Menu

Ignore this thread!

So, I get to Awana tonight, check my baby in to Cubbies and ask the gal, "when am I signed up to bring snacks?" And she looks at them list and says, "uhhh, tonight " and I start to say,"but I didn't get my reminder call...." And then I remember that we changed telephone # and e-mail address and forgot to tell them. This is why I always have a big box of fruit snacks and/or granola bars from Costco on hand. And why I'm glad Awana is 5 minutes away from my house. And why I'm glad I have an understanding and accommodating Dh. Phew. Crisis averted.

• Like 10

We are mesmerized by Gordon's steaks. Mmmmmmm. How'd yours turn out, Slache?

Twas super nummers! The kids devoured it.

So, I get to Awana tonight, check my baby in to Cubbies and ask the gal, "when am I signed up to bring snacks?" And she looks at them list and says, "uhhh, tonight " and I start to say,"but I didn't get my reminder call...." And then I remember that we changed telephone # and e-mail address and forgot to tell them. This is why I always have a big box of fruit snacks and/or granola bars from Costco on hand. And why I'm glad Awana is 5 minutes away from my house. And why I'm glad I have an understanding and accommodating Dh. Phew. Crisis averted.

Noice save!
  • Like 3

Well, I liked the Paleo chicken meatloaf.  Dh said it was one of those things where he prayed his "Thank you Lord for this food I'm supposed to eat" prayer.  Hmph!  :glare:  It's ok.  He can just douse it in ketchup (or the Filipino equivalent - Mang Tomas' All Purpose Sauce).  

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 5

Good Thursday Morning!  The day before the real snow is expected.  Want to compare estimates?  6 - 11 inches?  10-20 inches?  I think I've heard both. 

Krissi, :grouphug: .  And Jean, Ikslo, - wow, great replies!  I can never come up with the right thing in the moment or even an hour afterwards.  The next day - maybe. 

• Like 4

Good morning, ITT. 
We have another "snow day". There's barely a dusting of snow, but we had freezing drizzle all night. The roads are nasty. :/ 
So, I get another day at home! Woohoo!

Also, this is how I feel about today. Granted, I get to stay home, but I got the call at 5:30 and couldn't go back to sleep. 

62a07270e0618d8d528ec4a0dd65abd0.jpg

eta a bigger picture. the other was too small. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 10

Good Morning!

I woke with a headache, but it's better.

We were in the 1-3 inch range; It is now 3-6 inches. Some areas are expecting 2 foot! Wow!

I hope everyone stays safe.

Susan, are you getting any snow?

Ikslo, I have no advice. But I think testing would be a good idea just so you would know and have peace of mind on the matter. Does he reverse letters/words when reading? Like was to saw? Or is it just when he writes?

I noticed this week, in spelling, little dd wrote "pruple" for purple and "trutle" for turtle. I reminded her to sound the word she had written, and she saw her mistakes. I think she probably just got in a hurry, but I will keep it in mind.

• Like 6

Good Morning, ladies! I was wondering how you all in the path of that storm are doing. Don't take unnecessary risks. Don't drive on treacherous roads!

Good morning, ITT.

We have another "snow day". There's barely a dusting of snow, but we had freezing drizzle all night. The roads are nasty. :/

So, I get another day at home! Woohoo!

Also, this is how I feel about today. Granted, I get to stay home, but I got the call at 5:30 and couldn't go back to sleep.

62a07270e0618d8d528ec4a0dd65abd0.jpg

eta a bigger picture. the other was too small.

Mary, I love this! I want to frame it and hang it in my kitchen!
  • Like 4

I am among the living.  Yesterday, I kinda wondered.  Or I was so sick I didn't care if I slipped into the next life.  I woke up at 7 am with this:

http://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorders/types-vestibular-disorders/benign-paroxysmal-positional-vertigo

I've never had it before, and I cannot recommend it unless you love horrible vertigo, nystagmus, and vomiting.  However, I took a phenergan, slept all day, and was mostly okay when I woke up.  I consulted my on call doctor, Jean, and had dh weigh in, as well.

My amazing kid took over completely, making meals for the kids and doing school with his younger sibling.  I didn't ask him to do anything.  I just woke the boys, told them I was horribly sick, and went back to bed.  He took over from there.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 6

You have a Cubbie! :001_wub:   DD is a student leader for Cubbies; it's her favorite day of the week!

