Menu

Ignore this thread!

8 hours ago, mama25angels said:

That sucks!  Would a cup of tea help?

Thanks, but no.  I did finally go around 11:00, so could have been worse.  

7 hours ago, Junie said:

Dd15 is finally home from camp!  I missed my girl.

Yay!  

7 hours ago, LauraBeth475 said:

I spent something like three hours today picking a student planner for my kids.  

I may need help.

That's because you didn't ask us.  We could have told you which planner.  (Then you could have spent 3 hours choosing from our favorites, lol.)

7 hours ago, Slache said:

I cannot relate to this in any way shape or form and will absolutely not do the exact same thing for my kids in a few years.

Just remember to ask us first.

6 hours ago, IsabelC said:

I have a burning desire to spend many hours researching home ed stuff. This may or may not have something to do with the fact that I have a major assignment for uni due in tomorrow.

@ Junie I hope your Ms.15 thoroughly enjoyed her camp and is also happy to be home

There's is definitely a correlation between the need to research home ed materials and the nearness of uni due dates!  (Hope you got it done without much angst afterall!)

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Day 190 steps. 
Day 61 hips

Yay!  ???

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Good morning!

Glad your dd is back, Junie!

Today is Party Day!  Really an open house from 1-4 kind of thing. The kids will play a little party music once in a while. I expect to see relatives and people from my ancient past and people I don’t know at all. But I will survive. ?

COFFEE!!

• Like 7

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Saturday!!!!

Hot!!???????????????? We broke the record yesterday. 22 days over 100 degrees. And it’ll be that hot into the foreseeable future.?? I hate summer!!

DH and DS2 went hiking this morning. Some Boy Scout requirement. I guess I’ll do some gardening before it gets too unbearable. I went to The Afsa last night, so I don’t have to do that today.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Glad your dd is back, Junie!

Today is Party Day!  Really an open house from 1-4 kind of thing. The kids will play a little party music once in a while. I expect to see relatives and people from my ancient past and people I don’t know at all. But I will survive. ?

COFFEE!!

That sounds wonderful!!  And yes, you will survive. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

Good morning!  It's Saturday!!  !

I'm picking up oldest dgc from their other grandma this morning, and taking oldest dgd school clothes shopping.  Her 12th birthday is this month, and I wanted her to pick her own clothes this year and go out to eat for her birthday present.   We will pick out clothes for the others while we're out.  Three of them will get haircuts sometime this weekend.  Then they're spending two nights.  Party time!!

Sounds like fun!! You’re a cool grandma!

• Like 1

My oldest two are heavily engaged in some kind of brainstorming conversation - throwing out ideas, considering various consequences, keeping some and tossing others, etc.  I think they're world building together for something.  It reminds me of overhearing them play legos and playmobile about 7 years back.  ❤️  (Don't tell them I said that.) 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I cleaned, dusted, vacuumed, and mopped. I fed my children and the two neighbor girls lunch. I haz done the things.  Now, I will continue my journey of planning history/writing and literature for DD1. It’s going well. I like doing that sort of thing.

• Like 6

I purged my clothes and the girls are stunned at how much I am getting rid of and how much I have left, yet I think I probably could have ditched more if I went strictly by what I love. I still need pantz, though, even if I don't love it. It was kind of hard to decide because the past 18mos have included pregnancy and weird postpartum body changes that are probably still not finalized. So I kept big, medium, and small for me pants just in case I need any of them after weaning which would probably be sometime next year. 

I should have taken a picture before the girls went through and grabbed what they wanted and before I bagged it up. It's kind of shameful how much I had! Good news for the girls is that the 90s are coming back in style! 

"When did you last wear this, Mom?" That'd be about 1998....?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spudater said:

Hallo

57 minutes ago, Slache said:

BESTEST. POTATO. EVAH!

49 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I didn’t choose the spud life...the spud life chose me...?

ha, how are you guys?

Spud’s back!! Insert happy dance guy!! Yay!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spudater said:

Hallo

Hi!!!  <insert waving like crazy emo>

50 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I didn’t choose the spud life...the spud life chose me...?

ha, how are you guys?

We're missing you!  How are you?

16 minutes ago, Spudater said:

A little better.  My vit D came back low and I’ve been taking extra and I think it’s helping me sleep better.  I’ve been waking up at 6:45 most mornings instead of 5:00!  It’s been a nice summer with lots of visits to the splash pad and watching old episodes of the GReat British Baking Show.  We made a tiramisu roulade for my birthday.  My in-laws are moving to town, which I think will be good.  I’m looking forward to the free babysitting.

Yay!  Glad you've had a restful summer!  And help on the way!  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Paige said:

I purged my clothes and the girls are stunned at how much I am getting rid of and how much I have left, yet I think I probably could have ditched more if I went strictly by what I love. I still need pantz, though, even if I don't love it. It was kind of hard to decide because the past 18mos have included pregnancy and weird postpartum body changes that are probably still not finalized. So I kept big, medium, and small for me pants just in case I need any of them after weaning which would probably be sometime next year. 

I should have taken a picture before the girls went through and grabbed what they wanted and before I bagged it up. It's kind of shameful how much I had! Good news for the girls is that the 90s are coming back in style! 

