Menu

Oregon Peeps- Help a girl out

DragonFaerie

I've posted before (a couple times!) trying to figure out where we should move.  I'm really thinking I'd like to go to Oregon.  I LOVE rainy weather, and I think OR has all four seasons and even gets some snow (which I would also love).  As I've said before, we need a youth symphony or orchestra for DD, so I can't do any really tiny towns.  Also, DD wants to go back to PS when we move, so I need a really good high school, preferably with a strong music department and dual enrollment options.  Also, as a single mom, I need a good, safe place to live and raise kids.  So, all that said, I've come up with four places in Oregon that are contenders: Portland, Corvallis, Eugene, and Salem.  I'd love to hear about any/all of those cities, the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Any good neighborhoods I should consider?  What areas should we stay away from?  Any other comparable cities I should consider?  Anything at all would be greatly appreciated.  TIA!

• Like 1

I probably won't be of much help, but I lived in Eugene and really liked it there. I was a college student, though, so I know nothing about the high schools. Obviously, I found affordable places to live, usually in the vicinity of campus, and I always felt safe. It has wonderful bike trails! I could ride so many places on my bike.

I actually like Corvallis better, because it is smaller. There may be unsafe parts of town, but I don't know as I haven't lived there. I've spent time there and done some running by myself, some of it in early morning hours, and I always felt safe. I was told by an extended family member, who is an accountant in that area, that Corvallis housing is a bit higher because it has more professional people living there. Again, I know nothing about the schools and my family member never had children, or I would ask.

Portland is more expensive as far as cost of living, but I think that's true of most cities. It's a super fun city though.

I've only driven through Salem while on I-5.

Corvallis is a bit more conservative than Eugene and Portland, if that matters to you.

Salem has incredibly strong public school music programs. The best high schools academically are probably South (IB program), West, and Sprague. By dual enrollment, do you mean homeschool and public high school? If so, I haven't heard of any issues with that in Salem. If you mean college and public high school, Willamette has an incredibly cheap option for gifted high school students to take two courses per semester. It is walking distance from South High and has strong music programs. I'm not sure about CC and high school, and the CC here is closest to one of the weaker high schools. Salem is more conservative than the other cities on your list, but housing prices are more affordable. And being Oregon, it's still got plenty of liberals Ă°Å¸ËœÅ .

Salem certainly doesn't have the wide variety of co-ops, classes, etc for homeschoolers as a place like Portland, but getting to some places in the Portland metro area from Salem often doesn't take any longer than getting from one part of the Portland metro area to another.

As for neighborhoods, I think it depends on whether you want to do more walking or driving. The area around South High is very walkable to just about everything, whereas West High and Sprague are located in more suburban areas. The neighborhood around North High is also more walkable, although the high school is not as strong.

We lived in Corvallis about 15 years ago. We LOVED it! Of course it's possible it's changed since then, but at the time it was a sweet, liberal college town, affordable and very quirky (says a northern California native! Ha ha). We biked everywhere, and it was easy to bike out of town into the countryside. They had (hopefully still have) a great natural foods coop and a farm market in a downtown park.

We preferred it to Eugene; it's somewhat smaller and while still liberal, it was much more subdued about it. Again, might have changed.

We loved the proximity to the coast and the coastal mountains. To be honest we never spent much time in the Cascades (I'm an ocean girl, don't care much for mountains) but they are close enough to easily enjoy the snow and hiking. Portland wasn't far, maybe an hour and a half? We didn't go there often, but it's a fun city.

We really liked Oregon and sometimes wonder why we left. I think it was just a case of it not being quite the right timing for us, a couple years later or different circumstances and it would have made a good place for us to settle down. It's definitely family friendly and very safe, though I don't know anything about the schools or activities since we were there before kids.

So far it sounds like I couldn't really go wrong with anywhere. LOL..  I like that Corvallis is a bit smaller and closer to the coast.  But I think Salem sounds wonderful, too, especially for the good schools.  And yes, by dual enrollment, I meant high school students taking CC or college courses.

