Menu

Ignore this thread!

Morning.  Happy Labor Day.   I've been unsure of what day it is since Friday.   I think because dh was home?   All I know is I thought Saturday was Friday (and think I deleted a business post off a local homeschool group that only allows them on weekends), then yesterday thought it was Saturday.   I think I finally have it down today.

Classes start 1 week from today.   Things are pretty well set up but I do need to finalize a few class plans.  Mostly for brand new classes.  Shouldn't have a problem getting all that done this week. 

We are planning a day at the lake tomorrow.  I refuse to go on a holiday/weekend because these people do not distance, do not mask, and there will be too many of them on a holiday weekend.  Dh may take the kids and fish for a while.  I'm going tomorrow with some friends.   

• Like 3

Good Morning!

Happy Monday!

I'm hoping to accomplish several projects today.

Dd16 and dd14 will have light school.  Some of their subjects work better if they have 5 consecutive days to work.

Dd12 and dd10 were given two choices: homeschool or clean up the craft area.  Thankfully, they chose the craft area.  It is a mess.

ETA: It's a Monday Mornin' Booyah!

Edited by Junie
  • Like 4

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!L~D

LaBor Day!!! We got to sleep in, but just as I was pouring my COFFEE!!!~D I heard the green waste truck coming up the cup-de-sac. What the heck.?? It’s a holiday!! I ran outside in my bathrobe and barely got the green waste out in time. The guys In the truck were Probably laughing their heads off.

We’re going to the beach today. It’s too hot and smoky to do anything else.

• Like 3

We are situated so as to be last for all trucks, so I get a little warning. We don't have municipal green waste pick-up, though--I have to pay a private company.

Life's questions today are not that fun. Does that weird noise mean something is wrong with the (15yo) washer? Do I pay $25 effectively just to stay on an email list of a group that isn't meeting? Why does it smell like smoke outside?

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Good morning! Lynn, I don't know how I quoted you, but you are always worth quoting, so hello!

Nothing at all planned for today. It's gray and cloudy and rainy. It feels like autumn is tucking a dreary blanket in around us. It's rather wonderful.

We had a thunderstorm last night, which apparently scared Reader. When I got up this morning, she told me a story about coming into our room in the middle of the night and telling me she was afraid, so I scootched over and pulled her into bed with me and held her until she wasn't afraid anymore and went off back to bed. You guys, I have no memory of this at all. I feel so bad that I was still asleep for this thing that comforted her so much.

I know knackered! But I'm also a bit of an anglophile. Or I was, when I had more brain cells to devote to my own interests, lol.

We should hear about a closing date for the house this week! Happy dance!

Have a most excellent day, my friends.

Don’t feel badly. God allowed you to multitask sleep and comfort. That’s some skillz!  

• Like 6

We have lots of bears, a few coyotes, no wolves, bobcats and foxes, snakes (but few poisonous).

We cleaned off the shelves in our laundry nook/pantry in preparation for moving the washer and dryer when the longer hoses and cord come in.   Dh had to admit that we may just be slight packrats, if not inching into hoarding territory.    We had bottles of rubbing alcohol with 2015 dates on them, a few things we had no idea what they were from, and a bag of vacuum cleaner parts from 3 vacuums ago.  

• Like 3

I worked for a groomer and we lost a lot of dogs to coyotes. As an individual coyotes don't scare me, but as a mom? Totally different story.

As a groomer I also learned that a certain part of town caused cancer. We never figured out why, but literally every dog on that street died of cancer. Young.

• Sad 4

26 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

One of our dogs took on a pack of three coyotes that approached my oldest in the pasture while feeding the horses one evening and our dog ended up wounding one so bad it died. Our dog had nary a scratch that we could see, but he's so hairy it was hard to tell. I called the vet right after it happened and she had me bring him in for a once over and gave him some boosters of a couple things just in case (he's some sort of collie mix that's built like a tank). She was shocked that even at his size (around 80 lbs) he didn't end up getting torn to bits with their being three. I hadn't realized before that that even big dogs were often taken down by coyotes. Some of the ones around here are bigger than our Doberman, but I would still think wolves would be even worse. 

