Menu

Someone needs to start a popular (or controversial) thread today.

creekland

One hour left and roughly 1/4 of my last class just left for a track meet, so it seems pretty empty.

The others are still working on their test, but should easily finish on time.

Wait! Icing and frosting are two different things? Are you serious?! We've always called it icing! Icing is the right answer! At least I thought.... is this a regional thing? Soooooo, maybe I need to compare two different cupcakes to test this theory out. Hmmmm.

As I mentioned, hubby still often gets this question wrong, so apparently it can be a difficult concept to some.  ;)

* I wonder if this thread is entertaining creekland yet...

It sure beats the alternative of watching the clock.  I am, after all, down to a little over half an hour left now.  Had I been watching the clock there'd have been at least 3 - 4 hours left in my day since we all know that time slows down while being watched.

All students are finished with their test now, but they still have this little matter of a project they're working on - an online project - with no assistance required.

At least with the test I got to explain the difference between "savings" and "retirement fund" to a few.

• Like 1

It sure beats the alternative of watching the clock.  I am, after all, down to a little over half an hour left now.  Had I been watching the clock there'd have been at least 3 - 4 hours left in my day since we all know that time slows down while being watched.

All students are finished with their test now, but they still have this little matter of a project they're working on - an online project - with no assistance required.

At least with the test I got to explain the difference between "savings" and "retirement fund" to a few.

OooooOOOOoooh.... I got one:  most people rely on their social security and THAT's why no one in this country saves for retirement.  They're hoping the government is going to support them in their old age.  And savings????  That's only for vacations!*

*snicker, again*

OooooOOOOoooh.... I got one:  most people rely on their social security and THAT's why no one in this country saves for retirement.  They're hoping the government is going to support them in their old age.  And savings????  That's only for vacations!*

*snicker, again*

There were a couple that gave me blank stares when I just used the word "savings."  I had to explain it some for it to catch on in their minds - perhaps dusting off a neuron or two.

And Channel One had a segment earlier about credit reports showing many students have no clue about those.  One young lady even answered "Yes" to the question, "Is it good to max out your credit card?"

She later admitted she can't even have money or she instantly spends it.  

Some things can be scary...

I make my own bread.  I'd rather throw away my OWN moldy bread than throw away store bought moldy bread.  My own bread lasts 2x as long as store bought, AND the kids eat the crusts on my bread! :)

What is it with crust? My 3 year old has just recently starting not eating the crust off her toast. 

Also, my mom used to tell me that crust would give me curly hair. She lied. 

• Like 1

LOL - I was going to start another but instead, here ya go-

Question - How far up do you shave your legs?   Up to the knee?   Above the knee?   Interested in knowing what others do!   :lol:

We have to shave?? :( 

I shave above the knee, but since I don't do shorts/short skirts, I'm not really precise. I focus more below the knee and haphazardly get above. 

• Like 1

Hmm, no privacy on a message board, huh?

How much I shave depends upon the day (what I'm wearing, doing, etc) and the season.  There are actually days/times where I don't shave.   ;)  My grandmother would be so mad at me if I were even in an accident on such a day, but I do promise I've changed my underwear - as long as you catch me AFTER barn chores are done.  (I shower after those too.)

Shave everyday - NO, not me!  

• Like 1

Poking food?  Why?  I look for color and freshness but see no reason to poke anything.  

ROTFL - when I was growing up I'd have the most fun hiding my veggies in the mound of mashed potatoes.   No LC then.   Ah, those were the days.   The veggies had to be fully pushed in and surrounded by potato.  You can imagine, it was quite the time to "play" with food......................!!!!!!!!!!!   :lol:

For shame!

So what's the tie-in for poked meat? Frosting vs icing? White vs wheat? Shaving up to the knees or above?

I think there is one for demonic parasites but I can't think of it right now. :laugh:

Shaving legs -- my first thought is Insurrection, the scene where Deanna and Beverly are talking about how their boobs aren't as saggy, and then Data tries to join in. 

Frosting vs. icing -- Lore singing tomato-tomahto to Data (but I forget which episode it is)

I'll have to get back to you on poking meat and white vs. wheat since I seem to be stuck on scenes that involve Data at the moment, and those sound more like Neelix or Quark.

