Menu

Rewritten (Christian) Harry Potter

Butter

I'm guessing most 14 yo boys don't give a crap about all the sterotypes in there. What teenage boy will care about Aunt Petunia's baggy unflattering pants suit? I'm thinking it's an adult. Maybe a bored liberal 30 something housewife. Maybe a homeschooler whose kids have been ostracized for reading Harry Potter by the uber conservative homeschoolers. Not me though guys. One, I'm not bored and no one in Seattle would care if my kids read HP. Two, if I ever write like that y'all are under strict instructions to come over here and shoot me dead. I am holding you to that.

Oh - I've met a few . :huh:  :001_huh:  :huh:   we really do have some evangelical types around here. (they're probably more in the 'burbs than the city.)  not many though.   I've made comments in conversation passing about HP  (usually teens) and  I get "I'm a Christian, I don't read that"  with a disapproving expression.  umm, I'm a Christian too, and I think it's a great story of good overcoming evil.

my kids associate Yosemite with HP 5 because it came out while we were driving down there and we bought it on tape to listen in the car. . . . . and fighting over the book  . . . . no one was allowed to read it on their own, we were having a 'family read'.  :)   most of us had a go of stealing the book.  :001_tt2:   and seeing two kids sitting in a lounge chair made for one so they could read the same page at the same time . . . 

• Like 2

Harry Potter is so benign. Rewriting it seems silly, the original was just fine.

It's a good satire though, precisely because there are some people crazy enough to care!

Oh - I've met a few . :huh: :001_huh: :huh: we really do have some evangelical types around here. (they're probably more in the 'burbs than the city.) not many though. I've made comments in conversation passing about HP (usually teens) and I get "I'm a Christian, I don't read that" with a disapproving expression. umm, I'm a Christian too, and I think it's a great story of good overcoming evil.

my kids associate Yosemite with HP 5 because it came out while we were driving down there and we bought it on tape to listen in the car. . . . . and fighting over the book . . . . no one was allowed to read it on their own, we were having a 'family read'. :) most of us had a go of stealing the book. :001_tt2: and seeing two kids sitting in a lounge chair made for one so they could read the same page at the same time . . .

We are in a north laying 'burb these days and run into a lot of people who are religious but not so many who are trying to get up in anyone's reading business. More like the occasional invites to church and the cultural contrast of moms with jeans and converse and moms who believe women should cover their hair and wear dresses only attending the same events. I am not bothered by that. Some are put off by D&D at the homeschool classes we go to but what can you do? No biggie. It would be different if I tried to join a church co-op or if we lived 30 minutes farther east or north. We are right near Lake Washington. It's pretty mellow religion wise.

I don't think of "bless their heart" as a Christian thing. I think of it as a Southern thing.

Nope, the Christians around here, southern Indiana, all say it too.  My Grandmother does every time someone tells her something worrying about someone else(especially her grandkids).  She's the most religious person I know and least judgmental, but she's one of a kind  :Angel_anim: .

Harry Potter is so benign. Rewriting it seems silly, the original was just fine.

It's a good satire though, precisely because there are some people crazy enough to care!

Satire, yes. Good satire? I dunno about that! It's inelegant at best.

Now I need to add a lot of adverbs because no one can say anything in that story, they have to respond "femininely" and "timidly" and "worshipfully" and "deceptively" and "adverbly".

• Like 5

Further hilarity is that Hermione is Dubledore's daughter, Ron is Slytherin who sobs into his oatmeal, Luna is Hufflepuff who wants to have a career and Draco is Ravenclaw who Harry calls hateful for insulting Luna and Ron.

LOL. Somebody ships Harmonian. (Is it embarrassing that I know the ship terms?)

• Like 4

Now I need to add a lot of adverbs because no one can say anything in that story, they have to respond "femininely" and "timidly" and "worshipfully" and "deceptively" and "adverbly".

I've been on fanfiction.net since 1999 - I think I'm immune to all bad writing :D

At least they don't say it waspishly.

(I only ever seem to complain about those books! I do like them! It's just... they're flawed.)

• Like 2

actually - that is a *very* "southern" thing to say.  and the meaning can change greatly depending upon the inflection.

My sister and I used to watch a short lived sitcom GCB (Good Christian B!tches). The antagonist would always talk to the protagonist and say "Dear Amanda. Dear sweet Amanda" in the most condescending way. (My sister's name is Amanda, so we'd frequently say it around the house as a joke.) 

It was a perfect example of Southern elitism and inflection. 

Nope, the Christians around here, southern Indiana, all say it too.  My Grandmother does every time someone tells her something worrying about someone else(especially her grandkids).  She's the most religious person I know and least judgmental, but she's one of a kind  :Angel_anim: .

Well, yeah, Northerners can say it. But, I do think how it was used in this context was pure South. lol

I rarely use "bless her/your heart" to mean something good. It's typically a nice way to say someone's an idiot (for me, anyway).  

Bless her heart = that girl obviously doesn't have a brain in her head. 

• Like 7

We are in a north laying 'burb these days and run into a lot of people who are religious but not so many who are trying to get up in anyone's reading business. More like the occasional invites to church and the cultural contrast of moms with jeans and converse and moms who believe women should cover their hair and wear dresses only attending the same events. I am not bothered by that. Some are put off by D&D at the homeschool classes we go to but what can you do? No biggie. It would be different if I tried to join a church co-op or if we lived 30 minutes farther east or north. We are right near Lake Washington. It's pretty mellow religion wise.

sammamish valley has a mega-church that would push the HP (and D&D) is evil meme. they draw from all over the area.

