Menu

Ignore this thread!

It would seem the majority of my IRL homeschool friends (none of which live locally) have gotten over their homeschool phase. 2 more families are enrolling in school this year. This leaves 2 families out of 8, both of which are traveling missionaries. Is this common?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Me too! Mary took it so the angle is all funny and the whole thing is just great. If only my house was clean.

Sweetheart, your house is pristine compared to mine.  The JW's who have been coming to my house for years rang the doorbell this morning.  In a foolhardy moment I invited them in and moved tons of camp prep items off of chairs so that they could sit.  (The thing is, in the all the years they've been coming, they haven't once seen my house actually clean. . . )  But there is always something that comes at a higher priority to house work:  camp prep at the moment, giving the gospel to others this morning (hey, they asked to talk about God. . .), school prep or school itself, doing something with my kids, pets. . .   Dh used to think that housework should have a higher priority.  Silly man.  He's finally given up.  (Poor man)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Slache said:

It would seem the majority of my IRL homeschool friends (none of which live locally) have gotten over their homeschool phase. 2 more families are enrolling in school this year. This leaves 2 families out of 8, both of which are traveling missionaries. Is this common?

Yes.  Common.  But there are people like me who homeschool K - 12. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Slache said:

Around here it’s very common. There’s a pretty big Christian school in this small town and a lot of people send their kids there for high school. I don’t know anyone who homeschools past 8th grade.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Paige said:

My house is unsafe for Baby. He lives in the Funzone, aka baby cage/superyard, or in someone's arms, or sometimes DH lets him roam following close behind, but all our baby proofing efforts are futile. We have too many people who leave stuff out because we've gotten lazy, our house's open floorplan is not compatible with baby gates, and we have too much stuff. I've tried baby proofing but some things can't be fixed, like our stairway and fireplace, and others are a constant battle, like kids putting cups on tables. Putting cups on tables is not unreasonable, but now he's big enough to reach them and if you aren't there he'll pull it down. He's mostly happy in the Funzone for now, but I know that with his new walking abilities, he's going to feel cooped up.

When DS was a baby, we went very minimalistic so the house was safe for him and kept it up through the other kids' babyhoods. I'm thinking we need to do a massive decluttering, Konmari, purge, etc of our house and stuff so Baby can live free. We've gotten too sloppy and relaxed. What's your favorite inspiring home organization book or plan? I need something that will motivate DH and the kids in snippets and summaries because they will not read. 

How do you put gates on open stairways with wiggle through gaps? 

We have an utterly un-gateable staircase about four feet from DS's bedroom door. We had a carpenter convert his door to a Dutch door and reverse the knob, so we could choose whether to have the top half open and use it as a gate or bolt both halves together and use it as a door. Only works with solid doors, but that's what we had.

Do y'all have reusable water bottles everybody could use instead of cups for a little while? Or could you try paying a big kid to be the Cup Fairy and take away all cups that have been left unsupervised?

Happy Nirthday, dear Ikslo! [insert party emoticons here]

I just had to pay almost as much for cleats that fit will DS as it costs for him to play the whole season of soccer at the Y. Hello, men's wide sizes. Where is svengo when we need him??

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I'm sure I missed a ton of things - I haven't read this thread in forever. I have read a 300-something page dissertation on Schizoid Personality Disorder (my best friend (yay, I have a best friend... last time I had a best friend was in elementary school, since then I've mostly had acquaintances) mentioned he thinks he has that, and it reminded me that I thought I might have it when I was in high school, and anyway, I read way too much about it, some of it makes sense, some not, conclusion, I don't fit neatly into any boxes). I've been too addicted to a computer game. I've spent 36 hours in a psych ER, where it took only 27 hours to be seen by a psychiatrist and another 9 to actually get out of there, all because my pdoc prescribed Effexor and it made me crazy so I wanted to wean off it but she wouldn't just call in a half dose on the weekend but told me to go to the ER instead... big mistake, since they cold turkey took me off all my meds and didn't do anything other than bill me hundreds of dollars worth. Anyway, I think that about sums things up. What have I missed?

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I told Celery to think of a new name for his school because apparently I needed to update my signature since he's in 6th grade now, which isn't elementary school anymore... Also, I need to do IHIPs. Broccoli finished Rosetta Stone Dutch the other day, Celery is almost done. And we're thinking of maybe buying an RV at some point this year and starting touring North America or w/e starting in May or so. 

