Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

Classes were really fun today.  The kids really had a great time processing the crime scene in forensics.  In Biology we made a muddy mess (and Winogradsky Columns).   Still have 4-H starting at 7pm.  I decided to do a boat building challenge tonight.  

You are awesome!

(also, I misread Winogtadsky as Wayne Gretzky.)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Slache said:

I love the ocean. It's where my soul was born and I am most at peace.

I love the ocean, too. I lived in Nevada for awhile when I was young; it was the only time I have ever lived in a land-locked state, and it felt weird, even though I don't often actually, you know, GO to the beach. Just knowing it's *right there* is satisfying.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Ellie said:

I love the ocean, too. I lived in Nevada for awhile when I was young; it was the only time I have ever lived in a land-locked state, and it felt weird, even though I don't often actually, you know, GO to the beach. Just knowing it's *right there* is satisfying.

Yes. Agreed. I get homesick away from it. I didn't even want to move to San Antonio because it is so far away.

• Like 3

I didn't mean to make everybody cry! It's just interesting how there has been a major world event and my child is going to remember it. I remember telling him that it was inappropriate for him to play 9/11, but he didn't really get it. When he heard about this on the news he almost cried and it's going to mean something to him if he ever sees it.

• Like 3

The towers and main structure are saved. There are very good pictures of the inside available. It doesn't look if many, if any, stained glass windows were damaged. The huge rose one is still there. Some burning may continue for days though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My brain gave out for the last 20 minutes of rehearsal.  So. Many. Notes.  Time for sleep.  

Why isn't ds23 home yet?  We drove to rehearsal separately today, but he should be home by now...

OK, he just drove up.  Now sleep.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

Good morning!

Dd16 and I have appointments with the eye doctor today.  They have a Keurig in their waiting room!  :biggrin:  After lunch I need to take ds14 to get a haircut.  Kids' orchestra tonight.  Dd12 has been wheezing a little the past couple days, but I don't see any signs of pneumonia yet.  

Coffee!

• Like 3

Good Morning!

Happy Tuesday!

The past two nights when I was having trouble sleeping, I watched "Wonder" in Spanish.  I have discovered that my Spanish comprehension is very, very far ahead of my French comprehension.  I probably understood about 30 percent of the dialog in Spanish (vs. about 5 percent of French).  

I am really trying to improve my Spanish and ASL skills.  I am hoping to start attending Spanish Sunday School at our church.  A friend of mine (who is a native Spanish speaker) attends and her husband (who is fluent) is one of the teachers.  Also, I saw the Hispanic pastor in the church hallway and when I greeted him in Spanish I could see a stunned look on his face.  Apparently I've never said "Hola. Como estas?" to him before?  Anyway, he said that my pronunciation was very good.  :)

And with ASL I have a friend who is an interpreter.  She recently invited a deaf family to our church and has been interpreting for them.  My friend has encouraged me to communicate with the family in ASL to make them feel welcome.  I was able to have a couple of short interactions with them in the past few weeks.

Improving my foreign language skills has been on my to-do list for the past couple of years.  It's exciting to start seeing some progress and opportunities for more progress.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Good morning. I never did school prep so Imma do that now.

Tea! Monday! Don't argue with me.

1 hour ago, Spudater said:

I hope it’s not arson. There was an arson attack at St. Sulpice recently and there have been a whole slew of vandalisms against Catholic churches across France recently. 

This was one of my first thoughts but I've read that it was where the construction workers were and probably their fault. Doing construction work in the area could be why all of the art and relics were saved. They were already gone.

18 minutes ago, Renai said:

I slept 8 hours last night, and that includes the 56 minutes of awake/restlessness.

That is all.

Yay! Good job.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Slache said:

John was devastated about Notre Dame. If we ever make it to Paris he will stand it front of it remembering our family constantly checking news reports to, at and on our way home from the beach today. That's a strange thought.

My one boy is just glued to the reports. He keeps saying--"but it survived WW2". He's been really delving into WW2 on his own, and I think it bothers him that something that survived wars could be destroyed. 