I'm south of you, but north of Jean. also near LW.  where I am is generally pretty mellow too - there are just the odd odd-balls.  I'm always surprised when I run into them.

This is just my opinion and so don't slam me, please...  I see absolutely NO reason to rewrite Harry Potter.  That seems like a dumb idea..  Harry's ultimate sacrifice is SO like Christ.  I actually saw many Christian parallels in it the way it was even though I doubt the author meant them to be in there...  But I think it is stupid that she rewrote it.  But you guys will just tell me I'm judgemental...

There are many Christian paralells in HP and JKR meant for it to be so. Read any book by John Granger. Fascinating stuff.

JK Rowling is a practising member of the Church of Scotland.  She didn't talk about her Christianity until the books were finished, so that the direction of the story would remain less obvious.

• Like 2

JKR loads up on the adverbs too!

The incorrect use of semi-colons is making my eyes bleed.

• Like 2

My favorite adverbs were manfully, holily, and friendlily.  As my daughter said, "Friendly already is an adverb!"  At first I thought it was a typo, but then it appeared a second time.

Dumbledore is a cowboy.

• Like 2

Googling, some are sure it's satire, some are sure it's real.  No one is absolutely sure either way and the author hasn't said anything since it was finished.  One thing is sure, though.  There really is something hilarious with that existing in the same place as fanfics of Harry and Draco.

• Like 1

As my daughter said, "Friendly already is an adverb!"

No, it's not. It's an adjective. It modifies a noun, as in "the friendly child" or "the friendly dog".

I mean, it can be used as an adverb I guess, but I'm straining to come up with an example. Of course, now that I've posted, you'll all come up with obvious ones and I'll be forced to concede :)

Someone needs to make a YouTube series of people earnestly reading this aloud on a stage with spot lights. Bonus points if they have actual "Gryffindor hats". Each character should get their own reader but then another person should read all the adverbs and shit. That person should walk among the other readers who are all seated.

This would be hilarious.

• Like 5

Someone needs to make a YouTube series of people earnestly reading this aloud on a stage with spot lights. Bonus points if they have actual "Gryffindor hats". Each character should get their own reader but then another person should read all the adverbs and shit. That person should walk among the other readers who are all seated.

This would be hilarious.

Oh, I couldn't take it, not after laughing my way through a series of My Immortal youtube readings

• Like 1

Actually, I have to give real applause to this author. After reading the final chapter, it is pretty clear that it IS good satire in the sense that the grammatical mishaps are intentional and she uses some legit literary devices to reveal her true intentions at the end but the (hopefully few) people who might actually like this non-ironically will probably miss that.

"So my Reddit account solidifed your conception of atheists as a bunch of anti-Christian bigots who are just angry at God?" Voldemort solicited stupidly; and then he sighed. "Okay, you know what, this has gone too far. I'm sure that most people can tell that I'm not being serious, but if I'm contributing to misinformation and stereotypes, I don't feel comfortable continuing this."

Voldemort pulled an iPhone out of his pocket; and he began to type on it. After a few minutes, he showed the screen to Dumbledore. "See this? I just made a post: 'I am a troll.' It is the last post I will make on that account. Are you happy?

• Like 4

After much googling, I've determined that the use is obsolete. You can find it in works from 200 years ago and more in forms like "the natives treated us friendly". Sooooo, I'm right and Merriam-Webster is right.

The OED, for what it's worth, does list "friendlily", and some of those citations go back a while. Merriam-Webster doesn't, though. It does sound silly to me. I wonder what the spread is on the word. Maybe it's more common in some regions than others...?

Sorry, I'm laughing at the thought that anyone thinks an actual Christian wrote this.  LOL  I thought this was a continuation of the whole satire-fest that was going on here a few days ago.

Sadly, I actually know a couple uber-conservative Christian homeschoolers who would write something exactly like that.  Right down to the mini lectures scattered throughout and thinking Obama is going to outlaw Christianity.  When they talk those mini lectures come out.  They won't go to the homeschool skating time because they play Christian *rock* music as the kids skate.  Not regular rock music.  Christian rock.  And they hate Catholics.  I try to avoid them if I can. (ETA: Come to think of it, I haven't seen/heard from them in a while.  Might be because they were horrified to learn I'm Mormon which is *almost* as bad as being Catholic.)

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm laughing at the thought that anyone thinks an actual Christian wrote this.  LOL  I thought this was a continuation of the whole satire-fest that was going on here a few days ago.

I didn't think it was too far fetched considering my oldest dd was told at the age of 9 that she was going to hell for reading HP. Those people said some horrible things to my dds. This was at our church at the time and we left as soon as our dds told us what was being said.

• Like 1

The adverb usage is definitely mocking IEW writing. Anyone with me on this?

OH MY GOSH!  The adverb thing made Diamond an absolute madwoman! After an IEW class at a co-op, she refused to write for over a year.  OYAN was her salvation- I think "How to not use adverbs" was somewhere around Lesson 1, and she was instantly converted. :hurray:

• Like 3