Menu

Your thoughts on the Great Homeschool Conventions...

Ellie

My state convention has become more and more conservative making it uncomfortable for some of my friends to attend. These are friends who I think would benefit tremendously from the speakers. It's disappointing to see. We decided to drive to another state to attend a Great Homeschool Convention last year and really enjoyed the variety and depth of speakers. Our local convention was disappointing afterwards. We probably won't attend our state convention again.

I'm looking into GHC since my state conventions's keynote speaker is Ken Ham (I'd put that puking smiley here if smilies worked on my phone). My state seems to think that all homeschoolers are uber-conservative Protestants and I don't want to encourage that thinking with my attendance.

I'm sick with a nasty head cold so I apologize for any incoherence.

I was exhibiting at one of the a Great conventions last year and was surprised by how low attended it was by exhibitors. There was a ton of empty floor space. I def would have been annoyed to have spent extra money to go. I think it was a timing thing though...it was in SC and there was going to be another convention for cheaper in two weeks in the same general area. It was great in the sense of tons of speakers and awesome opportunities to meet icons like MCT and Jim Weiss.

I wasn't impressed but I've been to a lot of different conventions in many areas at this point so I might be a convention snob lol

I've been to the Great Homeschool Convention several times. It's practically in my backyard, though, so it's not a huge commitment of time or effort.

There's definitely a Christian worldview, but it's huge; so even though I'm not particularly interested in hearing about literal creation or modesty (for example). I always find a number of worthwhile workshops.

The exhibit hall was more fun (and expensive) when I was less experienced in homeschooling. New curriculum is less shiny and full of promise to me now. Still, the Rainbow Resource booth is fun and most exhibitors will offer free shipping or a small discount if you order there.

especially if you have been to other conventions. Do you like them? Do you go for the workshops or for the exhibit hall?

Why do you ask?  If you haven't kept up, there was a nasty stuffu a few years ago with Ken Ham, the exhibitors, the Bible curriculum PHP publishes, etc.  Very ugly, offended a lot of people, made great debates here on the board.  At that point KH got the don't come back from GHC, and TTD (Teaching Them Diligently) began.  So in the SC conventions, you have a mess with both convention organizers going to the same general place (Greenville/Spartanburg) to put on conventions very close together.  Doesn't take much to figure out that won't work out well.

On the other hand, I think the grapevine is that the Cincy convention run by GHC is now the largest in the country.  Don't know, just saying that's the grapevine.  It is, indeed, quite large, and it's usually diverse enough to have what most people need.

So you want to vend?  Rep?  Attend?  

If you volunteer at one of the GHC conventions you attend for free.  It's only like a 4 hour chunk you have to volunteer, but then of course you have hotels, parking, food, etc. that all add up, not to mention the money that somehow mysteriously drains from your pocketbook as you walk around the hall.   :lol: 

• Like 3

My state convention is very ultra conservative religious leaning so I'm not comfortable there. I attended the Cincinnati conference once about 8 years ago and was glad to talk with someone at the Memoria Press booth about Classical Rhetoric with Aristotle and implementing it. I met SWB, had a great, long talk with her, and got her autograph in my copy of History of the Ancient World, and attended many of her seminars on high schooling and transcripts, as well as one that was supposed to be about learning disabilities in which the speaker asserted there was no such thing and was so darn offensive, my friend and I got up and left, and then had some good talks with Dr. Wile about teaching high school chemistry, and the necessity of uber sound algebraic skills as the foundation of science studies.

However, I have not had any reason to attend since, and after the Ken Ham Kerfuffle, had no desire to attend conferences organized by religious groups ever again.

Now that I'm in the home stretch with only three more years of homeschooling to go and comfortable with the high school curriculum we use (none of which would be available at these conventions anyway because we use mostly college textbooks, MIT opencourseware, and Great Course lectures to supplement and practice note-taking), I can't imagine going unless of course SWB was the organizer, SpyCar showed up with Ethiopian food, our international homeschooling parents came so we could listen to them talk about the challenges of educating in other cultures and raising multi-cultured kids, and we dedicated a whole portion of the conference to chocolate and GF cheesecake! In this case, I would enthusiastically attend that homeschool conference!

• Like 14

...I can't imagine going unless of course SWB was the organizer, SpyCar showed up with Ethiopian food, our international homeschooling parents came so we could listen to them talk about the challenges of educating in other cultures and raising multi-cultured kids, and we dedicated a whole portion of the conference to chocolate and GF cheesecake! In this case, I would enthusiastically attend that homeschool conference!

*sigh* We can dream, though, right?

• Like 5

I only go to conventions to look at materials and ask vendors questions if I have them.  I have gone to one of the Great Homeschool Conventions 3x, I think, but I never attend workshops.  Unless it was curriculum-specific, I wouldn't have any desire to because I don't care to hear the opinions of other people on how I should do stuff.  I have my own worldview and don't go to a convention to have mine challenged.  LOL  (If my attendance supported something I was really, really against, then I wouldn't attend said convention/conference, but that hasn't come up for me even though I disagree with Ken Ham on a lot.  LOL)

Those aren't close enough for me (and I'm not willing to travel that far for something like that). 

I only went to the small one in Valley Forge with SWB and MCT.  I really enjoyed that.  I also liked getting to look at the books.  That's something I think I'd like about a convention the most because a lot of times the on-line samples aren't enough for me to get a sense for the book and so I end up ordering things almost sight unseen and I don't really like that.  

