Menu

Rewritten (Christian) Harry Potter

Butter

Has anyone seen this?  A mother, afraid allowing her children to read Harry Potter would turn them into witches, is rewriting HP so her kids can read it.  She calls it Hogwarts School of Prayer and Miracles.

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/10644439

A sample paragraph from chapter 2:

Hagrid beamed widely. He had been praying so hard to save a soul today; and he was so happy to have saved the soul of such a sweet, earnest little one. The poor boy, being raised by two parents who were not Christian; and who both went to work and left him with a babysitter all day long. It was a good thing Hagrid had got here in time. Five years down the road, Harry might have been a fornicating, drug-addicted Evolutionist!

• Like 1

Ummm, even as a Christian who for my own reasons didn't read Harry Potter, this is nuts. Just......no. 

ETA: Reading Hunger Games didn't turn me into a bow wielding heroine and reading Twilight didn't turn me into a blood-sucking vampire. Reading Harry Potter won't turn her kids into witches. Just stupid. 

• Like 24

She's making fun of Christians who say bless their heart when they are judging someone else.

I think Sadie meant "Why?" as in why in the world would someone write such garbage.  Sorry if I'm wrong, Sadie.

Do you really think the excerpt in the OP is a Christian thing to do?

ETA: Also, I'm from the south and, "Bless your heart" is dished out to all kinds of people in all walks of faith.

• Like 11

I think Sadie meant "Why?" as in why in the world would someone write such garbage.  Sorry if I'm wrong, Sadie.

Do you really think the excerpt in the OP is a Christian thing to do?

ETA: Also, I'm from the south and, "Bless your heart" is dished out to all kinds of people in all walks of faith.

I thought Seekinghim meant that "she" the author was making fun of Christians.

I really have trouble with the idea that something with this many stereotypes could be real.  I think it's a parody of the kind of people who don't let their kids read HP.

• Like 2

Has anyone seen this?  A mother, afraid allowing her children to read Harry Potter would turn them into witches, is rewriting HP so her kids can read it.  She calls it Hogwarts School of Prayer and Miracles.

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/10644439

A sample paragraph from chapter 2:

This  was written for the Onion, right?  :blink:

• Like 7

I actually saw many Christian parallels in it the way it was even though I doubt the author meant them to be in there.

Well, we all bring into what we read (or watch) what we already have. I know people who came away from A Wrinkle in Time convinced the author was Jewish (she's not), I read all 7 Narnia books and never picked up on the Jesus thing.

But given that JKR *is* a Christian, it's not surprising that JKR has said it was, in fact, intentional :)

• Like 7

This is just my opinion and so don't slam me, please... I see absolutely NO reason to rewrite Harry Potter. That seems like a dumb idea.. Harry's ultimate sacrifice is SO like Christ. I actually saw many Christian parallels in it the way it was even though I doubt the author meant them to be in there... But I think it is stupid that she rewrote it. But you guys will just tell me I'm judgemental...

There are many Christian paralells in HP and JKR meant for it to be so. Read any book by John Granger. Fascinating stuff.

• Like 4

I was thinking of re-writing "Fifty Shades of Grey" as a Christian love story.

:D That would take a lot of red ink.

Well, 50 Shades of Grey is really a long Twilight fanfic. Twilight is written by a Mormon and many people have identified Mormon symbolism within. Mormons are Christians, so the Christian love story version of that book has already been written!

• Like 3

This is just my opinion and so don't slam me, please...  I see absolutely NO reason to rewrite Harry Potter.  That seems like a dumb idea..  Harry's ultimate sacrifice is SO like Christ.  I actually saw many Christian parallels in it the way it was even though I doubt the author meant them to be in there...  But I think it is stupid that she rewrote it.  But you guys will just tell me I'm judgemental...

I don't know why anyone would call you judgmental for what you wrote here. I agree with much of this particular post of yours.

This is just my opinion and so don't slam me, please... I see absolutely NO reason to rewrite Harry Potter. That seems like a dumb idea.. Harry's ultimate sacrifice is SO like Christ. I actually saw many Christian parallels in it the way it was even though I doubt the author meant them to be in there... But I think it is stupid that she rewrote it. But you guys will just tell me I'm judgemental...

You asked elsewhere about passive aggressive posting.

The above is an example.

• Like 8

This is just my opinion and so don't slam me, please...  I see absolutely NO reason to rewrite Harry Potter.  That seems like a dumb idea..  Harry's ultimate sacrifice is SO like Christ.  I actually saw many Christian parallels in it the way it was even though I doubt the author meant them to be in there...  But I think it is stupid that she rewrote it.  But you guys will just tell me I'm judgemental...

Not this time. :D

• Like 7

Sorry, I busted up laughing.

Seriously, the most awful thing is being raised by non-Christian parents? Also non-Christian = two working parents? No one can take any of that seriously....

