Menu

Ignore this thread!

I'm so tired I read this as "Have that one fly away!" :scared:

I am back from running animal errands. Took me all morning, but I'm done. For now. I have made an executive decision not to cook, clean or teach school today. I have informed the boys that they can do school today, tomorrow, Sunday or Monday. I forgot, but discovered that I have a teeth cleaning on Monday. There goes going to the water in the morning, but afternoon will be fine.

Next up on my agenda: take off shoes, take a shower, suck on a cough drop while I sit in the bed with a couple of therapy kittens and write. Only I have no therapy kittens. I was offered a sweet orange cat, but they wouldn't take two nice puppies in trade for it. :tongue_smilie:

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

I'm sorry you  have no therapy kittens.

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

It is too cotton-pickin' early to be up on a Saturday morning. Oldest DS has a beach trip with the 8th graders from church. It's their last hurrah as Junior highers, tomorrow is promotion Sunday and they join the high school group as lowly freshmen. So, I had to get up and make him a lunch. Fortunately, DH is taking him to church, so I didn't have to get dressed and look presentable. That is just waaaaaay too much to ask for 6:30 on a Saturday morning.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6

Barba tenus sapienttes! My new favorite thing!

:party:  :party:  :party:

In the clean-shaven trends (or stubble trends) of today this statement takes on a different meaning.   :laugh:   I may have to use that sometime....

• Like 1

Ok, so... This, to me, is amazing. Last week when I took my kid to the doctor, she gave me a prescription for an antibiotic, just in case that pesky UTI came back. Well, we don't have health insurance,so we pay cash for everything. I called CVS in our town for a price for this prescription - $72.50. I had gotten it from The Walmart previously, but it's in the next town and I don't feel like driving there. It was $5. What?😵😵😵

You might ask CVS if they have a prescription club like the one Walgreen's has.  The Walgreen's one costs $20 for an individual or $35 for a family (human-equivalent pet meds included if you list your pets, too), and it gets you better prices on prescriptions.

• Like 1

I need to clean my sewing area so I can make a quilt for Gymnast. I made my first and only quilt for Dancer's Christmas when she was 7, and Gymnast will turn 7 right after this year's Christmas. That means I should make a quilt, right? Cleaning and decluttering everything is on my summer to-do list.  :glare:

That is SO Martha!

. I made my first quilt when I was 10 years old. It was just a patchwork. I think the squares were 8"-10" and every other one was made up of 4 squares. I spent so many hours sewing little squares together. I don't remember this, but my Grandmas tells the story of how she overheard me once in her sewing room "marrying" the blocks as I sewed them together. I had a really good imagination as a child. I guess I was bored. I still have the quilt.

I've done a variety of quilts over the years. Usually small simple ones. I have to have the time to immerse myself, like the photo books. I'm not one to spend an hour here and an hour there. But, since I am not directing a VBS this summer, I am going to do this.

• Like 5

Yes? I think I'm still alive. Are you?

Still alive here, too.  We will see if that changes before the end of the day.  In a few minutes it will be time to disappear to the first of the day's dance activities -- hair & make-up and dress rehearsal.  Then lunch for DD & me, then back to the auditorium a full 2 HOURS before the performance is due to start.  *sigh*

I am trying to stay upbeat over this to keep it as fun as possible for DD.  I will be heartily glad when all of this is over, though.  This studio does not impress me favorably with their lack of professionalism in running their business.

DH has the tickets for everyone -- check.

We have spare tights for DD, and I had hung her outfit so it could de-crumple -- check.

Time to gather everything up, make sure DD has comfy stuff for the odd times, and pack a snack bag.

I guess I'll finish catching up later, or tomorrow.  Have a good day, everyone!

• Like 4

So, Paige, I'm sorry for misunderstanding you and getting angry with you. ITT, I'm sorry for being unplpleasant and cussing.

No hard feelings. I can take a little internet anger. :grouphug: I hope you are feeling better. FWIW, I was talking about all churches in general- not specifically Catholic or even specifically Christian.  All religions/churches have had their unfortunate moments in history. 

• Like 2

:seeya:

I slept in!  Yay!  Of course, that's because Aunt Flow had me up three times last night.  Boo!

But the first thing I did was read a thread Hunter started about a library resource.  So I checked out our library-and we have it and a WHOLE PAGE of digital resources, many of which I had NO IDEA were there!  Have I mentioned that our awesome library was a major plus point when we decided to move here?  :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub:

• Like 7

I'm back early. To eat some crow.