I'd prefer one where I wouldn't feel too out of place as an atheist.  I don't care that there are some religious elements to it, but if that is all it's about I'm not interested. 

especially if you have been to other conventions. Do you like them? Do you go for the workshops or for the exhibit hall?

I go to the one in Greenville each year.  I do look at the vendors, but I also go for the workshops. There are just barely enough workshops each year that are actually about education to make it worth my while.

The non-education stuff (vendor related mostly) is irritating but it is what it is.  For the most part the workshops there are well attended.

This year will be my last time to attend, sniff. :crying:

Georgia

I recently attended the Great Homeschool Convention for the first time and I thought the speakers were fabulous.  There were so many more choices than my local homeschool convention.   Some of the speaker included:  Michael Clay Thompson, Dr. Perrin, Andrew Kern, Dr. Kathy Koch, Andrew Pudewa, Dr. Wile, Denise Eide, Michael Gurian and Ed Zaccaro.  I would recommend visiting their website to see if the speakers are of any interest to you. I didn't spend a lot of time in the exhibit hall, but there seemed to be plenty of vendors.  However, it was great to get to see MCT language arts in person. 

Speaker wise, it's the best in California. The exhibitors hall felt a little empty, but I think it's because they were in such a big space. I went their first year, when they were in Long Beach. I hope that over time, as their reputation builds, the empty spaces will fill.

• Like 2

Why do you ask?  If you haven't kept up, there was a nasty stuffu a few years ago with Ken Ham, the exhibitors, the Bible curriculum PHP publishes, etc.  Very ugly, offended a lot of people, made great debates here on the board.  At that point KH got the don't come back from GHC, and TTD (Teaching Them Diligently) began.  So in the SC conventions, you have a mess with both convention organizers going to the same general place (Greenville/Spartanburg) to put on conventions very close together.  Doesn't take much to figure out that won't work out well.

On the other hand, I think the grapevine is that the Cincy convention run by GHC is now the largest in the country.  Don't know, just saying that's the grapevine.  It is, indeed, quite large, and it's usually diverse enough to have what most people need.

So you want to vend?  Rep?  Attend?  

If you volunteer at one of the GHC conventions you attend for free.  It's only like a 4 hour chunk you have to volunteer, but then of course you have hotels, parking, food, etc. that all add up, not to mention the money that somehow mysteriously drains from your pocketbook as you walk around the hall.   :lol: 

I went to the first one in Texas a couple of weekends ago, and wondered if others had the same thoughts I did. 

Yes, of course, I have kept up :-) 

There's some talk of inviting GHC to Austin next year. Texas is large enough that it wouldn't be physically close to any other convention; I think there's still time to make an uninvite.

I went to the first one in Texas a couple of weekends ago, and wondered if others had the same thoughts I did. 

There's some talk of inviting GHC to Austin next year. Texas is large enough that it wouldn't be physically close to any other convention; I think there's still time to make an uninvite.

So I take it your impression was not favorable? I would be very interested  to hear more. I just  realized the  one in SC is coming up and I  was thinking  of going although it would  be quite a commitment. 

So I take it your impression was not favorable? I would be very interested  to hear more. I just  realized the  one in SC is coming up and I  was thinking  of going although it would  be quite a commitment. 

Well, kind of.

Of all the workshops, only two or three of them were workshops on actual homeschooling (one by Cathy Duffy, who discussed the different philosophies such as Classical or Charlotte Mason; one by a new statewide Texas group, in which an award was given to Jessica Hulcey, and the legalities of homeschooling in Texas was discussed). The rest were all parenting or family workshops, all presented by people who had written books of some kind. None of the workshop presenters were local, experienced homeschoolers, the ones who could give practical, useful advice on actual homeschool issues (you see my bias showing through).

The exhibit hall seemed to be pretty decent; Rainbow Resource wasn't there, so no Saxon or Easy Grammar or Writing Strands or all those other products that are ever popular.

I was annoyed with the GHC website; finding the actual street address of the convention center was difficult (I finally found it on the exhibitor page), and an actual grid-like schedule.

• Like 2

I'm going to the one in South Carolina.  DH and my boys will be staying with the in-laws who live nearby, and I will be basking in my first kid-free vacation in 6 years.   :thumbup:

Ellie,

I've never been to a local (MI) convention, but from the blurbs they have sent me, I get the impression they are all heavily religious.  Also, they are all quite small and limited compared to a GHC.

I went to Cincy last year.  My eldest was going to be a kindergartner and I had lots of ideas and lots of questions.   Mostly I went for the speakers and info sessions.  I didn't necessarily think all of the information would be directly applicable to a kindergartner, but seeing some of the materials I might want to use in the upcoming years showed me the direction I wanted to start heading, and that was reassuring.

I did spend a couple hours perusing the vendor hall, but I only ended up spending a couple bucks.  Mostly I enjoyed looking through the materials and talking to the vendors.  Obviously, there were some vendors (and speakers) who I had no interest in, but with a convention that big that is really inevitable...and not necessarily a bad thing.

Overall, I enjoyed the convention a lot, and am thrilled that I have the opportunity to attend a GHC again this year.