....except maybe the D....oh no, not going there.... :)

• Like 6

How is that passive aggressive?????  I thought being passive aggressive is saying you will do something and then not doing it because you really didn't want to...

Well - and this is the only comment I'm making on this subject - it *is* a little passive aggressive to go "you will all just tell me I'm mean/stupid/bad for disagreeing with you". My mom does this a lot. It makes me want to scream.

• Like 15

I thought Seekinghim meant that "she" the author was making fun of Christians.

I really have trouble with the idea that something with this many stereotypes could be real. I think it's a parody of the kind of people who don't let their kids read HP.

Yes. That was my impression as well and I thought it was dead on. Sadly.

She's making fun of Christians who say bless their heart when they are judging someone else.

actually - that is a *very* "southern" thing to say.  and the meaning can change greatly depending upon the inflection.

• Like 10

So - she's written a different book.

You can't rewrite those books without the magical aspects.  Magical gimmicks are a significant part of the appeal of the books (for those who they do appeal to.).

and the humor- can't forget that.

I always find it confusing people complain about harry potter - but have no issues with Narnia.  or tolkein. (dd claims he was her inspiration to major in classics.)

can you order a tanker ship of nothing but red ink?

• Like 3

Of course it's satire!

"My father says that dark times are coming," Hermione spoke worriedly. "There is a man named Voldemort who wants to destroy all that we stand for. He is pushing an agenda in congress which will stop us from practicing our faith freely."

"But that is what our founding fathers built this nation for!" Harry cried indignantly. "The freedom of religion!"

"Voldemort doesn't care," Hermione remarked sadly; and she shook her head. "And he is gaining power. The freedom of Christians to practice our faith is disappearing by the day. Soon, it will be like it was in Rome." Lovely, ladylike tears began to roll down her delicate, terrified face. "And I don't like lions!"

• Like 4

Well, sure, the guy's name is Christian after all. :p

I'm glad to hear it's satire. I can't take any more stupidity today. :auto:

• Like 4

My cheeks! My abs! I'm not in shape for the laughing for I'm having!

"How can we focus on helping people; when there are people like you trying to destroy us?" Dumbledore countered astutely.

"I told you before, that Reddit account is a joke," Voldemort whined pathetically; but the Reverend shook his head.

"I thought that might be so at first," the Reverend commented fairly. "But it was just too realistic."

"How was it realistic?" Voldemort inquired uninformedly. "It wasn't even subtle! I waxed poetic about the sexiness of neckbeards and said that Christopher Hitchens has superpowers. It was supposed to be funny! How could you take it seriously?"

Dumbledore scoffed; and he replied faithfully, "Like it or not-your little 'joke' is what most atheists today are like."

• Like 4

"How can we focus on helping people; when there are people like you trying to destroy us?" Dumbledore countered astutely.

"I told you before, that Reddit account is a joke," Voldemort whined pathetically; but the Reverend shook his head.

"I thought that might be so at first," the Reverend commented fairly. "But it was just too realistic."

"How was it realistic?" Voldemort inquired uninformedly. "It wasn't even subtle! I waxed poetic about the sexiness of neckbeards and said that Christopher Hitchens has superpowers. It was supposed to be funny! How could you take it seriously?"

Dumbledore scoffed; and he replied faithfully, "Like it or not-your little 'joke' is what most atheists today are like."

Stop! Stop! Reddit jokes! Terrible writing! Aaahhhh the adverbs!

• Like 6

I bet "proudhousewife" is a 14yo boy.

I'm guessing most 14 yo boys don't give a crap about all the sterotypes in there. What teenage boy will care about Aunt Petunia's baggy unflattering pants suit? I'm thinking it's an adult. Maybe a bored liberal 30 something housewife. Maybe a homeschooler whose kids have been ostracized for reading Harry Potter by the uber conservative homeschoolers. Not me though guys. One, I'm not bored and no one in Seattle would care if my kids read HP. Two, if I ever write like that y'all are under strict instructions to come over here and shoot me dead. I am holding you to that.

• Like 8

IIRC, the houses were roughly:

Gryffindor- good bible believing complementarian type protestants

Slytherin- Those awful catholics

And then either Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff were the commie free for all liberal protestants.

ETA- I checked. Hufflepuffs are hippie vegetarians who eat fake meat and are liberals. Further hilarity is that Hermione is Dubledore's daughter, Ron is Slytherin who sobs into his oatmeal, Luna is Hufflepuff who wants to have a career and Draco is Ravenclaw who Harry calls hateful for insulting Luna and Ron. But Harry knows that Ron is an idol worshipper and Luna is misguided and that everyone should be "Gryffindor hat". Ravenclaw are grumpy mean misogynists (the Gothard peeps? I dunno) and Dumbledore has Gryffindor leanings and says they still let every Christian in because otherwise there wouldn't be very many people at this school of prayers and miracles.

• Like 4