Menu

Ignore this thread!

The boys have the puppies out again for another evening run. I bothered the chickens this evening and all four of the little dogs defended the chicken house by "barking loudly" when the rooster gave his alert and alarm call. Good guard dogs!

:hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 1

That's what I thought too, but Wikipedia says that's wrong, and Wikipedia is always right. Which is why I posted that my grandparents are from the Greatest Generation, though the youngest two would be considered Silent Generation by some sources (Greatest is from about 1901 to mid-to-late 1920s, and Silent is from mid-to-late 1920s to early-to-mid 1940s - iirc, my grandparents were born in 1911, 1914, 1925, and 1927, though I'm not 100% sure on that first one - might have been 1912).

No, we post on every page, silly.

Then my parents are still from the Greatest generation.

• Like 1

So, earlier after DH got back to ILs' house after bringing me home the kids got even louder, especially my niece.  It got so bad my normally loud and exuberant SIL hollered for them to quiet down.  She apparently told them that if they get any louder Aunt AMJ would be calling on the phone to complain the kids were too loud again -- from a 25 minute drive away.

I'm amused, but otherwise unsure about that comment.  

• Like 4

Our state only allows permits for two years.

I don't remember the exact details, but in Texas, instead of renewing my permit when it expired, they gave me a driver's license with a restriction that said that there needed to be a licensed driver (iirc 21+) in the passenger seat. So, basically the same as a learner's permit, except it didn't *look* like a learner's permit... you'd have to look carefully at the restrictions and then flip it over and read the fine print what that letter meant. Because it was an actual driver's license though, I convinced my parents to take me for a spin when visiting them in NL one winter break, whereas iirc Dutch law says that you cannot drive with a foreign learner's permit (we went to a deserted industrial area at 10pm or something... we figured it was too much of a gray area to actually let me drive for reals in real traffic, at least not without consulting with a lawyer first... since it was obviously going against the spirit of the law, if maybe not the letter of the law (and not 100% sure about the latter)). As a side note, in NL, parents can't teach their kids to drive - only driving schools can.

Then my parents are still from the Greatest generation.

Somehow saying my Dad was in the Silent Generation just doesn't seem to fit.  His family was always quite LOUD.

• Like 4

I don't remember the exact details, but in Texas, instead of renewing my permit when it expired, they gave me a driver's license with a restriction that said that there needed to be a licensed driver (iirc 21+) in the passenger seat. So, basically the same as a learner's permit, except it didn't *look* like a learner's permit... you'd have to look carefully at the restrictions and then flip it over and read the fine print what that letter meant. Because it was an actual driver's license though, I convinced my parents to take me for a spin when visiting them in NL one winter break, whereas iirc Dutch law says that you cannot drive with a foreign learner's permit (we went to a deserted industrial area at 10pm or something... we figured it was too much of a gray area to actually let me drive for reals in real traffic, at least not without consulting with a lawyer first... since it was obviously going against the spirit of the law, if maybe not the letter of the law (and not 100% sure about the latter)). As a side note, in NL, parents can't teach their kids to drive - only driving schools can.

What if one or both parents work for or own a driving school?

Oh, dear!   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  to scared friend.

I bet she won't agree to doing that again any time soon!

What did her parents say?

I don't know. She probably didn't tell them since she was afraid of getting in trouble. There's equal fault between the girls, IMO. DD should never have hid her in the closet, and friend knew she wasn't supposed to be in the house. I'm going to have DD write her an apology note and maybe make her a little something. 

We've had problems in the past with her ignoring me when I say they can't play. Hopefully that problem is solved! I really felt sorry for her when we found her. 

• Like 4

What if one or both parents work for or own a driving school?

I'd imagine they can. My point was, it's not like the US. People with learner's permits can only drive with actual driving instructors (and I think maybe only in those special cars that have brakes on the passenger side too and all that). 

Edited because I can't spell.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

Has he tried to take the written test? 

No, but we have an app with practice tests and he fails on the easy level. I think if he studied he could pass fairly quickly because most of it is common sense. He can walk most places he wants to go, but he'll hate doing that in the summer when it's hot with all his stuff. I anticipate that if I have to enforce my no more rides for him policy that he'll be ready to take the test PDQ. I only wish that he'd not force my hand every time. 

• Like 2

Oh that reminds me of the other reason we waited. In our state before the age of 18 you have to go to a driving school. Driving schools all cost $500. At age 18 you can be taught by another licensed driver- like a parent.

