Menu

What's with the ads?

dmmetler

Would you move the whole family for the needs of one child?

What is a "lottery school"?

Anywhere that the acceptance rate, no matter how qualified you are (and how overqualified for most programs you'd be) is low enough that you have a high probability of being rejected, so getting in is like winning the lottery-pure luck.

• Like 1

Anywhere that the acceptance rate, no matter how qualified you are (and how overqualified for most programs you'd be) is low enough that you have a high probability of being rejected, so getting in is like winning the lottery-pure luck.

Ahh, see where I live a "lottery school" is one where you apply and then names are literally drawn from a hat to see who gets in.

Any updates on the application process with you dd?

Edited by JennSnow

We should get the results (yes, no, wait...) sometime this week. I kind of hope it's sooner rather than later-I think she left her brain in Reno.

• Like 3

We should get the results (yes, no, wait...) sometime this week. I kind of hope it's sooner rather than later-I think she left her brain in Reno.

She might like the video in the CNN news link of baby turtles being released while waiting.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/01/americas/peru-turtle-release/index.html?sr=fbCNN110116peru-turtle-release0630PMVideoVideo&linkId=30581348

"(CNN)Peruvian environmental authorities will release 500,000 baby turtles back into the wild by mid-November, authorities said.

The yellow-spotted Amazon River turtles -- known by their local name, Taricaya -- are protected by Peruvian authorities and are considered a vulnerable species."

• Like 1

And I'd just like to say, it's remarkable, isn't it, how much of our kids' lives and our decisions regarding their lives and educations start to be determined by social considerations around this age?  My DD craves nothing more than to have a group of friends around whom she feels like herself.

We got the letter. She didn't get in. She's taking it really hard.

Sadly, the biggest area where she fell down was on "affect and academic discussion"-and given that we'd just had a cat die and DD was extremely upset and nervous, I don't think they saw the real her. Her academic scores were pretty good on their assessments.

Oh no. :( I'm sorry she has such a disappointment.  :grouphug:

Weren't you looking at a potential move to the Atlanta area as well? Is that still a possibility?

We got the letter. She didn't get in. She's taking it really hard.

Sadly, the biggest area where she fell down was on "affect and academic discussion"-and given that we'd just had a cat die and DD was extremely upset and nervous, I don't think they saw the real her. Her academic scores were pretty good on their assessments.

:grouphug:  I am very sorry to hear that. I was rooting for her.

Please spend some time encouraging her to keep her spirits up - let her know that the admissions committees don't have a full picture of the true person when they make the decision. My son was rejected (a.k.a. "waitlisted") two years in a row for a very selective program that he wanted to get into badly - I was at a loss on how to encourage him to move on because he had spent the months leading up to the selection talking about "when I get into that program"  - when it happened twice, it looked like he was dealing with anxiety, self-doubt and depression - finally, his music teacher who is a very sweet lady was the one who took the effort and time to give him the wisdom that he was still the same kid he used to be, no matter what the admissions committee thought about him.

Wishing you all luck with your plan B.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear it.  We all know she will be a rock star either way!

Give her some time, and let her know she has a world of respect and support already.

• Like 1

I'm so very sorry. D was hit by a rejection in the spring for a desperately wanted, very selective program. She took it really hard for a day but was able to regroup the next morning. It did help that her Plan B was attractive.

All the hugs to your dd and to you :grouphug:

• Like 1

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: Sorry to hear your news. I'm betting this obstacle will not hold her back!

Bummer. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I have a sneaky suspicion she is too asynchronous for them. And you know how asynchronous our kids can be. A friend of ours was rejected a few years ago. And this was a kid who had finished something like 9 APs with a score of 5 (and multiple SAT 2s with 700+-800 scores) when he applied at around 12yo. Their comment was that yes, while he was learning post calculus level math, his writing speed and stamina was still below middle school level. :cursing:  When his mom told us that, my respect for DA plummeted. I think they were too stunned by DA's report to even react. I mean it just doesn't make sense with a kid like that kwim?

Okay, one door is temporarily closed...but that is only going to mean that she is going to find another door and one that's possibly a much better fit. Really sorry that she is disappointed though. She is going to get over this and rock it somewhere else. Just wait and see. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

ETA: attaching a huge bar of virtual chocolate for the both of you!

Edited by quark
  • Like 9

I agree with Quark. It's a huge disappointment, and I know how much she wants the social aspect, but I wonder if it would have really been the ideal academic fit. I suspect there is something better out there. Some how, some where.

• Like 3

Has she visited Mary Baldwin's PEG program? Not sure if they have the herpetology, but socially it might be a good fit.

• Like 3

:grouphug:  So sorry for her disappointment.  I hope today is brighter.  Truly, some other adventure awaits - good luck getting it figured out!

• Like 2

I'm sorry. :grouphug: :grouphug:

Please let her know that we all think she's an outstanding and brilliant girl.

Hopefully the other plans will work out!

• Like 4

Oh No.  :grouphug:  I am so disappointed. I can't imagine what kind of student they are looking for if your dd doesn't fit the bill.  :confused1:  Many virtual hugs for you and your daughter. She has been in my thoughts for weeks and will remain there.

Ruth in NZ

• Like 7

Oh no! What were they thinking? Your DD is amazing! Gosh, I know that must be so hard for her. Please tell her how much her virtual friends are cheering her on; I know that she will be an incredible addition to any program. Hugs to you both.

• Like 3

I've been following this and I am sorry to hear this. She seems like an amazing girl and you seem like an amazing mom for trying so hard to find the right fit for her. I sincerely hope something great turns up for her.

• Like 2