Menu

We Need A Change of Scenery

earthyfamily

We're currently in the East Tennessee area.  My family and I definitely need a change of scenery as East Tennessee is just not our cup of tea.  So we've decided that moving is our best option.  We're currently considering Hawaii, California and Florida.  Hawaii would be our first choice but the cost of moving there is a bit much...and there's the possibility that our cats would end up hating us after making them fly with us on an airplane.  We have not however ruled it out yet.  What we're looking for: warm year round, but preferably not stifling, (humidity can be an issue), lots of sunshine and beaches with that deliciously clear, nearly turquoise water.  Does anyone have any suggestions on areas that might fit the bill? We have absolutely nothing holding us in East TN and really feel like a move could do us some good. Thanks so much everyone!

We're currently in the East Tennessee area.  My family and I definitely need a change of scenery as East Tennessee is just not our cup of tea.  So we've decided that moving is our best option.  We're currently considering Hawaii, California and Florida.  Hawaii would be our first choice but the cost of moving there is a bit much...and there's the possibility that our cats would end up hating us after making them fly with us on an airplane.  We have not however ruled it out yet.  What we're looking for: warm year round, but preferably not stifling, (humidity can be an issue), lots of sunshine and beaches with that deliciously clear, nearly turquoise water.  Does anyone have any suggestions on areas that might fit the bill? We have absolutely nothing holding us in East TN and really feel like a move could do us some good. Thanks so much everyone!

Southern California (Los Angeles, San Diego areas, although you could go up the coast more--California has an awesome coastline. Even as far north as Santa Barbara would give you warm sunshine.) would certainly fit the bill. No humidity, lots of sunshine, and beaches. Not necessarily clear, nearly turquoise water, though but still beautiful.

Homeschooling in California is easy peasy: File a private school affidavit annually in October. The end.

• Like 2

Southern California (Los Angeles, San Diego areas, although you could go up the coast more--California has an awesome coastline. Even as far north as Santa Barbara would give you warm sunshine.) would certainly fit the bill. No humidity, lots of sunshine, and beaches. Not necessarily clear, nearly turquoise water, though but still beautiful.

What is this "no humidity" you speak of?

OP, sorry for the tangent. Even though I have snow everywhere right now, Virginians don't quickly forget the humidity of summers.

• Like 2

I grew up in southern California, and the water there is neither clear nor near turquoise.  The only place I've ever experienced that is in Hawaii.  (I've never been to Florida.)

Also, if you want no humidity, you're probably going to have to move to Arizona.

Is the heat difficult to handle in the summer?  One of the things we liked about Hawaii was the decreased need for air conditioning. 

And yeah, Angie in VA, humidity is huge problem here in East TN as well.  Sometimes in the summer I can't even walk outside because it smacks me in the face like a brick wall...and my asthma kinda really hates severe humidity.

• Like 1

I grew up in southern California, and the water there is neither clear nor near turquoise.  The only place I've ever experienced that is in Hawaii.  (I've never been to Florida.)

Also, if you want no humidity, you're probably going to have to move to Arizona.

Darn google images...we added California to our list of places to consider because I remembered loving it as a kid so much, it's warmer and the pics on google images showed clear water beaches! Heh...oh well.

If you can afford Oceanside or San Diego..... go California!  Lots more costly than where you are now, though, although less than the islands.

Florida has humidity, hurricanes and bugs.  Bleah. (is my native S. California background showing? heehee)

• Like 4

I've lived in East TN and Florida has a lot more humidity. I would rule it out entirely unless you live directly on the beach and can run around in tank tops, shorts, and sandals all day (the only thing I miss about living on the  Gulf Coast). The humidity is unbearable IMO (I have Asthma).  I would choose Hawaii over California because if your going to spend a small fortune in COL you might as well live in Paradise.  Plus I couldn't handle the air pollution in Southern CA (Asthma, again).

I was pleasantly surprised by the medium to low humidity in Charlotte NC (compared to FL and Indiana).  There was a "winter" but it was short and fairly moderate most years (this year is weird, so it doesn't count).  The Outer Banks are beautiful (but buggy every time we went) and there's so much history there.

Okay, so Florida seems to be out based on humidity. Neither my asthma, nor my hair (I go all tropical island Monica from Friends on a bad day here) can handle too much of it.  So any idea on how to move to Hawaii affordably and not make my cats hate me in the process?  What areas in Hawaii fit our criteria? I know that there are so many different climate zones in Hawaii.

