Menu

Someone needs to start a popular (or controversial) thread today.

creekland

This morning I'm technically at school working - earning someone's tax dollars, but in reality am just supervising tests and computer projects kids need to complete individually.

This, of course, means I'm bored out of my mind and need to count on the Hive to provide entertainment until about 2:20pm EDT or so.  THEN I have a life and plans to keep me occupied.

You get a break that you don't have to clear up a headache I woke up with.  Ibuprofen did that.  ;)

You're just tasked with entertainment - and I can't watch videos or anything loud for obvious reasons.

Cupcakes? Crockpots?  No YEC.  That was so yesterday and I finally lost track of trying to keep up there.

Since I'm on a school computer, it's probably best not to discuss ps too.  The kids are working - just on things I shouldn't help them with.

• Like 3

Here's some controversy:  I keep my bread in the fridge.  Have at me here, everyone!

Do you talk on your phone while getting bread out of the fridge too?   :laugh:

I missed a crock pot thread? And a controversial one at that? Oh, great!

I am trying to think of something, but a slight cold and going to the dentist to get a permanent crown are occupying my thoughts.

The crock pot thread wasn't recent.  It was just memorable.

Otherwise, I think I prefer my boredom to your cold and dentist appt, so no switching places.

ps  Hope you feel better soon.

pps  Our dentist won't work on people with a cold.  He reschedules.  Is yours different?

• Like 1

Okay, how about... if your spouse told you they wanted to transition to the other gender, what would you do? Stay? Get divorced? Something else? This should probably be a poll, but I'm not feeling like trying to figure that out at the moment. FTR, I stayed.

• Like 2

Okay, how about... if your spouse told you they wanted to transition to the other gender, what would you do? Stay? Get divorced? Something else? This should probably be a poll, but I'm not feeling like trying to figure that out at the moment. FTR, I stayed.

Ohh interesting.  I'd probably stay, but I would not have sex with her because I am not attracted to women in that way.  I'd assume his/her personality wouldn't change a great deal so that'd be ok.

Grin, you probably don't want me to start one since they get locked or deleted...  ( still not sure why it was deleted...)

As long as it gets locked or deleted after 2:20pm EDT, I'm ok with that.  It would save me the anguish of not being able to keep up on it all later on as I do have to be places later on.

I think the first thing I would have to do is pick myself up off the floor...  Beyond that, I've no idea.  It must have been a really weird time in your life.   :grouphug:

• Like 2

I'd stay!  Mine's a keeper!

• Like 1

Depends on what kind of person he was, and whether I was inclined toward dating someone who liked women.

If he was a nice guy, good father, good friend, I'd probably let him stay.  I might quietly divorce him so I could be free in case romance ever crossed my path again.  It's only fair.

Here you go: I despise Keurig machines. I'm sure they have their purposes (college dorms spring to mind), but the waste generated by those darn cups makes me twitchy. I know there is such a thing as a little refillable cartdidge thingy, but the word on the street is that these will no longer work in the Kuerig 2.0 machines.

NOTE: I'm not calling people who *use* K-cups any names by making this statement.

• Like 9

Here you go: I despise Keurig machines. I'm sure they have their purposes (college dorms spring to mind), but the waste generated by those darn cups makes me twitchy. I know there is such a thing as a little refillable cartdidge thingy, but the word on the street is that these will no longer work in the Kuerig 2.0 machines.

NOTE: I'm not calling people who *use* K-cups any names by making this statement.

I don't like them either.  Never had a really good cup of coffee from one, and I've tried lots of flavors.

• Like 2

You forgot the part where you said, "Don't quote me since I plan to delete this later."

Great topic, though, since it can veer into spouse bashing, religious content, or any number of directions.  Maybe even crockpots, shopping carts, or sidewalk-hogging strollers.

Wouldn't it depend on why the spouse is transitioning?  LIke, if a husband wants to transition to being female, and is wanting to pursue relationships with males, then wouldn't that be different than a husband who wants to be female in a relationship with a female?  Obviously not something I've thought about much, so I've no clue if I'm blundering tremendously by asking this -- apologies in advance to those who have a clue about gender issues.

• Like 4

:leaving:  My students are also working on things they don't need my help on right now. My biggest contributions in this class has been to get safety pins, turn on the laminator and advise on the size and colour of letters. We have music playing in the classroom and right now the boys are tapping their feet and clapping to "Girls just wanna have fun".

I do not teach art, although some days it feels like it.

• Like 4

My college student said she didn't want a Keurig since she thinks K-cups are too expensive.  We found a nice little coffee maker that makes one cup at a time sans the K-cups.  She still goes over her budget for food most months, but at least it isn't because of coffee.

• Like 2

I despise coffee in general...

Perhaps that's controversial in itself.  Then add the lack of "green" traits to K-cups.

Otherwise, I looked over my schedule again and at 9:10 I get to inspect some bathroom walls for graffiti (too many bomb threats on bathroom walls at our school).

