Menu

Ignore this thread!

The Good Wife. I have a thing for those kind of shows.....until they get too nutty and then I quit watching. Usually I make it through about 3-4 seasons. I think I watched that one for about 4-5 seasons and then it got weird. Well, really weird. It was already weird.

AH, okay.  I thought maybe The Ghost Whisperer.

That's okay, we will do rain dances and bring a small, dramatic-yet-nondestructive flash flood.

We have plenty of pueblos around here to do that particular dance. I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes. (See what I did there?)

• Like 4

Yep! I didn't bawl nearly as much as I expected. They did a little picture slide show and presentation for dd since she has graduated which got everyone teary. We're in the van heading home - we left dd with the car to drive so she could sob through more goodbyes and we can get the youngers to bed.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

We are all so proud of her.

That dancing unicorn thing is giving my eyes whiplash. I wonder if it's moving faster on my screen than on other screens, as y'all seem to love it? 

No, I found it a bit frenetic, too.  I took it in short doses, scrolling past it quickly when I had enough.  

It was still no where near as wild as some of the kids last night.  Some of them had been running non-stop in the dressing room during the dress rehearsal, and then again during the recital.  Two bouts of 3+ hours each of running, and no sign at the end of being run out yet.  I sure hope they slept well for their parents last night!

• Like 1

It is 35 degrees here this morning.  :huh:

:huh:

:huh:  No, no.  Never stop.  Such magnificence.

Silly.

:laugh:  DD has voted with me in nearly every election since she was born; I would TOTALLY do this, if I could.  The day I have to go, though, is during a planned 3-days-with-the-bestie-before-(SOB)-DD-leaves-for-the-whole-flipping-summer extravaganza sleepover. 

:huh:

Where do you live again?  I wanna come visit!

We have plenty of pueblos around here to do that particular dance. I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes. (See what I did there?)

Well, at least you wouldn't step on toes while wearing tap shoes.

We can join them in their rain dances!

Oh, and my bestie librarian dude let me renew those really late books we couldn't find so I could recheck out the others. :D

That's a good librarian!  High five to him!

• Like 2

Main Points

1. Summary of The Eight Principles

1. Festina Lente: Dig deep and go slow. Digest, focus and enjoy learning.

2. Multum Non Multa: Fewer subjects, less testing, less distractions.

3. Repetilo Maeter Memoriae: Cram, test, forget; this is bad. Go for permanent learning.

4. Songs, Chants & Jingles: Teach with the grain.

5. Embodied Learning: Bathe in beauty. If you do not follow your love and show passion your children won’t either. What do you love? Is  it represented in your home? Do your children see you doing it?

6. Wonder & Curiosity: A student’s life must begin with ecstasy.

7. Educational Virtues: Temperance, Consistency, Patience, Perseverance. Without these you don’t have a student.

8. Schole: Understand and practice true leisure, don’t just take breaks.

Beautifully concise outline! I'm impressed. Here's how that looks at my house tailored to this teacher:

1) Don't try to do more than you can do in a day. 

2) Be realistic about your time management.

3) Find a consistent way to do things that works for you.

4) If your kid hates it, or you hate it, either throw it out or find a better way to do it.

5) Take time to nurture your own interests and take care of yourself.

6) Have fun whenever and wherever you can.

7) Sometimes things aren't fun, but you can get through it. Take courage and remember 4.

8) When you are off--be off. It might be good to work through six lessons of Latin or dust all the ceiling fans, but there is peace by the river with a poem in your heart and a pen in your hand.

• Like 8

Woo-Hoo!   :party: at my place!

I think we are looking at 90F today. I'm trying to talk the boys into heading north to some cold streams to sit in the shade of the sycamores and watch the buzzards turn air currents into elevators while dabbling the toes in crystal clear green water.

But a 35F morning sounds like heaven.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

Beautifully concise outline! I'm impressed. Here's how that looks at my house tailored to this teacher:

4) If your kid hates it, or you hate it, either throw it out or find a better way to do it.

7) Sometimes things aren't fun, but you can get through it. Take courage and remember 4.

8) When you are off--be off. It might be good to work through six lessons of Latin or dust all the ceiling fans, but there is peace by the river with a poem in your heart and a pen in your hand.

Now this is perfect, Critter. I want this engraved and hanging on my wall.
  • Like 5

The ribbon dancing elephant is super hyper too. Please, make it stop already. Slache?? You've been diagnosed with SPD by the ITT - can you order them to make it stop?

NO!

Apparently, next month.   :glare:   Thanks for asking.   :coolgleamA:

Is everything ok?   

Everyone is still sleeping. I'm going to try to have a cuppa before they wake up.

#momambitions

This is why I get up at 5.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

She's coming for Thanksgiving, which is much better foe me.  

