Menu

Ignore this thread!

I slept through Family Movie Night. It was Planes:Fire and Rescue.

EdPo:

Today we made a grow hut for science. Imagine we will grow some herbs in it. I have to say Apologia’s Botany is really good. We found a bunch of non-vascular plants in our backyard yesterday, too. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Texan- I'm sorry you are sick. Hope you feel better soon.

I wasted a couple hours looking over house plans in a neighborhood Scotsman and I are considering for next year. I'm not sure if the builder I picked will still be building, though. Lots of the others were saying "Last Chance". Anyway>>> my real decision is between a 1 or 2 story. I'm conflicted. I hate stairs but a 2-story makes it much easier to get the number of bedrooms/baths we feel we need. As this will our Forever Home, I want to be sure it is a Forever Home as we age, too. What would you choose?

I would choose a 2-story with master bedroom downstairs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I would choose a 2-story with master bedroom downstairs.

Same. I knew an elderly couple who had rooms upstairs for when the kids visited and they didn't even go up there because they were so old. The kids just showed up with an hour to make beds, dust and vacuum before bed. The parents hadn't been up there in years. Washer and dryer need to be on the main floor, too. Minimal required steps inside and out. You can have a 3rd story, as long as you don't have to go up there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

Texan- I'm sorry you are sick. Hope you feel better soon.

I wasted a couple hours looking over house plans in a neighborhood Scotsman and I are considering for next year. I'm not sure if the builder I picked will still be building, though. Lots of the others were saying "Last Chance". Anyway>>> my real decision is between a 1 or 2 story. I'm conflicted. I hate stairs but a 2-story makes it much easier to get the number of bedrooms/baths we feel we need. As this will our Forever Home, I want to be sure it is a Forever Home as we age, too. What would you choose?

Is there a reason that this has to be a forever home?

My mom is selling her house because she no longer has a need for 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms.

And I'm pretty sure that the home I live in now will not be a forever home.  I will need a one story because of my arthritis, but a one-story home with enough bedrooms for 6 kids is pretty much impossible to find.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

(((Bookie))) Praying for you.

I keep forgetting how old Cheeto is.  I have to keep looking in your signature.

When you said he was sitting up, I didn't even have a ballpark age in mind.  One of mine sat up at four months and another didn't sit up until 12, so I don't even know how old babies are supposed to be when they sit up.

• Like 1

Good morning!

I woke up worrying about ds8's baptism--not the baptism itself, but keeping our elderly family members safe. Dh's dad and my great aunt and uncle are attending. Otherwise it is just my family and one church leadership representative. 

I was thinking of how to get into the rooms we will be using ahead of time to open all the windows--mostly because we won't be the first people in the church today, there are several baptisms happening with careful scheduling to keep groups separate. We will all be wearing masks and being careful but I want the windows open as well.

I do not want to in any way risk the health of these family members.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Morning.  Got up early to meet dd for some yoga. Then ran to Panera for breakfast since I'm doing a bunch of work at the science center then running to the storage unit to do some reorganizing there.    Dh is meeting with the mini-split guys today.  

I've seen most of Firefly, don't think I've ever seen Serenity but plan to rewatch all of them at some point.

I've seen various Star Trek's but don't know which ones I've seen all of.  Probably none except the original, although dh was watching Picard recently and I mostly watched.  I think he's watching Discovery now?  The newest one?   I have seen most or all of the movies.  

I've seen bits and pieces of various Stargates, including the original movie.  Maybe the entire first one?  But I'm not sure there either.  

Never saw Breaking Bad, but loved Malcolm in the Middle and probably saw all of that. 

• Like 2

It’s been a long time since I produced any artwork, but my mom recently sent me a pic of her wall (new husband’s house) where she hung one of my paintings so I’m going to share. It was one I did in college.  I had forgotten all about this painting! I absolutely loved this model’s hands.  

76FD0597-FBAE-4722-8AF7-6DDFDF35D17F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

17 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I dislike Reubens as I don't like rye, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese or corned beef, so that pretty much eliminates those as an option. 

Yeah, I think they're up there just past 7-layer dips in the category "Pile of Things I Won't Eat," so I've never had one.

Kitty has become very suspicious of devices now that she's seen there can be a mousie in my phone.

Tin of cookies was a hit with the anniversary couple.

• Like 3

Good Morning!!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Saturday!!!!

I slept 10 hours last night. I knew I was tired.

