Menu

What's with the ads?

I could make him sleep in the car.

Adam got a BOOYA!

Edited by Slache
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

Dd21 has a major nursing skills test today and is feeling anxious - if you are so inclined, she and her fellow nursing students would appreciate prayers!

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Dd21 has a major nursing skills test today and is feeling anxious - if you are so inclined, she and her fellow nursing students would appreciate prayers!

Praying Susan!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday Eve!!!

I can do this. I can do this!!  I meet with 4 families today. Two are in the Big City. And Bell Choir tonight. I am looking at this day, and I just don’t want to do it. But I have to, go here goes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! I'm lurking, but I'm here. I'm tired and grumpy and I have a headache. I wish I could blame Dave (he snores, too), but it's actually me keeping both of us awake. Maybe I'll try the recliner tonight.

(((Slache and Matt))) Navigating sleep is hard. And diets/weight management is hard, too. He'll be happier when he feels better, though. What kind of diet did you put him on?

You can do it Krissi!

Servant, are you feeling better?

I'm going to let my kids watch A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and take a shower. Maybe I won't be so grumpy afterward.

Bah humbug.

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Praying they can all be calm and do well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

What kind of diet did you put him on?

The tried and true "you have to eat the lunch I packed for you, not say you don't have time then come home starving and eat a bunch of carbs and cheese" diet.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

So far this morning:

Captain woke up at 5 am, Watched too much tv, hasn’t had a poopy for days, keeps having accidents unless I take him potty, and fell off a chair.

ASD Boy is still slightly sick, insists loudly he’s not going to the dentist, FINALLY convinced him to let me shear his hair (which normally he likes), took his shower, argued that he doesn’t need to cut his claws, and is pestering me to have Dad turn his tablet on.

Quiet Boy helped strip ASD Boy’s loft bed, made food he didn’t eat, and is taking a shower.

The Girl slept on the futon in my room, threw a fit about getting up, won’t eat, is trying to “do school” with Captain by making him write right handed (he’s a lefty, remember?), and needs a shower.

Wanna guess how the rest of my day is going to go? Can we go back to bed?

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Oh and I copped out on making biscuits for Scotsman work potluck. They are having a huge meeting then going off site to do it. And just when was I going to drop them off? I told him none of them need the carbs anyway.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hugs to everybody having a rough morning! A headache cost me some sleep, but I'm doing better now. We're starting a bit late, but making progress.

Is kanban Japanese for spreadsheet? Slache, that Techo diary thing is now on my wish list, even though I've never gotten very far with paper planners before. I don't necessarily plan to use it for school, though.

DS was well under 6 lbs. and got stuck anyway. I blame the continuous monitoring/preventive antibiotics/staying still.

Everybody at my house snores, even the kitty.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

Hugs to everybody having a rough morning! A headache cost me some sleep, but I'm doing better now. We're starting a bit late, but making progress.

Is kanban Japanese for spreadsheet? Slache, that Techo diary thing is now on my wish list, even though I've never gotten very far with paper planners before. I don't necessarily plan to use it for school, though.

DS was well under 6 lbs. and got stuck anyway. I blame the continuous monitoring/preventive antibiotics/staying still.

Kanban is an organizational technique that limits the amount of projects you have going. Each section on the spreadsheet is only allowed a certain number of items.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I wish I could blame Dave (he snores, too), but it's actually me keeping both of us awake. Maybe I'll try the recliner tonight.

You can do it Krissi!

Servant, are you feeling better?

I found sleeping on the couch much more confortable toward the end of pregnancy because I could angle my back so I wasn't on my back or my side.

Yes! Go Krissi, go!

Getting there. Comes and goes. I went to bed at 8:30 last night and slept til 7:00 this morning.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2

Got all the curriculum stuff organized, lunch made, dishes washed, and school is all done except math. If I can just figure out what I want to cook for dinner before I run out of steam, all will be wonderful in the Land of Servo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, whitehawk said:

Kanban is a productivity flowchart used initially by Toyota. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Kanban is a productivity flowchart used initially by Toyota. 

As children, we used to run around chasing each other with home made ninja swords (sticks) yelling the only Japanese-ish words we knew because they sounded so cool. Mostly names of cars: "Toyota!" 😂

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Servant4Christ said:

As children, we used to run around chasing each other with home made ninja swords (sticks) yelling to only Japanese-ish words we knew because they sounded so cool. Mostly names of cars: "Toyota!" 😂

Sayonara!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Slache said:

Sayonara!