Wendy

Of all the workshops, only two or three of them were workshops on actual homeschooling (one by Cathy Duffy, who discussed the different philosophies such as Classical or Charlotte Mason; one by a new statewide Texas group, in which an award was given to Jessica Hulcey, and the legalities of homeschooling in Texas was discussed). The rest were all parenting or family workshops, all presented by people who had written books of some kind. None of the workshop presenters were local, experienced homeschoolers, the ones who could give practical, useful advice on actual homeschool issues (you see my bias showing through).

I didn't find this to be a problem in Cincy last year.  There seemed to be many sessions in each time slot that dealt with home schooling as opposed to parenting or religion.  Here is a sample of sessions that will run this year in Greenville (Saturday morning from 8:30 to 9:30am):

- KIRK MARTIN Men Only: I Want to be a Good Dad & Husband! (Celebrate Calm)

- SEAN MCDOWELL, PhD Why the New Testament Can be Trusted

- MICHAEL GURIAN The Wonder of Boys: Protecting the Emotional Lives of Our Sons (Michael Gurian and The Gurian Institute)

- KATHY KUHL Fractions, Decimals & Percents: Hands-on Methods to Master Concepts (Learn Differently)

- LAURA HOUSE Learn to Read and Write with PAL (IEW)

- CATHY DUFFY Classical Education, Unit Study, Charlotte Mason, Unschooling? What Approach Should I Use? (Cathy Duffy)

- DALE GAMACHE Searching for Subject Matter To Teach In a Co-op That Is Fun, Cultural, Easy to Teach and Effective? La Clase Divertida Is Your Answer!

- TIMOTHY SHOEMAKER Helping Reluctant Dads Lead Effective Family Devotions (Timothy Shoemaker, Author, Speaker)

- CAROL BURTON Beginning Reading: Less Stress, More Success! (Burton Reading)

- TERRY WILFONG College Admissions, Applications, Financing and Success for Students and Parents (College Ticket in Partnership with College Options Foundation)

- LINDA LACOUR HOBAR Unleashing the Power of World History (The Mystery of History)

- STEVE LAMBERT You CAN Do Unit Study (Five in a Row)

- BOB BRIGHT Servant Leadership (National Beta Club)

- SARITA HOLZMANN One More Chapter, Please! Develop Life-long Readers and Ignite a Fire to Learn (Sonlight Curriculum)

- PAT WESOLOWSKI Ready to Launch: Preparing Teens for Life After High School (Bryan College)

I would call the ones I bolded actual homeschool talks (plus perhaps the one on college admissions).  So that is 8 or 9 sessions out of 15 for that time slot.

Wendy

• Like 2

I've never been to a GHC, but I'm just reading through the thread out of curiosity and I wouldn't consider any workshop that is 'sponsored' by a certain curriculum company to fall under the general homeschooling category.  I consider those to be more 'selling our curriculum' or 'how to use our curriculum'.  (Which takes the list above down to only about 2)

GHC is really religious, right?  Our state one can be, too, but I'm sticking with it because I'm hoping that through the years of going and remaining involved, I can bring another perspective onto their radar.  Kind of a 'change from the inside' type thing, even though I can't say I'm trying to 'change' it - just open up their thinking a little more, beyond just the uber-conservative set.  (There's still plenty at our state convention for the non-religious homeschooler, though, too, IMO.)

• Like 1

I was there! So sad I didn't know! We should have had a WTM meet up!!!!

Well, kind of.

The exhibit hall seemed to be pretty decent; Rainbow Resource wasn't there, so no Saxon or Easy Grammar or Writing Strands or all those other products that are ever popular.

I was annoyed with the GHC website; finding the actual street address of the convention center was difficult (I finally found it on the exhibitor page), and an actual grid-like schedule.

I'm confused, but I'm pretty sure I disagree. While I do see a lot of carp, looking at the website I ALSO see:

Adam Andrews, a PHENOMENAL speaker, who gives nuts and bolts talks on teaching literature. Current homeschooler.

Andrew Kern - a workshop about Socratic Discussion. Current homeschooler.

A workshop about using cooking as a vehicle for learning

A workshop about the new SAT

Multiple workshops for struggling learners (some by homeschool parents) and several for gifted learners (Shelagh Gallagher)

Janice Campbell - Excellence in Lit author, with several interesting possibilities (4 to be exact), not about her curric. Homeschooler

Martin Cothran - Memoria Press, classical ed speaker, not about lifestyle. Former homeschooler - I think.

Brian Wasko - workshops about teaching writing, not about their service. Former homeschooler.

A workshop on teaching history with primary documents.

I consider these to be relevant to me as a homeschooler.

I would be sad not to see Rainbow Resource, but they do come to the one in SC so maybe next year.

Please elaborate on the un-invite comment.

Georgia

• Like 2

I love GHC. I was in SC the year of the big happening, and I've been back some. Teach Them Diligently moved to Atlanta this year, which is much closer, but I am still going to GHC. Someday I'll go to Cincy, but we always go to Ohio later in April. I hate the thought of driving there 2 weeks apart.

I've been so swamped at work I didn't even know there was one in TX. huh.

Anyway, dh and I would be interested if the emphasis were on academics, especially successfully home educating a high schooler, and/or college (i.e., SAT, ACT, SAT II tests, financial aid, etc) from which to choose. We are not at all interested in lifestyle or religious workshops. We have a priest for the latter and are definitely NOT the target audience for the former.

So, if GHC could actually live up to its name and be *primarily* about homeschooling we might attend, depending on cost. Like a pp I don't appreciate commercials dressed up as workshops.

