Menu

Ignore this thread!

I'm sorry. I know in our family that would mean MIL was coming no matter what. Could you plan to leave MIL with the kids and go off with DH for a day or two if she comes? 

She's coming the week of Thanksgiving. Whew.

Happy birthday!

And, that means you're not the youngest person on this thread, as you claimed you were many many pages ago. I mean, you turned 33, yes? 

Also, I have internet!! 

I turn 32 on December 17th. Renai knows I'm a Sagittarius so she knew I was joking.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 4

I turn 32 on December 17th. Renai knows I'm a Sagittarius so she knew I was joking.

Oh, okay. I guess I must have misinterpreted your age from whichever post - not going to dig it up now. Or maybe you were joking about it way back when too. So, you might still be the youngest person on this thread (no clue how old Southern Ivy is). 

My birthday is in 51 days (like my profile says), and I actually *am* turning 33. I like very compressed carbon too. And I didn't start the listing of when parents got married, no matter what y'all say. I started with when my parents were born. Completely different thing. My parents got married in 1978, I think? Not 100% sure - this happened years before I was born, when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth. I know the younger set of my grandparents got married in 1950, because my grandfather was born in 1925 and married in 1950 and something else in 1975 iirc - he once made some comment about doing important things 25 years apart. 

Someone (Susan in TN maybe?) mentioned some theory about how your generation/the year you were born in is only one factor, and that your parents' generation matters too. I wonder if your grandparents' generations matter also. Like, for example, I'm Gen Y, and my grandparents are from the Greatest Generation (though two of them are classified as Silent Generation by some sources), whereas there are other people my exact same age whose grandparents are Baby Boomers, i.e. 2 generations later.

• Like 1

We hunted for fossils today, in a tropical sea 20 degrees south of the equator, 380 million years ago, which was the Devonian, which is about 150 million years before dinosaurs. That tropical sea is now just to the south of Buffalo, NY. We found a whole bunch of little fossils - some fossil shells, some fossil corals, some trilobites, and some fossilized worm trails. http://www.penndixie.org

• Like 6

Someone (Susan in TN maybe?) mentioned some theory about how your generation/the year you were born in is only one factor, and that your parents' generation matters too. I wonder if your grandparents' generations matter also. Like, for example, I'm Gen Y, and my grandparents are from the Greatest Generation (though two of them are classified as Silent Generation by some sources), whereas there are other people my exact same age whose grandparents are Baby Boomers, i.e. 2 generations later.

My parents are/were in the Greatest Generation.  I'm a baby boomer.  I'm also (I believe) the same age as Slache's mother. 

• Like 5

You miss gems that way.

I actually do read them. I just sometimes want to write TL;DR.

An interesting note:  the "generational" differences (the differences due to the times and not due to levels of maturity) don't seem to follow the generations arbitrarily defined by the Census (baby boomers, generation X, etc.) so much as they seem to follow when the parents of the generations or individuals being compared were growing up.  Many people of my sister's so-called generation had parents younger than my sister, so they tend to be surprised by some of the things she, their contemporary, does.

As for me, I'm on the cusp between two Census-designated generations.  I refuse to be categorized so easily.   :laugh:

So, apparently it was AMJ. Fun fact: according to Pew, 43% of people born between 1981 and 1988 self-identify as Gen X. And most people born between 1981 and 2000 hate the word 'Millennials'.

• Like 2

I'm back early. To eat some crow.

Renai pointed out something to me in a pm that made me understand where the misunderstanding probably was.

Because I had just been talking about my beliefs as a Catholic, when Paige said "the church" I assumed she was talking specifically and only about the Catholic church rather than the church in general. It felt like a slam and I couldn't understand why no one else saw it that way, and as you know if you saw my thread on the chat board this has not been a great week where that would have been easy to shake off. I suppose I have my own trigger in that area as well bc of things happening internally in the Catholic church (trads being called rigid, etc) that are very painful to me.

So, Paige, I'm sorry for misunderstanding you and getting angry with you. ITT, I'm sorry for being unplpleasant and cussing.

We're glad you're back.

• Like 1

Mom (92) gave the scammer her bank account information.  And her credit card number.  And her social security number.  :svengo: :svengo: The only reason she told my sister is because she needed a ride to the bank where she was going to physically withdraw money for the person (who never showed).  The man told her not to tell anyone and Mom took that instruction seriously even though she refuses to listen to those of us in her family.  She no longer has her checkbook or her credit card as my sister has taken those.  The bank account has been changed.  The credit card has been changed.  The social security number has a fraud watch on it.  Mom still has no real idea that what she did was wrong.  My sister said that she really lost it with mom (she understands that Mom doesn't understand what she's doing).  Mom was sharp as a tack until 90 and I think we still tend to think of her that way.

I am home from work. I wish I had time for a nap, but will probably have to settle for an early bedtime. 

I found out I have a busier summer ahead of me than I expected. I wish I didn't have to be busy in the summer. I have next to no energy, I shun the sun like a vampire, and my mood is never the stuff of angels. More like the stuff of the hot place.

My calendar looks like a toddler scribbled on it there's so much on there.

I have COFFEE!!,☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ And I'm cutting out fabric for my quilt. And half-watching early episodes of TGW. I need something that I know what's going on without paying attention. This is my favorite episode.... The one where Peter hires Eli. (First season). It is hilarious.

I am home from work. I wish I had time for a nap, but will probably have to settle for an early bedtime.

I found out I have a busier summer ahead of me than I expected. I wish I didn't have to be busy in the summer. I have next to no energy, I shun the sun like a vampire, and my mood is never the stuff of angels. More like the stuff of the hot place.

