Menu

What's with the ads?

1 hour ago, Slache said:

No, they don't talk about essentials. (Krissi is in the other room) "I leant $60 to Krissi a month ago and she said she would pay me back a week later and never did. Did you know she gets Starbucks every morning? How could she be this selfish? She's getting coffee and my car payment is late. Thanks for nothing." (Krissi enters the scene) "Hi Krissi, how are you? Have you seen the latest episode yet?"

So now I'm harboring bad feelings, my car payment is late and I'm not offering the opportunity for you to make it right. This is how they do EVERYTHING and it's resulted in massive toxicity. If I were to gently say "Hey Krissi, is there an update on that $60 I leant you? I really need it" I would be reprimanded. It makes no sense.

Well the answer to anything other than something directly between you and someone else in that family is "not my circus, not my monkeys".  If they call to gossip or vent ring your own doorbell if you have to, to have an excuse to get off the phone.  Or you could try the direct,  "That is between you and Krissi.  Please stop talking to me about it."  But personally, I would develop an immediate need to go to the bathroom if in person and a very busy doorbell to get off the phone. 

It's a Flying Circus Monkey Booyah! 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I walked miles and miles with my second labor (no exaggeration).  Labor had stalled and I was flat out determined not to be induced again.  If I had my first labor to do over again, I would have walked for miles then too - though in my defense, I had back labor with the first one and that might not have worked. 

Back labor is awful! Only someone who's been through it can truely understand how horrible it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

I walked miles and miles with my second labor (no exaggeration).  Labor had stalled and I was flat out determined not to be induced again.  If I had my first labor to do over again, I would have walked for miles then too - though in my defense, I had back labor with the first one and that might not have worked. 

With my oldest, my mom took me to an outlet mall.  

With one of my middles, my doctor stripped my membranes (without permission) because he wanted to induce me 2 weeks early and I wasn't on board with that.  Went into labor that night - 3 weeks early.  He denied having done it, but I could barely walk back to my car after that appointment.  He wasn't my doctor after that.

• Sad 7

48 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo: 

Bookie, how are you liking MFW? I've considered it many times but always decide against it because of all the DK and Usborne books. Do they just have you skip the evolutionary views/pages or is that content not in these particular titles? Oldest is the type who cannot just skip over pages. He's a read it cover to cover type. I am too.

I'm still waiting on my Amazon order to arrive. I do not have Prime. 😥

I love MFW! They actually work with the publishers to create editions of the books that have neutral language instead of evolutionary terms. There's nothing to skip. 

https://www.mfwbooks.com/wps/portal/c/evofree

Full disclosure, though, I don't use it exactly as written. I can explain more if you're interested, but I flex the curriculum to fit our needs. Using a boxed curriculum eliminates three quarters of my work in organizing and prep, though, so it's still totally worth it.

If the link above doesn't work, go to their main page and click on Evolution Free Resources on the bottom of the page.

Edited by ThatBookwormMom
Added the last sentence
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Slache said:

I can relate to all of this. And the thing is, in my opinion, not talking leads to nasty actions. I've had a credit card opened in my name because I refused to lend money, a dog adopted for me because someone felt we needed a dog, my wedding plans changed behind my back because she didn't like my opinion for her son's wedding. I mean seriously! And these are all things that should have been discussed and respected, but none of them have ever been discussed. If I bring it up I'm called nasty names and told not to do things like that. So you get to not communicate with me, alter things to go your way and then refuse to talk about it? No.

TeA!

I would put holds (or whatever it is called ) on all your financial accounts and credit.  Ie.  No one can open anything without extra steps and alerting you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Krissi!  For heaven's sake, just give Slache her money already!!  :laugh:

Yes. Krissi, I will PM you my address.

7 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Well the answer to anything other than something directly between you and someone else in that family is "not my circus, not my monkeys".  If they call to gossip or vent ring your own doorbell if you have to, to have an excuse to get off the phone.  Or you could try the direct,  "That is between you and Krissi.  Please stop talking to me about it."  But personally, I would develop an immediate need to go to the bathroom if in person and a very busy doorbell to get off the phone. 

This is generally my approach but we find the topic interesting.

5 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I would put holds (or whatever it is called ) on all your financial accounts and credit.  Ie.  No one can open anything without extra steps and alerting you. 

Yes. This was about 12 years ago.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Wow. Ok. Things are getting clearer now. I'm going to visit the sea for a while. I do not like this at all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

We emerged from the Post Office Passport Application Process unscathed!  

It is a stereotypical fall day today - chilly, drizzly, gray, with wet fall leaves blowing around and clinging to everything.  It's a good day to stay inside snuggled in a blanket and fuzzy socks with a book and cup of hot tea.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

We emerged from the Post Office Passport Application Process unscathed!  

It is a stereotypical fall day today - chilly, drizzly, gray, with wet fall leaves blowing around and clinging to everything.  It's a good day to stay inside snuggled in a blanket and fuzzy socks with a book and cup of hot tea.

Are they brown? It doesn't count if they're not brown.