Well, kind of.

Per the bolded part above:

Wow. I feel like we attended different conventions! I could not disagree with you more.

DH and I both attended talks all three days off the convention and didn't attend a single one on parenting.

I was so thankful there were so many sessions on homeschooling - and very, very few on parenting. More importantly, I was excited to see special needs and 2e education addressed at a homeschool convention, beyond the basics of dyslexia/ADHD.

DH and I attended talks by:

Kathy Kuhl (great speaker -  I had read one of her books prior to attending, after finding out her sister-in-law posts here!)

Dr. Christopher Perrin

Andrew Kern

Adam Andrews

Martin Cothran

Andrew Pudewa

Dr. Carol Reynolds (have also seen her speak at local CM meeting)

Steve Lambert (Five in a Row guy)

Ed Zaccaro

Dr. Selagh Gallagher (her talk on 2e education was incredible!)

Michael Clay Thompson (I have used his material the past five years and have always wanted to hear him speak. Attended two sessions - poetics and literature - both incredible!)

My DH also attened a few talks on college, but I do not know who the speakers were.

The classical education unplugged session was educational, entertaining and inspiring. I especially loved Cothran's comments on classical education with a special needs child and hunted him down afterward to tell him personally how much his comments meant to me.

My only disappointment for the weekend was that Cheryl Swope was ill and unable to attend.

I talked with Kathy Kuhl for a bit at her booth and was near tears talking with her about my child's unique learning issues.  Speaking with her - and attending Dr. Gallagher's 2e talk - really encouraged me that homeschooling our child IS the best option. Both of their sessions offered practical advice, not just inspiration and encouragment.

Prior to attending GHC in Texas -

1.) I attended Arlington the first few years of homeschooling, but haven't attended in years because it didn't offer anything I wanted or needed.

2.) We traveled to The Woodlands a few years ago - specifically to hear SWB. Loved hearing her!

Per the part in italic:

It was at the FW convention center. I am not sure why the convention center/name on the website wasn't made into a link that took one directly to Google maps. But they may have assumed one could easily pull up a map to the convention center. You don't need the address to pull up directions, as typing in "Fort Worth Convention Center" will readily pull up a map, directions and the address.

• Like 2

Per the bolded part above:

Wow. I feel like we attended different conventions! I could not disagree with you more.

DH and I both attended talks all three days off the convention and didn't attend a single one on parenting.

I was so thankful there were so many sessions on homeschooling - and very, very few on parenting. More importantly, I was excited to see special needs and 2e education addressed at a homeschool convention, beyond the basics of dyslexia/ADHD.

DH and I attended talks by:

Kathy Kuhl (great speaker -  I had read one of her books prior to attending, after finding out her sister-in-law posts here!)

Dr. Christopher Perrin

Andrew Kern

Adam Andrews

Martin Cothran

Andrew Pudewa

Dr. Carol Reynolds (have also seen her speak at local CM meeting)

Steve Lambert (Five in a Row guy)

Ed Zaccaro

Dr. Selagh Gallagher (her talk on 2e education was incredible!)

Michael Clay Thompson (I have used his material the past five years and have always wanted to hear him speak. Attended two sessions - poetics and literature - both incredible!)

My DH also attened a few talks on college, but I do not know who the speakers were.

The classical education unplugged session was educational, entertaining and inspiring. I especially loved Cothran's comments on classical education with a special needs child and hunted him down afterward to tell him personally how much his comments meant to me.

My only disappointment for the weekend was that Cheryl Swope was ill and unable to attend.

I talked with Kathy Kuhl for a bit at her booth and was near tears talking with her about my child's unique learning issues.  Speaking with her - and attending Dr. Gallagher's 2e talk - really encouraged me that homeschooling our child IS the best option. Both of their sessions offered practical advice, not just inspiration and encouragment.

Prior to attending GHC in Texas -

1.) I attended Arlington the first few years of homeschooling, but haven't attended in years because it didn't offer anything I wanted or needed.

2.) We traveled to The Woodlands a few years ago - specifically to hear SWB. Loved hearing her!

:iagree:  with all of this. I was in Fort Worth as well and pleasantly surprised at the variety of topics on actually homeschooling. Sure there was the parenting, religious tracks, but there were so many great speakers on different aspects of homeschooling that I actually had to decide between two or three different options that looked intriguing.

And I agree about the Classical Homeschooling panels! They were so wonderful!

We totally should have had a WTM meet up since it seems a lot of us were there.

I can't imagine going unless of course SWB was the organizer, SpyCar showed up with Ethiopian food, our international homeschooling parents came so we could listen to them talk about the challenges of educating in other cultures and raising multi-cultured kids, and we dedicated a whole portion of the conference to chocolate and GF cheesecake! In this case, I would enthusiastically attend that homeschool conference!

:driving:

I'm on my way.

I didn't find this to be a problem in Cincy last year.  There seemed to be many sessions in each time slot that dealt with home schooling as opposed to parenting or religion.  Here is a sample of sessions that will run this year in Greenville (Saturday morning from 8:30 to 9:30am):

- KIRK MARTIN Men Only: I Want to be a Good Dad & Husband! (Celebrate Calm)

- SEAN MCDOWELL, PhD Why the New Testament Can be Trusted

- MICHAEL GURIAN The Wonder of Boys: Protecting the Emotional Lives of Our Sons (Michael Gurian and The Gurian Institute)

- KATHY KUHL Fractions, Decimals & Percents: Hands-on Methods to Master Concepts (Learn Differently)

- LAURA HOUSE Learn to Read and Write with PAL (IEW)

- CATHY DUFFY Classical Education, Unit Study, Charlotte Mason, Unschooling? What Approach Should I Use? (Cathy Duffy)

- DALE GAMACHE Searching for Subject Matter To Teach In a Co-op That Is Fun, Cultural, Easy to Teach and Effective? La Clase Divertida Is Your Answer!