I've posted before (a couple times!) trying to figure out where we should move.  I'm really thinking I'd like to go to Oregon.  I LOVE rainy weather, and I think OR has all four seasons and even gets some snow (which I would also love).  As I've said before, we need a youth symphony or orchestra for DD, so I can't do any really tiny towns.  Also, DD wants to go back to PS when we move, so I need a really good high school, preferably with a strong music department and dual enrollment options.  Also, as a single mom, I need a good, safe place to live and raise kids.  So, all that said, I've come up with four places in Oregon that are contenders: Portland, Corvallis, Eugene, and Salem.  I'd love to hear about any/all of those cities, the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Any good neighborhoods I should consider?  What areas should we stay away from?  Any other comparable cities I should consider?  Anything at all would be greatly appreciated.  TIA!

All of them would probably be nice possibilities.

Portland has "bad" areas and "good areas." But also has the most "culture."  And is more likely to get snow. I don't know specific schools to mention, but am sure there are ones that would have good music programs and quite sure you'd find dual enrollment.

If you choose Eugene, try to live, 1st choice, near South Eugene High, or second choice, Churchill High.  The Shedd Institute of music also has a lot for kid musicians.  There are definitely dual enrollment possibilities, and also International Baccalaureate programs and "International School" programs. Churchill has had a special Rachel Carson environmental program   I think Churchill High is stronger on dramatic performing arts, and South Eugene stronger for music.

Ashland would be another Oregon city to consider though it is not so rainy.

I'm in Eugene. Eugene is a university town. Good public school music programs, great youth orchestra opportunities (and children's choir--I know families participating in both), dual enrollment is common. It's pretty safe here. I would feel comfortable walking alone at night in most parts of town.

The "pot culture" isn't something I've ever been exposed to, at least not any more than anywhere else in Oregon. :) (Excepting the Country Fair, a week-long summer festival which is technically in Veneta, outside of Eugene. Even there it's not in your face and most people don't partake.) Marijuana use is now legal in Oregon. I think you'd find the same in Portland, for certain, and probably most other larger towns. By which I mean....it's not something that my family is exposed to on a regular basis, and we're out and about town often.

All four cities are great places to live. You should come do an Oregon tour, just to get a feel for the vibe of each city. (And pm me when you come to Eugene. Maybe we could get together for lunch. :) )

Cat

• Like 1

I'm in Eugene. Eugene is a university town. Good public school music programs, great youth orchestra opportunities (and children's choir--I know families participating in both), dual enrollment is common. It's pretty safe here. I would feel comfortable walking alone at night in most parts of town.

The "pot culture" isn't something I've ever been exposed to, at least not any more than anywhere else in Oregon. :)....

...it's not something that my family is exposed to on a regular basis, and we're out and about town often.

All four cities are great places to live. You should come do an Oregon tour, just to get a feel for the vibe of each city. (And pm me when you come to Eugene. Maybe we could get together for lunch. :) )

Cat

I agree. University of Oregon is in Eugene which gives some other resources also.

• Like 1

Cost of living in Portland isn't as affordable as it used to be, but then your perspective would depend on where you are coming from. Do your research well, especially about the financial aspect. Median home prices are currently about $309,000 with an expected increase of 4% over the next year. I live in an area that is about 15-20 minutes from the core, that is predominantly middle class and that has excellent schools. Homes prices range on average from $350,000 - $550,000. Friends that bought a four bedroom home with 2800 sq feet in an upscale area, paid just under $300,000 for it 20 years ago; it's now valued at close $900,000. We've experienced the same tripling in home value in the same period.

All of the cities you listed have terrific qualities and we love the lifestyle in Oregon.

I love living in Portland. There's a ton of culture, easy for teens to get around with public transport or walking, several youth symphonies and choirs. The only thing I don't know whether to endorse is the public high school situation. My teen is in private school (that does offer a lot of financial aid, if applicable).

I know kids from my son's school have done dual enrollment with Reed and Portland State. I think there may also be some public high school combined with community college options. I'm really impressed with Portland State as an urban university.

I do love Ashland (which has Southern Oregon U). That's where we'll go if we ever leave Portland. Happy to talk off-list.

• Like 1

Portland or Corvallis.

If Portland, you really have to spend a little time to get to know the areas/ neighborhoods. If you can get yourself a house in the Beaverton school district, you get 2 years of CC for free as dual enrollment that you can start in either 11th or 12th. Or, if you live in Oregon City you get money to use for homeschooling classes, which can include dual enrollment. In pdx proper there is at least one high school district that will get you free CC, but unfortunately not all. There are some good and many bad public high schools but there are lots of other options.. Charter schools etc.