• Like 2

Talk to your doc about anti-emetics.  I was badly nauseated for the first 4 1/2 months of my first pregnancy -- lost 15 lbs in the first trimester.  I couldn't even keep down pills, so my doc prescribed me Zofran oral dissolve tablets.  They taste foul and the generic that is available tastes even worse, and they caused significant constipation, but they were the only thing keeping me out of the emergency room (did that a few times to get fluids through an IV because I couldn't keep down water).  The tablets are expensive, but I found taking one every 2 or 3 days was enough to help me keep down some food and water.

When pregnancy #2 came around my doc put me on those again at the first week-long bout of nausea.

My DH also took to cooking everything outside on the grill -- even pots of soup -- because any aromas could set me off.  When we went to his folks' house "for dinner" I hid upstairs and they brought some mild food to me up there.

I had some meds earlier in the pregnancy that worked well, and I took zofran with my other pregnancies, but I ran out a few weeks ago and had been feeling so much better than I didn't think I needed more. Something about today hit me hard, though. I don't know if it's the weather, something in the air, or something else. 

We didn't have coke, but Dr Pepper helped. 

• Like 2

So, I am in a bit of a funk. My house is in shambles and I'm gaining back the weight I lost and I just don't feel like I have control over anything. Keeping the house neat is an exercise in futility. My kids are pigs. And I do really well for a while on Low carb, but then.... DH and I went out last night to our favorite restaurant, which happens to be a Mexican restaurant and I just don't want to have to be all weird about food. I just want to eat, dang it!! And we had Baskin Robbins for dessert. And then today, I started out good and then by mid-afternoon it all went downhill and now I'm looking at the wreck that is my house and I'm in a carbohydrate euphoria and wondering if I'm gonna be some fat lady living in a pig sty all my life!!

Ok, well, complaining over. Now, back to your regularly scheduled ITT!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

Oh that reminds me of the other reason we waited. In our state before the age of 18 you have to go to a driving school. Driving schools all cost $500. At age 18 you can be taught by another licensed driver- like a parent.

In NL you can't even take lessons if you're under 18. I looked up the details, and it will cost the average person about 2000 euros to get their driver's license (which is why when I moved to Texas I'd never been behind the wheel). 

But when is "later"? Also, just so I don't forget what this is about, it's about Mr. Nicky.

I just googled! Thanks for the reminder. Can you remind me again at the end of August, please? Okay, thanks!

It's a Booyah for Mr. Nicky!

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 2

We did drivers Ed through our high school. My poor dad tried to teach me how to drive a little before, but even out on the country roads he wouldn't let me go faster than 35 mph.😬. Then, when I got to real drivers training and I'm putting along at 35 mph and Mr. B is like, "ok, Kristen, take it up to speed now..." And I'm like, "...but my dad never let me go faster than 35mph". He thought that was pretty funny. Especially since he knew my dad.

• Like 4

We did drivers Ed through our high school. My poor dad tried to teach me how to drive a little before, but even out on the country roads he wouldn't let me go faster than 35 mph.😬. Then, when I got to real drivers training and I'm putting along at 35 mph and Mr. B is like, "ok, Kristen, take it up to speed now..." And I'm like, "...but my dad never let me go faster than 35mph". He thought that was pretty funny. Especially since he knew my dad.

My dad would say, "It's the speed limit! You shouldn't approach the limit." 

I just googled! Thanks for the reminder. Can you remind me again at the end of August, please? Okay, thanks!

Yeah... maybe not. We'll see. Eventually I'll come across this as I ketchup.

IIRC, my truck driving course at a CC in TX cost $2000... And in NL, a year of university costs about E2000 iirc as well. Regular driving lessons in NL are just really expensive... for one, since parents can't teach, that doesn't keep the costs down the way it does in the US, and aside from that, they're a lot more serious about safety and doing a good job, what with millions of bicycles on the road all over the place and stuff (there are more bicycles than people in NL, unlike the US, where there are more cars than people, iirc). 

I did not get my license until I was 21. You can't get your license in Japan until you are 18. And you have to go to drivers school. And I have been told that it is impossible to get your license on the first try. (The insinuation was that the driving schools did this on purpose to get more money. ). So I waited until I was in the US and had a friend teach me during college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

OMG. DD (9) has had her friend stuck in a closet for almost 3 hours! We told them that they couldn't play because DD had homework but she snuck her in and she has been hiding. We found little friend scared and crying. :crying:

:crying: poor friend!