- TIMOTHY SHOEMAKER Helping Reluctant Dads Lead Effective Family Devotions (Timothy Shoemaker, Author, Speaker)

- CAROL BURTON Beginning Reading: Less Stress, More Success! (Burton Reading)

- TERRY WILFONG College Admissions, Applications, Financing and Success for Students and Parents (College Ticket in Partnership with College Options Foundation)

- LINDA LACOUR HOBAR Unleashing the Power of World History (The Mystery of History)

- STEVE LAMBERT You CAN Do Unit Study (Five in a Row)

- BOB BRIGHT Servant Leadership (National Beta Club)

- SARITA HOLZMANN One More Chapter, Please! Develop Life-long Readers and Ignite a Fire to Learn (Sonlight Curriculum)

- PAT WESOLOWSKI Ready to Launch: Preparing Teens for Life After High School (Bryan College)

I would call the ones I bolded actual homeschool talks (plus perhaps the one on college admissions).  So that is 8 or 9 sessions out of 15 for that time slot.

Wendy

See, the ones I highlighted in red are all presented by authors/publishers, pretty much promoting their product or service. I don't know who Sean McDowell is, but I would guess he has also written a book which discusses why the new Testament can be trusted. All of the presenters are also exhibitors. Cathy Duffy's workshop is probably the most useful for homeschoolers, and I want more like hers.

Where are the workshops which discuss what to do with the littles while you're teaching the olders? the ones which explain why most children learn better with phonics than with sight reading? the ones which explain the differences between spiral and mastery, between traditional and process math? the ones which discuss record keeping (both legal and for your own self-edification)? and all of them from a point of view which does not endorse one product over another but gives a true overview?

If I were still homeschooling, I would attend because of the exhibit hall, not the workshops, which isn't a bad thing; having so many products in one place, where you can pick them up and look at every page and imagine yourself doing/using whatever it is, is worth the money.

I don't know how much input the locals have who invite GHC into their communities, but I will be asking questions. 

• Like 1

I've never been to a GHC, but I'm just reading through the thread out of curiosity and I wouldn't consider any workshop that is 'sponsored' by a certain curriculum company to fall under the general homeschooling category.  I consider those to be more 'selling our curriculum' or 'how to use our curriculum'.  (Which takes the list above down to only about 2)

GHC is really religious, right?  Our state one can be, too, but I'm sticking with it because I'm hoping that through the years of going and remaining involved, I can bring another perspective onto their radar.  Kind of a 'change from the inside' type thing, even though I can't say I'm trying to 'change' it - just open up their thinking a little more, beyond just the uber-conservative set.  (There's still plenty at our state convention for the non-religious homeschooler, though, too, IMO.)

ITA with you.

If you look at the biographies of the workshop presenters, you will see that most of them are also exhibitors.

If most people seem to enjoy GHC, then I would be on board with inviting GHC to Austin at some time in the future. That the workshops don't float my boat only mean that they don't float my boat; the object is to have something that other people find helpful. ;-) 

• Like 1

The price of GHC attendance is low because vendors are charged quite a bit.  OF COURSE the workshops are vendors.  They've paid tons to get a booth and be there, and speaking in workshops drives up their sales.  There are some vendors who do parenting and whatnot type talks.  Carol Reynolds does informative talks.  Tom (??) of VideoText does math talks that help anyone.  Most vendors try to give an informative talk that would benefit anyone and then at the end plug their stuff. There is another convention that focuses on the *home* part of homeschooling, but it's not well-attended, never was in our area even when it was close to us, and took a huge beating when GHC started.  Clearly the market it with GHC.

It was an unbelievable thing when our convention options went from telling us how to raise our families to actually having workshops with answers on how to DO the school part of your homeschooling.  You can go to a GHC convention and at any hour, for any level/year of your homeschooling, find workshops that will be informative and useful, INCLUDING HIGH SCHOOL and learning disabilities.  In Cincy they'll have close to 20 sessions running at once!  You literally can hardly choose, there are so many helpful sessions. That's why it has resonated with people, because they acknowledged we needed help with the SCHOOL part of homeschooling.  And for the people who really feel they want that sort of counter-cultural, parachurch, homeschooling as a vision for your family thing, the other conventions are still there.  But that's not what GHC is.

Are you saying you're on a board and GHC is in discussions about coming to your area?  The real question is how they'll interact with your local/state conventions, because the local ones may take a big beating.  GHC is run for profit and they run a seamless, effective program.  I'm guessing if they're trying to expand again they'll be fine.  

• Like 2

The price of GHC attendance is low because vendors are charged quite a bit.  OF COURSE the workshops are vendors.  They've paid tons to get a booth and be there, and speaking in workshops drives up their sales.  There are some vendors who do parenting and whatnot type talks.  Carol Reynolds does informative talks.  Tom (??) of VideoText does math talks that help anyone.  Most vendors try to give an informative talk that would benefit anyone and then at the end plug their stuff. There is another convention that focuses on the *home* part of homeschooling, but it's not well-attended, never was in our area even when it was close to us, and took a huge beating when GHC started.  Clearly the market it with GHC.

