Menu

Ignore this thread!

17 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I have some shirataki noodles.  How would I make them to be a ramen substitute?

Add to broth with veggies and meat (if you want).

Here's just one recipe:  (I didn't click to see what kind of gf noodles she uses but the shirataki noodles can be used just as easily - but added at the end)

https://confessionsofafitfoodie.com/21-day-fix-instant-pot-ramen-noodles/#tasty-recipes-6314

The closet is done!!

Stuff has been relocated to the basement, ds19's room, the goodwill pile and the trash bins.

The bedroom is not done yet, but is much better.  We are ordering a bookcase and a dvd/media tower to help solve the overflow problems.  I will probably have to purge some books.  Waah!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Dh and I went to our favorite Mexican food and tequila joint. Then i came home and cut ds9’s hair like he’s been asking (because im done with the amateurs that have taken over our Sport Clips, yet cannot justify what my lady charges for boy haircuts to take him there nor the drive). He was starting to look like Wolverine though so I finally just did it. It looks great if I say so myself and we are both happy. 

This is my Goodnight 🌙 , Goodnight room post because great tequila and Hiving don’t mix. 

Have a lovely evening ladies and may the babies be sweet and sleepy. 

Sure they do!  We had such fun with Slache when she was on major pain killers!  - which is not the same as tequila, but sorta similar!  

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2020 at 12:52 AM, Slache said:

¡Hola! I thought Hagrid was the keeper of keys? It's been a while.

If you plan to re-read TWTM the 1st and 4th editions are the most recommended. They have more how to. Check out the pinned threads on the boards for nuts and bolts on homeschooling.

I'm Slache, but we do nicknames on ITT so I'll be Slash, Where's Toto will be Toto, etc. Myblessings4 is Angi. Her birth name is Myblessings4, but that's just too much for us.

I have DS9, DD7, DM(onkey)4 and DS3weeks, but I call them by their names because I'm a horrible and careless mother.

He is indeed. But I most strongly identify with McGonagall - including the severe top bun. However, I couldn't think of a name I liked that referenced her - and I love Hagrid's title, Keeper of Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts. So I took his title and Minerva's picture. I'm not famous for rule-following (part of the reason I didn't love my own experience in public school).

On 8/28/2020 at 1:04 AM, Slache said:

It's always so weird when someone comes in and they're all "so I've been reading your thread". Like wait, what did you read? What did I say? No one told me this was open to the public.

😂  definitely creeping. It's sort of intimidating to jump into an active thread, but better than lurking I guess. Like Susan, I ignored this thread for a long time while perusing the WTM boards too. I was missing out on so much!

Thank you all for the warm welcome ❤️

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Morning.   Happy Sunday!   Our weather reports and the NOAA all say it's a Sunny 87 degrees but the extremely cloudy sky is making a lie of them all. 

Dh is heading down to help his mom again.  She has another doctor appointment about her heart surgery on Tuesday.  This time he's taking my car because he doesn't want to drive the big-a$$ Suburban into Philly (can't blame him for that).   

I'm working on classes, cleaning, planning school.  My usual.  My life is boring.    But only two weeks until my classes start and I have a feeling it's going to be a lot less boring then.   I just spent over $800 on supplies to start the year.  😵  Which I guess really isn't THAT much, but it sure seems like a lot when you push that Order button.  

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Sunday!!!

Church!!!
Our Internet was cranky this morning too, Lynn!!! It’s all right now.

Finished my Churchill book. That was a beast. I wanted to cry. It was so good. I started “A Brave New World” by Aldous Huxley. It’s no wonder I am depressed. I need to get some more cheerful reading material.

I gotta work on my last essay for my class today. It’d due today. Nothing like procrastination.

• Like 3

RFgoid morning!

Well there’s a typo for ya!  Looks like I’ve been spiking Lynn’s coffee.

I’m in round 2 of 3 Sunday morning sermons on Mark 1. We got here at 7 and should be home by 2.  It feels like a refrigerator in here. 

Have some ketchupping to do. 

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I learned that subbing half of your butter with shortening remedies this, at least it does in the recipe I use. Also, if you want chewy instead of crunchy, use brown sugar instead of white. Good luck with your second batch!

The second batch was better - I added more flour to firm up the dough a bit and also halfway through baking, used a silicone spoon to scootch the edges toward the middle and shape them up a bit. 

Is “scootch” not a word?  My phone doesn’t think so. Maybe I’m spelling it wrong. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

The second batch was better - I added more flour to firm up the dough a bit and also halfway through baking, used a silicone spoon to scootch the edges toward the middle and shape them up a bit. 

Is “scootch” not a word?  My phone doesn’t think so. Maybe I’m spelling it wrong. 

I think scootch is a word.  My mother used it all the time. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

Heading out for coffee with a friend now that church and the feast have concluded. Then I need to muster up enough energy to go shopping 😖

Shopping can be surprisingly hard to muster energy for.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

Why do all these people come with all these accoutrements?! 