Corvallis is a very fun, pretty town, but much, much smaller. I have no idea what the public schools are like. I loved OSU. And I Never felt unsafe, spent many hours running, hiking, and biking by myself at odd hours.

Thanks so much, you guys!  I love the Hive!  Y'all have given me some great information.  I think I'm going to rule out Portland just because it's so.... city.  We're coming from a town of 6,000 people, so really anything is going to be big to us.  LOL...  I'm leaning towards Corvallis or Salem, I think.  It will definitely take more research.  And, of course, I have a house to sell before I can do anything.  Speaking of which, thanks for the info about housing costs.  I plan to rent an apartment.  Home ownership is NOT for me. :-)

• Like 1

We had friends who moved to Medford (southwest part of OR, just half an hour north of CA) and loved it. They were not homeschoolers, so I don't know about the homeschooling support or educational opportunities there. Medford is warmer and sunnier than Portland, but it does get some snow each year. :)

• Like 1

A few other places to consider are Cottage Grove, Astoria, Reedsport, Newport and Bend.

You could make a circular trip with the cities/towns along the I5 corridor and then the ones along the coast.  That would get the whole group except for Bend.

• Like 1

Salem is big. It is very city. Not as city as Portland, but definitely city. There are also very dramatic pockets of haves and have-nots that make for some very dynamic crime/race/hostility issues. If you are not going to have income issues, that is not a very big deal. When I was of more marginal income, it definitely was.

We lived and homeschooled in Portland for our early years. I grew up there. My son currently has Reed as one of his top choice colleges so we have toured, interviewed, and know a lot about the dual enrollment options. Let me know if Portland reappears on your list. The other option would be across the river in SW Washington. Stronger schools than Portland, stronger social service programs, HUGE homeschooling communities, and the same weather. You have access to all the Portland stuff, without the Portland city. All North Oregon colleges offer reciprocity with SW Washington and vice versa. Washington 100 percent covers all dual enrollment at CC and Universities through Running Start for juniors and seniors (not age restricted, but grade restricted).

• Like 3

A few other places to consider are Cottage Grove, Astoria, Reedsport, Newport and Bend.

You could make a circular trip with the cities/towns along the I5 corridor and then the ones along the coast.  That would get the whole group except for Bend.

Do you know if any of those places have a youth symphony?  That's very, very important to DD.

The Oregon economy has some bright spots. It also has some really low spots. It does seem to have gotten better. I personally would not move to Oregon without a very solid job offer in hand. Relative to wages, the COL is higher than one would expect.

I work from home, so I'm hoping that the local job market won't matter.  That said, if I do need more traditional work, it would be as a part time adjunct at the local CC or something.  I'm really hoping to keep all my work online and from home, though.

Salem is big. It is very city. Not as city as Portland, but definitely city. There are also very dramatic pockets of haves and have-nots that make for some very dynamic crime/race/hostility issues. If you are not going to have income issues, that is not a very big deal. When I was of more marginal income, it definitely was.

We lived and homeschooled in Portland for our early years. I grew up there. My son currently has Reed as one of his top choice colleges so we have toured, interviewed, and know a lot about the dual enrollment options. Let me know if Portland reappears on your list. The other option would be across the river in SW Washington. Stronger schools than Portland, stronger social service programs, HUGE homeschooling communities, and the same weather. You have access to all the Portland stuff, without the Portland city. All North Oregon colleges offer reciprocity with SW Washington and vice versa. Washington 100 percent covers all dual enrollment at CC and Universities through Running Start for juniors and seniors (not age restricted, but grade restricted).

I am definitely or a more marginal income, so it sounds like Salem might not be my best option.  As far as WA, do you mean Vancouver, WA?  The dual enrollment sounds great, especially not being age restricted as DD is young for her grade. Can you recommend any specific areas/high schools to look into?

Some small college towns in the Willamette Valley you might want to consider include McMinnville, Newberg, and Monmouth/Independence. All three would have dual enrollment options. You would have to research the quality of high schools and may have to travel for a youth orchestra or use the college orchestra.

• Like 2

For what its worth we live in a smallish town/city in Oregon(less than 25,000) and we have a youth orchestra. It is quite popular with the local homeschoolers but many PS kids are in it as well. You might not have to choose a large city to get what you want. ;) Of course you will have to figure out where employment can be found but smaller cities cost less.

• Like 3

The Oregon economy has some bright spots. It also has some really low spots. It does seem to have gotten better. I personally would not move to Oregon without a very solid job offer in hand. Relative to wages, the COL is higher than one would expect.