That's sad about the cancer stuff- I wonder if that neighborhood was built on a dumping site. When I was growing up there was a huge scandal with a neighborhood in SE Houston that ended up being an EPA Superfund site-now known as Brio site. So many people in the neighborhood got cancer, or women had miscarriage and babies with birth defects, and all sorts of stuff from what was dumped there before they built on it, the EPA finally had to come in and they tore down and fenced off the entire area. Some of my teachers lived there and had to move out- they left it there like a ghost town for a long time before it was torn down. What is insane to me is there are all of these newish neighborhoods built right around it. I don't know how anyone would want to live there, but I guess since it was the 80s when it happened people don't know and don't wonder about the giant plot of acreage with prison like fencing around it? I would never trust that that amount of ground could be decontaminated. 

I never understood why the family from Old Yeller did not have a dog before that! I feel like all farmers should have like four to protect their children. There was a creek behind the houses. We all think it was the creek, but have no evidence. The really sad thing is we knew humans that lived on it, obviously, and long-term they always got cancer. MIL is one. Both her and her mom have had it, as well as as her dogs growing up. One woman's 3 kids all had it, and she eventually died from it. The dogs were so apparent though. The people can live there for 40 years before they developed cancer, the dogs can only make it about five before they died.

• Sad 3

We have a lot of white tailed deer but yeah, except for traffic and ticks, they aren't really a problem.   We have a bunch that bed down on our property at night. 

We have black bears.  We have a couple that come on our property.  I have video from my Ring about two weeks ago that shows a bear walking up to the fence (our Ring is on our fence), looking around a little bit, then turning around and going away.    We don't get as many since we fenced in the flat part of our yard for the dog.  We're in a pretty rural area and on a river so the bears would come across the river from a county park and up our property.   I usually don't feel in danger, but cleaning up the garbage after they get into it is a pain.    I was going out to my car one day, we have a garage out at the street and the driveway is next to it.  As I got closer, I could see that the garbage can that was in front of the garage had gotten knocked over.  I could hear someone yelling but didn't think anything of it.  I went around the front of the garage and there was a bear right there as I came around the corner.  THAT scared the crap out of me.  I shrieked and ran to the car (even though you're not supposed to run), but evidently I scared the bear because it jumped up a telephone pole.  

We also get hawks, eagles, and a ton of other birds including flocks of turkeys.   Raccoons, opossum, fox, bobcats. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Deer won't attack you but they cause traffic accidents. That's how my aunt died. An oncoming car hit one and it bounced through her windshield.

Bears I think it depends on the kind. There's a ton where my Dad lives but they just act like overgrown raccoons

Mountain lions are the scariest thing here. They'll stalk you

Deer will totally attack. They kill by kicking and it's very painful.

I've been around a grizzly and several black bears. They're just like teenagers. They grunt and move on.

I have me experience with mountain lions. My grandpa had one as a pet. I was like 8 when I realized that was unusual.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Are you allowed to shoot bears there? Like if they are threatening your family or animals, or is it still a big nope, you just have to deal with them? 

You really need to write a book. 

None of it's very interesting. I just worked in nature a lot in my late teens and early twenties. Mostly they looked at me and walked away.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Are you allowed to shoot bears there? Like if they are threatening your family or animals, or is it still a big nope, you just have to deal with them? 

I'm pretty sure you can't except when they have state-wide bear hunts, and then I think you only can on state land.   But guns aren't that big of a thing here in NJ.   For the most part the bears aren't really dangerous unless you do something stupid like crawl into a den where you know they've been sleeping in Spring, or corner them, or try to pet cubs.    We have air horns that we use to scare them away although we've considered getting bb guns for the really stubborn ones.  

16 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Humans?! I've never heard of this. I've only ever seen them run when humans are around. They are a huge nuisance to the residents here with fruit trees and all the local farmers. 

Yes. Especially if over populated. My dad rescued a woman that was attacked and my uncle had a story about a guy killed.

11 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Slachie has one of the most unusual and wildly interesting backgrounds of anyone I know. Very entertaining. Pass the popcorn, please!

It comes from living so many places, and possibly being not very smart.

On 9/6/2020 at 11:43 AM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Do you have any recommendations for non-annoying board games?