Heat wave and fires this weekend. Welcome to he11.....er.....California.

I have no idea what I am going to do this weekend. Probably do some grocery shopping. Maybe decorate for fall, even though it’s going to be 110 degrees on Monday. I have a little project I started for DD1 and I didn’t have enough ribbon to finish it, but I got some extra, so I’m going to do that today.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

It’s beautiful! I love figure painting, even though I suck at it compared to landscapes. And hands are very difficult to get right so hats off to you!

Hands were always my favorite thing to draw.  I would spend hours creating hands out of shading (no outlines!).  Probably because my hands were always with me.  I got bored in school sometimes.

• Like 1

Re. one or two story houses.  Despite regularly falling down the stairs once or twice a year, I refuse to move to a one story house.  It's "use it or lose it" for those muscles for me and I prefer not to lose it.  In fact, the whole PT thing is about keeping me from falling down the stairs.  That and turning into Xena Warrior Princess.  😉

Whitehawk. despite not living in the Southeast, it's still Man vs. Wild here.  Or Woman vs. Wild.  As well as Woman vs. Body.  There is a reason I use the word "tackle" in my tackle threads.  It's WWE around here! 

• Like 4

I love, love, love having a one story.  I’ve always lived in houses with stairs.  My hip is so much happier now.  And I try to use stairs when I go places with them, like hotels and office buildings and what not, just to use those muscles.  But oh do I love my one story.  Both DH and I agreed we wanted one story to grow old in, with low ceilings, because no old person needs to be trying to clean cobwebs from a two story foyer, or changing light bulbs way up there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I'm surprised they didn't find a way to hold the baptisms outside in a pool or local pond. Much easier to social distance.

That would have been very sensible!

Problem-solving booyah.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

I like Reubens, have grey hair, can't paint or draw at all, and think Matt needs a smack in the head.

I don't have Reubens often.  It's like gyros, one of those things you only have when someone else is doing all the work.  

My mother is the only person who says anything about my gray hair.  I don't care.  I am considering dying half my hair (the under half) purple or pink.  I have (mostly) brown hair and I don't want to bleach it so it won't be bright but I think it will look neat.  

Oh, now I remember the other thing I wanted to reply to - we have a one story house.   I've lived here the entire 16 years I've been married to dh, he's been here 22 years.    It's basically our age-in-place home at this point.   I've only lived in places with stairs twice times my whole life.  I grew up in first floor apartments and lived in mostly small houses. 

• Like 4

My current plan is to never dye my hair.  I won't say never, but it's likely that I never will.  Considering I try to keep my hair as natural as possible (I've had my hair trimmed once since becoming a mom), it's a pretty good bet that I won't dye it.

Right now my hair is brown with natural silver highlights. 😉 

• Like 4

I went to the consignment sale just to look around and ended up buying things.  Some of which were actually on my list.  It was 75% off day! 2 pr jeans, tan trousers, 2 pr yoga pants (for pjs), a gray wool skirt, a dress, a long skirt/sweater, white blouse, 2 black blouses/tops, gray cardigan, brown sweater, fall coat, and several hat/scarf sets for me and the girls.  $40.  The Coat has a missing button, but I don't like the buttons anyway and for an otherwise perfect condition $1.25 coat, I'm happy to replace buttons!

• Like 4

One more thing on grey hair (or in my case pure white) - I'm not making any kind of statement or anything.  I just can't handle a lot of chemicals in, on or around me so dying hair was not really an option.  That and cost.  Though if I really wanted to, I'm sure that I could swing the cost by cutting back in other things.  But really, the chemicals is the big why for me personally.  Obviously I don't expect others to have that same limitation and don't really notice those kinds of things on other people.  As long as someone has washed and combed their hair and have a smile on their face, I think that they look nice. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

One more thing on grey hair (or in my case pure white) - I'm not making any kind of statement or anything.  I just can't handle a lot of chemicals in, on or around me so dying hair was not really an option.  That and cost.  Though if I really wanted to, I'm sure that I could swing the cost by cutting back in other things.  But really, the chemicals is the big why for me personally.  Obviously I don't expect others to have that same limitation and don't really notice those kinds of things on other people.  As long as someone has washed and combed their hair and have a smile on their face, I think that they look nice. 

Mine is a combination of cost and laziness.   And having an introverts hatred of the whole beauty parlor experience. 

Dh has had white hair since his 20's so doesn't really care what I do. 

• Like 4