• Like 5

I am among the living. Yesterday, I kinda wondered. Or I was so sick I didn't care if I slipped into the next life. I woke up at 7 am with this:

http://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorders/types-vestibular-disorders/benign-paroxysmal-positional-vertigo

I've never had it before, and I cannot recommend it unless you love horrible vertigo, nystagmus, and vomiting. However, I took a phenergan, slept all day, and was mostly okay when I woke up. I consulted my on call doctor, Jean, and had dh weigh in, as well.

My amazing ds13 took over completely, making meals for the kids and doing school with little dd. I didn't ask him to do anything. I just woke the boys, told them I was horribly sick, and went back to bed. He took over from there.

:grouphug: I'm glad your feeling better.

And three cheers for your ds. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: It is wonderful to know that someone is there to step in when we need help. Dd16 does that here. :)

• Like 3

I am among the living. Yesterday, I kinda wondered. Or I was so sick I didn't care if I slipped into the next life. I woke up at 7 am with this:

I've never had it before, and I cannot recommend it unless you love horrible vertigo, nystagmus, and vomiting. However, I took a phenergan, slept all day, and was mostly okay when I woke up. I consulted my on call doctor, Jean, and had dh weigh in, as well.

My amazing ds13 took over completely, making meals for the kids and doing school with little dd. I didn't ask him to do anything. I just woke the boys, told them I was horribly sick, and went back to bed. He took over from there.

Oh, you poor thing! I have that, but not to the extent you do. I just feel like I've just gotten off one of those carnival rides that spin you around and make you go upside down. Sometimes it's worse than others.
  • Like 4

Ikslo, I have no advice. But I think testing would be a good idea just so you would know and have peace of mind on the matter. Does he reverse letters/words when reading? Like was to saw? Or is it just when he writes?

Just when he writes.  I think I am going to talk to DH about possible starting with CODV vision screening and go from there.

I noticed this week, in spelling, little dd wrote "pruple" for purple and "trutle" for turtle. I reminded her to sound the word she had written, and she saw her mistakes. I think she probably just got in a hurry, but I will keep it in mind.

Can she spell it correctly out loud?  (DS does.  It's like he sees it correctly in his head, but there is a disconnect from the brain to the paper.)  Does she only catch it when you ask her to double check or can she catch it on her own?  (DS writes so slowly, I think he's just thinking about every letter to catch it himself before he gets it "wrong."  But then if he is tired or hurrying, he does not catch it.  Can be staring right at it, and still sees it correctly in his head.  Other times, he notices right away.)

• Like 2

Just when he writes. I think I am going to talk to DH about possible starting with CODV vision screening and go from there.

Can she spell it correctly out loud? (DS does. It's like he sees it correctly in his head, but there is a disconnect from the brain to the paper.) Does she only catch it when you ask her to double check or can she catch it on her own? (DS writes so slowly, I think he's just thinking about every letter to catch it himself before he gets it "wrong." But then if he is tired or hurrying, he does not catch it. Can be staring right at it, and still sees it correctly in his head. Other times, he notices right away.)

Yes, she spells words correctly orally. And she doesn't catch it (writing/spelling) unless I point it out. She also reverses b and d quite frequently and I have to remind her to make them the correct way. Little ds does this some, but she does it more frequently.

I am not familiar at all with the vision screening, but that seems like a good plan. Especially since it is when writing and not reading. I hope that will give you some answers. He sounds like an extremely bright and intelligent boy, and no doubt it is stressing to him when writing. I hope you find some answers and please keep us updated.

• Like 1

Ds says that I can't use dank as a descriptor anymore because it has been appropriated by the marijuana culture. 

Ds does not know whereof he speaks. There are far more people who do NOT know that than there are people who do. Don't give it up. Hmph.

• Like 4

We put sensory kid through COVD therapy--but it was for convergence insufficiency. Many of his dyslexia-like issues went away after therapy.

There are different schools of thought on what dyslexia is. In ds's case, there seems to be some orthographic processing issues, some auditory processing issues, and some visual motor issues....but not dyslexia.  

What I'm trying to say is, it might help, it might not.

I'd get a CTOPP test and some other educational testing done as well as part of the mix.

• Like 3

This is our first year in a long time that we don't have a Cubbie.  Six kids, 2 years apart = 12 straight years of Cubbies.

