Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D is not ready yet. I forgot to set it in automatic start. But it’s brewing.

Friday Eve!!!

School and work!!!!

We’re going into a heat wave this weekend starting tomorrow, bleh. 110 by Sunday. It’s like summer is bitter that we don’t want it to stick around so it says it’s not leaving.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I have my sketches ready to paint today. I'd better get to work. The debate for one is colored graphite or watercolor. I need to use the graphite. That animal is tricky to tame, but so vibrant and worth the effort because you only get really a few primary colors and earth tones to work with. Lots of mixing. On the other hand, watercolor lends itself to more of a painterly effect, and the backgrounds are so much easier to achieve. Decisions, decisions.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I have my sketches ready to paint today. I'd better get to work. The debate for one is colored graphite or watercolor. I need to use the graphite. That animal is tricky to tame, but so vibrant and worth the effort because you only get really a few primary colors and earth tones to work with. Lots of mixing. On the other hand, watercolor lends itself to more of a painterly effect, and the backgrounds are so much easier to achieve. Decisions, decisions.

Sounds to me like you would prefer the graphite. But what do I know??  

But I do know that if you ever feel like your paintings and sketches are cluttering up your house, you can always send one or two to me. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Junie said:

Is colored graphite the same thing as colored pencil?

Not quite. Colored pencils tend to be wax based. Colored graphite is, well, graphite. So more like pencils, and it can be wet to spread it. But it's very finicky. Mixing is tricky, and forget trying to scrub it off. It's just a bit hard to handle.

But I'm going to go with watercolor for the hibiscus for the effects, and graphite for the garlic flower.

• Like 4

Morning.  Worked out with dd this morning.  Came home and went to make eggs for breakfast and managed to put my finger through one egg (?) and then dropped the egg that was in my hand on the floor.  So now we have no eggs left.  

I've been trying to get a good routine for these last two weeks before classes start again because I have a tendency to get too much into doing something (like reading boards or books) and then nothing gets done.  Basically I set alarms on my phone.  The usual wakeup - at different times depending on whether I'm meeting dd or not.  Then a chores for 1 hour alarm which could also include planning school stuff, then lunch break.  I have until the chores alarm at 11am to check boards, eat breakfast, have my tea.  Which can be anywhere from 1 to 3 hours depending on the day.   Then 1/2 hour for doing math with dd, then 2 hours of doing class work.   That gets us to time to get ready for TKD 2 days a week, but has additional time other days.    I'm thinking of adding an alarm to add some yoga during the day, even the days I workout with dd I think it would be good.   I'm walking during TKD when the weather permits, with ds, but that's only at most 4 days a week, usually just 3 (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday).   Then there's alarms for yelling at one of the kids to do the dishes (8pm) and taking away the kids electronics (10pm).  They don't have to go to sleep but they can't stay on electronics all night unless it's Friday, Saturday or their one optional day a week.   Staying up late does not immediately lead to not having to get up in the morning.    The whole thing will have to be redone in less than 2 weeks when classes start. 

Dh was home yesterday because he didn't feel well and my alarms kept going off.  He was wondering what the heck was going on.  

• Like 3

Good morning!

A noise woke me at 5 and I sorta dozed off until 6.  I let the puppy out of his crate but instead of following me to to door to go out, he grabbed his favorite toy from the toy bin and sat down to play with it.  Eventually I got him to go out and dd14 got up to play with him so I could exercise.  Brought The Middles to tutorial and then went to Aldi and finally home again.  The girls just gave puppy a bath and now he's going nuts.

We have added another family member - Bob the Praying Mantis.

What should we have for lunch?  

Coffee!

• Like 3

Our dermatologist office finally answered their darn phone so the kids and I have appointments in a few weeks.  We get -sort of annual (not really)- skin checks.  They are most important for me and dd since we both have some odd, congenital moles, I've had a couple removed, she just has ones that watch.   It's probably important for dh too (although they never found anything of concern for him in past visits) but between his work and his running down to help his mom, I didn't feel comfortable making an appointment for him.

I called the eye doctor to get a replacement set of glasses since I managed to lose mine somewhere.  I have another good pair but I need two good pairs - one stays home and one stays in my purse to use at the science center.  I have a bunch of crappy pairs that are okay in a pinch but will give me a headache if I wear them too long.   They wanted me to come in for a check-up because we evidently haven't been in since 2018 but their appointments are all months out and I'm not sure I want to go right now.  It's certainly not an urgent matter because I can always tell when I need a new script.  

Now I just need to schedule pediatrician check-ups, my physical, probably gyn, and definitely mammo.   I'll do those in another 6 months or so......  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dd plays this game called Cookie Run with some of her online friends.  Each character is a different cookie flavor, some of which are quite weird.  But the other day she came out and mentioned how there was a new pink chocolate cookie and that among her friends, she was the only one who had tried dark chocolate and white chocolate but even she hadn't had pink chocolate.   I had never heard of pink chocolate but evidently it was just invented in 2017 or something.     Anyway, after confirming it was a real thing, I ordered a couple bars of Amazon as a surprise.   I just gave her one of them.    It was so sweet.  Her eyes got huge as she read the package, she looked up at me and it such a soft, sweet, surprised voice, "you got me pink chocolate?  Thank you so much!"   and after I left her room I could hear her tell her friends, "Oh my God guys, my mother bought me pink chocolate!".

