Menu

Ignore this thread!

I've finished the series.

1. Main Points

1. Summary of The Eight Principles

1. Festina Lente: Dig deep and go slow. Digest, focus and enjoy learning.

2. Multum Non Multa: Fewer subjects, less testing, less distractions.

3. Repetilo Maeter Memoriae: Cram, test, forget; this is bad. Go for permanent learning.

4. Songs, Chants & Jingles: Teach with the grain.

5. Embodied Learning: Bathe in beauty. If you do not follow your love and show passion your children won’t either. What do you love? Is  it represented in your home? Do your children see you doing it?

6. Wonder & Curiosity: A student’s life must begin with ecstasy.

7. Educational Virtues: Temperance, Consistency, Patience, Perseverance. Without these you don’t have a student.

8. Schole: Understand and practice true leisure, don’t just take breaks.

2. As An Individual

1. Be an eternal student.

2. Stop Being So Distracted

1. Phone

2. Google

3. Facebook

2. Further Study

1. The Great Tradition

2. Circe Free Audio Library

3. Circe’s Recommended Reading

4. Teaching From Rest

5. Desiring The Kingdom

6. The Intellectual Life

7. Leisure: The Basis of Culture

8. Talk by Jenny Rallens

• Like 3

Note to self: start catching up from post 98125, page 1963. Hmm, I missed out on the page that corresponds to my birth year!

Back from the recital. I was backstage for the bulk of the recital AND the dress rehearsal before it, but I did get to go join the audience while DD was on stage. They did a great job!

I wasn't supposed to volunteer during the recital itself, but I did as a last-minute thing. As it turns out I was the only adult willing to say anything to three different dance classes' worth of unattended kids that were running wild in the dressing room. I walked otherwise unattended kids to the water fountain. And the restroom. I tied endless shoes, and attached endless shoe fobs. I assisted with costume changes. I kept kids from climbing on the shelves built to hold tubas, kept them from banging on the drums, and forbade playing hide-and-seek in the xylophones. (Our "dressing room" was the high school's band room.)

At the end DH texted me, "See you at my folks' house!" (DD wanted to sleep over with cousins who were down visiting.) I nixed that immediately -- I didn't want to drive all the way out to their place only to turn around and drive back past where we were to get home. Instead we did a hand-off of DD in the lobby.

I decided I deserved a Starbuck's treat, so I got one on the way home.

Now I'm going to bed. If I can manage to get up early enough I'm going to a nice, quiet blueberry farm to get friendly with some bushes in the early morning light.

Wow, I am impressed. You deserved that Starbucks!!

So....

I guess that means......

It's over????

Yep! I didn't bawl nearly as much as I expected. They did a little picture slide show and presentation for dd since she has graduated which got everyone teary. We're in the van heading home - we left dd with the car to drive so she could sob through more goodbyes and we can get the youngers to bed.

• Like 9

There's going to be a baby today! (My brother's)

Wait, you're having your brother's baby???

I have no idea. I suppose it's because I always feel like I can stand to lose a pound or 20 and there it is, staring me in the face in my drivers license for everyone to see. And it's none of the government's business anyway how much I weight. They're too intrusive as it is. They have my picture, leave me alone already.

As far as I remember, none of my driver's licenses have had my weight. And, using Google images, my memory seems to be correct (not that they have pictures of *my* DLs, but I don't see weight on TX or NY). 

Oh, and on my passport I'm taller than I'll ever be, unless I get some of those leg extension implants (no way). I got my first passport when I was 17, and I'm really short by Dutch standards, so the person at the desk added a couple of cm to my height because she was sure I'd grow some more... even though I hadn't grown in about 5 years (not that she would've known that). I just got it renewed last fall and they of course just copied the number from my first passport. *Maybe*, just *maybe* they might actually bother to measure me if I get really old, what with old people often shrinking. 

Thanks. If you stumble across a secular version, let me know, 'k? We do like the history songs by Mr. Nicky on YouTube, but they're not timeline songs. 

I like your signature, and the name of your homeschool!

• Like 1

I was so tired that I was slapping my face to stay awake while driving down the freeway. Then while Ds was getting his allergy shots I immediately fell fast asleep in the waiting room. I woke up to my neck in a really weird angle. I'm still tired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:grouphug:   You're still alive, right?  Got home safe?  I hope you got more rest last night.

• Like 1

Tomorrow!

Now, WHY would you choose to have your birthday when my DD has her dance recital day?  I missed it!

:laugh:   That's okay.  You can have your birthday whenever you want.

A very merry unbirthday to you!

