Menu

Ignore this thread!

I have spent over an hour fighting with the validate window for my camp project. I may lose this year simply due to technical difficulties. I hate, hate, hate, fighting my internet, my phone, and a website at the same time. Blech.

I may go to the river and sulk today, but I need to print out another chapter and bring it with me to work. Sigh.

• Sad 2

51 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Tuesday!!!

We’re Doing VBS again today. I volunteered to teach the memory verse so last night the girls and I went to the Dollar Tree and got stuff for a prize box.

Hot and smoky again today. I’m not sure how much of the fires have made national news, but the Carr Fire, way up in Northern California is really really bad. We aren’t getting that smoke, our smoke is from the fire by Yosemite and the one in Sequoia, but the Carr Fire is just a monster and it’s actually in a city, as opposed to the mountains, where some of the other fires are. 

My friend's family and friends are all in Redding. It's pretty brutal. ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I have spent over an hour fighting with the validate window for my camp project. I may lose this year simply due to technical difficulties. I hate, hate, hate, fighting my internet, my phone, and a website at the same time. Blech.

I may go to the river and sulk today, but I need to print out another chapter and bring it with me to work. Sigh.

You're still a winner in our book!  Stupid tech!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Slache said:

I'm not the fun one either.

We're moving before I can climb Mount St Helens or Hood. I need a new fitness goal to train for. Idears? Susan?

You could train to do all 15 miles of the Mission trail in one day: https://www.sara-tx.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/SARIP-Full-Map-2017-web11.pdf  It takes you through all of the Missions along the San Antonio river. It's actually kind of cool (though not literally--plan to do this between November and May!).

Just now, prairiewindmomma said:

You could train to do all 15 miles of the Mission trail in one day: https://www.sara-tx.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/SARIP-Full-Map-2017-web11.pdf  It takes you through all of the Missions along the San Antonio river. It's actually kind of cool (though not literally--plan to do this between November and May!).

Me likey!

Not putting anyone with a different personality/ priorities down but I love to play.  I had toys even before I had kids.  I am known as the "grandma" at the Y who goes down the slide at the pool.  It wasn't always easy to play with my kids (due to pain stuff) but it was a priority for me.  Play is important to kids.  And connecting to my kids through play was important to me.  Even with my teens I play when allowed.  (In fact, on Runescape a lot of kids sought out this weird middle aged mom to talk to and go on quests because their moms would never do something like that with them and it was something that I think they craved.  (I lose in all the housekeeping and academic rigor contests though.) 

• Like 4

Back from the river. I felt okay there, but still very stressed without good cause. I might need to go again tomorrow.:biggrin: 

Now I get to have so much fun with my phone. After it tries to find service, then has to come back to crummy internet and no cell signal, it will sulk for about an hour before I get any kind of use out of it. Pathetic. Right now it is struggling to send a text message because I won't go wave it around on the front porch. I might as well go back to living under my rock.

Still need to get the homeschool form sent in, but the phone has to cooperate first.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, egao_gakari said:

? sleeeeeepy. Still couch-sleeping bc poor DH just can't sleep from rib pain and his wakefulness keeps me up.

Had a chat with DH last night where he commented that he'd love to see me playing with the kids more, as opposed to educating, delegating tasks, and generally being Boss Mom. Sigh. Guilty as charged. I am not the world's most playful person to be honest... I was a bit isolated as a child and the things that kids do for fun just really aren't fun for me. But I know this is an area where my stepmothering game needs serious improvement. I don't want DS and DD to grow up with zero memories of having fun with me. So today I'm gonna try to come up with one thing to invite each kid to do together. Things they would want to do rather than what I'd choose. I think I can, I think I can.

I'm not a fun mom either. When I try to play they look at me like I am nuts. I wasn't a fun kid either. I like puzzles, board games, and logic games.

Not imaginary play. I used to pretend to be the dad when my sister roped me into "house". Then I would go to the kitchen and eat chips. I just feel like life has so much drama and bull already, why make more? 

I also like art. It is kind of solitary but we can be solitary together.

I do like exploring though, and enjoy hiking and exploring with the kids.

That is as fun as I get.

• Like 3

One thing I am learning is that it’s important to be ourselves. And let that be ok. So our kids can see that it’s ok to be themselves.  DH plays games with the kids. I don’t. But I have committed myself to look at them when they are talking to me (look up from the device or whatever is occupying me) and give them a real answer. And just be the best me I can be.

• Like 6

We are back from VBS.  The children are very poor and it shows on their faces. But they are sweet and all of us helpers are finding  Our niche. I am the Bible Verse lady. I teach them the day’s verse and if they can recite it to me sometime during the Morning they can pick something from the Treasure Chest.

