Menu

Ignore this thread!

I am having a “not a great mom”, not “taking advantage of a teachable moment” moment. DD2 wanted to add more to her little essay on helium, so she copied directly out of the encyclopedia. Well, it’s almost 4:00 and I am tired and if I were a good Mom I would sit down with her and the encyclopedia and work with her to come up with stuff that she understands and is truly in her own words. I just nicely told her she couldn’t copy. She erased and left. I feel bad, but I am tired and working with her is such a struggle. She has learning problems that are just.... tremendous. She tries hard and I should have helped her, but I know that working with her on this will be a huge undertaking. Maybe we can revisit this some time when I am fresh.

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I am having a “not a great mom”, not “taking advantage of a teachable moment” moment. DD2 wanted to add more to her little essay on helium, so she copied directly out of the encyclopedia. Well, it’s almost 4:00 and I am tired and if I were a good Mom I would sit down with her and the encyclopedia and work with her to come up with stuff that she understands and is truly in her own words. I just nicely told her she couldn’t copy. She erased and left. I feel bad, but I am tired and working with her is such a struggle. She has learning problems that are just.... tremendous. She tries hard and I should have helped her, but I know that working with her on this will be a huge undertaking. Maybe we can revisit this some time when I am fresh.

At least you weren't a bad mom who would have told her that copying out of the encyclopedia was acceptable.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Fresh is good. You could always tuck her in with a compliment for her interest and hard work and you’ll teach her how to summarize soon.  Ever since I read Mindset, I try to remember to praise effort, kwim?

• Like 4

It was Mr. Green in the dining room with the rope.  Now everyone can go to bed.

I've started reading From Doon With Death by Ruth Rendell.  It's good so far.  I think it's the first of her Inspector Wexford novels.

Did I mention that I stopped by Goodwill and found a black suit jacket?  I think it should fit ds14 for the next month, at least.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Like the fake Santa:  “I like cocoa!”  From the 2nd Santa Clause movie. 😂

Slache, you're confused.  Probably haven't seen the movie.  Which we do not hold against you.  See you tube below.....

22 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Ahh!  Whoo!  That's delicious!

Yes!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had dentist and health check and I have a weird swelling in my shoulder around where a lymph node would be if I was a dog and my agent is calling first thing in the morning and I might be going on submission and we had a massive hailstorm last night that amazingly didn't break any windows and I am tired. The end. 🤣

Doctor is scheduled to look at my odd swelling next week. 

• Like 8

I am in disbelief that what I am scoring is for grade 7. Please continue to teach your children writing. Especially things like periods.

Good golly.

That is all.

ps. (Critterfixer is excused from that last post because we all know she has edited millions of pages already and is tired.)

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I had dentist and health check and I have a weird swelling in my shoulder around where a lymph node would be if I was a dog and my agent is calling first thing in the morning and I might be going on submission and we had a massive hailstorm last night that amazingly didn't break any windows and I am tired. The end. 🤣

Doctor is scheduled to look at my odd swelling next week. 

I love your short story.  Sleep well! :wub:

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Ummmm.... I am in severe need of an intervention.  A lemon brownie intervention . I have to go back into the kitchen now and do the dishes and there’s still half a pan. I did brush my teeth, so hopefully that will help.

You have to save some for me!!!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

You have to save some for me!!!

I managed to do the dishes and sweep the floor without getting into the brownies. Whew!!! I get like a squillion points for self-control. You need to come visit me, Susan. Then I will give you lemon brownies!!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Renai said:

I am in disbelief that what I am scoring is for grade 7. Please continue to teach your children writing. Especially things like periods.

Good golly.

That is all.

ps. (Critterfixer is excused from that last post because we all know she has edited millions of pages already and is tired.)

Run on sentence as as a stylistic choice.😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Good morning! A blessed Good Friday to you all!

I told the girls that they could sleep in and skip lessons if they'd like today.  They gleefully decided they wouldn't say anything to ds14 so he would have a minor freak-out this morning.  Sigh.  Dd12 plans to do math anyway because she wants to Be Done.  I'm taking dd16 to AFSA to look at glasses frames and pick up a couple things.

Angi, you have inspired me to add "Salad night" to the meal rotation this spring/summer.  

Dh took a vacation day today.

Coffee!

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

On the way to cello lesson a wasp started flying around the windshield.  INSIDE the van.  I stopped for gas and managed to wound it with a tissue box against the glass and then beat it with a waterbottle on the dashboard.  When we got back to the van after the lesson, the wasp was gone.  Svengo.  

Susan, too funny, I can just picture you beating the snot out of the wasp. Why? Because that could have been me anytime a stinging creature decides to invade my space. #phobiassuck

14 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Oh, how many of those moments I have had in recent years... you are a terrific mom. I agree with Slache... a not great mom would have told her to copy from the encyclopedia😈

Praying for Jean’s DD... I had a horrible (said with weird French accent) experience with wisdom tooth extraction. So much pain. I feel for her.