• Like 2

I have to go to (expletive deleted) federal court on the 20th for a stupid (expletive deleted) grand jury summons.  They aren't going to pick me, it's going to require overnight travel, and I'M BUSY THAT WEEK.

pouting-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

I'm sorry.   :grouphug:

• Like 1

And more grand jury annoyance.  They pay for a hotel if it's 60 miles or more, one way.  According to their chart, I'm 55 miles away.  According to Map Quest, it's 61.1.  In either event, driving that morning is a non-starter.  The traffic is ugly and early morning is deer o'clock.

pulling-hair-smiley-emoticon.gif

Show them the Mapquest mileage and insist on the hotel.  For the entire family, because you must bring them with you so your kids can witness our legal system in progress.

• Like 1

I was painting other DDs's bathroom (why do we have so many bathrooms?!) and fell off the sink which was narrower than expected, rolled back, and broke the fall to the floor with my back and hit my head on the wall.  :sad:

I'm pretty sure I'm ok, but DD(13) saw it and was a little freaked out and now I have a killer headache and my back hurts. But I finished what I was doing in the room so I must be ok. I was only cutting in so now I still have a half finished room to do tomorrow. Ugh.... I won't be able to stand to look at it half done and nobody else will do it. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   I hope you are okay!  How did you feel the next day?  How about today?

I don't know why lying on a tray that goes in and out of a machine while I hold my breath off and on for ten minutes could take so much out of me.

Tension, stress, and unusual activity and breathing.

• Like 1

Short person, showing me book:  "Wow, Mom, look.  This book is really old.  Check it out; I knew it was old, but not that old.  It was printed in 1969!  It's almost 50 years old!"

Me:  "I was born in 1969, rotten child."

You are the same age as my kid sister!

Nothing like coming home on a Friday night after the doctor's office has closed for the weekend to find a message wanting to go over my CT results. Apparently I am not supposed to worry but they have yet another referral for me to yet another doctor. But of course she didn't actually give me any actual information in the message. I have to wait until Monday!!!!

:cursing:   *sigh*   :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I thought I made it up - Texting minus the t, plus the w for wine.   :hat:

I thought that, too.  Huh, it's already in use.

*piusly*  I don't do that.

Don't have the coordination to do that.

• Like 1

The Santa Fe River is dry most of the year...

That's okay, we will do rain dances and bring a small, dramatic-yet-nondestructive flash flood.

Woohoo!  Raindance Booya(h)!

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 4

So. When's C25K day 2?

Apparently, next month.   :glare:   Thanks for asking.   :coolgleamA:

That dancing unicorn thing is giving my eyes whiplash. I wonder if it's moving faster on my screen than on other screens, as y'all seem to love it? 

I couldn't look at it for very long either.  :leaving:

• Like 2

Good Sunday Morning!

We had about 40 people here last night, counting us.  I think it was a fair success.  We had subs and pizzas, chips, grapes, and cake.  (Sorry, Krissi, no wings.)  We had games - basketball, ladder ball, corn hole, and a frisbee game, etc.  There were 3 graduates who hung out, a couple more high schoolers,  then a group of 5 girls 14/15yo, a group of 5 boys ages 11-13, and then about 7 girls ages 9-11.  And all their parents.  Fun times.  

Susan, so glad everything went well for the performance.  Wish I could have seen it!

AMJ, glad everyone survived the dance recital.  I know exactly what you mean about backstage - it is amazing what other folks don't see a need to address.

Some of us leave for camp today.  Some of us are going to have internet church today. 

• Like 6

No blueberry picking for me this morning -- the farm had a huge crowd yesterday that picked everything ripe.  They are closed today.

I didn't check their website before going however, so I still drove over there.  30 miles round trip.  It wasn't a waste, however:  part of what I like about going is the drive east, in which I get to watch the first morning color grow in the sky.  Today I also had the moon, full and very bright, keeping me company as well.  When I discovered the farm was closed I turned around and started back, and got to watch the growing light and the world waking up all the way back.  I also got to see those fleeting wisps of very low ground fog that develop here in the early morning.  When I stopped for gas I got to listen to the birds greeting the day, and being early on a Sunday there was very little traffic, so the roads were open and smooth.

I took a little time to satisfy some curiosity, too -- there's a commercial area that has gone in just the other side of the railroad tracks near us, so I drove through it to see what-all was there.  Plenty of light industrial, plus a couple of sports places and the names (on a sign) of two dining options that took me by surprise.

All in all a pleasant little junket, in peace and quiet.   :001_smile:

• Like 7

Staying backstage has always been standard for the performances I've been to/involved in.