It was an unbelievable thing when our convention options went from telling us how to raise our families to actually having workshops with answers on how to DO the school part of your homeschooling.  You can go to a GHC convention and at any hour, for any level/year of your homeschooling, find workshops that will be informative and useful, INCLUDING HIGH SCHOOL and learning disabilities.  In Cincy they'll have close to 20 sessions running at once!  You literally can hardly choose, there are so many helpful sessions. That's why it has resonated with people, because they acknowledged we needed help with the SCHOOL part of homeschooling.  And for the people who really feel they want that sort of counter-cultural, parachurch, homeschooling as a vision for your family thing, the other conventions are still there.  But that's not what GHC is.

Are you saying you're on a board and GHC is in discussions about coming to your area?  The real question is how they'll interact with your local/state conventions, because the local ones may take a big beating.  GHC is run for profit and they run a seamless, effective program.  I'm guessing if they're trying to expand again they'll be fine.  

I have a different opinion about how the workshops can be presented, but that's ok. :-)

I'm on an advisory board of a group, the board of which is discussing the possibility of GHC's coming to my area. Our state is big enough that there shouldn't be any problems (there's no convention in my area at this time, and the other two are 300 miles away in each direction).

The price of GHC attendance is low because vendors are charged quite a bit. OF COURSE the workshops are vendors. They've paid tons to get a booth and be there, and speaking in workshops drives up their sales. There are some vendors who do parenting and whatnot type talks. Carol Reynolds does informative talks. Tom (??) of VideoText does math talks that help anyone. Most vendors try to give an informative talk that would benefit anyone and then at the end plug their stuff. There is another convention that focuses on the *home* part of homeschooling, but it's not well-attended, never was in our area even when it was close to us, and took a huge beating when GHC started. Clearly the market it with GHC.

It was an unbelievable thing when our convention options went from telling us how to raise our families to actually having workshops with answers on how to DO the school part of your homeschooling. You can go to a GHC convention and at any hour, for any level/year of your homeschooling, find workshops that will be informative and useful, INCLUDING HIGH SCHOOL and learning disabilities. In Cincy they'll have close to 20 sessions running at once! You literally can hardly choose, there are so many helpful sessions. That's why it has resonated with people, because they acknowledged we needed help with the SCHOOL part of homeschooling. And for the people who really feel they want that sort of counter-cultural, parachurch, homeschooling as a vision for your family thing, the other conventions are still there. But that's not what GHC is.

Are you saying you're on a board and GHC is in discussions about coming to your area? The real question is how they'll interact with your local/state conventions, because the local ones may take a big beating. GHC is run for profit and they run a seamless, effective program. I'm guessing if they're trying to expand again they'll be fine.

I just counted sessions at Fort Worth. There were generally between 15 and 19 sessions at one time. As you said with Cincy, there were talks on a wide range of topics every single time slot. It was nearly impossible at times to decide which one to go to, as so many sounded wonderful!

I don't have an issue with publishers speaking at a convention. Yes, I have attended sessions at Arlington where I got up and walked out because it was nothing more than a sales pitch. But I didn't see or hear any of that at Fort Worth. In fact, Steve Lambert didn't even have a product at his booth, as far as I could tell. I was not able to attend any of his sessions, but I did buy a recording of one of his sessions. He mentions what company he is with, but that wasn't even the focus or drive of his talk. It was about being your child's favorite teacher. I have listened to it twice now, as it is so powerful. It was all about building relationships with your child. Not using his product.

I would add the same for Kathy Kuhl, since her name was highlighted above as a speaker with published products. She never tried to sell her product during the session I attended. I did buy her latest book, but I had planned on buying prior to attending her session. But she went through the book and found where she answered one of my concerns and marked the passage for me. I appreciated that she would do that.

Likewise, I had a question for One speaker about getting college accommodations and she found the passage in her book and told me to take a picture of that paragraph, rather than buying a book I didn't need quiet yet.

I attended workshops from 330 Thursday to 330 Saturday and didn't encounter any that were a sales pitch or that I would say were not applicable to our homeschool journey. It was so refreshing to see so many new vendors and speakers come to this area!

The bigger question would be: Is there a market for two GHC in Texas? I would think they would want to expand into other areas of the country prior to having two in one state, especially considering relatively short travel distance between San Antonio/Austin to DFW. (Makes a nice long weekend destination.)

• Like 4

I just counted sessions at Fort Worth. There were generally between 15 and 19 sessions at one time. As you said with Cincy, there were talks on a wide range of topics every single time slot. It was nearly impossible at times to decide which one to go to, as so many sounded wonderful!

I don't have an issue with publishers speaking at a convention. Yes, I have attended sessions at Arlington where I got up and walked out because it was nothing more than a sales pitch. But I didn't see or hear any of that at Fort Worth. In fact, Steve Lambert didn't even have a product at his booth, as far as I could tell. I was not able to attend any of his sessions, but I did buy a recording of one of his sessions. He mentions what company he is with, but that wasn't even the focus or drive of his talk. It was about being your child's favorite teacher. I have listened to it twice now, as it is so powerful. It was all about building relationships with your child. Not using his product.