Renai pointed out something to me in a pm that made me understand where the misunderstanding probably was.

Because I had just been talking about my beliefs as a Catholic, when Paige said "the church" I assumed she was talking specifically and only about the Catholic church rather than the church in general. It felt like a slam and I couldn't understand why no one else saw it that way, and as you know if you saw my thread on the chat board this has not been a great week where that would have been easy to shake off. I suppose I have my own trigger in that area as well bc of things happening internally in the Catholic church (trads being called rigid, etc) that are very painful to me.

So, Paige, I'm sorry for misunderstanding you and getting angry with you. ITT, I'm sorry for being unplpleasant and cussing.

Welcome back.  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Mercy, it is breezy out. Cooler weather is blowing in (very thankful for that), but it's blowing everything around the back yard and my allergies are going bonkers. My eyes are burning and I'm about to rip my itchy nose off. I think I will stay inside today instead of working in the yard.

• Like 2

Still alive here, too. We will see if that changes before the end of the day. In a few minutes it will be time to disappear to the first of the day's dance activities -- hair & make-up and dress rehearsal. Then lunch for DD & me, then back to the auditorium a full 2 HOURS before the performance is due to start. *sigh*

I am trying to stay upbeat over this to keep it as fun as possible for DD. I will be heartily glad when all of this is over, though. This studio does not impress me favorably with their lack of professionalism in running their business.

DH has the tickets for everyone -- check.

We have spare tights for DD, and I had hung her outfit so it could de-crumple -- check.

Time to gather everything up, make sure DD has comfy stuff for the odd times, and pack a snack bag.

I guess I'll finish catching up later, or tomorrow. Have a good day, everyone!

You can do it, AMJ!!!!
  • Like 1

I've lost 2 1/2 pounds. 2 1/2 more and I'm going to let myself open up the Leuchtturm!

I'm a little weirded out by how motivating this is for me.

Maybe I should start a new fad diet where you bribe yourself with craft supplies! 😜

Oh, honey. :( That's A LOT of weight for a potato. You need to take it easy.

• Like 2

I have grandbabies here!!

Yay for Grandbabies!!

I not exactly sure I like Tolkien. I'm still a little resentful about how he made us slog through all those chapters in TLoTR about those towns they went through and we were forced to learn the history and languages and customs. Actually, I skipped those chapters and I encouraged my students to do the same.

Good morning. [emoji274]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good morning to you, too, Jeannie!

Paige, how is your head and back?

Hope you are feeling better, Paige!, 

I've lost 2 1/2 pounds. 2 1/2 more and I'm going to let myself open up the Leuchtturm!

I'm a little weirded out by how motivating this is for me.

Maybe I should start a new fad diet where you bribe yourself with craft supplies! 😜

I need to bribe myself with something!!
  • Like 1

He has another book coming out. His grandson (?) is still working on the remainder of his unfinished works.

I think it's his son, but could be wrong.

I think I saw that there will be a new release of his story of Beren and Luthien (?) that he put on his tombstone for him and his wife.  (but I might be wrong about what's coming out next.)  

• Like 1

I think I saw that there will be a new release of his story of Beren and Luthien (?) that he put on his tombstone for him and his wife.  (but I might be wrong about what's coming out next.)  

We posted at the same time. Spuds, what she said.

• Like 1

So cool that Alan Lee is the illustrator.  I already have it in my wish list.   :001_tt1:

• Like 2

Ok, girls. I'm feeling a little Twilight Zone-y right now. So, yesterday I get a text from our neighbor (my kids were at her house playing) and she said that my oldest daughter was telling her kids about this bad guy who broke into a house and r@ped a woman. Well, this surprised me a little, but I thought, ok, she doesn't know what that means, actually, and I listen to the news quite a bit. I do try to turn it off when inappropriate stories come on, but sometimes they slip by. So, I told neighbor this, I apologized and that was it.

But this morning at breakfast the kids were talking about that very incident, but Annabeth said she was telling the story about the idiot who broke into someone's house and stole a pillow or something. (I hadn't told her about the text or that I knew anything about this conversation, so she wasn't trying to defend herself or anything) It was actually one of those Stupid Robber Stories, and I do remember hearing it on the radio, and she had commented on how silly it was. It makes more sense that she would relate a story like that.