I never had to do this task homeschooling.  It's my first time doing it here too as we play the ole cat and mouse game (I think). 

• Like 1

My college student said she didn't want a Keurig since she thinks K-cups are too expensive. We found a nice little coffee maker that makes one cup at a time sans the K-cups. She still goes over her budget for food most months, but at least it isn't because of coffee.

That's it for me too--the expense. Oh and what a pp said--the coffee it makes isn't that good.

• Like 1

We could discuss smooshy bread. I can't for the life of me figure out how one bread product can smash another.

Unless people are talking about something like Wonder Bread? Then we can get all controversial and debate whether that's real bread or simply a vehicle for transporting peanut butter to the mouth.

I'm sick today. Be gentle. I see lots of directions this could go.

• Like 1

My husband's office only has Kureg maker. You have to supply the coffee yourself. There's not a place that sells coffee near his work, so if he didn't resort to the cups he'd have to go without caffeine all day. Surely all you Kureg haters have room in your hearts for some compassion, right?!

(we hate the waste too. But a caffeine free work day is cruel, just cruel)

• Like 1

Bathroom walls are clean!  Phew.  If they weren't, I'd have had paperwork to do and I despise extra paperwork.

How about this:  I don't like Trader Joe's.

I've never been to a Trader Joe's, so I wouldn't be able to participate (without guessing anyway).

Good brainstorming though.

We could discuss smooshy bread. I can't for the life of me figure out how one bread product can smash another.

Unless people are talking about something like Wonder Bread? Then we can get all controversial and debate whether that's real bread or simply a vehicle for transporting peanut butter to the mouth.

Glad to be of service providing entertainment if you're not feeling well - and, more importantly - I hope you feel better soon.

To me, Wonder bread (or any other "basic" white bread) isn't bread.  I grew up on it and my mom still uses it all the time, but once I left home I discovered this really tasty thing called BREAD.  It's rarely white (but can be if the density and flavor are better).

• Like 3

I have a 2.0 and I use a reusable filter. I like my coffee strong and decaf and I only want one cup a day. The Keurig 2.0 works perfectly for me and the grounds go in my compost bin. No waste.

ETA: As for the other topic, bread in the freezer - mine is sold in the freezer case and it stays in the freezer at home. I love it because I'm no longer throw out moldy bread because there is none. :0)

I went off those popular white breads long before I had kids.  And I never bought them for my kids.  But other people did, until my kids refused to eat the nice brown-ish breads I was buying.  So now I don't bother.  I buy Schwebel's sandwich bread, and my kids eat it every day.  I'm not thrilled about it, but I ate the same way as a kid, and I have always been pretty much the picture of health, so ....

You forgot the part where you said, "Don't quote me since I plan to delete this later."

Whenever I read that, I feel an (almost) irresistible urge to copy and save the post for later blackmail. Everyone's saving grace is that I just don't have interest to bother. Since when does, "Don't post anything you would not say in public" mean, "If you post private information only for a short time it doesn't count"?

• Like 10

Bathroom walls are clean! Phew. If they weren't, I'd have had paperwork to do and I despise extra paperwork.

I've never been to a Trader Joe's, so I wouldn't be able to participate (without guessing anyway).

Good brainstorming though.

Glad to be of service providing entertainment if you're not feeling well - and, more importantly - I hope you feel better soon.

To me, Wonder bread (or any other "basic" white bread) isn't bread. I grew up on it and my mom still uses it all the time, but once I left home I discovered this really tasty thing called BREAD. It's rarely white (but can be if the density and flavor are better).

Right. Our bread is dense and chewy and full of grains and other goodness. I think the kind susceptible to smooshing isn't the same thing.

Glad to hear about the bathroom walls. Unfortunately the thought of public anywhere bathroom walls is making me feel queasy. And I only have a cold. Power to the woman who checks on them!

(I'm so glad I re-read that last sentence before posting. It autocorrected to the woman who necks on them, and that's just too weird for my fuzzy head to handle this morning)

• Like 1

(I'm so glad I re-read that last sentence before posting. It autocorrected to the woman who necks on them, 

I'm pretty sure that would be frowned upon in ps too.

Sorry all for having too many complications...

Fortunately, my kids grew up on real bread and wonder what grandma (and others) see in the other stuff.

• Like 2

My husband's office only has Kureg maker. You have to supply the coffee yourself. There's not a place that sells coffee near his work, so if he didn't resort to the cups he'd have to go without caffeine all day. Surely all you Kureg haters have room in your hearts for some compassion, right?!

(we hate the waste too. But a caffeine free work day is cruel, just cruel)

The place we rent in the summer at the shore only has a Keurig. So, for one week a year, I "have" to buy K-cups. I grant you, I could pack my own coffee maker...actually, that isn't the worst idea, except that our car already looks like we're headed to a homestead in Alaska to await The Apocolypse. One more thing to pack.

