Menu

wisdom teeth impacted local only?

Kendall

We have gotten 2 different opinions about my son's wisdom teeth.  One is general anesthesia the other is that he can choose local anesthesia only.  All 4 teeth are impacted.  He wanted to do the local only but we went somewhere else because our secondary insurance would cover the rest.  The second place gives no option and does general anesthetic.  

Have you had kids do the local only?  He has already experienced 2 teeth pulled with local and thinks he can handle this(I know this will be worse). 

I would just like to hear from someone who has done it this way.  I do have a call in to our dentist to get his opinion and I am going to call the surgeon who said local only was fine and see if I can learn more about why the two surgeons would say something so different.  

I did get the sense that the general anesthesia only guy just wanted to deal with teeth without the patient in the way.

I would strongly recommend general. My husband's weren't impacted and he did the local. It was fine but these were fully erupted and more like regular extractions. Even at that, he was thinking semi sleep or general would have been better. I did general and am glad (7 extractions including 4 fully impacted wisdom teeth and one tooth that was laying quite close to my sinus). I have a *very* high pain tolerance but honestly, the recovery from dental surgery was just about as painful as either of my c-section recoveries, one of which was preceded by more than a day of labor all the way to hours of pushing.

I had two impacted wisdom teeth taken out (I only had two) with local anesthesia and a prescription tranquilizer when I was 18. I'm not sure what the tranquilizer was, but I took it before we left home and my dad had to practically carry me to the car and into the oral surgeon's office because it knocked me out so much. I remember small snippets of the procedure, but it wasn't bad. I was barely 100 lbs at the time, so that might have affected my response to the drugs.

When I was in college I had my wisdom teeth taken out by an oral surgeon with a local only, no gas.  I had never had a tooth pulled at the dentist before,  and it went fine.   When my son had his wisdom teeth taken out a few years ago,  he had what I think they call conscious sedation with a drug put into the IV. 

This bothers me even to think about it, but my husband said that the first time he ever got novacaine at the dentist was when his wisdom teeth were removed.  His dentist never used novacaine for fillings! 

I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed using local anesthetic only.  Left side during one visit, and right side during another visit two weeks later.

I would NEVER choose this for my kids.  It was AWFUL.  The first visit I stopped counting at eleven shots of novocaine, including one EXTREMELY painful shot in the back of the upper palate.  And then sitting there while the dentist cracked the teeth into pieces so he could remove them...

AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL.

And having to go back two weeks later to do it all over again...

• Like 1

When I was in college I had my wisdom teeth taken out by an oral surgeon with a local only, no gas.  I had never had a tooth pulled at the dentist before,  and it went fine.   When my son had his wisdom teeth taken out a few years ago,  he had what I think they call conscious sedation with a drug put into the IV. 

This bothers me even to think about it, but my husband said that the first time he ever got novacaine at the dentist was when his wisdom teeth were removed.  His dentist never used novacaine for fillings! 

I have 3-4 fillings in back teeth, and opted each time to go without Novocaine.

Did you know that when they remove impacted wisdom teeth they use a special hammer/chisel thing to break the tooth into pieces, and then dig around in the gums for the pieces with pliers?  When I had local for extraction of two of my wisdom teeth it felt like he hit me over the head with a baseball bat. 

Dh had to have two impacted pulled under local and he broke the chair he was sitting in. He never said a word, cried, or asked them to stop (he was in the Marine Corps at the time) but he broke the arms right off the chair due to the pain. I had mine under general and I will choose the same for my dds if/when they need it.

I had 4 impacted teeth removed under general anesthesia. It was no big deal. My ex-husband (who is an Army Ranger!!!) was traumatized by the same procedure under a local. Get the general. 

• Like 1

Mine were impacted and taken out with a local. All I felt was a lot of pressure. The doctor took out one side and then a week or two later took out the other. The second side was even easier. My dc had all 4 of theirs out at once with sedation. It is not general anesthesia like in the hospital for surgery. It was a couple of week before they felt well and healed.

This bothers me even to think about it, but my husband said that the first time he ever got novacaine at the dentist was when his wisdom teeth were removed. His dentist never used novacaine for fillings!

My dentist filled 2 cavities without novacaine when I was 12. It was awful! My eyes were rolling in thr back of my head with the pain and it seemed to go on for ages. And I have a high pain tolerance and delivered 3 kids unmedicated so far. I'd take labor over unmedicated dental work any day. I had a cavity filled recently with local and it was so much better, barely a pinch at the start then no discomfort even! I had been terrified going in but now I wouldn't stress at all about a simple filling because the experience was totally different.

I vote to get general for the wisdom teeth, it's very involved as a procedure and the recovery is rough enough without having the procedure itself be any more difficult than necessary.

I had the twilight anesthesia for my impacted wisdom tooth and dental implant surgery. It was fantastic. I remember the whole thing, except after what felt like two minutes I thought they were just getting started and they were all done. And I didn't feel any pain at all. I found it much easier to come out of than a traditional general.