• Like 3

I'm torn about whether or not to buy the new Notgrass American history curriculum. The reason I want it is because it is everything that John wants with all the sides that Mary wants but after we did story of the world this year with the workbook and decided to just read it instead I am afraid we will decide a true history curriculum is not for us. The sale ends in 6 hours.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I spent about fifteen minutes helping clean up after Harry Potter's birthday party at the library. Good Lord, the glitter! Reminded me why I am so not a crafts mom. I love art, just not the crafts part!  

Art and crafts are two different things. There is no glitter in my home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Slache said:

Still tired.

My kids are mean. They get me up at 7.

Why? Going home?

Yes!  I'm home now, and reunited with my iPad.  :wub:

14 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Harry Potter’s Birthday!

What?  Today?!?

13 hours ago, Slache said:

I'm not the fun one either.

We're moving before I can climb Mount St Helens or Hood. I need a new fitness goal to train for. Idears? Susan?

Um.  All this training and fitness eventing is simply leading up to the ultimate goal.  Do you remember what that is?  (Not the Barkley - that's for crazy people.)

The Via Alpina Purple trail; starting at A24 (the medieval monastery library) and ending at A66.  Then we visit a viehscheid festival and the Bavarian castles.  

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

i’ve Been laying around all afternoon doing nothing. Hmph.

I've been sitting in a chair, gliding in and out of several states.  I read a bit and did stuff on the phone a bit and drank coffee and pushed pedals and moved a wheel around a bit.

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

Would you leave an 8 month old for a week to take your older children on vacation?

Home alone?  Definitely not!  I've seen that movie.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Slache said:

Leave her with the neighbors to spend a week at Disney World.

Maybe.  Disney is really not fun with a baby.

We went to Disney World when we only had 3 kids.  They were 4, 2, and 6 months.  

The only way I was able to enjoy it is because my parents were there.

The 6-month old was not old enough to ride many of the rides, so if a main part of the vacation was to ride with the older kids, it doesn't really work with a baby.  One of the parents has to skip the ride and take care of the baby, while the rest of the family spends 30 minutes to 2 hours waiting in line and riding.  Then you go to the next ride, switch parents, and repeat.

My mom took care of the baby so that dh and I could ride with the other two kids.  It would have been horrible really hard if it was just us.  Plus, the baby remembers nothing.

The situation you're talking about might be different, but it might also be ok.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Um.  All this training and fitness eventing is simply leading up to the ultimate goal.  Do you remember what that is?  (Not the Barkley - that's for crazy people.)

Lose 200 pounds, I have 80 left. That's too big though. I need small goals to help me get there. I've done 5Ks, long hikes, Mount St Helens and complete certain programs like P90X and Insanity.

38 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I had root beer for dinner.  I think the 2nd time this year I've had soda if you count a root beer float.  It was yummy.

Root beer has wintergreen in it.

42 minutes ago, Junie said:

The situation you're talking about might be different, but it might also be ok.

I just wouldn't and wondered if most would.

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Would you leave an 8 month old for a week to take your older children on vacation?

Only if:

1. Baby was not nursed

2. Baby was well attached to a live-in member of the household who was staying behind (granny, father, etc.).  

3. If paid daycare was part of the picture, I'd be ok, but only in limited situations (ie--dad was staying behind to work, nanny came to the house as part of the usual routine). 

I'd be more inclined to pay a college aged friend to accompany us on the trip. We'd give her her own hotel room (if a friend wanted to join her) or room at the Air BnB, and evenings off. That way she could accompany us during the day, I could ride what rides I wanted to with my kids, but we could have quiet evenings to rest and she could Uber wherever she wanted to to do her own thing. 

If you're paying for a week at Disney World, in all likelihood you're dropping at least $6k to go.  

I took a 8 week old to Disney World. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Slache said:

Depends. With a loving, healthy grandparent to go on a special-opportunity trip? Possibly.

At John and Mary's age? Hmm. Probably not. Risk vs reward ratio is off for older sibs who are still relatively unreliable (no offense). I might consider it to take a high school or middle school student on an educational or once-in-a-lifetime trip though.

As others have said, mine were nursing at that age. So it is hard to imagine. But I was lucky that I got mine close together as planned so I would try to be understanding if someone I knew left an infant.

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Slache said:

Leave her with the neighbors to spend a week at Disney World.

I wouldn’t do it, but my parents left me to do something similar. They left me with my grandmother when I was under a year to take my brother to Disney World. I’m obviously still bitter and damaged! 

Just kidding...I’m sure my grandmother was fine and some people’s friends are more like family than their own family. I got sick of hearing about it as I grew up! I wasn’t a breastfed infant. I would never leave any of mine at that age because of the risk of early weaning.

I left DS with his grandparents for a trip with DH when he was about 14 mos, however. I have changed as a mother and can’t believe I did that but he was fine. It was only for a weekend and I pumped because he was still nursing. He was mad at me when I got home but I don’t think it made him wean completely any earlier than he would have anyway. He was probably half milk/half me at the time.

• Like 3