Menu

Ignore this thread!

Tomorrow is the last day of August. I am not a fan of pumpkin spice, but I am a fan of shorter days and cooler weather.

And kitten rescue videos. I just spent the last hour watching kitten rescue videos. I love those. They warm my heart. And the dog rescue videos. I love it when they find a skinny, mangy dog out in the rain and by the end of the video they are fluffy and fat and sleeping on the couch with a bandana around their neck.

• Like 3

The COFFEE!!!~D is made and the timer set. I need to get up a little earlier tomorrow. Very busy week. But I think I am prepared. Lots of parent meetings on Zoom this week. I am really quite astounded that less than 6 months ago I barely knew what Zoom was and now I have 20 meetings this week. And I have gotten no formal training at all. Figured it all out on my own. Not that it’s that hard, but still....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Good morning! We are out of coffee beans so it’s iced coffee for me today. I’m not a fan but it gets the job done.

Jumping in the shower. Since the littlest one arrived this is an every-other day event. I used to be a daily showerer and honestly need to find a way to get back to that. It just feels so much better. 

DH and I stayed up until 1 am watching The Help. Dragging this morning...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

Yesterday, DH bought the stuff to make and have root beer floats with the boys after supper. What he didn't know is that not all root beer is caffeine free. Both boys were wired. Youngest was practically bouncing off the walls. So we made popcorn and let them stay up late while we watched Black Panther as a family. 

BTW: Barq's root beer has caffeine!

Yes.  We don't eat out often, so I can never remember which restaurants serve which root beer.  I always have to ask.

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Monday!!!!😩😩😩😩😩 But it is the last day of August, so it’s not quite as bad as it could be.

Busy day today. School in the morning, 4 Zoom parent meetings in the afternoon. I really prefer in-person meetings, but they aren’t allowing that at this point.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Good morning!  Time for the coffee!  Ds34 and I walked a mile, then I walked one more.  I only have two more to go.  

In person school started today for parents who want to send the kids.  It was kinda cute seeing kids waiting for busses.  My two are sleeping in a bit.

I have a lot I need to do today, as well as school.  We have lots of leftovers still, so at least I do not need to cook.

Is your dh teaching in a classroom this year?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Tomorrow is the last day of August. I am not a fan of pumpkin spice, but I am a fan of shorter days and cooler weather.

No it's not.  It can't be.   

March through June was sooooooooooo long.  But July and August seem to have flown by. 

Good Morning.  I slept pretty good last night.   I'm relaxing with my tea and I had eggs with spinach this morning.    I need to find a way to get more energy during the day.  I think I need more cold caffeine.  For some reason my tea, no matter how strong, doesn't seem to give me that much of a wake-up boost.  Iced tea does more so I may need to start drinking that a little bit.   I'm sleeping really really well so I'm hoping extra caffeine won't undo that, especially once I'm teaching all day.   As long as I have it before lunch, should be fine.   I have cold-brew iced tea bags and I actually like the taste with no sugar or anything. 

• Like 5

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

The kids are starting on their morning lessons and I just finished my coffee.  Monday is oatmeal day, which I tolerate since dh makes it and I figure it's good for you and the kids actually like it.  My favorite eggs are with tomatoes and cream cheese.  Or american cheese.  We're having an assortment of leftovers for lunch and tomato bisque for dinner.

Coffee!

• Like 3

I lost one of my pairs of glasses.  I have two good pairs - one stays by my chair at home and the other in my purse.  Purse ones are the ones I lost and the ones I use all the time for classes and stuff.   I remember putting them in the case in my purse, but when I went to get them out, they weren't there.  I checked all over my purse (it's not that big), at the science center, at home.  I don't know where else they could be or how they got lost.   Maybe in my car but dh now has my car.   I have a couple crappy drugstore readers that will do in a pinch but I want my good glasses.  😭

• Sad 5

Morning. Yesterday we had our Squashfest. I don't expect this to become a regular thing, but it was fun. Because we didn't have a fair this year, we put the big 150 lb pumpkin and various other squash on display, and grilled burgers, made a garden themed cake, and had family over for a socially distanced outdoor dinner. Fought flies the whole time, but it was still nice.

Back to the regular schedule today, and I need to look at the schedule for September, October, and November and get all the fall work scheduled. Other than that, it's raining, I'm writing, and all are well. Not a bad way to start the week, especially for a Monday.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Oldest dragged out his English lesson for 3 hours! It was a single paragraph! He had to figure out which sentences needed to be combined into one, split up a run-on into 2 complete sentences, then write the paragraph on paper. It's not like I asked him to make up and write one of his own! Grrr

Next up: Math (cue suspenseful music)

I'm laughing at the suspenseful music!  Hope math is a breeze!

4 hours ago, Spudater said:

Dh and I watched The 300 last night. I had a vague idea it might be fun for LL since we're doing ancient history. Hahaha...nope. That movie was so bizarre. Man, as much as I love LotR I am really getting tired of everyone ripping off Peter Jackson s orcs. I especially did not expect to see a bunch of Persians and ephors portrayed that way!  Yikes.

