Menu

What's with the ads?

26 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Am I done yet? Is it at least close to bedtime?

I just woke up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Well I'm functional again and practiced my orchestra music and made whole wheat sausage cheese muffins for me (I keep them in the freezer for a quick meal-on-the-go).  Kids are having chicken patty sandwiches for lunch.

Oh, and Way To Go all you last minute quartet Christmas music purchasing procrastinators!!  I've now earned enough to buy myself a replacement music stand light.  Though I can't get both that AND the McDonald's ice cream cones, so we'll have to set some priorities. 

Ice cream wins.  Duh. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Ice cream wins.  Duh. 

Not for me. I rarely eat ice cream. 1-2 times a year and I'm all set til next year.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

I am sooo sticking my tongue out at you.

When my kids do that I lean in so they accidentally lick my cheek.

You've been warned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I had a strange problem yesterday. This is what I told a friend: I'm doing a presentation for the online mom conference again (January), putting in a speaking proposal for the NMAEYC (March), and the state homeschool conference (June). I'm also writing the brand book, the family language course, and a workbook for the course. I have so many words in my head, I can barely communicate verbally anymore.

This can't be normal. Is this normal?

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Renai said:

I had a strange problem yesterday. This is what I told a friend: I'm doing a presentation for the online mom conference again (January), putting in a speaking proposal for the NMAEYC (March), and the state homeschool conference (June). I'm also writing the brand book, the family language course, and a workbook for the course. I have so many words in my head, I can barely communicate verbally anymore.

Yes.

There are times when I've been wording so much that my worder is broken. If I need to communicate, I end up resorting to a lot of flailing hand gestures and the most basic language...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Yes.

There are times when I've been wording so much that my worder is broken. If I need to communicate, I end up resorting to a lot of flailing hand gestures and the most basic language...

Thank goodness this is normal. I was beginning to worry...

That must have been what I looked like yesterday when I was trying to express my opinion on a couple of things at a playdate. Thankfully, the people I was with know me, and probably chalked it up to an off day. Hopefully. 

Edited by Renai
  • Like 3

Random maize family trivia: I have relatives within one generation of myself born in fourteen different countries.

That's my aunts and uncles, my own and dh's siblings and their spouses, and our nieces and nephews and their spouses.

We have family gathering this week for a nephew's wedding and I was just thinking about what an odd family we are.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Renai said:

Totally normal.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, maize said:

Random maize family trivia: I have relatives within one generation of myself born in fourteen different countries.

That's my aunts and uncles, my own and dh's siblings and their spouses, and our nieces and nephews and their spouses.

We have family gathering this week for a nephew's wedding and I was just thinking about what an odd family we are.

That is sooo COOL! I want a cool family like that and some serious sky miles to visit them all!

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Renai said:

Oh, yes. Completely. I also struggle with what I refer to as exhaustion induced delayed nominal recall. It's why you want the thing in the cold box across the house instead of a drink from the fridge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

We did school and piano lessons and I made beef stew. I went to the OB, and she is definitely pro induction. I'll know next week what the availability is (as far as dates), and we'll decide if we're going to proceed with the induction or not. I'm 39 weeks on December 5, and my birthday is December 9. I can't decide if it would be cool to share a birthday or not! Lol. Honestly, I feel like labor is imminent, anyway, so Cheeto might make all the preceding moo like a cow's opinion. Points for guessing the reference.

Paradox, still praying.

Dinner, clean up, and kids' church yet to go before I can have a bath with my book and pretend to sleep tonight. 

What are you guys reading?

• Like 5

Thank you for all the prayers. I could feel the love and peace. You are all wonderful.

So meeting went fine. Scotsman came. There was no way I could have conveyed everything to him. As he said, it was a very dense conversation. We let them do all the talking. Nothing was surprising. The official diagnosis is --- Mild to Moderate Autism. Exactly what we already knew but now have an 'expert' opinion. Everything he does, every weakness, quirk, what-have-you is wrapped into that. I haven't read everything yet but below is a breakdown.