I would add the same for Kathy Kuhl, since her name was highlighted above as a speaker with published products. She never tried to sell her product during the session I attended. I did buy her latest book, but I had planned on buying prior to attending her session. But she went through the book and found where she answered one of my concerns and marked the passage for me. I appreciated that she would do that.

Likewise, I had a question for One speaker about getting college accommodations and she found the passage in her book and told me to take a picture of that paragraph, rather than buying a book I didn't need quiet yet.

I attended workshops from 330 Thursday to 330 Saturday and didn't encounter any that were a sales pitch or that I would say were not applicable to our homeschool journey. It was so refreshing to see so many new vendors and speakers come to this area!

The bigger question would be: Is there a market for two GHC in Texas? I would think they would want to expand into other areas of the country prior to having two in one state, especially considering relatively short travel distance between San Antonio/Austin to DFW. (Makes a nice long weekend destination.)

It is not that the presenters are making actual sales pitches. It is that people will go to their booths just because of the workshops. But that's water under the bridge, because it is what it is and I just have to get used to it. :-)

It is my understanding that there would not be two GHC events in Texas, but only one in the Austin area. There's already the Arlington event, the San Antonio event, and the Woodlands event. And it might not come to Texas again at all. However, I'm only on the periphery of the discussions, so I don't know all the details. FTR, as a comparison, there are conventions/expos in California in San Diego, Anaheim area, Modesto, and Sacramento (I think the S.F. Bay convention is gone, but there was one there, too, for many years), plus a couple more. So having a convention in Austin shouldn't be an issue.

Ellie, I know you are still active in the homeschool community, though your children are now grown. I don't know when you graduated your last child or what products were available then. I have a close friend that has homeschooled 25 years now and I am always shocked at how much she has said has changed. I have seen a lot of change myself just in the past ten years.

I think the thing that appeals to the new generation of homeschoolers about the GHC is that they bring in the big names they are already familiar with: Martin Cothran from Memoria Press, MCT from Royal Fireworks, etc. The families are already using their products, they want to meet the face behind the name! Attending the session is not a sales pitch, but finally hearing the voice behind their history program or their Latin curriculum. They also want academic talks, not parenting talks or tips on frugal housekeeping. People are no longer homeschooling for religious or hippie reasons. They want talks on academics, why poetics are important when we have to get supper on the table and the laundry is piled up, on how to teach Latin (and being a publisher of a Latin program does give one a certain level of expertise), how and why to teach a 2e at home when you are always banging your head against a wall, etc.

• Like 5

It is not that the presenters are making actual sales pitches. It is that people will go to their booths just because of the workshops. But that's water under the bridge, because it is what it is and I just have to get used to it. :-)

It is my understanding that there would not be two GHC events in Texas, but only one in the Austin area. There's already the Arlington event, the San Antonio event, and the Woodlands event. And it might not come to Texas again at all. However, I'm only on the periphery of the discussions, so I don't know all the details. FTR, as a comparison, there are conventions/expos in California in San Diego, Anaheim area, Modesto, and Sacramento (I think the S.F. Bay convention is gone, but there was one there, too, for many years), plus a couple more. So having a convention in Austin shouldn't be an issue.

It is my understanding that the GHC has already announced they will be returning to Fort Worth next year. Are you saying otherwise?

Texas traffic is getting bad, but it is still an easy trip up 35 between San Antonio and Dallas area, especially compared to California traffic.

It is my understanding that the GHC has already announced they will be returning to Fort Worth next year. Are you saying otherwise?

Texas traffic is getting bad, but it is still an easy trip up 35 between San Antonio and Dallas area, especially compared to California traffic.

No, I'm not saying otherwise. I am saying that I am on the periphery of the group that is discussing things with GHC, and I could be totally off. :-)

I still think (and I am not the only one) that Texas could easily support a large convention in the middle of the state, plus Houston, plus Arlington, plus San Antonio.

• Like 1

No, I'm not saying otherwise. I am saying that I am on the periphery of the group that is discussing things with GHC, and I could be totally off. :-)

I still think (and I am not the only one) that Texas could easily support a large convention in the middle of the state, plus Houston, plus Arlington, plus San Antonio.

Oh, I do agree that Texas could support a large convention in the middle of the state. But I think that we can support - and need - a large one in the northern part of the state. Arlington isn't it. Or it hasn't been it. Time will tell if it has been revamped and improved enough to be considered a 'big' convention. But the old Arlington convention certainly wasn't big, by any stretch. Yes, attendance was high. But they never had any big name vendors or speakers.

• Like 1

Handling the speakers and noting which one was basically a 45 minute infomercial and which ones were actual speakers was one area that I think HEAV handled well.  If the session was about the curriculum (how to use/why to use) they were specifically marked and otherwise the speakers were only allowed to mention their booths/products the last 5 minutes or something of their sessions. It was very clear which ones were to learn more about a specific curriculum and which ones were  actual information homeschooling talks by an expert who just happened to publish a program. 

For example, Adam Andrews (CenterforLit) is listed and he is an amazing speaker. Yes, he does have a product you can buy but I got so much out of hearing him speak I would see him again. Lots of great information that you can actually take and put into practice Monday without buying a thing. Likewise, Sarita Holzmann spoke and never mentioned Sonlight in her hour session; however, I wasn't very impressed with her as a speaker. 

It seems like GHC could benefit from distinguishing between the sales pitches and actual informational sessions. 

