Menu

Ignore this thread!

True story...people in San Antonio don’t do much in March (when the Alamo fell). They do, however, celebrate the Battle of San Jacinto for over a week in April. It’s called Fiesta. Lots of great parades and fun events. The Battle of the Flowers is one of the more popular events. Pin collecting is popular—a lot of companies sponsor fiesta pins and make corresponding charitable donations.

• Like 3

I remember reading once that beer  and other fermented (and cultured) liquids were the safest and most nutritious beverages available for hundreds of years before the invention of refrigeration. Or something like that.  So I’m willing to cut long-dead folks a little slack on that matter. 

I survived the party!  Really, lots of nice people and some relatives.  Waaaaaaaaay too much sugar consumption on my part. ?  The kids played their music and then were asked to play again and they survived that, but just barely.  My (violin) g string broke right before the last Swedish polka, but I waa able to borrow dd11’s violin .

After the party we went to IKEA and then played a new-to-us game called “The Resistance” - it was a lot of fun. 

iTired.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Spudater said:

Ok, thanks.  LL is NOT a history lover, but I thought I might let her just read the first chapter and move on...we’ll see.

For my dd, we did some tests open book.  The tests look short and sweet, but there are few enough questions that it's easy to bomb one with just a few misses.  Nothing wrong with picking and choosing what you want to hold her accountable for!  

• Like 2

Happy Birthday, Susan’s DD!!

Mama25angels, praying. I know what it’s like to have a difficult boy. I have two.

I want to go to IKEA now!!! Just not up for a 6 hour round trip drive.

Spud, regarding the science, DS2 started General Science as a 7th grader, but barely made it through the first chapter. Now, take that with a grain of salt because he is very behind in most subjects, but.... it is much more hard core (demanding academically) than say A Beka or Bob Jones science at the same grade level. I liked it a lot, and I think it definitely could be done independently with a certain type of kid. Just not mine.  So, that’s my two cents.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mama25angels said:

Good Sunday morning!  When exactly do the kids stop doing things that are idiotic?  Anyway, for those that pray, please pray for my boy, it's going to be a long day for me.

I'm pretty sure my mom thinks I still do idiotic things...she's probably not always wrong.

• Like 5

Good morning. Stuff. San Antonio! :biggrin:

1 hour ago, mama25angels said:

Happy Birthday Susan's dd

church, picking up milk on way home and nap, I hope

could y'all do me another favor?  Please don't let me watch anymore Netflix originals!

Today is my 100th day of not watching television. I really liked Stranger Things.

• Like 3

My vitamin D was low too a few years back. I haven't noticed a difference in sleep though. But, glad it helps Spud. I finally got some okay sleep this past night too - from like 9-11 and then 11:30-7 or so, which was good, because the night before was only 5 hours. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Happy Birthday, Susan’s DD!!

Mama25angels, praying. I know what it’s like to have a difficult boy. I have two.

I want to go to IKEA now!!! Just not up for a 6 hour round trip drive.

Spud, regarding the science, DS2 started General Science as a 7th grader, but barely made it through the first chapter. Now, take that with a grain of salt because he is very behind in most subjects, but.... it is much more hard core (demanding academically) than say A Beka or Bob Jones science at the same grade level. I liked it a lot, and I think it definitely could be done independently with a certain type of kid. Just not mine.  So, that’s my two cents.

I will be a voice of dissension that Apologia General Science is more demanding than Bob Jones science.  I bought 7th grade life science from BJU for my oldest when he was that age and still have PSTD from looking at the rigor of those materials.  7 years of homeschooling under my belt and still such a noob I was.  I should have known that would never work here.  We didn't last a week with it.  

• Like 2

Movepo. (Officially added to recognized words on the phone so be warned)

Budget figured. We can afford to move. Yay! If we can fit our things on a trailer (huge if) we can save a ton of money. Did I forget anything?

• Pods or trailer
  • 2 months rent
  • Hotel gas and food for the trip
  • A miscellaneous fund
  • We get free boxes and tape

I have 4 possible moving dates in March and April.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

Budget figured. We can afford to move. Yay! If we can fit our things on a trailer (huge if) we can save a ton of money. Did I forget anything?

• Pods or trailer
  • 2 months rent
  • A miscellaneous fund

Does 2 months rent include $ for security deposit or utility deposit / hook up fees or whatever.  Plus groceries for some length of time (1st week or two) after move.  ?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Hmmm.  I don’t know anything about those other programs.  Most of the homeschoolers I know IRL seem to be using/have used it in 7th so they can do bio/chem/physics in high school.  Argh, it’s so hard to gauge!

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Apologia is pretty straightforward in implementation.  Text, On Your Own questions, Labs (pick and choose - keep it simple - do one per module or less if you need to), Study Guide (at the end of the chapter), test (open book?, or closed book at first and open book with a different color pen for a second chance at it or whatever).  It's 7th grade, so the grading is not permanent record.  But if you want to give her a taste of highschool grading, assign a percentage to each of those and weight it towards reading, On Your Own questions, with less weight towards the tests if you want.  

