Menu

Ignore this thread!

12 hours ago, Slache said:

Are you not going to answer the H thing? I need the answer to the H thing. This is legitimately bothering me.

A vowel is a necessity to have a syllable. The only time I can think of when H does that job is the second syllable of rhythm. Another test: a vowel can be used to sing a note. So when it comes to Y, we could sing its long I, short I, and long E sounds, but not its consonant sound. We can sing all the sounds of A. And so on.

11 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

I don't say an unless the h is silent.

Thank you!

"An historic ____" is correct in British English but not US English, because Americans pronounce the H. Likewise an [h]otel and an [h]ospital.  But we do say an hour, because it's not pronounced a HOW-er.

#teamH

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

I have ordered Some Books.  A couple that weren't on my list, but they were at such good prices on abebooks that I splurged.

What's your favorite Shel Silverstein book?

Can't help. We're more Jack Prelutzky types here.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I have ordered Some Books.  A couple that weren't on my list, but they were at such good prices on abebooks that I splurged.

None.  I despise all his poetry.  That man needed a therapist.    (Sorry, was that harsh?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

We've only done Where the Sidewalk Ends but we loved it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I am back from Art. I did not art. My brain is completely submerged in words. All the words. I might hate words. I think I need chocolate. Somebody send Rocco with a bucket of fudge.

🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, whitehawk said:

A vowel is a necessity to have a syllable. The only time I can think of when H does that job is the second syllable of rhythm. Another test: a vowel can be used to sing a note. So when it comes to Y, we could sing its long I, short I, and long E sounds, but not its consonant sound. We can sing all the sounds of A. And so on.

Thank you!

"An historic ____" is correct in British English but not US English, because Americans pronounce the H. Likewise an [h]otel and an [h]ospital.  But we do say an hour, because it's not pronounced a HOW-er.

#teamH

Your first example is what I was thinking about. Yes!!

• Like 1

Just got back from my parents’ house. I want to cry. Aging sucks, it really does. Loss of independence, lots of frustration.....all having to do with a #$&@ flat tire, and how to get it fixed. My poor dad. Up against two women, who don’t think it is safe to drive into town in a mostly flat tire, but we can’t get the lug nuts off to change it. He doesn’t want to call a tow truck. “You just don’t trust my judgement!” And this is all in the heels of another argument they had about moving to the retirement village and he was trying to drag me into it. I said, “no, I am not getting involved, you guys have to figure this one out yourself.”

#iwanttocry

#agingsucks

#isaidsucks

• Sad 8

((Prairie))  &  ((Krissi))

I think I'll get dd20 the special anniversary edition Where the Sidewalk Ends / A Light in the Attic set. I have a B&N gift card to use.  We love Shel.  Just the right amount of dementedness.  She's also getting Winnie-the-Pooh, John Donne, and George Herbert to balance things out.    :laugh:

• Thanks 1

I rivered. It was peaceful, but windy. I'm waiting on someone to read my synopsis and tell me it's still garbage. I was going to use another word that Hemingway would use, but happy place. So I didn't. I had a great idea for my third book, but like all soap bubbles, it's probably going to pop when I try it out on paper. But it's a start.

• Like 7

We had tacos/burritos for dinner.  Dh took oldest dd out to look at cars.  She's looking for a new-to-her used car.   I should be working on classes but I feel very tired so instead I'm reading the prequel/other version of Hunger Games mentioned in another thread.  I like it so far, it's Haymitch's story.  

Tomorrow I don't have to do anything until 2pm D&D so I plan to do a lot of work on my classes then.  I also have all day Saturday and Sunday.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

We had tacos/burritos for dinner.  Dh took oldest dd out to look at cars.  She's looking for a new-to-her used car.   I should be working on classes but I feel very tired so instead I'm reading the prequel/other version of Hunger Games mentioned in another thread.  I like it so far, it's Haymitch's story.  

Tomorrow I don't have to do anything until 2pm D&D so I plan to do a lot of work on my classes then.  I also have all day Saturday and Sunday.

Wait, what prequel???!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Renai said:

Wait, what prequel???!

I think it's like fan-fiction, but really good.  (I haven't read this or the originals....)

So, go to this thread on the chat board and scroll down to a post by someone named "Wishes"  https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/686116-for-the-hunger-games-fans/?tab=comments#comment-8360805

• Like 3

I’m back from the Parents’ House. The Flat Tire Crisis has been taken care of. Dad managed to get enough air in the tire (it had a slow leak) so Mom could drive it to the tire place (Dad doesn’t drive anymore). I picked them up there and drove them home.

DS had a math placement test at Christian School. I am really curious how he did. I signed him up for pre-algebra anyhow.

The wind is picking up again. I hate wind. My allergies are going bonkers and I have a chill.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

I rivered. It was peaceful, but windy. I'm waiting on someone to read my synopsis and tell me it's still garbage. I was going to use another word that Hemingway would use, but happy place. So I didn't. I had a great idea for my third book, but like all soap bubbles, it's probably going to pop when I try it out on paper. But it's a start.

Did you ever do anything with that animal story idea you had a while ago????

• Like 2

Good morning!

So rainy today!  Dd12's garden is doing well.  Her lettuce and flower seeds have all sprouted.  She goes out to encourage them every day.  Ds14 is running a low fever - probably the short-lived thing that dd10 had a couple weeks ago.  Imma go to the bank and bring dd12 to a store to find a swim suit.  Their youth group is supposed to have a swim party tomorrow night, though it will likely be too cold and rainy for swimming. 

Coffee!

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Good morning!  It's Friday!!  Supplements!  Coffee!  Work!  School!  Workout!  Remind me to register on the school district exercise/miles competition site!  Leftovers for supper!  

Dh's team has a very important game tonight in Waco.  Praying for a win!  

Am I remembering correctly that he coaches softball?

• Like 1

Happy Nirthday to Krissi's DD!

Stealth copter, come and fetch me. I need a break, and some Extremely Foolish Person didn't really schedule one until June. (Spring break doesn't count because peopling-in-lieu-of-school is not a break for me.)

Okay, maybe I'll have a cup of tea or something. It's a bit soon for second coffee.

• Like 5

Happy Nirthday!

I'm going to do some of these with my anti-dance kids today:

2 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Morning. I'm starting out feeling a little sick, and very tired. But I have around 50 pages to read to be done, and a concept synopsis to type up and ruminate on for the weekend. Off we go!

Have your kids done the NaNoWriMo journals?

• Like 2

The kids always spell what they want so they don't get the baby excited and lately I've been having a lot of these conversations...

Alex: Watch S-O-Z-G?
Me: You want to watch Signing Time?
Alex: No. Watch B-Y-V-H?
Me: You want to watch The Magic School Bus?
Alex: Yeah!

And he's all irritated that I didn't get the first time. Like "Why is Mama so bad at spelling?"

• Haha 5