It was sweet and she was so happy about something so small.     

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Dd plays this game called Cookie Run with some of her online friends.  Each character is a different cookie flavor, some of which are quite weird.  But the other day she came out and mentioned how there was a new pink chocolate cookie and that among her friends, she was the only one who had tried dark chocolate and white chocolate but even she hadn't had pink chocolate.   I had never heard of pink chocolate but evidently it was just invented in 2017 or something.     Anyway, after confirming it was a real thing, I ordered a couple bars of Amazon as a surprise.   I just gave her one of them.    It was so sweet.  Her eyes got huge as she read the package, she looked up at me and it such a soft, sweet, surprised voice, "you got me pink chocolate?  Thank you so much!"   and after I left her room I could hear her tell her friends, "Oh my God guys, my mother bought me pink chocolate!".

It was sweet and she was so happy about something so small.     

❤️

• Like 1

Good morning!

Puppy decided midnight would be a good time to wake up and bark until I took him out.  Grrrr.  We had the kids do math at breakfast - if it is 3pm in Hong Kong and they are 13 time zones ahead of us, what time was it here when dad was talking to them?  Also, if puppy barks in a downward direction at midnight, can they hear him in Hong Kong during their lunch meeting?

I have to get the kids registered for a class today - I keep forgetting to mail in their registrations, but I think I can do it online.

Coffee!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Morning, Happy Friday.   Today is all about the laundry.  Somehow I seem to have forgotten to do any for too long and there's a huge pile.   I think my confusion was caused by dd still not having put away the last batch of laundry I did.    Laundry, working on classes (almost done there), then planning school (we'll take next week off than start our school year school instead of our summer school).  At some point I'll swing by the science center to feed the turtle.   

I need to do some work at my storage unit so I can find things when I need them for classes.    I'm hoping for a not as hot day or at least a less humid day to do it but I may run out of days before that happens.   I also kind of find it creepy working there alone.   Especially when the timer on the lights switches them off and I have to walk around the corner and open the door to get them back on again.  

Dd really liked her pink chocolate.  Said it taste kind of fruity. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

Good morning! Just plugging away at school today, and enjoying oatmeal. I don’t usually eat grains but I was craving it so much. I love oatmeal 😋

Win - DD7 struggles with working memory and retention. Like, rightstart A took 18 months and years, kind of struggle. But today in math she actually showed PROGRESS! Money adding, reading times on the clock, days in the months... all notably better than they were and I didn’t feel like we were starting over at square one, for once. Maybe her brain has finally matured a bit and it’s clicking? Decoding with her reading was also improved.

This makes me really happy, too!

Hooray for your dd!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I did a test run today on printing worksheets to start history next week. What weight of paper is best for 2 sided printing? I used 20lb all-purpose printer paper but I can see the printing from the other side. I guess I could always print single side but that's twice the paper and I like the idea of two sided for this particular item: Notgrass mapbook. Would 24lb work well? Card stock would definitely be overkill.

I never use 20# paper. Ever. It's just too light. I'll admit to being a paper snob, but even so, 20# is too light. 24# would be fine.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Slache said:

I have asked Josh weird questions.

We are watching Scoob.

I don't like any of the new Scooby-Doos.  They are too different looking than the ones I grew up with.   And don't sound right. 

Edited by Where's Toto?
ETA: A Scooby-dooby-doo boo-ya!
  • Like 5

Dh now has three or four guys coming to view the house and discuss the mini-split systems.   Now he's looking at windows because he was looking at pulling off the siding and putting in new insulation, wrapping it for the winter, then putting up new siding in the spring.  Or something like that.     

I finally convinced him we should just fix up the house and not do a big addition (because we're old and shouldn't quadruple our mortgage right now), and he's fully embracing the idea.

• Like 2

I loved NG and DS9.  Couldn't get into any of the series past that.  I loved the personalities of DS9.  I don't think I've ever watched SG1, but will give it a try.

We took Sir Pups-a-lot to the Big Dog Park and he was in doggy heaven until he got tired of running.  We were only there for about 15 minutes, lol.  Hopefully he will sleep well tonight!

ETA: Oh my word - of course Firefly is on the top of the list!  

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1

Dh has been watching Star Trek with dd14 and dd16.  I think they are mostly watching NG, with a little bit of the original series here and there.

When NG first came out I used to watch it with my sister.  I've tried watching it with dh and the girls and I just can't.  I think because I have too many (good) memories attached with it.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I'm just handing out likes like candy, but I have never watched any of those.  Nothing since the original Star Trek and only that when there was absolutely nothing else on our three channels (abc, nbc, cbs)  

I’m similar except I have seen some of SG1 and some of Next Gen, but I don’t watch much “TV.”  But, yes, doling out the likes like Scrooge on Christmas morning.