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

We have an utterly un-gateable staircase about four feet from DS's bedroom door. We had a carpenter convert his door to a Dutch door and reverse the knob, so we could choose whether to have the top half open and use it as a gate or bolt both halves together and use it as a door. Only works with solid doors, but that's what we had.

Do y'all have reusable water bottles everybody could use instead of cups for a little while? Or could you try paying a big kid to be the Cup Fairy and take away all cups that have been left unsupervised?

Happy Nirthday, dear Ikslo! [insert party emoticons here]

I just had to pay almost as much for cleats that fit will DS as it costs for him to play the whole season of soccer at the Y. Hello, men's wide sizes. Where is svengo when we need him??

We buy new Contigo water bottles once a year. We have cups for company and mugs for coffee and tea.

• Like 2

I got packages today. Not school stuff. A trampoline.   There's nothing for my kids to do. We don't have a pool, our fort/swingset is old and not in great shape and the kids are getting a little old for it. So, I insisted we get a trampoline.  And we did. Sometimes, a mom has to put her foot down.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Sorry for all of that er stuff!  Effexor made me want to die.

It made it impossible for me to think. I ended up getting super frustrated because I couldn't think. It made me less depressed, but... I like being able to think.

• Like 4

❤️❤️ ((( Luuknam ))) ❤️❤️

So good to hear from you!  Things here are coming along. Jean’s getting ready for camp. It’s hot in central California and TX. Critter is writing. Slache survived her inlaws and wants your input on where she should move. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Nevermind that last bit, luuknam. 

Congratulations!  Where in TX?  

Probably San Antonio.

• Job market
  • Affordability (COL and home prices)
  • Airport has inexpensive, direct flights to all parents
  • Matt loves it there
  • Distance from beach
  • Attractions including 6 flags, sea world, museums, zoo, history

Other options are Dallas and Austin but they aren't as fun and if we have no reason to choose one over the other we're going with the beach and six flags.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I took the family to the pond across the street where we played and fed ducks when I was growing up and then walked to my Jr. high school. 

The weather is awesome here. 

My dad can hold conversations in Somali. Who woulda thunkit?

more coffee!

Coffee is good.

How is it that your dad knows Somali?

• Like 1

Good morning/night, 9.30am here, got up at the ungodly time of 5.45 to look out for the eclipse, but the moon wasn’t even visible. Dragged girls out of bed for swim training and orchestra rehearsal (the bloke has taken them today). Took another hour or two to get teen boy up so he can make me coffee. Nagged him to clean out his trombone more regularly after reading an article about the disgusting stuff that can grow inside of brass instruments. Evil dog dug a muddy hole and got totally filthy right after I had washed him off. Have my schoolwork to do for the rest of today in between laundry and other boring stuff meditative tasks.

Sorry you’re tired and achey Slache ?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Coffee is good.

How is it that your dad knows Somali?

It seems to me that he worked with a lot of Somalians at the airport a few years back and he must have picked it up there. 

11 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Hi. I am tired. And achy. So I am vegetating until Slache starts to nag me about  my steps. 

Veggies are good for you. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

He didn’t learn until late in life (in his mid-60’s) that he had a knack for picking up languages. Or maybe the knack didn’t kick in until then. He also speaks Hebrew and some Chinese.  ?

I love him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

He didn’t learn until late in life (in his mid-60’s) that he had a knack for picking up languages. Or maybe the knack didn’t kick in until then. He also speaks Hebrew and some Chinese.  ?

That is really awesome. I can't pick up languages to save my life. It is all just..... nonsense to me. 

• Like 2

Happy nirthday, Ikslo!

I am tired. I am also sick. I expect to have no voice tomorrow at the rate I am going. Summer colds are the worst. Going to edit in bed with hard copy and then go to bed. Work tomorrow,  but I might nap afterwards. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

That is really awesome. I can't pick up languages to save my life. It is all just..... nonsense to me. 

Me either!

3 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Can I go to bed yet?  I've been up since 5:30 if that counts.

Yes. 

2 hours ago, Slache said:

YES!

I concur.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LauraBeth475 said:

I spent something like three hours today picking a student planner for my kids.  

I may need help.

I cannot relate to this in any way shape or form and will absolutely not do the exact same thing for my kids in a few years.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I have a burning desire to spend many hours researching home ed stuff. This may or may not have something to do with the fact that I have a major assignment for uni due in tomorrow.

@ Junie I hope your Ms.15 thoroughly enjoyed her camp and is also happy to be home

• Like 6