ETA: Booyah

But I don't like this booyah. Just glad that the reports from Notre Dame say only one person injured and no one killed. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 6

I made two phone calls to schedule two appointments.  Thank you, thank you very much.  I would like to thank Verizon who made the phone calls possible.  I would like to thank my children for growing up and not making phone calls impossible with their noise.  I would like to thank the quiet of my bedroom where I can hear.  I would like to thank my calendar for making it possible to organize plans and events.  Mostly, I would like to thank my friends at the ITT who support me through my most challenging tasks.  😜

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

I am in a “Spring Break State of Mind” (with regards to Billy Joel), even though it is not Spring Break in this house and we have work to do.

It is raining this morning, which is extremely unusual for this time of year.

DH informed me that there is new house paint on the passenger side of my car on the back corner.😩 Poor DS. He is 15. And wants to learn to drive. And honestly, he does a good job most of the time. But he’s still 15 and learning. He loves to park and back my car out of the garage. And it is extremely difficult to maneuver into my garage bay because I have a Sienna and the door way is narrow. All I can say is, I am glad my car is 15 years old and a little beat up as it is.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I made two phone calls to schedule two appointments.  Thank you, thank you very much.  I would like to thank Verizon who made the phone calls possible.  I would like to thank my children for growing up and not making phone calls impossible with their noise.  I would like to thank the quiet of my bedroom where I can hear.  I would like to thank my calendar for making it possible to organize plans and events.  Mostly, I would like to thank my friends at the ITT who support me through my most challenging tasks.  😜

Yay, cheers, whistles, hands Lynn a bouquet of red roses and a check for a squillion dollars and a large trophy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

My one boy is just glued to the reports. He keeps saying--"but it survived WW2". He's been really delving into WW2 on his own, and I think it bothers him that something that survived wars could be destroyed. 

But I don't like this booyah. Just glad that the reports from Notre Dame say only one person injured and no one killed. 

It is a little unnerving to me, actually. I don’t know why. Maybe it’s because it’s something so symbolic of Western Culture, civilization, Art, beauty, Faith....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

I spent all day yesterday in an existential funk, so I get it. I majored in Art History and I am a huge fan of western civilization. I found myself mourning both the cathedral (and contents) itself, and the slow death of all that it symbolizes.

Maybe you could take him to go watch a waterfall for an hour or two?

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Congratulations. You can now consider yourself done for the day. Find a quiet place to recover and celebrate.  With chocolate.

• Like 2

I sent the kids outside to wash the van.  It's so dirty I think it was sprouting vegetation.

Meanwhile I repaired one of the end-of-school-year gift books.  I'm pretty careful about the books I order in terms of condition, but sometimes they don't send the book or edition I ordered or it's in much worse condition than it should be from their description.  So far out of 5 books that have come, 2 were not the correct edition, but I'm OK with the ones they sent.  One book was in good condition and just needed a bit of binding repair tape.  One book that hasn't come in yet was listed as in Very Good condition, but when I got the order email, it was listed in "acceptable" condition, which I never bother with.  I'll have to see when it comes. Might be OK.

Eye doctor has been seen, bank was visited, haircut has been gotten, small table is cleaned, book repaired, dinner in IP, laundry washed, plants putzed around.

• Thanks 1

I have a friend who was at Notre Dame yesterday morning. Her husband had to be in Paris for a work trip, so she tagged along.  She was also in Haiti for the big earthquake.  I don't think I'm ever going to vacation with her. 

Ds finished Latin II, and has thus fulfilled his foreign language requirements for high school graduation. I wasn't sure either of us were going to survive the process.  I'm gathering his Latin stuff up to stick in the transcript/workproduct box and saying Amen(!) to it all.  He also finished up History of the Renaissance World today.  He's got a long ways to go on the rest of his subjects, but today has been a lovely reminder that homeschooling him won't last forever. 1 year and 8 weeks to go!  I spent a good chunk of yesterday daydreaming about when the (tiny) schoolroom is my office. I'm building an upholstered windowseat/daybed with filing cabinets underneath the seat so that when the time comes I can either rest on my daybed and read in the sunlight, or flip on a 65" tv to watch Netflix or listen to Pandora, or I have a lovely office to write in.  I just have 11 more years to go until they all graduate! I'm halfway through!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spudater said:

Dang. I’m over 3/4 of the way through this mystery and I don’t even know whom I most suspect let alone least or medium suspect. Hats off to Ruth Rendell.

Ooo, do tell. Both my mom and I love mysteries, but Nana doesn't like anything gory or excessively dark. Would that author fit?

• Like 1