Menu

What's with the ads?

EdPo: 

What would you choose for 5thish grade American history/geography? I'm looking at options for next year. I'm looking at Notgrass America the Beautiful or maybe Exploring American History by Christian Liberty Press with either Trailguide to U.S. Geography or Draw the USA. Any thoughts?

It's another EdPo Booya(h)™

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Oldest is writing! Oldest is writing! Oldest is actually WRITING!!!! And he's not even whining about it! I gave him a different direction to take and gave him a ton of leeway. He can choose any topic he wants, real or fiction doesn't matter. I want 1 paragraph with a good topic sentence. First sentence must be indented, stay inside the paper margins, space every other line so it can be edited tomorrow, and spelling doesn't matter because tomorrow is edit, rewrite, and illustrate day.

Woohoo! I even got the "Critter Seal of Approval" on this so I MUST be on the right track!

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Paradox: Can you just maybe pick 1-2 math problems to make sure it's mastered, then move on? Then you can slow down and teach when you get far enough to where she's being challenged. What level are you in? I might've missed that info and I'm too busy today to go back and search. Wow, maybe we should be doing Saxon because CLE 4 is going way too fast for Oldest. I THOUGHT Saxon moved faster which is why we chose to stay with CLE this year. We're not even done with unit 3 yet because I had to stop everything and have him practice longer before moving forward or it'll just snowball. CLE has already moved into multiplying by double digits and long division! Oldest was getting too overwhelmed. I'm definitely taking on the "curriculum is my servant, not my master" mantra.

Oh yeah! CLE books it starting in 400. Saxon might be an idea to look into.

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

What's on the menu tonight? I need ideas. With my stomach doing gymnastics, nothing is even remotely appealing to me but the rest of the family will still be hungry at dinnertime.

Mac-n-cheese, ground meat with garlic and mushrooms, peas. Kids voted chicken patties and tater tots. Hey they want to cook it, I'll go along.

3 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Charging along, getting things done. About to start cooking with one boy, but the other one is making his own homemade French Fries, and he gets grumpy if I get in his way in the kitchen.

Dinner is brisket, roast potatoes, and caramel apples for dessert.

Critter, I'm coming your house. Recipes, please? I've always wanted to try making brisket. It's practically Texas' state food! Can it be done sans grill?

And I appreciate everyone's thoughts on my Saxon dilemma. I decided she needs a higher level math after pulling up some different math skills lists. I guess giving her the placement test would have been a good idea. I don't know why I didn't this time! In all honesty, all her books were too young/easy. I bought her BJU DLO 5, at her request, but I'm teaching most of it. I don't do science well. Ok, I don't do science at. all..

Ohh and y'all want to know something cool? I charted out what year my kids will graduate in therory from high school! Quiet Boy is grad year either 2023 or 2024. The Girl is 2027!! Anyone else remember when the years past 2020 seemed so futuristic. Wierd to think about.

BTW, Servie, BJU History 5 is an overview of American history. If you like, I can always check my homeschool store for used stuff. I'm hoping it is ok for us as we aren't the same demonination as BJU.

Mailed all the free books today, took care of the BJU order, CLE return, and that's about it. I been lazy.

Edited by Paradox5
More to say...
  • Like 3

Well, for this brisket, I roasted it with high heat in the oven, and now I've got it in a pot with carrots and onions, about a half-cup of liquid (water and V-8), a few bay leaves, and some thyme to braise it until it's tender. It takes hours and hours in the oven. But it's good.

• Like 5

We’re having Krissi’s famous creamy potato soup for dinner.  

I have been working on Christmas-at-the-in-laws menus and trying to accommodate both my diet (no sugar or white flour) and dd21’s diet (vegetarian) without getting too weird for the in-laws or their grandson and not having to bring SO much food that we can’t fit the sleeping bags or sleds in the van.  I don’t care about skipping desserts too much, and dd will eat bread & potatoes so that will cover quite a bit. 