My calendar looks like a toddler scribbled on it there's so much on there.

JJM - Critter needs the flamethrower turned on her calendar.
  • Like 2

I spent 4 hrs power washing biofilm off the driveway and sidewalk. My hand is going to be in a permanent claw shape.

what is biofilm and why is it on your driveway???

And this is a Biofilm Booya/h

Because I'm feeling altogether alliterative.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 7

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Let's go run away and visit Renai together!  We can swing by Critter's on the way and pick her up, and then Renai can show us her rivers and waterfalls.

We have a waterfall too. Not sure if y'all have heard of it though, since it's about as obscure as Cape Cod. It's called the Niagara Falls (and there is a river too - the Niagara River). 

• Like 8

She's coming the week of Thanksgiving. Whew.

I had a brain cramp and was trying to remember if you were Sagittarius, because of wanting to know all the things. :lol:  I'm glad I wasn't wrong, even if my memory is failing. I hate being wrong.  :laugh:

• Like 3

I had my crown fixed (ish) today.  I took ds to TKD.  I went to Staples to get a crazy amount printed/copied for next school year.  This took about 3 or 4 hours of driving total.  I have had a nap.  I am still exhausted.

So it was you! (my wife got a call from fraud alert about someone trying to spend $50-something at Staples with her card - though technically I think that was maybe 2 days earlier than this post). 

I might try to defend the statement about logic in Consider This, but I'm too tired to do it right now.  Because my theological views hold that humans are fallen sinners, I believe that our own attempts at logical thinking are susceptible to distortion and deception and therefore we should not trust it blindly just because we have slapped the "logic" label on it.  I should probably re-read pg. 79 before I say more.  

The logic can be right, but if you put garbage in, you'll get garbage out. 

• Like 3

I have COFFEE!!,☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ And I'm cutting out fabric for my quilt. And half-watching early episodes of TGW. I need something that I know what's going on without paying attention. This is my favorite episode.... The one where Peter hires Eli. (First season). It is hilarious.

What's TGW?

DH-What do we want to have for supper?

Me-I don't know. I might have nothing.

DH-I'll make a peanut butter sandwich. I like those.

Me-Or I guess I could make a ham, egg and cheese sandwich. We have ham.

DH-Oh, I'll have one of those.

Yeah, buddy.

• Like 3

What's TGW?

The Good Wife. I have a thing for those kind of shows.....until they get too nutty and then I quit watching. Usually I make it through about 3-4 seasons. I think I watched that one for about 4-5 seasons and then it got weird. Well, really weird. It was already weird.
  • Like 1

DH-What do we want to have for supper?

Me-I don't know. I might have nothing.

DH-I'll make a peanut butter sandwich. I like those.

Me-Or I guess I could make a ham, egg and cheese sandwich. We have ham.

DH-Oh, I'll have one of those.

Yeah, buddy.

Reading really fast, I read "I could make him a ham, egg, peanut butter, and cheese sandwich." 

I got a little sick. 

emoji10.jpg

• Like 1

Mom (92) gave the scammer her bank account information.  And her credit card number.  And her social security number.  :svengo: :svengo: The only reason she told my sister is because she needed a ride to the bank where she was going to physically withdraw money for the person (who never showed).  The man told her not to tell anyone and Mom took that instruction seriously even though she refuses to listen to those of us in her family.  She no longer has her checkbook or her credit card as my sister has taken those.  The bank account has been changed.  The credit card has been changed.  The social security number has a fraud watch on it.  Mom still has no real idea that what she did was wrong.  My sister said that she really lost it with mom (she understands that Mom doesn't understand what she's doing).  Mom was sharp as a tack until 90 and I think we still tend to think of her that way.

That is so scary. It could happen to anyone's parents or grandparents.  :grouphug:  :grouphug: For you and your mom. 

• Like 1

You know how historic buildings in Europe and elsewhere have this grime on them? Here if you don't powerwash your sidewalks every year or two, that builds up.

I never had to powerwash our sidewalks when we lived North.

It's much the same algae, etc as what forms on brick in perennially wet places.

We had that algae this winter on the sidewalk on the north side of our house. Never got that before, but since we got so much rain this year, that sidewalk was always green and slimy.

Note to self:  start catching up from post 98125, page 1963.  Hmm, I missed out on the page that corresponds to my birth year!

Back from the recital.  I was backstage for the bulk of the recital AND the dress rehearsal before it, but I did get to go join the audience while DD was on stage.  They did a great job!

I wasn't supposed to volunteer during the recital itself, but I did as a last-minute thing.  As it turns out I was the only adult willing to say anything to three different dance classes' worth of unattended kids that were running wild in the dressing room.  I walked otherwise unattended kids to the water fountain.  And the restroom.  I tied endless shoes, and attached endless shoe fobs.  I assisted with costume changes.  I kept kids from climbing on the shelves built to hold tubas, kept them from banging on the drums, and forbade playing hide-and-seek in the xylophones.  (Our "dressing room" was the high school's band room.)

At the end DH texted me, "See you at my folks' house!"  (DD wanted to sleep over with cousins who were down visiting.)  I nixed that immediately -- I didn't want to drive all the way out to their place only to turn around and drive back past where we were to get home.  Instead we did a hand-off of DD in the lobby.

I decided I deserved a Starbuck's treat, so I got one on the way home.

Now I'm going to bed.  If I can manage to get up early enough I'm going to a nice, quiet blueberry farm to get friendly with some bushes in the early morning light.

• Like 6