Have you looked at the job market in Hawaii?  Is the industry you/your husband are in have jobs available?  If so does it pay well enough to live in HI? Check out craigslist and usnpl.com for samples of housing and jobs (also careerbuilder types too).

Well right now he's in a serving position, but he's working on getting his real estate license. So we're hoping that will work out for us there.

Well right now he's in a serving position, but he's working on getting his real estate license. So we're hoping that will work out for us there.

Seriously???

Does he understand that real estate licenses are granted by the state, and the California, for example, doesn't offer reciprocity with any other state, and that, California real estate law and customs are quite different than Tennessee?

Have you thought about the cost of living in these places?  The cost of moving to Hawaii is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of living there.

• Like 3

Seriously???

Does he understand that real estate licenses are granted by the state, and the California, for example, doesn't offer reciprocity with any other state, and that, California real estate law and customs are quite different than Tennessee?

Have you thought about the cost of living in these places?  The cost of moving to Hawaii is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of living there.

We do understand that licensing is different for each state.  I was really meaning that he's working on getting his real estate license for Tennessee, so that he can work both jobs for us to save up for our move.  It will also help him to learn the basics of real estate for when we do move.

Then I do assume once we move, we'll end up doing the two jobs at one time thing again for a while at least.

As far as col, we have considered it and done a lot of research on it.  Our biggest area of concern would be housing.  We're vegetarians so our food costs would not be affected that drastically. 

Lifelong SoCal person here, and the waters are neither turquoise nor clear.  La Jolla Cove would be the closest one I could think of.  

The cost of living so close to the beach is astronomical.  If you want year round swimming temps, the water is quite cold here in the "off season."  The real estate industry has taken a huge hit here since the recession.  Most of our friends have either transitioned into new careers or are working two jobs.  

In terms of affordability, Florida would seem the better choice, yet you don't want humidity.  

Sounds like you have a lot of researching ahead!  

for cost I'd go with Florida. I think I'd learn to live with humidity. Plus, my family is mid Atlantic, so I could drive the length of 95 to visit sometimes. 

So Cal. Love the warmth and low humidity. The water is not as clear as HI, but not the murky color of the Atlantic. 

HI is beautiful. It is isolated. Unless you do really well financially you will be cut off from visiting anyone. 

Your dc are not far off from college. You should probably factor that into your decision, even if you aren't financing post secondary ed for your kids, you might want to be in a place where in state tuition has a lot of options. Or you might want to be in a place where you could at least visit and your dc could at least come home for a visit. 

• Like 1

The isolation isn't an issue for us.  We have no family that we visit at all and really no friends to speak of. And there are lots of college options in the islands, so we're not too concerned about that.

Unfortunately, neither dh or I speak Spanish. I've never been able to pick up that language for some reason, no matter how hard I tried.  I pick up languages pretty easily usually and was fluent in French back when I used it regularly about 15 years ago, but Spanish always eluded me for some reason.

Is there anywhere in Hawaii where humidity isn't a huge issue?

Check into "cost of living" calculators (Google them online). Way too many people move without doing this simple one thing.

Hawaii is incredibly expensive. As in: you can end up living in a shack. San Diego is so expensive you could end up living 1.5 hrs. from the beach.

Florida might be your best bet, plus it will make it so your kids can still visit old friends in TN.

Moving sounds fun and adventurous, but is a serious undertaking -- I'm just saying to do it w/ your eyes open.

Alley

Check into "cost of living" calculators (Google them online). Way too many people move without doing this simple one thing.

Hawaii is incredibly expensive. As in: you can end up living in a shack. San Diego is so expensive you could end up living 1.5 hrs. from the beach.

Florida might be your best bet, plus it will make it so your kids can still visit old friends in TN.

Moving sounds fun and adventurous, but is a serious undertaking -- I'm just saying to do it w/ your eyes open.

Alley

I agree.  I'm from California. The COL is very high, even inland.  The recession made it better, but prices have already started to go back up.  Even when they were low, it was still high, if that makes sense.  

Have you checked real estate prices in the areas you are considering?  Not just on Zillow (a lot of those are old prices).  Check an actual real estate website.