"When did you last wear this, Mom?" That'd be about 1998....?

Not shameful at all.  Pre-preg, Maternity, post-partum....  that's probably at least 4 wardrobes!  Good for you!  

It's a "Hooray for purging" booyah!!

• Like 2

It looks like we'll be using uhaul pods. It will cost roughly $200 more than our cheapest option and be way less of a hassle. One major selling point of this particular company is that we get to pick the delivery date.

Matt's making us watch The Alamo. It's awful.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Spudater said:

Hey, before I go swimming in the sea, have any of you used Apologia General Science?  I’m a little annoyed with myself after all the effort I put in tracking down and planning out Conceptual Physical Science, but after really looking at it I started to worry that it would be too hard for Lego Lass, and now she has the opportunity to do First Lego League (time consuming!) so I’m even more concerned that it would just be too much.  My original backup plan was to do McHenry’s Carbon Chem but looking at it almost every chapter has them doing a ton of internet research which I don’t want to have to supervise.  Also, after seeing how it’s been for dh teaching math to her this year I’ve given up the idea of him being able find time to help teach science.  So Apologia looked like something I could potentially handle, and I liked that if it’s working and no one is wanting a STEM degree I can just stick with it all the way through high school...I really need to cut down on the number of subjects I couture the living crap out of.  Am I going to be drowning in “experiments”?  How much Scripture is there?  I mean, I like that it’s Christian but some of 5he samples I’ve run across seem a bit cheesy, like, stop and look up in this psalm what it says about stars...I just don’t feel like it’s a good use of time in science class, I’d rather they were praying the psalms and be able to draw from a rich background of knowledge to increase their wonder, if that makes any sense.  How much of the extra shtuff did you find useful/necessary?

We are using Apologia through high school.  (And my kids aren't STEM kids either.  At least not yet.)

We have a couple of the elementary books that the kids just read through on their own.  (I'm a minimalist during the elementary years.)

The General Science book is recommended for 8th grade.  Physical Science for 9th.

Ds17 used General Science, Physical Science, Biology, Human Biology (accelerated schedule for 1/2 credit of Anatomy) and Chemistry.

Dd15 used General Science, Physical Science, Biology, and Marine Biology.  She is also planning to do Chemistry before graduation.

Dd13 is currently doing Physical Science with me.  We skipped General Science with her.  She will also do Biology and Chemistry and maybe Marine Biology or Human Biology.

Science is really not my thing.  We did buy the videos for some of the classes.

So far we haven't done as many experiments as we should have done.  I hate doing science experiments and I have zero motivation to do them.

I don't remember them being told to look up Bible verses or anything like that.  From what I can see there is a huge age gap from their elementary books to their middle and high school books.

Feel free to ask any questions.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Hey, before I go swimming in the sea, have any of you used Apologia General Science?  I’m a little annoyed with myself after all the effort I put in tracking down and planning out Conceptual Physical Science, but after really looking at it I started to worry that it would be too hard for Lego Lass, and now she has the opportunity to do First Lego League (time consuming!) so I’m even more concerned that it would just be too much.  My original backup plan was to do McHenry’s Carbon Chem but looking at it almost every chapter has them doing a ton of internet research which I don’t want to have to supervise.  Also, after seeing how it’s been for dh teaching math to her this year I’ve given up the idea of him being able find time to help teach science.  So Apologia looked like something I could potentially handle, and I liked that if it’s working and no one is wanting a STEM degree I can just stick with it all the way through high school...I really need to cut down on the number of subjects I couture the living crap out of.  Am I going to be drowning in “experiments”?  How much Scripture is there?  I mean, I like that it’s Christian but some of 5he samples I’ve run across seem a bit cheesy, like, stop and look up in this psalm what it says about stars...I just don’t feel like it’s a good use of time in science class, I’d rather they were praying the psalms and be able to draw from a rich background of knowledge to increase their wonder, if that makes any sense.  How much of the extra shtuff did you find useful/necessary?

I think the cheesy stuff is probably more in the elementary series than in the Jay Wile books.  However, iirc, there is material related to young earth in the General Sci book.  This was great for us, but you can see if it fits what you want.  Also, a lot of the first chapter (or two?) is historical information about science.  One of my history lovers ate it up - really she enjoyed the entire text.  We just really like Jay Wile a lot.  She did it at a co-op, so all experiments were done there, thank goodness!  If you want more accountability for labs - you could check and see if he offers an online class for General.  I believe his highschool level online classes require lab reports to be submitted to him.    

If you wanted to stick with physical / intro to chem and be fairly assured of Lego Lass working independently without issue, you might look at Exploration Education.  

19 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I could see “hold my beer” being our national motto.

Isn't it?

5 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I guess you're not watching the Disney Davy Crockett version.  Which version are you watching?

A very, very, very old one.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 12:07 PM, Slache said:

It would seem the majority of my IRL homeschool friends (none of which live locally) have gotten over their homeschool phase. 2 more families are enrolling in school this year. This leaves 2 families out of 8, both of which are traveling missionaries. Is this common?

Yup.  For a very long time I was the only IRL person who was homeschooling someone older than 4th grade.

• Sad 1