• Like 2

I worked on the kitchen a bit.  I cannot say it's totally finished, but it's better.  Laundry has also been started.  I am hydrating now.  ☺️

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I used up all my paper and most of my ink, and I'm not quite done. Sigh. Oh well, the rest will have to wait until after I go grocery shopping and get more.

Now I have to go be productive in the kitchen. No idea what we're having for lunch, but we're having mini bagel pizzas for dinner. Yum!

Edited by ThatBookwormMom
Because I'm all outta moats, too
  • Like 5

I had dd13 measure my height today.  I was wondering why my driver's license says I'm 5' 7"  because obviously I'm only 5'5".  Turns out I'm 5' 6.5".  Dd13 grew 1/2" since last month and now she's 5' 7".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I used up all my paper and moat of my ink, and I'm not quite done. Sigh. Oh well, the rest will have to wait until after I go grocery shopping and get more.

Now I have to go be productive in the kitchen. No idea what we're having for lunch, but we're having mini bagel pizzas for dinner. Yum!

Gah! I didn't wanna come back yet but I saw a moat and thought of castles and couldn't not respond. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Slachie, I like you a lot but your personal disputes with others should be kept private. They are between you and those individuals. Please refer to the Book of Matthew about conflict resolution. I have found this very helpful when assessing my own motivations and need cut and clear direction. Airing things out publicly to shame others is wrong. ITT is supposed to be our happy place, right? You're the one who told me the rules when I first came here about a month ago. No negativity!

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Slachie, I like you a lot but your personal disputes with others should be kept private. They are between you and those individuals. Please refer to the Book of Matthew about conflict resolution. I have found this very helpful when assessing my own motivations and need cut and clear direction. Airing things out publicly to shame others is wrong. ITT is supposed to be our happy place, right? You're the one who told me the rules when I first came here about a month ago. No negativity!

I'm not Slache, but this is also a safe place for us to share our lives with each other. The situation she's been referring to is a long-standing one that a lot of us are familiar with and encourage her through. Today's specific example is just another episode. Slache has been extremely graceful and accommodating of the people involved, and has shown a Christian spirit in dealing with them.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I'm not Slache, but this is also a safe place for us to share our lives with each other. The situation she's been referring to is a long-standing one that a lot of us are familiar with and encourage her through. Today's specific example is just another episode. Slache has been extremely graceful and accommodating of the people involved, and has shown a Christian spirit in dealing with them.

I'll take your word on it, then. Maybe it's just my hormones getting the better of me today. Or maybe something I think is starting to make sense really isn't the case? I'm not sure. But calling out 2 separate people you call friends for owing you money publicly here on ITT doesn't seem right. I'm ready to cry because it just seems so mean and reminds me of some other mean things "friends" did in highschool. 

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Starbucks has my kind of music today. They just played Mark Knopfler. 

I like Mark Knopfler. He did the song over the credits on The Princess Bride. I've had a soft spot for him ever since.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

I'll take your word on it, then. Maybe it's just my hormones getting the better of me today. Or maybe something I think is starting to make sense really isn't the case? I'm not sure. But calling out 2 separate people you call friends for owing you money publicly here on ITT doesn't seem right. I'm ready to cry because it just seems so mean and reminds me of some other mean things "friends" did in highschool. 

Those are both jokes. It's okay. Everyone is being nice to each other. (((Servant)))

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Those are both jokes. It's okay. Everyone is being nice to each other. (((Servant)))

Really!? I think one of you should develop an ITT history crash course and demand every newcomer take said course before engaging. It can be confusing. 🤦

13 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Aww! Thank you.

Christian spirit? As in Exodus?

I wasn't trying to shame anyone. This thread has brought me a LONG way in dealing with some of the harsher circumstances in my life and I am so grateful.

4 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

No one owes me money. I was using Krissi as an example and since I used Starbucks in the example I teased Jean after she mentioned it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I like Mark Knopfler. He did the song over the credits on The Princess Bride. I've had a soft spot for him ever since.

💡 Now I know who that is! I tend to remember music and lyrics more than bands and singers.

Edited by Servant4Christ

20 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Yes.  And when we have a true issue with each other, we take it to that person privately instead of calling that person out here.  Everything we say to each other here is a joke or tongue in cheek.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Slache said:

Aww! Thank you.

Christian spirit? As in Exodus?

I wasn't trying to shame anyone. This thread has brought me a LONG way in dealing with some of the harsher circumstances in my life and I am so grateful.

No one owes me money. I was using Krissi as an example and since I used Starbucks in the example I teased Jean after she mentioned it.

Thank goodness! I was really getting upset that neither she or anyone else was defending her! And I thought she was who you were referring to as the grown child and you thought her laundry should be thrown on the ground! Pretty sure I'd pay for that ITT history crash course right about now. I told you I'm not fully functioning when I don't consume enough coffee. 🤦

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Please explain. I'm too tired to read all of Exodus.

The part where all the Jews Escape!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Probably not. But people in my generation probably know Dire Straits. He was their lead singer. 