• Like 6

Susan, I must have missed it. What did you do to yourself?!? Don’t you know getting hurt is against ITT rules?!

I want brownies.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Well, for this brisket, I roasted it with high heat in the oven, and now I've got it in a pot with carrots and onions, about a half-cup of liquid (water and V-8), a few bay leaves, and some thyme to braise it until it's tender. It takes hours and hours in the oven. But it's good.

Must have details...

• Like 1

We had chicken and noodles, broccoli, biscuits, and cranberry sauce.  It was easy and yummy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Paradox5 said:

Susan, I must have missed it. What did you do to yourself?!? Don’t you know getting hurt is against ITT rules?!

I want brownies.

I’m not exactly sure what I did, but I think it’s just rotator cuff tendonitis. Dh is concerned that it’s a bone spur, but the pain comes and goes (I only have trouble with it a couple times a year). This episode is hanging on longer than usual. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

The majority of the time, leftovers (if there are any) are eaten for lunch the next day. New meals are cooked in the evening. It makes getting lunch ready so much easier (ahem, faster) during the day. 

This is what happens to most of our leftovers, too.

• Like 3

These are what I’ve been working on while the kids are in rehearsals. 

B5C923CE-505C-4A0C-88CC-E7C6134E1E0B.jpeg

(Flour sack dish towels)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

(Flour sack dish towels)

Wow! That's takes skill! I've tried and failed at embroidery more than once, and floursack towels get holes way too easy when I attempt any type of sewing on them. Your artwork is sooo pretty!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

(Flour sack dish towels)

Beautiful!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

P.S. Slachey, give yourself a little grace. You are doing extraordinarily well in very difficult circumstances. 

I agree. Slache you are doing a wonderful job! Look at all you have done this year! Moved cross country, settled into a new city, new job for Matt, new car... lots of new. Take some time to relax and reflect. Have some chocolate.

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Brownies are good. 

Sadly, I don’t have a mix on hand and not a bit of chocolate to be had in the house. Course I don’t know how to make homemade brownies. But I know they need frosting.

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

Must have details...

Well, lets see. I salted it (it was the 5 lb flat cut), peppered it, and stuck it in my Dutch oven. Then I put it in the oven at 500 for about 30 minutes, flipped it, and roasted it at 500 for another 30. I chopped up 5 carrots and 3 onions and cut the top off a head of garlic, and roasted all that on a pan at the 500 for about 30 minutes or so. Then I put it all together, added 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 cup of V-8, two bay leaves, and a sprinkle of thyme and covered it with the lid. I then braised it at 275 for 3.5 hours. 

I was supposed to roast it again at 500 to get it smoking again, but I got hungry. It smelled too good! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

We're home!  I picked up a tiny grocery order on the way home.  We are leftovers.  Dh will be home later. 

Another Christmas present was delivered!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Susan is doing all the things.

:laugh:  You know what I'm NOT doing?  The dishes, cleaning, practicing my orchestra music, tidying, vacuuming, bathroom scrubbing, or laundry.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Dinner was leftovers for dh and the kids, and spring rolls and steamed dumplings from my favorite vegan place.  I'm not vegan but I really love their food.  "Chinese" food (in quotes because it's the American version of Chinese food) that doesn't give me a headache or make me feel sick.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We did calorimetry in 4-H STEM tonight.  I swear it seems like every middle and high schooler I know loves playing with fire.  Except my son.  Class or 4-H, if anything is on fire, he leaves the room. 

Dh fixed my sink so it works again.  Thankfully since I now have dishes to do from tonight's 4-H.  I'll do them in the morning.    But he fixed the sink when we would normally be heading to the gym so we skipped the gym/TKD tonight.  

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

And I just ordered two more presents.

What did you get me?

13 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

:laugh:  You know what I'm NOT doing?  The dishes, cleaning, practicing my orchestra music, tidying, vacuuming, bathroom scrubbing, or laundry.