Mitsubishi! Hyundai! Suzuki!

Toyota was the favorite and the more syllables the better 😂

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3

Lost my phone for almost half the day yesterday. No one called so I gave up looking because I was running on fumes as it was. I eventually stumbled across it by accident somewhere in the middle of Mt Laundry.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Lost my phone for almost half the day yesterday. No one called so I gave up looking because I was running on fumes as it was. I eventually stumbled across it by accident somewhere in the middle of Mt Laundry.

I thought I lost my phone, but dh says he saw it yesterday in my purse.  I very rarely use it, and no one ever calls it because I don't give out my number.

• Like 3

Took my dog with me to the clinic I work at to do some workup on a leg problem. She's mad at me because I sedated her and then poked on her, and she thought we were friends, and then I had to go be a doctor, and she'd forgotten I did that periodically. Dogs. She's sleeping off her drugs on her bed.

Now I have to get some writing done. but it's gray, cloudy, and I want to eat rice pudding and go to bed.

DH are looking forward to the day when we can have separate bedrooms. He's not a horrible snorer, but I'm a very restless sleeper, and sometimes I get hit with ideas in the middle of the night, or have insomnia. It's absolutely on my list of things to do when we have the space.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Took my dog with me to the clinic I work at to do some workup on a leg problem. She's mad at me because I sedated her and then poked on her, and she thought we were friends, and then I had to go be a doctor, and she'd forgotten I did that periodically. Dogs. She's sleeping off her drugs on her bed.

Now I have to get some writing done. but it's gray, cloudy, and I want to eat rice pudding and go to bed.

DH are looking forward to the day when we can have separate bedrooms. He's not a horrible snorer, but I'm a very restless sleeper, and sometimes I get hit with ideas in the middle of the night, or have insomnia. It's absolutely on my list of things to do when we have the space.

I want to laugh at some of this and high five the rest 😂

Homemade rice pudding, right? None of that store bought stuff. I make it all winter long. With raisins. Oh, and homemade whipped cream for the top. Hmmmm. I might just have to raid the pantry soon and make some. The family will be so excited because I don't usually start making it until Thanksgiving.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2

I have never made rice pudding. 

Yeah, yeah, I know that i am such a disappointment.  But since I don't eat rice pudding and couldn't eat it even if I wanted to, it's not a loss for me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have never made rice pudding. 

Yeah, yeah, I know that i am such a disappointment.  But since I don't eat rice pudding and couldn't eat it even if I wanted to, it's not a loss for me.

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I have no desire to eat rice pudding.

I was the same as both of you until a few years ago when DH said he likes it and asked if I could learn to make it for him. I tried many recipes and eventually found a winner. The whole family and all our friends who have tried it all love it and request it around the winter holidays. I surprised myself by actually liking it, too.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I have no desire to eat rice pudding.

20 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Me, neither.

My DS will happily take your shares. I would like a good recipe for homemade (and I will try it with almond milk).

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Slache said:

The tried and true "you have to eat the lunch I packed for you, not say you don't have time then come home starving and eat a bunch of carbs and cheese" diet.

What keeps him from stopping off for snacks?

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Send me your number. I'll call you next time, then promptly hang up when you answer.

3 hours ago, Junie said:

I thought I lost my phone, but dh says he saw it yesterday in my purse.  I very rarely use it, and no one ever calls it because I don't give out my number.

How about text? Pass me your number so I can text inane things periodically. (don't want you to feel left out)

1st child - 40 weeks, labor, 46 hours, csection, 6 lbs 10 oz. 2nd child - 42 weeks and a day, labor, 12 hours (or so...don't remember), transferred to hospital and midwife continued to assist, got walking epidural, napped, woke up, pushed out, 8 lbs 10 oz. Which should have been impossible to grow a kid that big considering I'm only 4'11 and dh is 5'5 (or 6).

Dh introduced me to arroz con leche and I liked it before I realized that it was just a type of rice pudding (I think). It's all done on the stove top though. We make it on cold days. I may make some tomorrow morning.

It snowed today.