I'm not as young as you think. 😂

• Thanks 2

DH surprised me last night and took the family out to eat. I ate a little bit of meat (small piece of fish) and everything else I had on every plate I had was green! Now, don't get excited and pat me on the back for making healthy choices. Most of it was breaded and deep fried. Mmmm

Anyway, now I don't have to plan dinner for tonight because last night's planned meal will be tonight's. Yay!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Can I go into labor now?

4 hours ago, Slache said:

Jump up and down.

My labor playlist:

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo: 

Bookie, how are you liking MFW? I've considered it many times but always decide against it because of all the DK and Usborne books. Do they just have you skip the evolutionary views/pages or is that content not in these particular titles? Oldest is the type who cannot just skip over pages. He's a read it cover to cover type. I am too.

I'm still waiting on my Amazon order to arrive. I do not have Prime. 😥

I've used MFW since my 20 year old was 6. For some reason, I haven't been too good using it with my youngest. Although, I did use the exact same K and 1st with her that I used with the oldest (I kept the manuals because I liked them).

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

Wow. Ok. Things are getting clearer now. I'm going to visit the sea for a while. I do not like this at all.

I see it's been straightened out now. I was just about to say that Krissi was just used as an example.

This is a safe place, so it was safe to use her as the example. She should have used me though, because, it probably would have been closer to the truth... 

JK! I can't afford Starbucks...😂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Renai said:

My labor playlist:

I've used MFW since my 20 year old was 6. For some reason, I haven't been too good using it with my youngest. Although, I did use the exact same K and 1st with her that I used with the oldest (I kept the manuals because I liked them).

I see it's been straightened out now. I was just about to say that Krissi was just used as an example.

This is a safe place, so it was safe to use her as the example. She should have used me though, because, it probably would have been closer to the truth... 

I missed you. You're my translator when things get confusing and what's being posted is about as clear as mud. 

Once again, I cannot multi react. I laughed at your labor playlist, hug you for the rest, and high five you on the Starbucks because I'm right there with you.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Renai said:

My labor playlist:

Oh my, Renai, I started playing the Single Ladies Pregnant one while my kids were in the room. They didn't understand, I don't think, but they have a LOT of questions about why I turned it off so fast and, "Mommy, why's your face red?" Lol! I'll save the rest for quiet time, and use my earbuds.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I missed you. You're my translator when things get confusing and what's being posted is about as clear as mud. 

Sorry I was late. I saw the direction it was going as soon as I read you were going to swim in the sea...😁

1 minute ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Oh my, Renai, I started playing the Single Ladies Pregnant one while my kids were in the room. They didn't understand, I don't think, but they have a LOT of questions about why I turned it off so fast and, "Mommy, why's your face red?" Lol! I'll save the rest for quiet time, and use my earbuds.

Ooops, uh...warning! warning!

It's been a long time since I've listened to it, so, I kinda forgot...

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I think that you don’t know our sense of humor?  No one owes anyone any money here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Back to my MFW EdPo:

The reason I asked was that were already doing world geo and cultures this year and have had no US stuff at all. Where would we start?

You could skip Exploring Countries and Cultures next year, since you're doing an equivalent this year, and start with world history. US history is covered in the last 2 years of the 4 year history cycle.

Or you could do a second year of world geo and culture (Exploring Countries and Cultures is *fun*!) and add in some Am. history free reading for gentle exposure. That way you would be doing the full 5 year family cycle.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Renai said:

Sorry I was late. I saw the direction it was going as soon as I read you were going to swim in the sea...😁

Ooops, uh...warning! warning!

It's been a long time since I've listened to it, so, I kinda forgot...

Oh my word! I started playing it and couldn't get it to turn off! So I pressed a different one (the Shakira one) thinking it would turn off the other but noooo! They were both playing simultaneously and wouldn't stop until they finished! I had to just turn the volume down to silent and let them both play through. 🤣

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Once again, I cannot multi react. I laughed at your labor playlist, hug you for the rest, and high five you on the Starbucks because I'm right there with you.

If you think the playlist is funny, now imagine a 4'11" woman carrying an almost 9 lb baby at 42 weeks moving like that...

Or at least trying too...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Renai said:

If you think the playlist is funny, now imagine a 4'11" woman carrying an almost 9 lb baby at 42 weeks moving like that...

Or at least trying too....

You tried to use that like an exercise video?! I couldn't have done it. I was doing good to walk, not waddle.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

You could skip Exploring Countries and Cultures next year, since you're doing an equivalent this year, and start with world history. US history is covered in the last 2 years of the 4 year history cycle.

Or you could do a second year of world geo and culture (Exploring Countries and Cultures is *fun*!) and add in some Am. history free reading for gentle exposure. That way you would be doing the full 5 year family cycle.

I may call them and ask some questions. Do you get to reuse everything later on with youngers and just buy new student packs?

Edited by Servant4Christ

I'm beginning to remember that the reason I bought a history curriculum last year is because when I create these beautiful lists of books and projects and such I don't want to do them.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I may call them and ask some questions. Do you get to reuse everything later on with youngers and just buy new student packs?

Yep, that's the idea. I find it very convenient. Do call them. They're very helpful.

• Like 1