That's ok. I did those things. All of them.

10 minutes ago, Renai said:

Dinner: https://www.plantoeat.com/recipes/13727390/30858236, except with purple cabbage instead of green.

You have to share the regular link, not the plan to eat link. They can't see the plan to eat website unless they are members.

5 minutes ago, Junie said:

Eating chocolate is good for kidney stone pain, right?

Yes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Me neither. I ran out of steam. Going to bed early. Goodnight all.

• Like 2

Kitty is stealthily stalking and intermittently attacking a suspected intruder with great ferocity.

It's a little puff of her own fur stuck to the carpet. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

6 hours ago, whitehawk said:

In theory, French lentils and mushrooms. I need to make sure to start cooking on time. In retrospect... I could've just now cooked the lentils during quiet time. Oops.

This was, as always, better than i expected. I don't like the smell of lentils cooking. But the finished product doesn't taste lentilly--lemon, garlic, and thyme cover it.

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Dinner was leftovers for dh and the kids, and spring rolls and steamed dumplings from my favorite vegan place.  I'm not vegan but I really love their food.  "Chinese" food (in quotes because it's the American version of Chinese food) that doesn't give me a headache or make me feel sick.  

I"m not vegan either, but that sounds really good!

39 minutes ago, Junie said:

No.  I think beer is recommended.  Sorry.  

12 minutes ago, Slache said:

I'm tired.

Amen and Amen.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Slache said:

You have to share the regular link, not the plan to eat link. They can't see the plan to eat website unless they are members.

Yes.

I can see it and I'm not a member.  It offers me a free trial but I can see the recipe.

Not that I'm ever going to cook it.   But I use purple cabbage to make pH indicator.  Does that count?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I can see it and I'm not a member.  It offers me a free trial but I can see the recipe.

Not that I'm ever going to cook it.   But I use purple cabbage to make pH indicator.  Does that count?

Cool! It used to just take you to the sales page.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Junie said:

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Yes.

Thank you, Dr. Slache.

28 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

No.  I think beer is recommended.  Sorry.  

I've never had an alcoholic drink, so I guess I'll just stick with chocolate.  Especially since I already ate a bunch.  :)

• Like 5

I read somewhere about drinking vinegar, but I don't think I'm that desperate.  Plus, I would be worried about what it would do to my teeth.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Junie said:

I read somewhere about drinking vinegar, but I don't think I'm that desperate.  Plus, I would be worried about what it would do to my teeth.

This isn't really a thing. The only study to come to the conclusion (I believe) that this might be a bad idea involved drinking 2 cups of vinegar a day for 6 months. If I were you I would introduce a tablespoon of ACV with dinner to my diet to see how it affects my kidney stones and general well being in relation to my blood alkaline levels.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Slache said:

This isn't really a thing. The only study to come to the conclusion (I believe) that this might be a bad idea involved drinking 2 cups of vinegar a day for 6 months. If I were you I would introduce a tablespoon of ACV with dinner to my diet to see how it affects my kidney stones and general well being in relation to my blood alkaline levels.

I'm still reluctant.  This kidney stone has been moving sporadically for about a month now.  I hope that it's about done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

Just now, Junie said:

I'm still reluctant.  This kidney stone has been moving sporadically for about a month now.  I hope that it's about done.

I know I do weird things. I'm not sorry. :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 11/17/2019 at 7:41 PM, Slache said:

Alex: Datty, I need mo papah.
Matt: I can't get you paper right now.
Alex: Yes you can. You hab wegs.
Matt: No I don't. I lost them in the war.
Alex: *inspects legs* Datty, dese are wegs.

You and Mr. Slashaboo were made for each other. 😆

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

You and Mr. Slashaboo were made for each other. 😆

You have no idea.

Edited by Slache
I said mo instead of no and it ruined the whole thing.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6