• Like 6

I like rice pudding but the rest of the family feels pretty meh about it, so I don’t bother. 

In other news, dd21 was told she passed the skills test with flying colors. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

In Japan, rice gruel (okayu)  (which admittedly isn't sweet like rice pudding) is "sick people's food".  So is Filipino Arroz Caldo.  So i don't associate mushy rice with anything other than being sick. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

In Japan, rice gruel (okayu)  (which admittedly isn't sweet like rice pudding) is "sick people's food".  So is Filipino Arroz Caldo.  So i don't associate mushy rice with anything other than being sick. 

I like that style too. I accidentally made something like it for Gymnast the last time she was sick. It was good! It was missing some essential herbs though...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Homemade rice pudding, right? None of that store bought stuff. I make it all winter long. With raisins. Oh, and homemade whipped cream for the top. Hmmmm. I might just have to raid the pantry soon and make some. The family will be so excited because I don't usually start making it until Thanksgiving.

Yes, homemade rice pudding. It was awesome.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Slache said:

I'm in the never had/don't care to try rice pudding camp but now I want banana pudding.

I associate banana pudding with sickness or injury. Seems like it's the dessert that got made whenever someone was under the weather.

• Like 1

The dog is still somewhat sleepy and giving me dirty looks. I think I'll drop her dose for the one drug the next time I give her light sedation. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Renai said:

How about text? Pass me your number so I can text inane things periodically. (don't want you to feel left out)

I would have no idea how to retrieve a text.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can someone share a super easy recipe for rice pudding?  I love rice pudding but haven't ever made it.  And pretty much never buy it.  I don't think I've had it in years, but I do like it.  I just eat it when it happens to be available.   I used to work for BASF Pharma and they had a really good rice pudding in the cafeteria. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Junie said:

I would have no idea how to retrieve a text.

Sounds like my husband. Flip phone extraordinaire. His boss still insists on texting him. And I have to retrieve them...

6 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Can someone share a super easy recipe for rice pudding?  I love rice pudding but haven't ever made it.  And pretty much never buy it.  I don't think I've had it in years, but I do like it.  I just eat it when it happens to be available.   I used to work for BASF Pharma and they had a really good rice pudding in the cafeteria. 

The only way I know how is to cook the rice first, add milk and simmer with sugar and cinnamon until desired consistency. That's all we do.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Renai said:

I like that style too. I accidentally made something like it for Gymnast the last time she was sick. It was good! It was missing some essential herbs though...

Adding garlic, ginger and tamarind  paste makes it so good tasting as well as good for you. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Recipe?

2 hours ago, whitehawk said:

My DS will happily take your shares. I would like a good recipe for homemade (and I will try it with almond milk).

Coconut milk works better but I did it with almond milk for years.

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

If it’s that mushy, it’s cooked waay too long!

My Rice Pudding story will have to wait until I’m on my laptop. I don’t like typing on my phone that much.

• Like 3

My washing machine smells bad! I’ve done all the tricks I know of: hot wash with a galloon of white vinegar. I cannot use bleach. Allergy. 

And my vacuum smells bad, too. 

• Sad 1

Rice Pudding

2 cups of water

1/4 tsp salt

1 cup medium grain rice (I will use a mix of medium, arborio, long grain, whatever I have)

4 cups milk

1 cup cream

2/3 cup sugar

2 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp almond extract (optional)

Bring water to boil in a large sauce pan. Add the rice and the salt. Cover and cook on low until most of the water is absorbed, but not all. Takes around 10-15 minutes depending on the type of rice. Add the milk, cream, and sugar. Cook, uncovered, on low heat until it thickens, stirring frequently. This can take a while--30 to 40 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and almond extract if using. Serve warm or cold. It's yummy.

You can use all whole milk, and some cream, or use milk and half and half. I typically just use 2% milk and cream. It's easier.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Renai said:

Sounds like my husband. Flip phone extraordinaire. His boss still insists on texting him. And I have to retrieve them...

The only way I know how is to cook the rice first, add milk and simmer with sugar and cinnamon until desired consistency. That's all we do.

Dehydrated horchata.

26 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

My washing machine smells bad! I’ve done all the tricks I know of: hot wash with a galloon of white vinegar. I cannot use bleach. Allergy. 

And my vacuum smells bad, too. 

Time to move!

• Like 3