His academics came out at average. Tester lady said she thinks it was low because he wanted to be done so would just stop. Really? MAYBE you shouldn't have pushed him past his limit like I told you not to! Math was low when compared to other 15 year olds. Since he isn't doing 8th grade math, I'm not concerned. Saxon 76 is working fine. She said he struggled with multi-step word problems. She also said he would not use scrap paper but wanted to do everything in his head. I'm like "Yep.". Auditory processing is a bit low, too. Language skills were excellent, though. He did not do well with one test that required listening to a voice but a different one where he read similar information he did great! Can we say not an auditory learner? Oh yes, yes we can. Like I said, nothing I didn't already know and have adapted for. I think she was frustrated with him.

Social things are typical for autisum. Even his own skill assesment thing came out the same as the parent/teacher. They were rather impressed by how consistant everything was. I'm not sure why. I told them the truth to begin with. 

ARD is 11 Dec.

ADDING: Anyone have some suggestions for book titles for The Girl to read to understand better? 

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 13

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

Oh, yes. Completely. I also struggle with what I refer to as exhaustion induced delayed nominal recall. It's why you want the thing in the cold box across the house instead of a drink from the fridge.

EXACTLY THIS! I knew it couldn't just be me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

That is sooo COOL! I want a cool family like that and some serious sky miles to visit them all!

Yeah the visiting thing gets seriously problematic.

I haven't even made it down to Florida to visit my parents in something like five years. They fortunately have been able to come visit me--easier for two people to fly than nine!

We very rarely get everyone on the same continent.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Slache said:

I have this too!

• Like 2

MedPo:

I don't have diabetes and do not have to regularly check my blood sugar level but since I've been so sluggish I did this morning and it was 101. I know this isn't bad, but I was surprised because I typically run about 85-90 first thing in the morning. I went to bed early last night (like 8:30ish) so no late night drinks or snacks to account for it. Weird.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Thank you for allt he prayers. I could feel the love and peace. You are all wonderful.

So meeting went fine. Scotsman came. There was no way I could have conveyed everything to him. As he said, it was a very dense conversation. We let them do all the talking. Nothing was surprising. The official diagnosis is --- Mild to Moderate Autism. Exactly what we already knew but now have an 'expert' opinion. Everything he does, every weakness, quirk, what-have-you is wrapped into that. I haven't read everything yet but below is a breakdown.

His academics came out at average. Tester lady said she thinks it was low because he wanted to be done so would just stop. Really? MAYBE you shouldn't have pushed him past his limit like I told you not to! Math was low when compared to other 15 year olds. Since he isn't doing 8th grade math, I'm not concerned. Saxon 76 is working fine. She said he struggled with multi-step word problems. She also said he would not use scrap paper but wanted to do everything in his head. I'm like "Yep.". Auditory processing is a bit low, too. Language skills were excellent, though. He did not do well with one test that required listening to a voice but a different one where he read similar information he did great! Can we say not an auditory learner? Oh yes, yes we can. Like I said, nothing I didn't already know and have adapted for. I think she was frustrated with him.

Social things are typical for autisum. Even his own skill assesment thing came out the same as the parent/teacher. They were rather impressed by how consistant everything was. I'm not sure why. I told them the truth to begin with. 

ARD is 11 Dec.

Thank You, Jesus! I'm so glad it went well and validated so much of what you already knew and tried to communicate to them. Are you concerned about the ARD meeting? Did today's meeting allay your fears? I'll keep praying peace and direction over your family until after the next meeting.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Your ability to recall nouns is very different than your ability to recall adjectives or verbs. It uses a different part of the brain and that part of the brain gets tired faster. This is why we describe things without nouns at the end of the day. It sounds like Renai is struggling with something else, like the overuse of words has resulted in verbal exhaustion, but I would argue it's the same concept and caused by the same thing.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I learned about this studying brain damage and nominal aphasia. Aphasia is different than recall, but the explanation of what caused the aphasia led me to be able to make sense of my own experience.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

What are you guys reading?