Many dance recitals I had been to for kids' classes allowed the kids to join the audience at certain points (small breaks) during the performance (if they weren't performing until late in the show they could stay in the audience until certain breaks, and then head backstage).  Others would also allow kids to be picked up by their parents after their final number, even if the show was still going on.  These were allowed to give the kids a chance to watch at least part of the show, and to have fewer kids getting restless and noisy backstage.

I didn't mind DD having to stay backstage the entire time so much, I minded the lack of communication to parents about it.  Every year they have new students with parents new to dancing recitals, so they shouldn't expect all of the parents to simply know stuff, not to the extent this place seems to expect.  This was something they could have easily communicated much earlier.

• Like 2

The young cat is bothering me. She keeps dropping this toy on top of me, expecting me to throw it so she can fetch.

:laugh:   Initially I read this as "the youngest".  I thought Gymnast was playing puppy.  

• Like 2

I'm gathering together all the overdue library books (all the books out). Fortunately, there's only 44 of them, and fortunately I don't have to pay the $285 fine once they're turned in. However, I'm missing one! And we haven't even read it.  :svengo: I won't be able to renew some of these other books if I can't find that one. Sigh. Oh, wait. I can put them on Gymnast's card.

That's good thinking!

• Like 1

so, now I have to have a Commonplace Book and a Bullet Journal??

Not if you allow yourself to write commonplace book stuff in your BJ.  You can make sections for it, if you like, or simply write them throughout and have an index to capture the page numbers.

• Like 1

I've yet to look into Bravewriter, but if she's anything like I was, I predict many books being written (or at least narrated). My friend and I wrote many adventure novels (think notebook paper folded over as thick as we could and still have it stapled; then we would draw pictures and write stories on those stories). I think my mom still has some. I'm sure they're horrible stories, but I remember those days fondly.  

You should go read some again.  I'm sure you will find out they aren't as horrible as you think.

MIL is being transferred to hospice on Monday.  She is only eating a spoonful or two of food a day.  But she's hospitable to the end, urging everyone who visits  her to eat up.  FIL called wanting to know why no one was picking her up today for her doctor's appointment - it's because today isn't Monday. 

My 92 year old mom is no longer sharp as a tack.  She doesn't have dementia or anything but she's lost her judgement over the last year.  Last night I got a frantic call from my eldest sister that Mom had given all her banking information to a scammer.  Today meant new bank accounts (fortunately nothing appears to be taken?) and sister took the checkbook. 

We are definitely in the sandwich generation. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

MIL just called. She was on the computer about to buy a plane ticket for herself for Christmas. I don't remember inviting her. I have not had time off with Matt home without visitors in... ? Since we moved here? I don't want her coming. I really don't.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Sometimes, I think that people write books for the obvious. But, then, if people are not the creative type, they might not think to do that. We didn't have a lot of money, but I had a wild imagination and was a pretty good problem solver. So, for me, the book creation was just obvious. lol 

Now, random musings stemming from the book conversation: 

Looking back, I was raised pretty free-range (I'm sure a lot of us were). We lived in the country and had a pond, huge field, and there was a large horse farm a mile or two down the road. I would spend hours outside exploring, observing, creating, riding my bike (I still have a massive scar from that gravel road), etc. Mom even had a whistle she would blow so that I would come home.

I also had free rein with art supplies. I made more cardboard dollhouses and other creations that I can remember. I also read ALL THE TIME. Like, I would get grounded from reading!! lol 

I really, really, really want to give that kind of childhood to Riv. She has random art supplies and she creates a lot. I recently discovered a Wild + Free group in my area - lots of field trips and nature journaling and a lot of just being kids outside. I'm really excited to go on their outings. There's one coming up on the 21st. 

I'm finding I love the gentler approaches to education, especially now that Riv's learning difficulties have come to light. 

**and this has taken me forever to write, since someone keeps interrupting me ;) so it's not as eloquent as I wanted it; but I hope it makes sense

You wrote it perfectly.

Oh, okay. I guess I must have misinterpreted your age from whichever post - not going to dig it up now. Or maybe you were joking about it way back when too. So, you might still be the youngest person on this thread (no clue how old Southern Ivy is). 

My birthday is in 51 days (like my profile says), and I actually *am* turning 33. I like very compressed carbon too. And I didn't start the listing of when parents got married, no matter what y'all say. I started with when my parents were born. Completely different thing. My parents got married in 1978, I think? Not 100% sure - this happened years before I was born, when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth. I know the younger set of my grandparents got married in 1950, because my grandfather was born in 1925 and married in 1950 and something else in 1975 iirc - he once made some comment about doing important things 25 years apart. 