Now, this woman always seems friendly and normal, but every once in a while... Like about 6 months ago the kids told me her kids couldn't play at our house because I am irresponsible. Well, they come over all the time now. And I was at a birthday party once where a gal was telling me that this neighbor lady once screamed at her at a PTC meeting and accused her of flirting with her husband. Anyhow, it's just bizarre. The incidents are so few and far between that I keep telling myself, "no, this gal can't really be a whack job", but then strange things do come up....

And this is an "Is She a Psycho?" neighbor Booya/h!!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 7

I'm gathering together all the overdue library books (all the books out). Fortunately, there's only 44 of them, and fortunately I don't have to pay the $285 fine once they're turned in. However, I'm missing one! And we haven't even read it.  :svengo: I won't be able to renew some of these other books if I can't find that one. Sigh. Oh, wait. I can put them on Gymnast's card.

• Like 5

I'm getting sidetracked reading about commonplace books. I didn't realize we were supposed to have our kids do this. I can't believe I never thought of that! I'm going to start my own. I keep going back and forth on it. I need to just dive in.

• Like 2

I need to get off the couch and do life. But, it's so easy to be lazy today. 
My child, on the other hand, is NOT lazy today. lol She is destroying the house. She's got some fantastical story going on while she does it, so there's purpose to her madness, but we've got some major clean up ahead of us. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 6

"commonplace books"?

Different people seem to attribute different qualities to these but essentially it's a blank notebook that you write down things that you have read that are cultivating to the soul. Quotes from books, scripture, poetry, things you've heard throughout the day.

• Like 2

I need to get off the couch and do life. But, it's so easy to be lazy today. 

My child, on the other hand, is NOT lazy today. lol She is destroying the house. She's got some fantastical story going on while she does it, so there's purpose to her madness, but we've got some major clean up ahead of us. 

Bravewriter lifestyle achieved!

• Like 3

Different people seem to attribute different qualities to these but essentially it's a blank notebook that you write down things that you have read that are cultivating to the soul. Quotes from books, scripture, poetry, things you've heard throughout the day.

so, now I have to have a Commonplace Book and a Bullet Journal??
  • Like 2

so, now I have to have a Commonplace Book and a Bullet Journal??

Yes. Also, RIP my bullet journal. I tried. I tried really hard for 3 years in a row.

which would be a collection of fart jokes, insults and arguments. All things worthy of being written down and preserved for posterity!😜

Perfect!

• Like 1

Bravewriter lifestyle achieved!

I've yet to look into Bravewriter, but if she's anything like I was, I predict many books being written (or at least narrated). My friend and I wrote many adventure novels (think notebook paper folded over as thick as we could and still have it stapled; then we would draw pictures and write stories on those stories). I think my mom still has some. I'm sure they're horrible stories, but I remember those days fondly.  

• Like 4

I've yet to look into Bravewriter, but if she's anything like I was, I predict many books being written (or at least narrated). My friend and I wrote many adventure novels (think notebook paper folded over as thick as we could and still have it stapled; then we would draw pictures and write stories on those stories). I think my mom still has some. I'm sure they're horrible stories, but I remember those days fondly.  

That's what she says to do in Jot It Down. The book was both lovely and "I really paid $23 for this?" at the same time.

• Like 2

MIL is being transferred to hospice on Monday.  She is only eating a spoonful or two of food a day.  But she's hospitable to the end, urging everyone who visits  her to eat up.  FIL called wanting to know why no one was picking her up today for her doctor's appointment - it's because today isn't Monday. 

My 92 year old mom is no longer sharp as a tack.  She doesn't have dementia or anything but she's lost her judgement over the last year.  Last night I got a frantic call from my eldest sister that Mom had given all her banking information to a scammer.  Today meant new bank accounts (fortunately nothing appears to be taken?) and sister took the checkbook. 

We are definitely in the sandwich generation. 

• Like 3

MIL just called. She was on the computer about to buy a plane ticket for herself for Christmas. I don't remember inviting her. I have not had time off with Matt home without visitors in... ? Since we moved here? I don't want her coming. I really don't.

MIL just called. She was on the computer about to buy a plane ticket for herself for Christmas. I don't remember inviting her. I have not had time off with Matt home without visitors in... ? Since we moved here? I don't want her coming. I really don't.

"I'm so sorry.  We'll be on vacation then."  You don't have to tell her that it is a staycation. 