A pic I took of Oldest's writing masterpiece that I wanted to frame because it's the first time he's written something totally on his own from start to finish. He asked if he could take it to a friend's house to show off and I didn't have the heart to say no, but I don't know if it will return or not. 😭

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

The other thing that happened yesterday was I completely forgot how to say "one" in Mandarin. See, I was talking to one of the playdate dads who is French. We talk language a lot (his daughter is bilingual, too). I told the kids they had 5 minutes left in English, Spanish, Mandarin and German, and asked him how to say it in French. Got it!

I don't remember why I wanted to recall "one" in Mandarin, but I couldn't do it, and could only recall it in Japanese, which I haven't spoken consistently for years.

Oh! I was telling the dad that counting was similar in Hindi and Nepalese, as well as Japanese. Then I couldn't remember one in Mandarin. It was all quite strange. I finally remembered it (actually, one AND two escaped my brain. It happens that three shares the same word as Japanese) 20 minutes later while driving down the street as I asked Gymnast what it was.

I'm telling you, strange. I still don't want to talk much. I'm glad my Spanish classes are done until first week of December (today was the last day), and very happy the ESL classes are scripted. I can't anymore.

• Like 5

Books:
MacArthur's Ephesians study with hubby
The 5AM Club
Run Like a Mother
Basic Theology (Ryrie)

Up next: undecided with hubby, Gut, Psychopath Free and The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah

Generally working through Spark Joy as my body allows and the Boundaries Workbook as my emotions allow.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Not for me. I rarely eat ice cream. 1-2 times a year and I'm all set til next year.

Yay!  More for the rest of us!

1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

I took an exercise class today.  For seniors!!  Those guys are extreme!  It was fun, though.  My legs are shaky now.

Hardcore seniors!

Did I tell you about that PBS yoga series I tried to do for a while?  It was So. Hard!  And then I realized it was yoga for the elderly.  :blush: :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Reading:

ITT everyday

the Sea some days

any book Captain brings me over and over

family scriptures at night

I rented Dora the Explorer the Movie. It was so funny and cringy. The kids were rolling laughing. I also like the LEGO Ninjago series and RWBY. What does this say about me?

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I had yours earlier on my chocolate brownie. It was cherry chocolate chip. You’re welcome.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Honestly, I feel like labor is imminent, anyway, so Cheeto might make all the preceding moo like a cow's opinion. Points for guessing the reference.

Friends!

I would be against laboring on my birthday. Having DS's birthday close after mine means I can easily figure out how old I am, so that's nice. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

The Girl has made a lesson plan book for Captain. She made a curriculum list, weekly lesson plan, and reward system. Think she’s going to homeschool her kids? She says, “YES!”

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, maize said:

That is amazing!

• Like 5

Currently reading:

Paradise Lost

Les Miserables

Mansfield Park

The Bible (Malachi, at the moment)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Junie said:

I am thinking that Cheeto is probably larger than a cheeto by now...

When I was first pregnant I had a subchorianic hemorrhage. It was so severe that the lady who did my first ultrasound privately thought the next time she saw me, it would be to confirm a miscarriage. I had three ultrasounds in a row, and the last one, where they finally told me he was viable and gave me a due date, he looked like a Cheeto shaped blob in the picture. He's been Baby Cheeto to me ever since, my little miracle fighter. 💞💞💞

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

4 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

When I was first pregnant I had a subchorianic hemorrhage. It was so severe that the lady who did my first ultrasound privately thought the next time she saw me, it would be to confirm a miscarriage. I had three ultrasounds in a row, and the last one, where they finally told me he was viable and gave me a due date, he looked like a Cheeto shaped blob in the picture. He's been Baby Cheeto to me ever since, my little miracle fighter. 💞💞💞

How big is he now?