Oh lord no. Tell him he wants the general.

I big fat puffy heart my oral surgeon and his lovely happy IV. I actually had a wisdom tooth out last week; I have major dental anxiety, but believe it or not, I looked forward to having that wisdom tooth out. Only way I'm gonna get a nap around here...

• Like 1

I big fat puffy heart my oral surgeon and his lovely happy IV. I actually had a wisdom tooth out last week; I have major dental anxiety, but believe it or not, I looked forward to having that wisdom tooth out. Only way I'm gonna get a nap around here...

:lol: I once told a dental assistant that it was going to be so nice to just lie down and rest for a while.

IV sedation is wonderful, but oral sedation does NOTHING for me.  They gave me enough of those little pills to knock out a man twice my size, and I still just sat there nervously flipping through a magazine.  It's not even close to the same thing.  

Thank you so much, this has been really helpful.    Why do they want him to take Valium if he is going to be under for the removal?  He was willing to do local, I think he can handle an IV being put in without the Valium.  He does not want to take it.

I had local only for all 4 impacted teeth done at once, it was HORRIBLE  the sounds alone almost drove me to the brink.  My son had his out about 9 months ago and did the IV sedation and it was fabulous.  He was flipping hilarious afterwards, but it went smoothly.  Our oral surgeon won't do local only, it just makes it harder on all parties involved. 

I had the twilight anesthesia for my impacted wisdom tooth and dental implant surgery. It was fantastic. I remember the whole thing, except after what felt like two minutes I thought they were just getting started and they were all done. And I didn't feel any pain at all. I found it much easier to come out of than a traditional general.

Twilight is what many oral surgeons offer as "general" anesthesia. It's often just a lighter dose of the same thing(s). As compared to just attempting to numb the area with shots.

Twilight is what many oral surgeons offer as "general" anesthesia. It's often just a lighter dose of the same thing(s). As compared to just attempting to numb the area with shots.

I've had three rounds of oral surgery in my life. The first two were full unconscious general in the early nineties. It took a long time for me to shake off the fog of anesthesia afterwards. Twilight in the late '00s was much more pleasant for me, and I'd totally recommend it. If Twilight is the new normal, that's fantastic.

I have 3-4 fillings in back teeth, and opted each time to go without Novocaine.

Did you know that when they remove impacted wisdom teeth they use a special hammer/chisel thing to break the tooth into pieces, and then dig around in the gums for the pieces with pliers?  When I had local for extraction of two of my wisdom teeth it felt like he hit me over the head with a baseball bat. 

I must have had a minor impaction, because my whole tooth came out (I have it). This was just a few weeks ago. She must have hammered something loose though, because a few days later I started getting sharp pains in that area. I saw something white, swished, and got a splinter of tooth. I have no opinion of how I would do it for my children. I just don't know. My 4yo is going to need a crown on a front tooth, and judging how she reacted to filings, I know she's getting gas.

Guest robyanhuz

I prefer to not be too numb or debilitated and for that I take the moments of pain.

It really depends on the individual.5b.jpg

Thank you so much, this has been really helpful.    Why do they want him to take Valium if he is going to be under for the removal?  He was willing to do local, I think he can handle an IV being put in without the Valium.  He does not want to take it.

My guess is that they are used to people coming in with a certain level of anxiety about the procedure. I am not a medical person so I have no idea if the valium would affect him even after the surgery. If it does, then I guess it keeps him calm before and after. I had an anxiety pill because I fear dental work. Neither of my kids needed anything before going in, but they gave them laughing gas while they put in the iv to put them to sleep.

I wonder if the Valium is to be given for its muscle relaxing properties, to loosen the jaw muscles?

• Like 1

My ds had to have two baby teeth extracted for crowding issues.  The permanent teeth hadn't formed behind them, so these baby teeth still had their roots.  I thought "baby teeth, no big deal". I had a dentist do it with just a local.  I was allowed to sit in the room and watch.  OMG, it was SO traumatic!  Sure, ds had no pain in the procedure, but all the dentist had to use his whole body to pull and twist and tug at those teeth to get them free.  Ds could hear the sounds of the pliers and the teeth rubbing agains bone, and he had to feel his head being pressed into the chair with his mouth wedged open and the pliers yanking the teeth out.  

Ds was in shock for several hours afterward, and still almost cries if he thinks about it, though it was about four years ago!  I am so sorry I didn't ask more questions, and get a better understanding of what was involved.  I would never put anyone through a conscious tooth extraction, especially a child.  If you have the option, choose conscious sedation at least, so your ds won't remember the procedure.

DH had his impacted teeth removed the under local. He still talks about the horror of the crunching sounds and the effort it took a o remove his teeth. Pain and recovery wise, he was fine...but the psychological impact of experiencing the procedure was more than he wanted to take.

• Like 1