Demonic parasites -- there were those parasites that took over a bunch of the head honchos at Starfleet, but I never paid much attention to that story arc.

• Like 1

Ah, we've reached the end.  I need to wrap up now and get computers shut down, etc, then head home ever so briefly before heading out to an orthopedic appt about the carpal tunnel surgery and stuff that has been part of my life.

After that, who knows?  Y'all will probably have taken the thread along a bit.  I'll try to find a time to catch up.  Occasionally I do have to WORK for a living though.  ;)

Uh, where's the study on THAT?  Got a link to justify that statement?  I'm not sure I agree...  I frost my cake with icing.  Is that what you mean?

*snicker *

Don't press me. I feel certain I can find that data. :P

And - behold!

Of course, the thing I think we can all agree on is that fondant looks pretty, tastes blech.

• Like 2

Bread/grain= evil. Inflammation. (that should be good for a page or two of controversy)

Would I stay? I honestly can't say for sure.

Keurig - meh. Waste of money and environmental leech, IMO. I'm not a fan of coffee.

Cilantro is good.

I try to avoid shaving as much as possible. When I do shave, it depends on mood, outfit, etc.

I love Trader Joe's precisely because it's small. Perfect to help combat the Paradox of Choice issue.

Don't poke the fruit! It's fragile. Meat is tough, it can handle it.

Restaurants in Canada manage to pay full wages (minimum wage and up) and stay open and profitable. Wait staff still makes tips.

Nice summary!

Bread - I mostly live without it now. My complaint with bread I do buy for the family is the phenomenon of shrinking loaves. Manufacturers are making the loaves so tiny. They barely last a day with a teenaged boy at home.

Would I stay? Only if he learns to give me a good pedicure and shares his fancy boots.

Keurig - we know how I feel about that.

Love cilantro.

Shaving is lousy.

Never been to TJs.

Poking food is mean. Especially chocolates.

I think wait staff should at least earn minimum wage.

• Like 2

Sweetheart, remember who you are talking to.  I'm going to go talk to someone about cutting things out of my throat today.  

I didn't forget!  I was thinking you might be able to get a two for one discount or something...

June 29th ends up being the day I get to devote my trust to another human being cutting into my dominant hand... then a few months afterward letting the body fix it back up completely.  That will at least allow me time to get our new foals on the ground, the garden decently going, and spend quality time with middle son before he leaves us to head to CA for the rest of the summer.  Youngest will be stuck here helping hubby fill in for my chores.  By the time he returns for college I should be able to do a bit of what I normally do.

That's the plan anyway.

I hope your throat discussion goes well.  It only took 5 - 7 minutes tops for actual "doctor-time" today.  I suspect yours will take longer.

I didn't forget!  I was thinking you might be able to get a two for one discount or something...

June 29th ends up being the day I get to devote my trust to another human being cutting into my dominant hand... then a few months afterward letting the body fix it back up completely.  That will at least allow me time to get our new foals on the ground, the garden decently going, and spend quality time with middle son before he leaves us to head to CA for the rest of the summer.  Youngest will be stuck here helping hubby fill in for my chores.  By the time he returns for college I should be able to do a bit of what I normally do.

That's the plan anyway.

I hope your throat discussion goes well.  It only took 5 - 7 minutes tops for actual "doctor-time" today.  I suspect yours will take longer.

He's getting me in after hours so I have as long as I want!  But that's just because I know what kind of a man and doctor he is.  

I'm glad that you have a plan that includes doing some of the things important to you and  your family.  I hope it heals as well as your non-dominant hand has.  

There were a couple that gave me blank stares when I just used the word "savings."  I had to explain it some for it to catch on in their minds - perhaps dusting off a neuron or two.

And Channel One had a segment earlier about credit reports showing many students have no clue about those.  One young lady even answered "Yes" to the question, "Is it good to max out your credit card?"

She later admitted she can't even have money or she instantly spends it.  

Some things can be scary...

There are a lot of years for them to grow though... it's not hopeless yet.

• Like 1

Don't press me. I feel certain I can find that data. :p

And - behold!

Of course, the thing I think we can all agree on is that fondant looks pretty, tastes blech.