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:
  • Like 3

Love it!   :001_tt1:

• Like 4

Ok, I am off to wash the goat and go to church. It is promotion Sunday....DS1 goes into the high school group, DS2 and DD1 stay put, but two youngest DDs move into another class. The SS classes have two grades per class, so you move up every other year.

• Like 6

I don't keep a commonplace book separate from my writing journal. I grouse about heat, bugs, and housekeeping, think through plot issues with the novel, complain about my children, dogs, cats and chickens and write sublime thoughts all in the same place. It's not very orderly, but it's the way I think, I guess.

ETA: It's a Do-what-works-for-your-brain Booyah! Whatever works for the way you think and plan is best for ordering your thoughts.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 9

Critter, you are pretty awesome. :)

It's going to take several more cups of coffee for my brain to become useful. Dd8 and dd10 are breaking out in rashes. We may go for a hike in a couple hours and dd14 starts her summer orchestra festival tonight. Ds21 is listening to a wind quintet and using colored pencils to analyze the score. It's very nice music.

I tried to go to The Container Store yesterday between performances but could not find a parking spot anywhere in the mall so I gave up.

Dd18 is going through post-theatre sadness. Fortunately she has a couple jobs and residual ACT study to keep herself busy and university orientation in a couple weeks and a couple of get-togethers planned with friends.

I need more coffee. A lot more. And breakfast/lunch.

• Like 5

I just ate a donut. I'm at church though, so no calories.

:D Such a statistical oddity for a random group of forum members to own goats! :D

It's what brought us together! Don't you remember?

I was born in 1969.

In the summer of 69? :coolgleamA:
  • Like 7

I am planning to transfer all my brain dump stuff over to the bujo once I get it. ;).

Too much consolidation can get overwhelming. Somethings need to be separate so they're easy to find. Plus how big of a book do you really want to haul around, kwim? I like having my teacher brain somewhat separate from my mom/wife/I may actually still be a human being brain.

I know what you mean.  I have a teacher planner and teacher calendar book to 1) plan lesson and subject progression and 2) record what actually gets done.  I have a health log to record vital stats, meds taken, BG readings, exercise, foods eaten, etc.  I have a wall calendar for the family to reference (though they usually default to asking me), and a calendar on my phone for ease of carrying around.  When I want to work on something on paper I often need to group it with other stuff, so a bound notebook isn't always my go-to thing (top-bound spiral notebooks 8.5" x 11" are my favorite).  I also use the sticky note and camera apps on my phone for taking notes.

I think it's this practical fragmenting that keeps me from really getting into a bullet journal.  I keep starting, and then life distracts, I resort to the old fragmented habits, and forget about the bullet journal.

• Like 4

We headed off to visit with extended family at ILs' house, but the augment-and-funnel aspect of the main living spaces of the house, combined with the loud exuberance of the kids AND the prolonged noise exposure yesterday AND a sting received on my finger (probably a yellow jacket) had me overwhelmed (sensory overload).  I had DH bring me home (we foolishly only took one car).

In rebellion I am trying something new -- I have ordered myself lunch from Panera -- they claim they deliver to my area.  If this works out we might have an option other than pizza for future delivery suppers.  I'm considering this a Starbuck's treat that will be less bad for my system and I don't have to go out to get it.

I think the extended family has now gotten used to this behavior of mine well enough, and heard the explanations often enough, that they now understand I truly am not being anti-social, but have been overwhelmed beyond my ability to shrug off.

I'm looking forward to this lunch.  

• Like 3

Dd10 would love to explore a dry riverbed. She'd come away with pockets full of "fossils" and other treasures. :D

And real, not-imported-from-some-other-state ROCKS!

• Like 1

I got stung when heading out to MIL's garden to pick some veggies.  She picked some for me while I dealt with my finger.

I forgot my fresh veggies when DH took me home.   :crying:

(I have texted him.  He will bring them home for me.)

• Like 5

I am going to veg on the couch, but don't want to start that until my lunch arrives (or I might not hear the doorbell).  Are you all having good days?  I hope so, since it's rather quiet here in ITT at the moment.

Someone on the street is having a party.  A very nice someone started to park in the one clearly available area right across the street -- she was very nice when I went over, excused myself, and pointed out the fire hydrant.  She promptly headed further down the street to find another spot.  Such a nice young gal, different from the moody teens who get combative when they try to park there!    I really need to have a word with our city, though.  So far as I can see this hydrant is the only one they failed to mark with the new blue reflectors on the pavement, and it's one that most needs it.

• Like 1

We took a short but hilly and sweaty hike and now I'm ready to loaf around some more. I may spend some time in the webstaurant site. I have plans to stop by The Container Store tomorrow after dropping dd14 off at orchestra. I suspect I will either love exploring all the things or become quickly overwhelmed and make a quick escape. The Webstaurant site sells some of the same stuff as TCS but at 1/3 the price.

• Like 4