My all time favorite Bible verses from this age:  "While we were yet dinners, Christ died for us." -- dd9 and "Children, obey your parents in the Lord for Mrs. White."  -- dd5

I am among the living.  Yesterday, I kinda wondered.  Or I was so sick I didn't care if I slipped into the next life.  I woke up at 7 am with this:

I've never had it before, and I cannot recommend it unless you love horrible vertigo, nystagmus, and vomiting.  However, I took a phenergan, slept all day, and was mostly okay when I woke up.  I consulted my on call doctor, Jean, and had dh weigh in, as well.

My amazing ds13 took over completely, making meals for the kids and doing school with little dd.  I didn't ask him to do anything.  I just woke the boys, told them I was horribly sick, and went back to bed.  He took over from there.

:grouphug:

• Like 6

I made it to training alive. The first few miles were terrible; the rest of the trip was dry. My car only goes to 65 mph,  but the speed limit is 75. My car shook a lot of the way and would periodically decelerate, and it wasn't even going uphill. The gps sent me to SE instead of NE, so I had to reprogram to get where I was supposed to be. An hour drive took me almost 1.5 hours. It was very stressful. When I arrived, they were still introducing themselves, but I had them pass me until I could destress and speak. 

Funny enough, I've been to this building for trainings before, but I realized today that I've never actually driven here myself. I've carpooled once, and had a couple of times that I took the train and someone from the organization picked me up from the station and brought me. No wonder I was shaking when I finally got here.

• Like 3

Oh, you poor thing! I have that, but not to the extent you do. I just feel like I've just gotten off one of those carnival rides that spin you around and make you go upside down. Sometimes it's worse than others.

I'm so sorry you have this, too!  I've had very minor episodes lately, but this was beyond anything I've ever experienced.  I was so grateful to wake up and feel better.  I still have mild vertigo, but I can manage it.  I cannot imagine living this way for days or weeks on end.  I have so much empathy for anyone who suffers with that.

I made a list of four phone calls I need to make and made two of them today.  One went well, and the other did not.  <insert Chevy Chase rant>  

#bankofamericasucks

#allbankssuck

#isaidsuck

• Like 3

Friends, do you recall the young lady with the softball sized growth on her ovary?  Her mom called me yesterday right after I became functional to tell me it was malignant.   :(  She is 19 with some sort of ovarian cancer.  Her mother was so distraught that I didn't get much information beyond the cancer dx.  How shocking!  She is so young.  

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 5

So sorry to hear about Hannah. :( We will pray. Medical appointments are stressful in the best of times. It is very kind of you to help her family. When my mom was very ill, I was thankful when my brother could come to appointments with us. Sometimes an extra ear can help hear things we would otherwise miss. Hugs to you all.

• Like 2

Friends, do you recall the young lady with the softball sized growth on her ovary?  Her mom called me yesterday right after I became functional to tell me it was malignant.   :(  She is 19 with some sort of ovarian cancer.  Her mother was so distraught that I didn't get much information beyond the cancer dx.  How shocking!  She is so young.  I offered to attend the oncologist appointments with her and take notes.  Neither parent is medically-savvy and both are beside themselves.  The young lady seems to have a positive outlook.  If you are the praying type, please keep her in your prayers.  Her name is Hannah.  Such a lot for a young person to experience, and her fertility is now in question depending on treatment.

What a terrifying diagnosis; poor Hannah!  I will include her in my prayers, Tex.

• Like 2

Tex, I am sorry to hear about Hannah. We will pray.

I had my first encounters with vertigo for a few weeks this summer after falling on my head. Fortunately, it was the kind that eventually corrected itself and I am happy to not have to deal with it any more!

Tex, I think the nausea aspect would for sure do me in.

• Like 1

Friends, do you recall the young lady with the softball sized growth on her ovary? Her mom called me yesterday right after I became functional to tell me it was malignant. :( She is 19 with some sort of ovarian cancer. Her mother was so distraught that I didn't get much information beyond the cancer dx. How shocking! She is so young. I offered to attend the oncologist appointments with her and take notes. Neither parent is medically-savvy and both are beside themselves. The young lady seems to have a positive outlook. If you are the praying type, please keep her in your prayers. Her name is Hannah. Such a lot for a young person to experience, and her fertility is now in question depending on treatment.

Oh my. This is heartbreaking. Praying for her and her parents.

• Like 1