I beheld and I was impressed that the site used pictures to back up their definitions!

Never tasted fondant myself so I cannot, in good conscience, agree with "blech".  But YES, it's very pretty.

No!  It's all over for them at 16!   (But only because this is supposed to be a controversial thread)

OMG!!  (hands start flapping around my head).... my dd can't drive, she hasn't done algebra 2 yet, and I'm not sure she quite understands how 401k vs IRAs work AND she'll be 16 in 3 weeks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :eek:  :willy_nilly:  :svengo:

Really, though, Jean, I think that's just a public school thing - that their lives are over at 16 - homeschooler don't peak until much later... it's all that rich home environment vs the sterile-ness of the public school classroom.

(and now I've batted the controversy back to you)

• Like 2

Phew!  I'm glad that homeschoolers don't peak until much later since my ds17.5 still has so far to go!  Thought he does know what savings is.  He is classically trained, you know.  Just to prove that, he was buying his first computer with money he saved from his home business at age 10 (true story, not made up for a controversial thread) and he said to the salesman "Nunc aut numquam!"  (now or never!)  

• Like 3

You forgot the part where you said, "Don't quote me since I plan to delete this later."

Great topic, though, since it can veer into spouse bashing, religious content, or any number of directions.  Maybe even crockpots, shopping carts, or sidewalk-hogging strollers.

Exactly. Lots of options (haven't read beyond yet to see if anyone actually did veer into anything though).

I don't believe in "Don't quote me since I plan to delete this later.". Although I don't know the impact of adding that phrase to a post. Would it lead to more or fewer replies?

I think I prefer my boredom to your cold and dentist appt, so no switching places.

ps  Hope you feel better soon.

pps  Our dentist won't work on people with a cold.  He reschedules.  Is yours different?

I told them, but he was OK w/ it. I was outta there w/in 30 minutes and was getting my permanent crown. I think he wanted me to have that.  I am always up front when I'm sick and give folks the option of NOT being w/ me. 

I see a lot of work was done on this thread. I want to lie down and sleep or read this thread, but I need to feed ds first. He's so picky that way. 

• Like 3

Creekland,

When are we playing this again!  :)    I have another question.....

:lol:  Hmm, no pressure, right?

Considering that I actually do work for a living most of the time I'm at school doing that teaching thingy, I guess the next day I can promise is likely June 29th or 30th (aka right after they mutilate my dominate hand and I'm not doing anything aside from sitting and left hand typing!).

Can you keep the question on a post it note until then (or sooner if fate puts me in a similar situation at school or elsewhere before then)?

• Like 1

Don't have a Keurig, so I've never tried the coffee. Seems expensive because I prefer unlimited amounts of caffeine.

At a get-together last spring, the hostess had a Keurig and I was sad because I knew there would be no coffee to sip on for the guests (there were a dozen of us attending, coffee wasn't offered and I assume it would have been expensive to have offered it). It was a cold morning and a warm cup of coffee would have been wonderful to hold in my hands.

It seems like if there's a full pot of coffee waiting, it's more welcoming than a K-cup where each cup of coffee is precisely measured out. The whole "well, if it's already made, sure I'll take another cup of coffee" doesn't work with K-cups. No top-offs if your coffee gets cold, or if you add too much cream and it's too sweet.

I am old fashioned though.

I agree! Even though we use our hot water machine (aka Keurig) several times a day, when I am expecting company I get out the Mr Coffee.

I actually will even wear shorts out and about without shaving. Although not often, since I'm not a big fan of shorts. Capri leggings a bit more often. I'm all for the whole emancipation thing. If men can wear shorts without shaving their legs, so can I.

• Like 1

:lol:  Hmm, no pressure, right?

Considering that I actually do work for a living most of the time I'm at school doing that teaching thingy, I guess the next day I can promise is likely June 29th or 30th (aka right after they mutilate my dominate hand and I'm not doing anything aside from sitting and left hand typing!).

Can you keep the question on a post it note until then (or sooner if fate puts me in a similar situation at school or elsewhere before then)?

WHAT, I SAY!   WHAT? 

No, I'm sorry, most of us probably won't be able to wait that long.  I know, you need to fast forward your calendar at work.  Or, play from home - right?  

• Like 1