now, I always roll the package like I'm making a clay snake and/or pinch it up and down the length before I put it in, and it performs like it's supposed to.

• Like 2

I'm another lifetime OB user. Other tampons are too long or expand lengthwise. The other brands I've tried that aren't, have the wrong absorbency or leak. Also agree about size. I never could use the junior type tampons, too low absorbency and too small. 

Also TMI:  without the applicator it was pretty easy to figure out if the tampon was in far enough. 

• Like 2

There is a ring of tissue beyond which the tampon needs to sit in order not to slide out. It sounds like she is pushing it up to that ring of tissue and stopping. When one first hits the ring of tissue, there is some resistance, particularly if the tampon is pointing up, not angled toward the tailbone. One could think, on hitting the resistance, that it was as far in as it could get. 

• Like 4

If you're at all considering the menstrual cup route I will recommend the intima collapsible lily because it will not look like a menstrual cup when not in use. That would have been important to me as a teen. It's made of medical grade silicone and is extremely comfortable.

• Like 1

I had issues when I was a teen because I couldn't find the opening! I tried several times but I would get so freaked out that I would give up and just sit out from swimming (FWIW - my family was not at all conservative). Maybe she's partly not able to figure things out because she's a little anxious about the whole process and she's just giving up too quickly.

• Like 1

Can I just say, I find this thread fascinating. In Australia, non-applicator tampons are the norm. I believe only one brand has an applicator and it's one most people don't use (I know this because i could only use it, and as a teenager I regularly got caught by surprise by my periods. NONE of my friends had applicator tampons to give me). I was about to come onto the thread and suggest using an applicator type but instead saw many many people assuming that's what she was already doing. I am quite fascinated by this, is applicator tampons the norm there? If so.... maybe I'm not much help lol, I always hated tampons, as an adult I just don't use them, ever. 

• Like 1

Can I just say, I find this thread fascinating. In Australia, non-applicator tampons are the norm. I believe only one brand has an applicator and it's one most people don't use (I know this because i could only use it, and as a teenager I regularly got caught by surprise by my periods. NONE of my friends had applicator tampons to give me). I was about to come onto the thread and suggest using an applicator type but instead saw many many people assuming that's what she was already doing. I am quite fascinated by this, is applicator tampons the norm there? If so.... maybe I'm not much help lol, I always hated tampons, as an adult I just don't use them, ever. 

Yes, I would say that applicator tampons are the norm.  DD is freaked out by the idea of not having an applicator.

Also... I confess.... I am grossed out by the cup idea.  I have heard great things about them, but the whole idea of emptying it...argh... i just can't get past that.

UPDATE:  We have touchdown!  After showing DD the diagrams, she tried again and it worked.  Apparently she was indeed pushing it upwards rather than backwards. When I asked her she *said* she was directing it to the back, but after seeing the diagrams, she realized what that is not what she was doing.  She also said she didn't realize she was trying to force it in a certain way instead of letting it follow its natural direction.  She is very happy!

Thanks to all for your help!  She will have a great time swimming now.  

• Like 17

UPDATE: We have touchdown! After showing DD the diagrams, she tried again and it worked. Apparently she was indeed pushing it upwards rather than backwards. When I asked her she *said* she was directing it to the back, but after seeing the diagrams, she realized what that is not what she was doing. She also said she didn't realize she was trying to force it in a certain way instead of letting it follow its natural direction. She is very happy!

Thanks to all for your help! She will have a great time swimming now.

I'm very happy for her.

I had my period for a few years before I was able to get a tampon in. It was truly liberating when I was able to use tampons.

• Like 1

I'm very happy for her.

I had my period for a few years before I was able to get a tampon in. It was truly liberating when I was able to use tampons.

The Hive comes through again!  I seriously love you guys!  :blushing:

• Like 1