• Like 4

I have a 2.0 and I use a reusable filter. I like my coffee strong and decaf and I only want one cup a day. The Keurig 2.0 works perfectly for me and the grounds go in my compost bin. No waste.

ETA: As for the other topic, bread in the freezer - mine is sold in the freezer case and it stays in the freezer at home. I love it because I'm no longer throw out moldy bread because there is none. :0)

Good to know. I read that the computer on board would reject them. Perhaps it is only the generic cups that it rejects.

Ok, confession to make.  I have to abandon the Hive for 35 - 45 minutes as we have a reading period at our school where both kids and teachers are expected to READ - off computer (except for Kindles, etc).

Imagine that... reading in school.  Who would have thought?

I used to bring books, but since I get interrupted so much by kids going to/from the library exchanging books and I actually have to make sure the kids are reading (some require a reminder of what reading means - it can be a difficult word to comprehend), keeping my spot mentally in a book is a problem.  Now I read Reader's Digest - short things - and usually interesting.

This all starts at 10am...

I'll catch up on the thread not long afterward I suspect!

• Like 4

If my spouse wanted to transition to female, I don't think I could stay. Just being honest. The truth is I don't know how all of that works out in a relationship, sooo maybe there is the possibility I could decide to stay, but I don't see it.  Now, I would still care about him (her?) but I don't think I could see having a marriage.

By the way, bread is evil in all forms.  White, wheat, all of it. I saw the blessed light and have turned back to the only true way of eating-Atkins. It is good for me, so of course that means it is the right and true way of eating for all. Now, I say this in love-bread, rice, potatoes, sugar, and pasta are just sinful creation of the devil. They tempt with their carby goodness but we must resist.  Really, if I have to resist, so must everyone.   Now, if this offends you, you are being convicted by the Holy Low Carb Spirit.  You can repent and get rid of your sinful starches. 

I just speak the Truth. 

I will pray for all of you.

• Like 9

Bread may be the devil, but it packs well, and so far it's the only thing my kids haven't gotten sick of over the years.

I actually don't eat much of it myself, but I do love nice freshly-baked bread.  You know, the bakery stuff, since I never bake.

• Like 1

The place we rent in the summer at the shore only has a Keurig. So, for one week a year, I "have" to buy K-cups. I grant you, I could pack my own coffee maker...actually, that isn't the worst idea, except that our car already looks like we're headed to a homestead in Alaska to await The Apocolypse. One more thing to pack.

We've taken our coffee maker on vacation with us. :)

• Like 1

Bathroom walls are clean!  Phew.  If they weren't, I'd have had paperwork to do and I despise extra paperwork.

I regularly tell my students not to kill each other/have deadly accidents during school hours because...paperwork

To me, Wonder bread (or any other "basic" white bread) isn't bread.  I grew up on it and my mom still uses it all the time, but once I left home I discovered this really tasty thing called BREAD.  It's rarely white (but can be if the density and flavor are better).

We call wonder bread type bread plastic bread and I don't even use it as a vechicle for peanut butter, I would rather eat my peanut butter with apple slices or a spoon than with wonder bread.

I am now all by my lonesome in the office as my colleagues have all gone home. I just need to print some things and then I am abandoning ship too. Out into the sun I go.

• Like 3

We take our coffee maker on vacation. Ok, espresso maker. Pure yumminess. No K cups for us!

I would stay. Absolutely, no question.

Bread - we don't have much. We keep our GF bread in the freezer till we're ready to open up a new loaf - then it stays on the counter.

Oh, and I don't bake it either. Udi's all the way.

• Like 1

Would I still stay?  That would depend on a lot of factors.  Staying in a relationship wouldn't bother me but I'm not interested in lesbian sex.  Would she be looking for a male or be looking for a lesbian sex?  

My DH likes putting apples in the fridge because he thinks they last longer.  I keep pointing out they last longer because no one will eat them when they are cold.

• Like 1

So I just read an article about the minimum wage for restaurant workers in Seattle. A new law requires an increase over the next couple of years to a $15/hr minimum wage. Restaurant owners (according to the article) responded that the effect will raise prices and/or reduce the number of front of the house staff, which may reduce quality of service.

My question is, if you know your waiter is earning $15/hr, and your favorite casual dining spot has raised prices, are you still inclined towards a 15-20% tipping model?

• Like 1

So I just read an article about the minimum wage for restaurant workers in Seattle. A new law requires an increase over the next couple of years to a $15/hr minimum wage. Restaurant owners (according to the article) responded that the effect will raise prices and/or reduce the number of front of the house staff, which may reduce quality of service.

My question is, if you know your waiter is earning $15/hr, and your favorite casual dining spot has raised prices, are you still inclined towards a 15-20% tipping model?

I expect my service to be better if I'm paying more.  If the service does not match the priciness of the restaurant, my tip definitely reflects that.