• Like 7

That's what she says to do in Jot It Down. The book was both lovely and "I really paid $23 for this?" at the same time.

Sometimes, I think that people write books for the obvious. But, then, if people are not the creative type, they might not think to do that. We didn't have a lot of money, but I had a wild imagination and was a pretty good problem solver. So, for me, the book creation was just obvious. lol 

Now, random musings stemming from the book conversation: 

Looking back, I was raised pretty free-range (I'm sure a lot of us were). We lived in the country and had a pond, huge field, and there was a large horse farm a mile or two down the road. I would spend hours outside exploring, observing, creating, riding my bike (I still have a massive scar from that gravel road), etc. Mom even had a whistle she would blow so that I would come home.

I also had free rein with art supplies. I made more cardboard dollhouses and other creations that I can remember. I also read ALL THE TIME. Like, I would get grounded from reading!! lol 

I really, really, really want to give that kind of childhood to Riv. She has random art supplies and she creates a lot. I recently discovered a Wild + Free group in my area - lots of field trips and nature journaling and a lot of just being kids outside. I'm really excited to go on their outings. There's one coming up on the 21st. 

I'm finding I love the gentler approaches to education, especially now that Riv's learning difficulties have come to light. 

**and this has taken me forever to write, since someone keeps interrupting me ;) so it's not as eloquent as I wanted it; but I hope it makes sense

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 6

Paige, how is your head and back?

Not too bad. I have a bruise on my back but it's higher than the baby would be, so I think it means he wasn't affected. Google says I would need to be injured before he would be. I have a preexisting neck injury so I had some OB approved muscle relaxers for neck and back pain that I took last night. I woke up feeling pretty good and only a little bruise on my back and head. 

I had literally read an article about "how to fall safely" a day or two before so maybe that helped. I tried to roll instead of slam. I have already put the first coat on the walls for today and I'm waiting for it to dry to do the last coat. Then I'll do the trim tomorrow.

My mother says I'm stubborn and won't listen to anyone, so don't feel bad that I ignored you all and got back on the sink! There's a good chance we'll need to move shortly after the baby is born so I really want to get the house ready to sell now just in case. I know nothing will happen once he's born. 

• Like 4

MIL is being transferred to hospice on Monday.  She is only eating a spoonful or two of food a day.  But she's hospitable to the end, urging everyone who visits  her to eat up.  FIL called wanting to know why no one was picking her up today for her doctor's appointment - it's because today isn't Monday. 

My 92 year old mom is no longer sharp as a tack.  She doesn't have dementia or anything but she's lost her judgement over the last year.  Last night I got a frantic call from my eldest sister that Mom had given all her banking information to a scammer.  Today meant new bank accounts (fortunately nothing appears to be taken?) and sister took the checkbook. 

We are definitely in the sandwich generation. 

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 1

"I'm so sorry.  We'll be on vacation then."  You don't have to tell her that it is a staycation. 

She's not taking no for an answer. She say's she'll work with us etc.

Sometimes, I think that people write books for the obvious. But, then, if people are not the creative type, they might not think to do that. We didn't have a lot of money, but I had a wild imagination and was a pretty good problem solver. So, for me, the book creation was just obvious. lol 

1. Now, random musings stemming from the book conversation: 

Looking back, I was raised pretty free-range (I'm sure a lot of us were). We lived in the country and had a pond, huge field, and there was a large horse farm a mile or two down the road. I would spend hours outside exploring, observing, creating, riding my bike (I still have a massive scar from that gravel road), etc. Mom even had a whistle she would blow so that I would come home.

I also had free reign with art supplies. I made more cardboard dollhouses and other creations that I can remember. I also read ALL THE TIME. Like, I would get grounded from reading!! lol 

I really, really, really want to give that kind of childhood to Riv. She has random art supplies and she creates a lot. I recently discovered a Wild + Free group in my area - lots of field trips and nature journaling and a lot of just being kids outside. I'm really excited to go on their outings. There's one coming up on the 21st. 

2. I'm finding I love the gentler approaches to education, especially now that Riv's learning difficulties have come to light. 

**and this has taken me forever to write, since someone keeps interrupting me ;) so it's not as eloquent as I wanted it; but I hope it makes sense

1.  :001_wub:

2. YES! I totally agree!

• Like 2

I'm sorry. I know in our family that would mean MIL was coming no matter what. Could you plan to leave MIL with the kids and go off with DH for a day or two if she comes? 

• Like 1