Slache, your DH must really love you to give up the grass, lol. By the way, we got two cats (littermates). Guess what the family - after literally hours and hours of deliberation - decided to name them... Cheech and Chong😬 Cheech is a girl, beautiful and long haired... she mostly goes by CheeChee. Chong is sleek and corny. They are both super cuddly and funny. I think God knew our family needed a combo of snuggles and laugh out loud crazy. So he gave us the kittehs.

Jojo! Junie! Prairie! WhiteHawk! Critter! Angi! ...🥰🥰🥰

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Since my schedule has lessened a bit this week, I am trying super hard to get in 10K steps a day.  Mostly by adding an extra session on the glider each day.  Today will be tricky because I'll have about 5 hours of sitting tonight with the Good Friday services.

I got 10K steps on Wednesday because we went on an outing. And I didn't die on Thursday!

Remind me I should totally have this journal published this weekend. I feel it has stretched out (the deadline) because I had that migraine last weekend. But, I just need to whip up this appendix and finish it already! 

I'm tired. I didn't get to sleep until after midnight, and I had a 5:30am class. I'm in a break right now, but have one more class in 5 minutes. (ESL)

Did I mention that test scoring has started again? I feel like I have mentioned it...

Dh is off work today for Good Friday. I wonder how miserable we'll all be the rest of the day. Or, maybe we'll get some spring cleaning done. Like the office. Did I mention that his boss' wife died about two weeks ago? Oh, and also, the nextdoor neighbor, the one whose cigarette smoke leaked into our apartment so badly that Dancer couldn't sleep in her room in the winter, has been diagnosed with lung cancer. He is undergoing chemo. He can use your prayers.

3 minutes.

Brain dump is over for now. Ciao!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Angi, you have inspired me to add "Salad night" to the meal rotation this spring/summer.  

For steak I often do taco or fajita salad with iceberg for a crunch. For chicken I have BLT, avocado, Asian and honey mustard. In a pinch I'll get a rotisserie chicken and make a salad with cashews, grapes, mayo herbs and spices. For fish I have tuna salad and a shrimp salad I haven't made yet. This is a great pasta salad but don't use egg noodles because they get mushy. My vegetarian options include avocado quinoa harvest bowl, a noodle miso salad (this in in Spanish, sorry), avocado egg salad, and this vegetarian club salad I just found.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Blessed Good Friday to you all!!

Busy day today because we are having Easter here tomorrow. DH has today off for the first time ever. Gotta clean the house, bake bread, go to the Afsa, bake another batch of lemon brownies and most importantly, go to the Good Friday Service tonight.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Slache said:

For steak I often do taco or fajita salad with iceberg for a crunch. For chicken I have BLT, avocado, Asian and honey mustard. In a pinch I'll get a rotisserie chicken and make a salad with cashews, grapes, mayo herbs and spices. For fish I have tuna salad and a shrimp salad I haven't made yet. This is a great pasta salad but don't use egg noodles because they get mushy. My vegetarian options include avocado quinoa harvest bowl, a noodle miso salad (this in in Spanish, sorry), avocado egg salad, and this vegetarian club salad I just found.

For some reason, I've developed an aversion to avocado. I'm hoping I can start liking again trying some of these salads.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Renai said:

For some reason, I've developed an aversion to avocado. I'm hoping I can start liking again trying some of these salads.

I'm like that with eggs. Texture, smell, flavor. Gag me with a spoon! It's so sad because I just love eggs. I think I might be allergic and my body's just smarter than I am.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I bow to your salad-ness.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Slache said:

I'm like that with eggs. Texture, smell, flavor. Gag me with a spoon! It's so sad because I just love eggs. I think I might be allergic and my body's just smarter than I am.

What's a fajita salad? (I know, I'm quoting the wrong post, but don't feel like scrolling up more...)

5 minutes ago, Renai said:

What's a fajita salad? (I know, I'm quoting the wrong post, but don't feel like scrolling up more...)

Flank steak or carne asada soaked overnight in all the things, bell peppers sauteed in onions, iceberg because low carb, guacamole or sour cream don't judge me.

If not low carb I would add corn chips, corn in the peppers and maybe rice because cheap.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Spudater said:

i just found out the Beatles wanted to make a movie of LotR but Tolkien refused and I can’t think of two things I love separately being more horrible together since that guy on America’s Worst Cooks made steak mole by putting melted M&Ms on steak.

BOOwhatareYAeventhinking?!

You need to update us on the Shakespeare thing when you make decisions.

20 minutes ago, Spudater said:

i just found out the Beatles wanted to make a movie of LotR but Tolkien refused and I can’t think of two things I love separately being more horrible together since that guy on America’s Worst Cooks made steak mole by putting melted M&Ms on steak.

BOOwhatareYAeventhinking?!

😱😱😱. A yellow submarine in Mordor???!!!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1