We do understand that licensing is different for each state. I was really meaning that he's working on getting his real estate license for Tennessee, so that he can work both jobs for us to save up for our move. It will also help him to learn the basics of real estate for when we do move.

Then I do assume once we move, we'll end up doing the two jobs at one time thing again for a while at least.

As far as col, we have considered it and done a lot of research on it. Our biggest area of concern would be housing. We're vegetarians so our food costs would not be affected that drastically.

FYI- I had friends in Hawaii until they recently relocated. The cost of veggies was high. Your food cost will go up.

I was really meaning that he's working on getting his real estate license for Tennessee, so that he can work both jobs for us to save up for our move.  It will also help him to learn the basics of real estate for when we do move.

So, we're talking at least a year, probably years, before a move would be feasible?  Sounds like plenty of time to do research.

Please don't move to California.  We are in the middle of an insane drought and can't handle any more people.  I'm serious.  A whole lot of farmers are tearing out $$$ orchards and planting a lot less because there isn't nearly enough water to sustain normal levels of agriculture.  This issue is exacerbated by people in Sacramento who think the mental health of delta smelt trump all other concerns and certain Bay Area environmentalists who sip their Hetch Hetchy water and tell us that Valley ag is unsustainable so the farmers should suck it up.  

There are some very beautiful areas here, and the humidity is non-existent inland (central valley) and not too bad on the coast.  Unemployment is a big issue in a lot of places, the Bay Area is EXPENSIVE, as is Southern California.  San Joaquin Valley is inexpensive, but you'll deal with a lot of unemployment and poverty.  Across the state we also have a large population of undocumented residents that brings its own set of challenges.

Really, California is not the place to be.  Yes, it's beautiful in many places and homeschooling is easy, but that's about it.

I vote for Florida and deal with the humidity.

• Like 1

I would take California off the list... the only affordable places to live have a very high crime rate and would look ugly, not very scenic. You pretty much have to be a two income household to live here. And with this extreme drought, I don't know how long the economy can hold up.

We're currently in the East Tennessee area. My family and I definitely need a change of scenery as East Tennessee is just not our cup of tea. So we've decided that moving is our best option. We're currently considering Hawaii, California and Florida. Hawaii would be our first choice but the cost of moving there is a bit much...and there's the possibility that our cats would end up hating us after making them fly with us on an airplane. We have not however ruled it out yet. What we're looking for: warm year round, but preferably not stifling, (humidity can be an issue), lots of sunshine and beaches with that deliciously clear, nearly turquoise water. Does anyone have any suggestions on areas that might fit the bill? We have absolutely nothing holding us in East TN and really feel like a move could do us some good. Thanks so much everyone!

My cat flew on airplanes with me all the time and he loved every minute of it. He even enjoyed the TSA patdown. (Usually they just petted and fussed over him, but every now and then some overzealous security person would actually pat him down like he was hiding weaponry in his short fur. :rolleyes:)

He always flew in the passenger area, though -- I wouldn't have let him travel as cargo.

• Like 1

Like others said, San Diego beaches aren't clear year round like Hawaii. But in September and October when the water is really warm, the water at many beaches is clear. It's a nice treat! If you go more inland, you will find hotter summer weather, but less expensive housing. We can get some hot Santa Ana winds that blow, but not a lot of humidity. I have a few realtor friends that are doing just fine job wise. 

Make sure your cat or cats (&/or other pets) meet Hawaii's vaccination requirements, otherwise they can end up in quarantine for 120 days. And, even if they do meet the requirements, they can be quarantined overnight depending on the time your flight arrives.

http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/animal-quarantine-information-page/

I think you can live in the lava fields somewhat affordably. I'm actually not kidding when I say that as my sis & her dh talked extensively to some folks who have built small homes there. Of course, there is no running water in the house, no amenities like city garbage pick-up, etc....

http://www.sfgate.com/realestate/article/Lava-land-hot-property-in-Hawaii-3298377.php#photo-2445516

And, I think someone else already mentioned that fresh veggies are quite expensive there.

I wonder what it would be like living in Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands?

Okay, so Florida seems to be out based on humidity. Neither my asthma, nor my hair (I go all tropical island Monica from Friends on a bad day here) can handle too much of it. So any idea on how to move to Hawaii affordably and not make my cats hate me in the process? What areas in Hawaii fit our criteria? I know that there are so many different climate zones in Hawaii.