For the record, I strongly endorse making sure the kids learn to drive asap. It's no fun being married and living in a town with a population of about 1200 with no public transport and being pregnant and having to have your spouse do all the driving (actually, by that point I was so close to getting my license - but the 9 month 24/7 morning sickness wasn't helping with parallel parking). It wasn't super fun living in Dallas and either having to have my spouse drive me places or bicycle on 6+ lane roads in 100+F weather, but at least it was possible. 

• Like 1

Oh, Heather! That really stinks! I have never had to deal with that situation, and I hope that I never will. Yuck.

FWIW, I like the approach that you and your husband came up with. Truly, I think that this will be a "less is more" situation. Any detail that you provide can be disputed and can be a wedge. I'd stick with the option of letting him explain how he managed to be expelled from a home that is warm and welcoming to a whole bunch of OTHER kids. He'll have to actually come up with an explanation, not just an altered version of what you tell his mom.

And then you should have chocolate and wine.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

That is so funny that you said that. We were just sitting here talking and came up with a modified plan that accounts for that lol. I will share tomorrow. I think I need some tea :lol:

• Like 3

So, I am in a bit of a funk. My house is in shambles and I'm gaining back the weight I lost and I just don't feel like I have control over anything. Keeping the house neat is an exercise in futility. My kids are pigs. And I do really well for a while on Low carb, but then.... DH and I went out last night to our favorite restaurant, which happens to be a Mexican restaurant and I just don't want to have to be all weird about food. I just want to eat, dang it!! And we had Baskin Robbins for dessert. And then today, I started out good and then by mid-afternoon it all went downhill and now I'm looking at the wreck that is my house and I'm in a carbohydrate euphoria and wondering if I'm gonna be some fat lady living in a pig sty all my life!!

Ok, well, complaining over. Now, back to your regularly scheduled ITT!

Hugs girlfriend. You are beautiful, loving, funny and kind. Tasty food is the devil. As is cleaning. And carbs. Don't feel like you did bad and need to get back on the bandwagon. Just slowly start doing it well again and it will get better:)

And keep a jar of garlic stuffed green olives in the frig. They take the edge off of a carb craving like nobody's business lol.

• Like 2

Hugs girlfriend. You are beautiful, loving, funny and kind. Tasty food is the devil. As is cleaning. And carbs. Don't feel like you did bad and need to get back on the bandwagon. Just slowly start doing it well again and it will get better:)

And keep a jar of garlic stuffed green olives in the frig. They take the edge off of a carb craving like nobody's business lol.

Aww, thanks! And I've never heard that garlic tuffed green olives take the edge off carb cravings, but I will have to try it.

• Like 1

This is the first time in 3 years I have not had to direct VBS.  I am so happy. I can just show up tomorrow wearing my t-shirt, grab my little box of things and not worry about how the whole thing is running and if we're going to have enough staff and putting out fires and all that other junk. 

I am very happy at our new church.

• Like 8

For the record, I strongly endorse making sure the kids learn to drive asap. It's no fun being married and living in a town with a population of about 1200 with no public transport and being pregnant and having to have your spouse do all the driving (actually, by that point I was so close to getting my license - but the 9 month 24/7 morning sickness wasn't helping with parallel parking). It wasn't super fun living in Dallas and either having to have my spouse drive me places or bicycle on 6+ lane roads in 100+F weather, but at least it was possible.

It's no fun having a license but still have the spouse drive you everywhere, because you're so big by 4 months your feet can't touch the pedals, either. Short people problems. :D

• Like 10

I don't know. She probably didn't tell them since she was afraid of getting in trouble. There's equal fault between the girls, IMO. DD should never have hid her in the closet, and friend knew she wasn't supposed to be in the house. I'm going to have DD write her an apology note and maybe make her a little something. 

We've had problems in the past with her ignoring me when I say they can't play. Hopefully that problem is solved! I really felt sorry for her when we found her. 

So she wasn't gone from home an unusual length of time, hopefully.  With luck neither girl will be inclined to try such a scheme again.

I'd imagine they can. My point was, it's not like the US. People with learner's permits can only drive with actual driving instructors (and I think maybe only in those special cars that have brakes on the passenger side too and all that). 

Edited because I can't spell.

I'd imagine so, too.  I was just wondering if the driving instructor's kids would have to be officially enrolled in the driving school -- even if not absolutely required it might be wise to do so, anyway.

I had some meds earlier in the pregnancy that worked well, and I took zofran with my other pregnancies, but I ran out a few weeks ago and had been feeling so much better than I didn't think I needed more. Something about today hit me hard, though. I don't know if it's the weather, something in the air, or something else. 

We didn't have coke, but Dr Pepper helped. 

I'm glad the soda helped.