8 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I will be a voice of dissension that Apologia General Science is more demanding than Bob Jones science.  I bought 7th grade life science from BJU for my oldest when he was that age and still have PSTD from looking at the rigor of those materials.  7 years of homeschooling under my belt and still such a noob I was.  I should have known that would never work here.  We didn't last a week with it.  

Quoting myself to re-iterate the rigor of BJU science.  I've known of people whose kids went stem who wish they had used BJU chemistry instead of Apologia's chemistry.  I've known of non-stem kids who tried to do BJU Biology and barely lived to tell.  If you have STEM focused kids and you want a Christian publisher or the DVD teaching appeals to you, BJU is the most rigorous option out there.  I've never seen or heard of anyone's experience that demonstrated otherwise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slache said:

• Pods or trailer
  • 2 months rent
  • A miscellaneous fund

Make sure your miscellaneous fund is large enough to include utility deposits (gas/electric is one company called CPS in SA, but you will have a deposit for them as well as SAWS (water/trash company).  Our two deposits totaled $400ish. We chose to have internet service in our home. There was an initial fee for that too, even though we provided our own router.) You will likely also have a background check fee + pet deposit fee for your apartment. Your dh will need to change over his driver's license, and you will need to insure your vehicle with a TX policy. Expect your car insurance to be a bit higher if you carry comprehensive car insurance because of the risk of hail damage (and because there are a lot of impaired drivers). If you are signing up for CHIP (TX children's health plan) you will have a small enrollment fee (and a wait). 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Does 2 months rent include $ for security deposit or utility deposit / hook up fees or whatever.  Plus groceries for some length of time (1st week or two) after move.  ?

2 month = rent+a full security deposit, the rest is miscellaneous.

20 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Good morning. 

Good morning.

11 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Make sure your miscellaneous fund is large enough to include utility deposits (gas/electric is one company called CPS in SA, but you will have a deposit for them as well as SAWS (water/trash company).  Our two deposits totaled $400ish. We chose to have internet service in our home. There was an initial fee for that too, even though we provided our own router.) You will likely also have a background check fee + pet deposit fee for your apartment. Your dh will need to change over his driver's license, and you will need to insure your vehicle with a TX policy. Expect your car insurance to be a bit higher if you carry comprehensive car insurance because of the risk of hail damage (and because there are a lot of impaired drivers). If you are signing up for CHIP (TX children's health plan) you will have a small enrollment fee (and a wait). 

Thank you. This helps.

• Like 2

Since you asked for it...

Cutting Words Is Hard to Do

Do, do, do

Down, put your pencil down,

Comma, comma, down put your pencil down,

Comma, comma, down put your pencil down,

Cutting words is hard to do!

Don’t write so much, that you have to cut,

A novel’s worth in a single month.

Don’t you know it’ll make you blue,

‘Cause cutting words is hard to do!

Remember when you wrote all night,

In a hurry to get it right,

Think on that, and get a clue,

Cutting words is hard to do.

They say that writing novels is hard at the start,

Now you know the cutting’s the part,

That every writer will hate,

Editing and chopping up the story into crawfish bait.

Now that I know that no one likes,

A month of cutting words to make it right,

Next time I start anew,

I’ll consider outlining too.

(Not really, it wouldn’t be my style....)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Movingpo.

Told the fam. MIL is really upset (this was expected) SIL is thrilled (this was not). I'm glad the conversation is over. I'm ecstatic SIL is ecstatic!

I forgot to mention that when we mentioned that we were considering Texas MIL informed us that she has checked flights to Texas almost weekly for years and they are never as cheap as what I was claiming so we needed to rule that out. Isn't it great that she has been keeping an eye on that? I did not question her. I wish I had.

• Like 8

The texts are rolling in. Plane tickets a year from now are just as expensive as a flight to Portland which is proof plane tickets are rising.

The drive is 17 hours but it'll take 24-36 because of stops. This is soooooo not how we drive.

Gug.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Slache said:

The texts are rolling in. Plane tickets a year from now are just as expensive as a flight to Portland which is proof plane tickets are rising.

The drive is 17 hours but it'll take 24-36 because of stops. This is soooooo not how we drive.

Gug.

It's a haul, but stopping will be fine. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

It's a haul, but stopping will be fine. 

She stops at all the things. We leave early to avoid traffic and get the kids to fall back asleep and stop as little as possible. We would leave at 4 am and be there by dinner.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I didn't used to like stopping as much as I stop now. My hips hurt more than they used to hurt, and getting out to stretch is something I just have to do now. I understand both sides, though.

She likes to shop at every gift shop and stop at every viewing point. It takes us less than 2 hours to get home from Mount St. Helens. It took her 7. So with her driving, no, we would never come visit.

• Like 1

Hi guys! I went for my run this evening! After... 10 days away I think? 

Poor hubby had to go to the ER yesterday after the pain from his fall a week ago kept increasing. Apparently it is a "chest wall contusion." Severe damage/bruising to the cartilage that holds the ribs and the sternum together. Amazingly, no broken ribs. Also no ruptured spleen, which was the ER doc's first guess on observing his pain levels.

Kids are back from youth group camping trip. They had a blast, and seem more grown-up every time they leave and come back. **sniffle**

• Like 7
  • Sad 1