This is the real challenge with a large family. It doesn't take having a ton of stuff per person for the stuff to add up quickly when there are nine people!

We turned our garage into living space, which gives us close to 2000 square feet. But of course we lost storage space that way.

Turns out 222 sq ft per person is easily overwhelmed by a person's allotment of stuff.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I’m annoyed. In July, I bought the pdf student guides for History Quest and History Ody. and downloaded them. I went to use them and found that they had been deleted by “someone”. No problem, right? I can just go download again, right? No! Pandia Press has an expiration date for downloads! I’m going to call to tomorrow and see if I actually have to pay for them again. I’m going to be miffed if I do.

Hopefully they are reasonable about it and give you a new download link.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, maize said:

Why does life involve taking care of So Much Stuff?!?

I want to live in a duplex: one side will have all our stuff nicely organized and accessible as needed.

The other side will be for living in with minimal stuff. 

I want a duplex so I can live on one side and everyone else can live on the other.  🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, maize said:

Shopping can be surprisingly hard to muster energy for.

I have to go shopping tonight.  It's 6:15pm and I'm going at 7:00pm in hopes that it won't be that busy.  Usually dh does all the shopping but he's down at his moms and we need stuff.  He suggested I go after working out with dd but we're not working out until Tuesday and we need stuff before then.   And I know I won't get up early to do it tomorrow morning.  So, I'm going to bite the bullet and go to the grocery store.  

• Like 3

Edpo

Paradox, I’m answering your Mosdos question here because: felpful.

I was given the Ruby level and we didn’t use it.  It was too schooly for me.  As in, major anxiety and flashbacks to a stuffy grade-school room that felt like a prison sentence that would never end. I decided that I would not be able to teach it.  Plus I seem to remember just snippits of stories or something?  I could be remembering wrong, but I hated it in school when we would have to read part of a story.  I’d wake up at night wondering what happened in the rest of the story 🤣 I also hate anthologies.  No reason, just do.  Anyway, I’m no help.  Which is why I answered here.

/edpo

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Edpo

Paradox, I’m answering your Mosdos question here because: felpful.

I was given the Ruby level and we didn’t use it.  It was too schooly for me.  As in, major anxiety and flashbacks to a stuffy grade-school room that felt like a prison sentence that would never end. I decided that I would not be able to teach it.  Plus I seem to remember just snippits of stories or something?  I could be remembering wrong, but I hated it in school when we would have to read part of a story.  I’d wake up at night wondering what happened in the rest of the story 🤣 I also hate anthologies.  No reason, just do.  Anyway, I’m no help.  Which is why I answered here.

/edpo

Yes!!

I hate most literature curricula because they just give a chapter of this and a chapter of that.  This is why I want to write my own high school literature curriculum.  Unfortunately, I won't have time to write it until all of my kids are out of high school.  I *think* that some of my kids are planning to homeschool, so I have until my first grandchild is in 9th grade...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I"m pretty sure Mosdos is all complete stories.  Mostly short stories, some poetry and one complete novel in each level. 

I loved the anthologies in school.  Not snippets but whole stories.  I had Norton for years in high school and was always reading ahead.

My problems with anthologies are that the books are too thick to hold and the print is too small to read.  I am an old lady.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I"m pretty sure Mosdos is all complete stories.  Mostly short stories, some poetry and one complete novel in each level. 

I loved the anthologies in school.  Not snippets but whole stories.  I had Norton for years in high school and was always reading ahead.

Yeah, prolly is.  I just remember it FEELING like those grade school books we had.  

I’m not a short story/poems person though, either.  I have a Norton Anthology on my shelf from HS and have never opened it.  But I haven’t gotten rid of it either.  I feel like I should read it; I just can’t/don’t/won’t.  Maybe I’ll assign it to DS.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

BTW, Mosdos is probably awesome.  I never said my opinion was justified 🤪. Pretty sure my response was selfish.  I didn’t want to put myself through it.  DS May have loved it; the world will never know.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 3

I hate non-leisure shopping on a Sunday because I am trying to garner the mental energy for the week ahead and shopping puts me in a huge deficit.

What else were we talking about?

Well, I took a nap for an hour, woke up at 5, washed the sink full of dishes and pans since the dishwasher is full, and am now drinking coffee at 7pm. svengo.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Junie said:

My problems with anthologies are that the books are too thick to hold and the print is too small to read.  I am an old lady.

Oh yeah, Nortons are huge and the writing is tiny.   I bought a bunch at a used book store but even my 15 year old isn't ready for that yet.

Mosdos is pretty much standard textbook size and even my adhd 13 year old doesn't find the print too small or anything.  

• Like 2

I'm back from the store.  I survived.  I was right, it was dead after dinner on a Sunday.   Only bad thing is they didn't have some stuff I wanted and I don't know if that's because Sunday is a bad day for shipments or what.   It is the first or last day of their sale cycle so I guess that could be a problem. Used to be going on Sunday night (or was that Saturday night?) you got both sales.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1