Menu

Ignore this thread!

I like sci-fi and space opera.

I basically live in various imaginary worlds inside my head, sometimes based on other people's imaginary worlds and sometimes not.

It is surprising to me that not everyone does this, I have done it my entire life.

This does sometimes interfere with my interest in engaging fully with the real world, which is far more boring and mundane than my imaginary worlds.

• Like 6

We have a two story, but I grew up in a one story, so I'm partial to that.  Though I agree it's hard to have enough bedrooms with a one story when you have lots of kids.  

I've been hi-lighting for years because my naturally blonde hair got a lot darker when I started having kids.  But now I hi-light to cover gray, which mostly works except not as well lately.  I like to go to the beauty salon as long as it's not too busy, talkative and overstimulating.  

Reuben - I've never had one, so I will not opine.

Sci-Fi - I grew up with Star Wars and loved it when I was younger, if that counts, but generally I'm not a huge sci-fi fan.  Actually I'm not a fan of anything with a real plot or actual conflict - too stressful.  

And I will agree with others that Ikslo should paint again and I don't know how I got on a thread with so many talented, artistic ladies.  (Well, I know how.... I just barged my way in!)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, maize said:

I like sci-fi and space opera.

I basically live in various imaginary worlds inside my head, sometimes based on other people's imaginary worlds and sometimes not.

It is surprising to me that not everyone does this, I have done it my entire life.

This does sometimes interfere with my interest in engaging fully with the real world, which is far more boring and mundane than my imaginary worlds.

I do this too.   Whenever I'm bored I just continue with my latest head story. 

1 hour ago, maize said:

I don't know what a Reuben is.

Corned beef, Russian dressing (or French), sauerkraut and swiss cheese on Rye or Pumpernickel bread.  The best ones come from Jewish Delis. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

I do this too.   Whenever I'm bored I just continue with my latest head   story. 

Oh my goodness. I can’t believe other people do this, too. I never told anyone this because I thought I Was so weird.  I may be weird, but at least I’m not the only one. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

Also epic screaming parenting fail tonight. I apologized but I still feel bad for completely losing it on her.

I think a sincere apology from a parent goes a long way towards healing any damage done.

Our kids somehow have to survive having human parents.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, maize said:

I think a sincere apology from a parent goes a long way towards healing any damage done.

Our kids somehow have to survive having human parents.

And it teaches kids the art of apologizing.

And this is a “How to Make a Good Apology” Booya/h.

And a corn on the cob Booya/h!

And a When is Summer EVER Going to end Booya/h.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I think in stories and pictures. Always have. It’s Luke carrying a good book with you wherever you are.

You guys are seriously convincing me to go for Notgrass! We need easy output this year.

I know, right?  I was looking it up and I don't even have kids young enough for it!

• Like 1

EdPo:

In related news, I think I am done buying curriculum.  Well, at least buying things that I need.

I have Saxon all the way through Advanced Math.

I have Apologia all the way through Chemistry.  I just finished buying the last notebooks that I will need.

I have plenty of literature and writing resources.

I have Abeka Government and Economics, and Notgrass World History and American History.  And a homemade 20th Century America course.

I have BJU Bible through 12th grade.

And as far as I can tell, I have all of the consumable books that dd10 is going to need to finish out elementary.

Hooray!

Edited by Junie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, WendyAndMilo said:

See, I only have one so I need to try out All The Things... 😄 

Oh, I totally understand that.

If I had tried to meet everyone's quirky learning styles, I would have ended up with All.of.It.  Which I knew we couldn't afford.

Instead, I picked the things that I liked and forced everyone to adapt*.

* I did buy audiobooks for Apologia and I bought Art Reed's videos for Saxon.  That was my compromise to adapting to learning styles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Junie said:

@WendyAndMilo

So funny!

I actually have never been one to switch out curricula.  I've mostly stuck to the same thing that we have done since the beginning.  I now have two in college, so I am mostly using what I used for them.

Now I can spend my homeschooling money on all of the books that I want to read! 🙂

Junie and I are Teaching Soul Sisters.  I add in Minor new somethings every once in a while (3 or 4 years ago we started doing Writing and Rhetoric) but mostly I stick with the things that have worked and I can tweak.

Except I am spending all my curriculum money on ukuleles.  😄  (not really.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

We are good through eighth, except for some workbooks for the younger kids that we haven’t stocked up on. I’m super impressed you have it all, including the student components!!!

When I realized that Apologia was moving to new editions, I decided to just go ahead and buy the rest of what I would need.  I did have to buy some on ebay because they were already out of print.  (And I never did get the Chemistry notebooks.  By the time they get to 12th grade I make them write in a standard (and much, much cheaper!) notebook.

• Like 1

I love Taylor Swift.

I did not like the only Notgrass text we did but am contemplating the US geography for the boy to do alone. Don't lecture me.

WendyandMilo has been stalking the thread.

I've been learning a lot about lupus. Apparently I'm supposed to plan my luxurious beach vacations around my flares. I'll do that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

A little while ago, dh and I rotated our emergency food stash.  We try to make sure that we have enough food to last for three days without power.

I mean, the food isn't necessarily going to taste good, but it will keep us from starving.

canned chicken, spaghettios, poptarts, granola bars, canned fruit, baked beans... Things that can be eaten at room temperature, basically.  Some of the food I can't eat because of my wheat allergy, so I try to have some chicken broth and a few other things that I would be able to eat.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Paradox5 said:

Junie is ready for the Zombie Apocalypse. Can you come help me, please?

You have no idea...

We also have a huge stock of rice, gluten free pasta, juice, canned goods.  More than usual because of Covid.  When grocery shortages were happening, I stocked up on the shelf stable items that we use most.  The quantity limits were difficult for a while.

Our neighborhood tends to lose power for a couple of days at least once a year, either from a hurricane blowing past or from a snow storm.  We live in a rural area, so we have to make sure that we have everything that we need here.

Last fall we bought a grill -- with a burner! -- which will open up some options, but all of our indoor cooking is electric.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I need storage space like Junie.

We have an unfinished basement -- which is a project for another weekend.  Currently, we have storage boxes of food sitting in a corner of the living room.  No one's coming over, though, so ... there you have it.

If one of the kids can't find something in the pantry, I send them to the living room to look there. :)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Been looking at houses. People do some dumb design choices.

I do not understand. I know we all have different styles but dedicating 1,000 swft to hallways? A bathroom you can't even get into to?

I take two factors into account. Efficiency and ability to navigate in a bad position, like lugging laundry from floor to floor or if I'll be able to get into my bedroom after an injury.

8 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I changed a massive blowout poop half an hour ago, then as soon as I got her dressed she makes another   now we are working on poop number 3. 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩

Chick's got skills.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Oh gosh. I hope Liz and Carol and others that aren't on ITT but from chat are all okay. And even if it's not local-local to where your house is in the immediate path it's still stressful. Hugs. 

I think they live in other parts of the state, but there are fires everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Morning.  Dh is tearing out the wall around the furnace in our kitchen right now.  He already took some cabinets off the wall and the mounted microwave is no longer mounted.    Our new furnace (which will likely be the mini-split system actually) is leading to a whole new kitchen, removing windows, moving around appliances, and all new cabinets and countertops.  

Then next year will probably be new windows, new siding, and who knows what else.  

I'm happy about some of it.  My washer/dryer will no longer be blocking things and we'll have more storage when all is said and done.   He wants to do it all on a cash basis so that may lead to some interesting choices.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2