I always check Plugged In or Common Sense Media. They don't catch everything but I'm sure they caught that. John's 7yo friend suggested Deadpool so Matt and I watched it. I was mortified. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Slache said:

I always check Plugged In or Common Sense Media. They don't catch everything but I'm sure they caught that. John's 7yo friend suggested Deadpool so Matt and I watched it. I was mortified. 

Yes.  I check these and I pre-watch everything before I let my kids watch. 

ETA: I am super, super picky.  And I refuse to let my kids hear swearing as long as I have any control over it, so I mute everything.  

Edited by Junie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Aww, I appreciate the offer.  I think you probably need a nap more than I do though! lol.

I am going to cut our seatwork a bit short and just finish out history for the day. 

I love all the squash and melons critter!  Did you guys award prizes too?  Like a ribbon for the biggest watermelon or the ugliest pumpkin or something? 😁

No prizes. I did ask, and they said no. BUT--this fall there should be seeds for sale from the really big pumpkins and watermelons. I figure we'll just take what they might have won at the fair for said squash and melons and purchase some special seeds instead.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Spudater said:

The kids didn't watch it. Just us. It definitely was too R rated for them but we might have just fast forwarded with the screen blocked for certain parts if it had been good otherwise. But it was just bizarre. I expected certain liberties to be taken like is normal with historical fiction and translating it to TV plus a bit oh Hollywood-izing. But they jumped the shark and then some. Orc looking bad guys, Xerxes looked like some sort of crazy "oriental" stereotype at a g@y strip club, Spartans wore just leather undies, cloaks and helmets so they didn't have armor blocking the view or their perfect abs, they didn't fight in their phalanx in the pass which is the whole dang point but ran around the plain in front, and dialogue had this ahistorical antireligious stuff. Pretty much no redeeming value to this movie unless you're a 14 year old boy who doesn't give a crap about history and loves gore so much you want them to CGI extra in.

I love that movie.

28 minutes ago, Junie said:

Nope. Tell me. 🙂

JUNIE! They edit streaming videos! Like if you have Netflix or Amazon. It's donation based and Mormon. Swear words, blasphemy, sexual content (even to a low cut blouse) violence, gore. Even words like stupid and butt. It's amazing. And it's completely customizable so you can have stupid butts if you want. When we did The Patriot there was a list of each individual case of gore. We only edited out the ones that would be traumatic for our kids.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I love that movie.

JUNIE! They edit streaming videos! Like if you have Netflix or Amazon. It's donation based and Mormon. Swear words, blasphemy, sexual content (even to a low cut blouse) violence, gore. Even words like stupid and butt. It's amazing. And it's completely customizable so you can have stupid butts if you want. When we did The Patriot there was a list of each individual case of gore. We only edited out the ones that would be traumatic for our kids.

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Vidangel does not work with Disney.

Disney is the only streaming service we have, and only because it was gifted to us.

We have a TVGuardian, but that no longer works with most movies because Closed Captioning is not really used anymore.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paradox5 said:

I wish I was. Unfortunately, I promised some kids a Twilight movie marathon as the movies are leaving Prime at midnight.

I made Costco meatballs, Idahoan homemade mashed potatoes, and buttered seasoned broccoli for dinner. Not winning a chef’s contest tonight.

You win.  I never make homemade mashed potatoes.

Lucky for me, my kids prefer instant.

• Like 2

I may have to make real mashed potatoes this week.   It's one of the healthier foods ds eats.    Ds is extremely picky.   ASD and SPD make for some weird food aversions.  Lots to do with texture and messiness, but he also seems to be a super taster.    And some of his usual foods have gotten hard to find.

Basically his entire dinner diet:
plain cheese pizza rolls - evidently they are currently doing a "Limited Edition Recipe" that ds doesn't like.  He can taste the most minor difference in flavors.
El Monterey Chicken and Cheese taquitos - can't find them anywhere except at BJs but the big pack evidently has a slightly different recipe than the usual smaller packs and he can taste the difference.
Mashed potatoes made with cauliflower mixed in, he'll even eat these with chicken or broccoli mixed in.
frozen raviolis or spaghetti with sauce filled with vegetables, pureed and strained then shrimp in the sauce.   I made the raviolis tonight without all the veggies though.  
delivery pizza 
I think he'll still eat grilled cheese but I'm not 100% on that. 
French fries - fast food or the non-crinkle cut frozen kind baked.   He likes Olive Gardens small pizzas and french fries.  
He eats whole grain Eggo waffles with smooth peanut butter for lunch a couple times a week. 

It's not just healthy food.  He will eat one kind of candy (mini M&Ms) and two kinds of cookies - Chips Ahoy and chocolate Oreos - so he's equal opportunity picky.   He'll only eat plain chocolate ice cream and prefers soft serve but will eat hard if there's nothing else and he's in the mood.

Dinner time is when I miss dh the most when he's away.  I'm not nearly as good at it. 

• Like 3