Someone (Susan in TN maybe?) mentioned some theory about how your generation/the year you were born in is only one factor, and that your parents' generation matters too. I wonder if your grandparents' generations matter also. Like, for example, I'm Gen Y, and my grandparents are from the Greatest Generation (though two of them are classified as Silent Generation by some sources), whereas there are other people my exact same age whose grandparents are Baby Boomers, i.e. 2 generations later.

Grandparents' generations have an effect, too.

Basically it's who raised you, and who raised them.  You can carry it back further, too, to who raised the grandparents.  There are strong family influences that tend to keep getting passed down, ways of thinking, certain values, approaches to tackling life's surprises.  Each generation rebels to a point and people learn over time and change and adapt, so nothing is ever quite the same, even within a generation.  But certain highly impactful events carry their impact on to later generations, and not just the generation immediately affected.

• Like 2

My parents are/were in the Greatest Generation.  I'm a baby boomer.  I'm also (I believe) the same age as Slache's mother. 

My parents were Silent Generation (I had never heard that term before!).  According to the U.S. Census I'm officially a Baby Boomer, too.   :D

• Like 1

I actually do read them. I just sometimes want to write TL;DR.

So, apparently it was AMJ. Fun fact: according to Pew, 43% of people born between 1981 and 1988 self-identify as Gen X. And most people born between 1981 and 2000 hate the word 'Millennials'.

I'm not fond of "Millennials", either.  I'm always confused by it -- are they in the group ending in 2K, or starting in 2K?  I never remember and never get it right.

Mom (92) gave the scammer her bank account information.  And her credit card number.  And her social security number.  :svengo: :svengo: The only reason she told my sister is because she needed a ride to the bank where she was going to physically withdraw money for the person (who never showed).  The man told her not to tell anyone and Mom took that instruction seriously even though she refuses to listen to those of us in her family.  She no longer has her checkbook or her credit card as my sister has taken those.  The bank account has been changed.  The credit card has been changed.  The social security number has a fraud watch on it.  Mom still has no real idea that what she did was wrong.  My sister said that she really lost it with mom (she understands that Mom doesn't understand what she's doing).  Mom was sharp as a tack until 90 and I think we still tend to think of her that way.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I suspect sometimes they not only expect they are still sharp as tacks, but they also don't see a reason to switch roles in the parent/child relationship.  THEY raised US, after all.

• Like 1

I am home from work. I wish I had time for a nap, but will probably have to settle for an early bedtime. 

I found out I have a busier summer ahead of me than I expected. I wish I didn't have to be busy in the summer. I have next to no energy, I shun the sun like a vampire, and my mood is never the stuff of angels. More like the stuff of the hot place.

My calendar looks like a toddler scribbled on it there's so much on there.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

I hope you were able to get some rest.

• Like 1

I have COFFEE!!,☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ And I'm cutting out fabric for my quilt. And half-watching early episodes of TGW. I need something that I know what's going on without paying attention. This is my favorite episode.... The one where Peter hires Eli. (First season). It is hilarious.

TGW?

• Like 1

It is 35 degrees here this morning.  :huh:

That dancing unicorn thing is giving my eyes whiplash. I wonder if it's moving faster on my screen than on other screens, as y'all seem to love it? 

:huh:

The ribbon dancing elephant is super hyper too. Please, make it stop already. Slache?? You've been diagnosed with SPD by the ITT - can you order them to make it stop?

:huh:  No, no.  Never stop.  Such magnificence.

Silly.

Show them the Mapquest mileage and insist on the hotel.  For the entire family, because you must bring them with you so your kids can witness our legal system in progress.

:laugh:  DD has voted with me in nearly every election since she was born; I would TOTALLY do this, if I could.  The day I have to go, though, is during a planned 3-days-with-the-bestie-before-(SOB)-DD-leaves-for-the-whole-flipping-summer extravaganza sleepover. 

We had about 40 people here last night, counting us. 

:huh:

• Like 3

We have a waterfall too. Not sure if y'all have heard of it though, since it's about as obscure as Cape Cod. It's called the Niagara Falls (and there is a river too - the Niagara River). 

ARGH!  (Out of likes again)

Though Niagara Falls I'll have to take in careful doses.  As I understand it it is quite noisy.

You know how historic buildings in Europe and elsewhere have this grime on them? Here if you don't powerwash your sidewalks every year or two, that builds up.

I never had to powerwash our sidewalks when we lived North.

It's much the same algae, etc as what forms on brick in perennially wet places.

Yup, and I like to go barefoot when I can.  The problem is my feet pick up stuff from that biofilm....