Thanks for saying this so much more succinctly than I could. I didn't want to be a Debbie Downer, because I love my state and I love Portland, but you really have to have a good plan and some resources.

My youngest has been using public transportation to get all around town for the last couple of years and we've felt pretty comfortable about that. You get some big city perks culturally without the big city hassle. The mountains and the ocean are easily accessible and we have an amazing city park that has miles and miles of hiking and running trails. If you are diligent you can locate a more affordable home in one of the areas that is just starting the gentrification process if you want to be close in. The Beaverton School District as mentioned is excellent; Portland Public Schools are working on it.

• Like 1

Most of the suburbs of Portland do not have a "big city" feel, but do have access to the big city amenities. There are LOTS of parks and green spaces. Mass transit tends to be very good, and there are lots of bike lanes. On the west side, Beaverton is a very safe city with excellent schools, including an IB charter and an arts magnet.

Portland (and the surrounding area) has 2 excellent youth orchestra programs, Portland Youth Philharmonic and Metropolitan Youth Symphony.  Village Home Education Resource Center offers an extensive range of classes in both NE Portland and on the west side (Beaverton), with most classes taught by experts in their fields (e.g. the middle school chemistry classes are taught by a PhD, the Latin classes are taught by someone with an MA in Classics, etc.) It's less like a co-op and more like a school where you can pick and choose any classes you want. There are lots of clubs and teams, like Model UN, Mock Trial, and robotics.

There's also a wide variety of virtual and B&M charters, some of which (e.g. Estacada, Baker) will pay for up to 3 years of CC beginning in 10th grade; classes count towards both the HS diploma and an AA. The CCs tend to be very good, and there is also Portland State University.

• Like 5

Some small college towns in the Willamette Valley you might want to consider include McMinnville, Newberg, and Monmouth/Independence. All three would have dual enrollment options. You would have to research the quality of high schools and may have to travel for a youth orchestra or use the college orchestra.

We lived in Newberg. If you are Christian you would love it. Veritas Academy lets homeschool kids participate. The people are incredible.

If you decide on Salem, look at Silverton. It's a very sweet community with nice driving to Salem.

• Like 1

Bend/ Central Oregon: City College w/great dual enrollment program and university extension offices, http://www.centraloregonyouthorchestra.org/ playing in Carnegie Hall this June, we don't get much rain and it's mostly sunny, 4 seasons, outdoor mecca...lakes, rivers, paddle boarding, canoeing, boating, fishing, hunting, mountain climbing, trails, parks, biking, ski mountain, snow parks...rent is expensive though. Water is amazing if you live in the avion water district. We flush our toilets with the best tasting, purest water and there's plenty of it.

Perfect timing for this post for me. Ds's short college list includes OSU, UO, PSU, Willamette and Evergreen. We live in the southeast, so our tours have been whirlwind. Dh and I have had enough of hot, humid summers so we are looking at a move, too. It's great to read about the cities rather than just the colleges. Portland has been my favorite, particularly the public transport, but the lack of jobs scares me.

• Like 1

I'd skip Salem, but add Ashland and Bend. Ashland in particular is a nice, safe community with good public schools and lots of arts and theater. I think of Eugene and Corvallis as college towns and like them both - maybe Eugene a little more. Portland is wonderful too, but much more big city.

• Like 1

Don't rule out Portland. :D

There are plenty of places that are in the area that are slower and less city like. I've been to a lot of big cities (Boston, NY, DC, LA, San Francisco, Seattle, etc.) and Portland just does not have the same feel.

Someplace like this for instance is close to everything you could possibly need but borders up against a much more rural area. This apartment complex is just down the street from the Rock Creek campus of Portland Community College where your dd could do some dual enrollment. It is also close to Westview High School which is ranked in the top 10 high schools in Oregon. 

In the Portland area, you would be close to the Japanese Garden, the Rose Garden, the Portland Zoo, Hoyt Arboretum, Mt. Hood (here are some photos), Forest Park, etc.

You can retreat to a quiet home in Portland away from any city like feel but have everything the city has to offer within a very short distance. :)

• Like 2

We lived in Newberg. If you are Christian you would love it. Veritas Academy lets homeschool kids participate. The people are incredible.

If you decide on Salem, look at Silverton. It's a very sweet community with nice driving to Salem.