Since you mentioned enjoying chess, I'll recommend Quarto. There is also a smaller travel Quarto. It is a two player game that we enjoyed at home; it is also a game that my husband (who tutors math) likes to play with his students as it encourages logical thinking.

"Each piece has four attributes – color, height, shape, and consistency – so each piece is either dark or light, tall or short, square or round, and hollow or solid. The object is to place the fourth piece in a row so that all four pieces have at least one attribute in common. The twist is that your opponent gets to choose the piece you place on the board each turn.

(The game is wooden which I find attractive.)

Another game you might like is Pente where the goal is to place five stones in a row while your opponent is trying to do likewise. Do you have access to thrift stores? I often see the classic 1980s tube two player version at such stores. A more recent boxed Deluxe version, for two to four players, is also available.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Is Pente similar to a wooden game board called Wahoo or Yahoo (I can't remember which)? I had totally forgotten about it but I think my mom has that game stored back from my grandmother. My grandpa made the board. I just vaguely remember the little divets for the marbles and the cross shape. 

I don't believe so. 

Here's a link to see Pente. Scroll down. (We played with a Go set in the seventies which pre-dated the Pente game.)

Here's a link to Pente Deluxe.

Regards,

Kareni

I cleaned the kitchen, organized the linen closet, delt with a pile of paperwork that has been around for nearly a month including a $2,000 ambulance bill I'm trying to get out of, cooked dinner, folded 6 loads of laundry...

I have so much to do, school's supposed to start in 2 weeks, and a certain individual has been hooing and hawing all day because they don't want to do anything and for some reason tasks as simple as putting towels away are worthy of an argument.

It's a do you want to sleep on the couch booya!

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Can anyone recommend a good, gentle face moisturizer?   My skin has felt really dry lately even though I don't go in sun and drink tons of water.   I did buy some BB cream that I'll probably use when I'm teaching, but I think I need a good cream to put on at night or just when I'm home.  Not too $$$.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Can anyone recommend a good, gentle face moisturizer?   My skin has felt really dry lately even though I don't go in sun and drink tons of water.   I did buy some BB cream that I'll probably use when I'm teaching, but I think I need a good cream to put on at night or just when I'm home.  Not too $$$.

Honey or MCT. #allergictoeverything

2 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Yeah, for some reason I always think a certain someone's days off will be a chance for me to catch up while he plays with kids, but apparently no.

We should go out and eat cake without them.

Yes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

The all-volunteer acorn squash brigade betting ready to be stuffed 🙂

I ended up with two big plants on the edge of my mulch pile and of course they did better than anything I intentionally planted 🙄

6D827A55-5581-43C5-8F62-7D28BB34F5DB.jpeg.138a4ed3ccb2cf82ca3228fc2d609517.jpeg

Using this recipe with some added chopped chicken and spinach subbed in for kale, since that’s what I have on hand. It always turns out fantastic.

https://www.wellplated.com/stuffed-butternut-squash/

Looks and sounds delicious!  I love acorn squash!

24 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I'm not sure where your $$$ lines are, so I will just throw this out there. I am a huge fan of Drunk Elephant's Lala Retro cream- it's one of the few that doesn't junk my pores up. That being said it has crept up to $60, however $60 isn't like Le Mer pricey, so it depends on how many $ in a $$$, lol. 

https://www.drunkelephant.com/collections/moisturizers/products/lala-retro-whipped-cream-with-ceramides

I also like Shiseido and alternate it with the DE, but it's more than the DE so probalby not a good suggestion. This is totally going beyond your question, but I'm just going to throw out there that this product by them that is sheer witchery magic. But it's not a cream. It's a potion. https://www.shiseido.com/us/en/ultimune-power-infusing-concentrate-9990000000163.html

I have been on here too long that MCT only means Michael Clay Thompson, which is clearly not the context, so I have to ask what MCT is in regard to faces. 

Coconut oil.

Everybody is up, although it wasn't easy for the kids.  We need to get much much stricter on bedtimes since classes start Monday.

We're spending today at the lake with friends.   I have to figure out what to bring for lunch for ds who doesn't eat anything that isn't cooked or at least warm.   I tried to get suggestions from him but he was still too asleep to respond.   He may be stuck with cheese slices and pretzels. 

• Like 3