Menu

Just watched Beaches

Cottonwood

I remember when my mom made me watch Beaches.  My mom has the same heart disease (cardiomyopathy) as the character who dies.   :crying:  Thankfully, my mom is still around!

My cryfest movie is Lorenzo's Oil.  I love that movie.  How awesome to find a treatment for your kid's disease.

• Like 2

I just watched "All the Mornings of the World"  So sad... depressingly sad. 

Yep.  It's the music that gets me. When I first saw it, I think I started crying at the scene when M. St-Colombe is in his little studio and sees his wife while he's playing the song for her.  I don't think I stopped crying until about half an hour after the closing credits. Now, I can drop a tear just thinking about it.  I haven't watched it since last summer, though.  Might need to dig it out again.  I could use a good wracking sob.

• Like 1

Miss Potter, which is about Beatrix Potter, was a bit more ugly cry than I expected when I chose to watch it. The picture for the movie looked whimsical.

The TRAILER looked whimsical! It had rabbits and ducks!!

They lied! It is not whimsical! I don't even know how they made rabbits and ducks depressing but there were depressing bits with rabbits and ducks. You might think that sounds silly, it was not silly. I was crying at the rabbits and ducks!!! I think there were other animals such as squirrels or hedgehogs.

I cried for a good long while. It might be on netflix or something. It is ok for teens, there isn't any bad language or naughty bits it is just really depressing.

• Like 5

I loved that movie, but yes--crying. 

Here's a funny story about The Notebook:

My DH and DS were driving on a church ski trip, and the other kids assigned to their car were 3 girls. They were VERY talkative, lol, on the way there. At one point on the trip, my DH and DS visited a Barnes and Noble. Guess what my DS bought? The Notebook on DVD for the girls to watch on the way home. :laugh:  

They were so excited they all hugged him. :lol:  The ride home was much quieter.

• Like 2

Beaches (During Wind Beneath My Wings)

Stella (at the end when she's looking through the window)

Titanic (when she jumps back on the boat)

Steel Magnolias (when she loses it after the funeral)

Both Stella and Steel Magnolias became ugly cry movies after I had the girls.

I don't tend to enjoy sobfests... but there was one movie, Life is Beautiful, where I was laughing and crying at the same time.  I was so embarrassed after the lights went up in the theater because I was such a sobbing mess - and NO BODY else seemed to shed a tear.   I went in having no idea that the movie took place during WWII.  I just thought it was another sweet silly Benigni movie.  So I was completely taken off-guard..esp. by the ending. 

This is the scene... is what had me laughing and crying at the same time. If you've never watched it: The father wants to protect his son from the horrors of WWII... so when they are separated from wife/mom, and sent to a concentration camp, he tells his son they are playing a game (I think something like hide-n-seek)...  

The other movie that makes me cry is Secrets and Lies with Brenda Blethyn.

• Like 3

All of the above.  I was a blubbering mess during "Life is Beautiful", you are not alone.  What about "Sophie's Choice"? OMG. :( 

There's an old film from the late 30s, with Robert Donat, called "Goodbye Mr. Chips."  I always cry in that.  For the longest time, I wanted to get an English Bulldog and name him "Chips."  

"Love Story' with Ryan O'Neill and Ali McGraw.

And of course, when Bambi's Mom died and in "The Lion King" when the dad is killed.

• Like 4

All of the above.  I was a blubbering mess during "Life is Beautiful", you are not alone.  What about "Sophie's Choice"? OMG. :(

There's an old film from the late 30s, with Robert Donat, called "Goodbye Mr. Chips."  I always cry in that.  For the longest time, I wanted to get an English Bulldog and name him "Chips."  

And of course, when Bambi's Mom died and in "The Lion King" when the dad is killed.

I saw that before I had kids.  I cannot watch it now... just thinking about that one scene makes me cry.

• Like 3

Ah, you reminded me about the opening story in Up.  I always tear up.

• Like 2

Armageddon

I thought I was the only one that sobbed during that movie, lol. We saw it in the theater, in a big group, and everyone was embarrassed because even after the credits played I was still sobbing like my best friend had died. I was a MESS. And then the next time I thought it I thought I'd be better, but I just started crying earlier in the movie. The father daughter thing just breaks me. 

Steel Magnolias is the other one. And Beaches, but I only watched it once. 

I try to stay clear of sad movies. I like comedies or science fiction/ action instead. I probably cry maybe 2 times a year, if that. I'm really a sensitive person though lol.

I also avoid sad movies.

It seems each time I watch or read something ONLY BECAUSE it looks whimsical I somehow end up traumatized. I AM LOOKING AT YOU LIFE OF PI!!!

• Like 2

I don't cry often in movies, but Steel Magnolias, Hotel Rwanda, Deep Impact when the mom gives the baby to her older daughter so she can save it, Titanic, and oddly enough Dan in Real Life all did it to me. I blame the last on pregnancy hormones. I was sad because their mother was dead which isn't even an event in the movie, just a fact. As I was crying on the way home I told my husband (who was laughing at me) that I could never watch The Office again because I would get too sad. I got over it. ☺

Do you guys remember that movie?  Barbara Hershey, Bette Midler?  Oh how I loved that movie.  So sweet, so many tears.  The Notebook does the same to me, too. 

What is your PMS, need-to-cry movies?

Her Sister's Keeper does it for me.

I had to watch that one alone after everyone was in bed. 

I knew there was something else I was not remembering.

Sophie's Choice is the worst ever, for tears.  I can hardly think about it today, and I must have seen it decades ago.