I think she said she was "pagan"--how would these suggestions be if so?

If you know what you are doing and traffic is good you could get from Eugene to Portland in a couple of hours, with Salem on the way. Corvallis is a bit, but not terribly far, off to the west between Eugene and Salem--that is, Corvallis is not right on the I5 corridor.  You either need to take a different route out of Eugene, or go west from i% to get to it.   

At least, as I recall.

I also recall trips where there were accidents or bad road conditions and it took about forever.

Due to a combo of life circumstances and other reasons I have not made the trip to any of these in ages.

One thing about the area is that distance is perceived differently here ...   when I lived in the Los Angeles or NYC area what was "close" is now a distance that is considered very far.  

I do know people who commute between Ptlnd and Eugene, rarely (and usually by train), but more often it is a place where many people judge "close" more in terms of what a bike can do than what a car can do, or so it seems.  Even if not a bike rider. 

• Like 1

If you know what you are doing and traffic is good you could get from Eugene to Portland in a couple of hours, with Salem on the way. Corvallis is a bit, but not terribly far, off to the west between Eugene and Salem--that is, Corvallis is not right on the I5 corridor.  You either need to take a different route out of Eugene, or go west from i% to get to it.   

At least, as I recall.

I also recall trips where there were accidents or bad road conditions and it took about forever.

Thanks.  From looking at Google, it would appear they are all just a hop, skip, and a jump from each other. LOL...

• Like 1

IIRC Corvallis is about 30-45 minutes from Eugene, 45 minutes to the coast (up and over the lovely and lush Coastal mountains), and 1.5 hours to Portland.

If you aren't familiar with the Pacific, it's a wild ocean, not good for swimming (though of course there might be protected places I don't know about). But the Oregon beaches are fantastic, sandy and huge and usually very foggy. If it's hot in the Valley, the coast is a perfect place to hide out (bring a sweater always).

A whirlwind tour of the state is very do-able; we did that, in fact, before moving there. You could fly into Portland, spend a day or two exploring the city, then head down the 5 to Salem, Corvallis and Eugene. Drive back up along the coast to make it a circle tour, or through the mountains if that's more your thing.

It's a diverse state. Geographically heading west to east there's the ocean, the mossy Coastal range, the lush Valley, the Cascades, and desert. Politically it's classic western state: divided between very liberal and very conservative, with all the issues that come along with that divide (land use comes to mind as a hot topic when we lived there--think logging, ranching and fences vs open space). We felt very at home in Corvallis, Eugene and Portland, but more cautious outside those zones (having been warned by a campground owner that he'd run off any long haired hippies with his multiple guns--we were, at the time, very obviously his target group so it made for an uncomfortable night). Of course it's been a long time since we lived there and it's possible things have mellowed some, but growing up in California and having lived in Colorado for a time, it was the same story. I don't think the state is unique that way, I've just noticed the divide more in the west than in the east, in general.

Sounds like you have some exciting decisions to make! I hope it's a positive experience for you, whatever you decide. :)

• Like 1

Do you know if any of those places have a youth symphony?  That's very, very important to DD.

I work from home, so I'm hoping that the local job market won't matter.  That said, if I do need more traditional work, it would be as a part time adjunct at the local CC or something.  I'm really hoping to keep all my work online and from home, though.

I am definitely or a more marginal income, so it sounds like Salem might not be my best option.  As far as WA, do you mean Vancouver, WA?  The dual enrollment sounds great, especially not being age restricted as DD is young for her grade. Can you recommend any specific areas/high schools to look into?

Eugene has the Eugene Youth Symphony and the John G. Shedd Institute.  Both pretty big and established.  There might be other things too, like I don't know if PICC (not sure what it stands for, something like Pacific International Children's Choir) might have children play with them sometimes, for example. I think anyone in towns surrounding Eugene such as Cottage Grove and maybe Corvallis too, would go to Eugene if they needed an orchestra of the level of Eugene Youth Symphony.  

I do not know, but would guess that Ashland also has something--it has a major Shakespeare theater and thus arts are important there.

The cities and larger towns of the Willamette Valley have had more people move in from wealthier places making it less affordable than it once was, but there is still a large amount of old hippie and other less affluent lifestyle/people here.  It is easier to make it on less money here  than in some other places (though possibly not as compared to where you are now) because fancy clothing, dining out, etc. etc. need not be a part of the lifestyle.  

• Like 2