• Like 3

I'm reading a strange middle grade fantasy book I can't remember the name of, Lies Women Believe and the Truth That Sets Them Free, A Wrinkle in Time, and Long Days of Small Things. Oh, and Serafina and the Black Cloak. I'm also listening to a book called Call Your Daughters Home.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Reading:

ITT everyday

the Sea some days

any book Captain brings me over and over

family scriptures at night

I rented Dora the Explorer the Movie. It was so funny and cringy. The kids were rolling laughing. I also like the LEGO Ninjago series and RWBY. What does this say about me?

The new Dora movie was the incentive I offered my kids to get them to write essays last week.

They love Ninjago. 

What is RWBY?

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Junie said:

I am thinking that Cheeto is probably larger than a cheeto by now...

Either that or Cheeto is going to turn out to be Stuart Little.

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Friends!

I would be against laboring on my birthday. Having DS's birthday close after mine means I can easily figure out how old I am, so that's nice. 🙂

A squillion points to whitehawk!

• Thanks 2

Just now, ThatBookwormMom said:

They're guessing about 8 lbs right now. He'll likely be 9 or 10 lbs by the time he's born.

Have your others been that big?

Littlest kernel weighed in at about ten and a half pounds.

Dd11 was my smallest, only 7.1 lb. Easiest birth by far.

• Like 3

Just now, maize said:

Have your others been that big?

Littlest kernel weighed in at about ten and a half pounds.

Dd11 was my smallest, only 7.1 lb. Easiest birth by far.

Yeah, 9-10 is pretty average for us. Reader was 8.8, Runner 9.8, SuperDude 10.6, and Squishy 9.9. My doc wants to try to avoid super big this time, because my last 2 deliveries were a little complicated. That's why she's so gung ho about inducing. I still feel like he's coming on his own next week, so we'll see.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Junie said:

Currently reading:

Paradise Lost

Les Miserables

Mansfield Park

The Bible (Malachi, at the moment)

Impressive!

I don't read much these days, mostly listen to audiobooks while cleaning/doing laundry/driving. Currently listening to The Elfstones of Shannara.

And I've been watching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade while running/walking on the treadmill, dubbed in French cause that way I can give myself brownie points for language practice 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, maize said:

The new Dora movie was the incentive I offered my kids to get them to write essays last week.

They love Ninjago. 

What is RWBY?

RWBY is an anime series in Amazon. Uni Boy got us all hooked on it before he left.

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, maize said:

Impressive!

I don't read much these days, mostly listen to audiobooks while cleaning/doing laundry/driving. Currently listening to The Elfstones of Shannara.

And I've been watching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade while running/walking on the treadmill, dubbed in French cause that way I can give myself brownie points for language practice 😂

I love the Shannara books! I bought Quiet Boy the trilogy while Scotsman was gone. He read the entire thing before Scotsman got home.

LOVE Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade! Haven’t seen it in French, though. I’ve seen the original Conan the Barbarian in like 4 languages! English, French, German, and Dutch. 

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Junie said:

How big is he now?

He's nearly a full grown "ready to breathe outside the womb" infant complete with snuggling, crying, nursing, and diaper messing! Oh, and occasional sleeping if you're lucky! 😂

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Books:
MacArthur's Ephesians study with hubby
The 5AM Club
Run Like a Mother
Basic Theology (Ryrie)

Up next: undecided with hubby, Gut, Psychopath Free and The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah

Generally working through Spark Joy as my body allows and the Boundaries Workbook as my emotions allow.

How is Run Like a Mother.  Is it good?  Is it safe to run if I'm fat?  (Wish I was asking for a friend, but I'm not!)  😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’m tired. Tomorrow Is going to be early and busy. Scotsman volunteered me to make a lot of biscuits for his work’s annual Holiday potluck that starts at 11. Dentist appointments for the rest of us start at 1. 
So I have to get up at 8 to make 2 batches of biscuits, drop them off then drive across Houston for the dentist and go to The Homeschool Store. I’m not making dinner tomorrow night.

ADDING: Quiet Boy’s BJU stuff is scheduled to be delivered, too. All 27 lbs of books!

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 5