Oahu and Maui are the most expensive to buy land/houses on.

The big island and Kauai are more affordable, or atleast, that's what we thought when we lived there (on Oahu).

I loved living in Hawaii, and find myself missing it very much- especially during these crappy winters.

Are you planning to stay for a long time and wanting to build community? If so, I would pick another island besides Oahu. Oahu has a ton of military bases, which means lots of transients.

Personally, I loved Kauai, and would have loved to live there- but I've heard the big island is nice too. Oahu was so built up, and so crowded, and the traffic was awful most of the time.... Kauai was sooooo laid back and free of crowds and traffic.

I highly advise renting first, to get a feel for the area- parts of Hawaii have extremely racist people- and they do not like non-Hawaiian people. Like, at all- and they are down right hostile. I don't know how that plays out on other islands- but there were parts of Oahu that we, as soldiers, were not allowed to go to because of the hostility.

There were also areas we had to stay away from because of high crime and drug use.

I would go and visit a few of the islands, look at houses on each- then rent and see how you like it.

Get rid of as many possessions as you can before you leave- it makes it cheaper to move, and places there will be a lot smaller anyways.

Lots of people ship their pets- they'll be fine. I think they knock them out? They'll have to be quarantined upon arrival, but after that, they're good.

I can't imagine it would be easy for your DH to get into real estate there. The agents down there are locals, like their family has been there forever, and know the area really well. They have reputations, etc.

I just know that I knew military spouses who were real estate agents, and they couldn't get into the business there- so they just became SAHM's- which is how I met them :)

Honestly- if my DH didnt have a steady and lucrative job that he could easily find a job in there, I wouldn't even consider moving to Hawaii.

• Like 1

Come on down to the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. ;-)

I would totally consider that, if the immigration laws weren't so tough. :(

Oahu and Maui are the most expensive to buy land/houses on.

The big island and Kauai are more affordable, or atleast, that's what we thought when we lived there (on Oahu).

I loved living in Hawaii, and find myself missing it very much- especially during these crappy winters.

Are you planning to stay for a long time and wanting to build community? If so, I would pick another island besides Oahu. Oahu has a ton of military bases, which means lots of transients.

Personally, I loved Kauai, and would have loved to live there- but I've heard the big island is nice too. Oahu was so built up, and so crowded, and the traffic was awful most of the time.... Kauai was sooooo laid back and free of crowds and traffic.

I highly advise renting first, to get a feel for the area- parts of Hawaii have extremely racist people- and they do not like non-Hawaiian people. Like, at all- and they are down right hostile. I don't know how that plays out on other islands- but there were parts of Oahu that we, as soldiers, were not allowed to go to because of the hostility.

There were also areas we had to stay away from because of high crime and drug use.

I would go and visit a few of the islands, look at houses on each- then rent and see how you like it.

Get rid of as many possessions as you can before you leave- it makes it cheaper to move, and places there will be a lot smaller anyways.

Lots of people ship their pets- they'll be fine. I think they knock them out? They'll have to be quarantined upon arrival, but after that, they're good.

Lots of great info here, thanks! :) Wherever we end up, we plan it to be for life hopefully.  We're really just a bunch of introverts though, so not sure about the building a community thing.

I think you can live in the lava fields somewhat affordably. I'm actually not kidding when I say that as my sis & her dh talked extensively to some folks who have built small homes there. Of course, there is no running water in the house, no amenities like city garbage pick-up, etc....

http://www.sfgate.com/realestate/article/Lava-land-hot-property-in-Hawaii-3298377.php#photo-2445516

And, I think someone else already mentioned that fresh veggies are quite expensive there.

I wonder what it would be like living in Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands?

That really surprises me, I would think that fresh veggies would be more affordable because of the local availability.

I think we're really seriously considering California.  I've heard some good and some not so good things about Oceanside and Carlsbad.

That really surprises me, I would think that fresh veggies would be more affordable because of the local availability.

I think we're really seriously considering California.  I've heard some good and some not so good things about Oceanside and Carlsbad.

Land is expensive and some things aren't grown there at all, they come from the mainland.

While you are in East TN working on saving for a major move, consider moving up. TN mountains are abundant and come with milder summer temps and humidity. 

I could never handle the winters that the mountains get here....really severe with A LOT of snow usually....and I reeeeally hate snow.