Menu

Ignore this thread!

I don't remember: what instruments do you and your dc play?

I play mostly violin, and a bit of cello, piano, and harp. My oldest plays double bass and piano, dd17 plays flute and sings, and some cello, dd13 plays violin, ds11 plays cello, dd9 plays violin, and dd7 plays nothing, but dd9 sometimes gives her "violin lessons". :D I am hoping she will want to take up the viola, since we don't have any violists.

• Like 4

She sent an e-mail to the whole group saying she wouldn't be back because she only wants to dance and doesn't want to spend a nanosecond on Hawaiian culture or language or anything.

If they are not interested in culture, I would suggest they enroll in a poopaerobics class. Though it would be a little insulting to real poopaerobics, which is full of culture and meaning.

• Like 4

Wow. That was rude.

That's what I thought. And I was surprised, because (1) she has some Hawaiian roots, and for Hawaiians, there is no separation between hula and Hawaiian history and language, and (2) she didn't seem like that kind of person at all. Maybe she didn't intend it to be, IDK, snarky or something, but it will be interesting to see who shows up today.

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 5

That's what I thought. And I was surprised, because (1) she has some Hawaiian roots, and for Hawaiians, there is no separation between hula and Hawaiian history and language, and (2) she didn't seem like that kind of person at all. Maybe she didn't intend it to be, IDK, snarky or something, but it will be interesting to see who shows up today.

Then from the beginning, it should have been called a dance class, and not hula thus insulting the culture. Of course you have no control over that part.

Have you talked to the other participants and asked about expectations? Have you asked the former teacher why she picked you as successor and is now sabotaging your efforts? I'd be curious.

• Like 4

Then from the beginning, it should have been called a dance class, and not hula thus insulting the culture. Of course you have no control over that part.

Have you talked to the other participants and asked about expectations? Have you asked the former teacher why she picked you as successor and is now sabotaging your efforts? I'd be curious.

One of the dancers, who was sort of a leader, wrote me a long email telling me what she thought. I respect her thoughts, and I'm tweaking the class as I go along, but I don't know how much I can dummy the class down.  They only want to dance. Perhaps I should recommend a Hot Hula class, which is only dance.

I'm not sure the former teacher realizes that she is sabotaging my efforts. She just thought it was, IDK, fair or something to let everyone know she isn't coming back and why. I don't know how much damage control I can do. We'll see how it goes today.

She sent an e-mail to the whole group saying she wouldn't be back because she only wants to dance and doesn't want to spend a nanosecond on Hawaiian culture or language or anything.

What a weirdo!

"Weirdo" is another favorite word. I use it frequently!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

My kids are squabbling and restless today. I need to add more physical activity to their day----inexpensive stuff I can do at home.

Does anyone have a list of old recess games like jump rope, 4 square, hopscotch, etc.?

Obstacle course? They are as fun to make as to do. How about a super active Simon Says? Red Light, Green Light or What Time Is It Mr. Fox?

We're eating leftovers for lunch to use up the stuff in the fridge while the microwave still works.

We have lots of bread/sandwich fixings.

I cooked bacon so we can eat BLT's later.  Made 2 dozen hard-boiled eggs.

I also cooked some ground beef, but I don't know how that will help us when (if?) we lose power.

Dd11 made some gf cheddar-garlic biscuits; she's planning to bake some gf banana bread after lunch.

What am I missing?

Edited by Junie
  • Like 3

Junie--do you have a meal plan for the next three days? That's how long it usually took us to get the electrical grid back up.  My kids go through a lot of snacks--so popcorn, granola bars/energy bites, in addition to fruit and veg.  I load up the thermoses as well. They keep hot chocolate and soup steaming hot for 12 hours and warm for 18 hrs if you think electricity is going to go down soon.

• Like 4

Junie--do you have a meal plan for the next three days? That's how long it usually took us to get the electrical grid back up.  My kids go through a lot of snacks--so popcorn, granola bars/energy bites, in addition to fruit and veg.  I load up the thermoses as well. They keep hot chocolate and soup steaming hot for 12 hours and warm for 18 hrs if you think electricity is going to go down soon.

Great ideas!  Thank you.

• Like 1

Also, charge your electronics, download new books onto the kindle, get all of the batteries together with the flashlights, pull out the blankets, etc. It's all a lot less fun to do when you're doing it by a flashlight.

More good ideas!  After I eat lunch I'll get to work.  I want to enjoy a hot meal while I can!

• Like 1