On the other hand, it looks like what you're looking for is the local in the trenches mom to do a session on what works for her. I went to one like that last year. I think the best/only way to do something like that is on a much smaller scale then these  national conventions. I will agree it was really helpful to hear about what works from moms who have been doing it for  10+ years and I enjoyed it. I hope you're able to coordinate something that works for you! 

• Like 1

I went to FW GHC and enjoyed it.  It was enjoyable to hear so many classical people.  I like hear the people who wrote curriculum.  It will reinforces my choice, or let me know not to buy it.  I must admit when I am looking at speakers, I look at what they have done, company, education, etc.  I don't really mind an infomercial on curriculum.  I'd prefer that than how to run my home or my marriage.  Homeschooling is changing.  There are many reasons for hsing, religion, unable to afford private school, academic excellence, special needs, unique family lifestyles and etc.  I get tired of people trying to put us in one box.  (Sorry, it's my soap box.  Many people in my area hs because they can't afford private christian school, we have many private christian schools in our town.  They have a tendency to put everyone in that camp.)

I was tired of the Arlington Book Fair.  I was tired of the kids EVERYWHERE.  I was not able to look at products in the vendor hall, because so many kids where just hanging out there.  They had nothing for the kids to do, but kids were allowed to come.  Many were well behave, but some were not.  I had stopped going, because of the kids and I there wasn't any new speakers I wanted to hear.  Plus many of their speakers were addressing religious and family matters.  I must admit I don't think I really even looked at their website the last year or two.  I was really glad GHC came and had something for the kids.  I was able to bring my kid and have something for him to do.  I am glad THSC is going to have something for kids.  When they add some workshops on academics I'll make the determination whether to go.  Right now, most workshops listed are religious and home related.

• Like 2

Does anyone else find that they mark their programs but then end up hearing someone completely different? I'll sit in on something mostly because my feet hurt and then end up staying with them the rest of the convention! I've found more gems that way... 

I'm so glad to hear that someone else does this.  I thought maybe I was the only one.  Last year I accidently discovered Kathy Koch and ended up just following her around to different rooms the rest of the conference.  I guess I was a groupie.

I've been going to the GHC in Cincy since the very first year when it was at the church (I'm pretty sure it wasn't called GHC back then though).  I love the conference and honestly have sat in very few sessions that I would consider "duds".  I love the variety available each hour and honestly I usually have trouble finding a hour to go to the exhibit hall when I won't be missing something I would like to hear.  

Of course, my love for the convention is probably encouraged because it's the only time of the year I'm completely on my own for a few days.  It ends up being my vacation for the year so the conference could be a total bust and I would still just enjoy it because I'm by myself and can eat, sleep and do what I want to do :)

I usually avoid the sessions that are obviously created to sell product.  Those are usually pretty easy to spot if you read the descriptions of the sessions.  In most of the sessions I've attended, there is only a mention at the end of the booth number.

• Like 2

I had the opportunity to go once...I really enjoyed it...I went for the speakers...I met SWB, Andrew Kern, Jim Weiss, Martin Cothran, Andrew Pudewa, Christopher Perrin, MCT, and so many others...

I wish I could go again this year, but they are too far from me, and we can't afford to travel at this point...I really wish I could go...

• Like 1

Now that I'm in the home stretch with only three more years of homeschooling to go and comfortable with the high school curriculum we use (none of which would be available at these conventions anyway because we use mostly college textbooks, MIT opencourseware, and Great Course lectures to supplement and practice note-taking), I can't imagine going unless of course SWB was the organizer, SpyCar showed up with Ethiopian food, our international homeschooling parents came so we could listen to them talk about the challenges of educating in other cultures and raising multi-cultured kids, and we dedicated a whole portion of the conference to chocolate and GF cheesecake! In this case, I would enthusiastically attend that homeschool conference!

So who is going to organize this?!?  Sounds perfect!

• Like 1

I plan on attending the GHC. I am aware of the affiliation of the speakers and I plan on attending the workshops based on those affiliations. I plan on using some stuff from veritas press, possibly zaccaro (in the future), the lost tools of writing, CAP and a few others. I want to know their companies philosophy and how they recommend teaching. If I'm using your product a lecture on how to teach it would be helpful. I want them to try and sell me on their product, tell me why your product is better than the rest of them out there. Also I want to talk to the reps. I love the look of MCT language arts but I have some concerns. Rather than looking online I think it will be great to be able to talk to him myself about the concerns I have. Of course the reps will be pushing their product and I realize that but I feel I will be better equip at buying the stuff I want after going to the workshops. The parenting workshops are good too because, well, I am a parent :) I'm also a Christian parent so those workshops appeal to me also. It's $50 for me and my husband, 15-20 min drive, free parking and my mom will watch the kids. Why wouldn't I go?

• Like 2

Handling the speakers and noting which one was basically a 45 minute infomercial and which ones were actual speakers was one area that I think HEAV handled well.  If the session was about the curriculum (how to use/why to use) they were specifically marked and otherwise the speakers were only allowed to mention their booths/products the last 5 minutes or something of their sessions. It was very clear which ones were to learn more about a specific curriculum and which ones were  actual information homeschooling talks by an expert who just happened to publish a program. 

For example, Adam Andrews (CenterforLit) is listed and he is an amazing speaker. Yes, he does have a product you can buy but I got so much out of hearing him speak I would see him again. Lots of great information that you can actually take and put into practice Monday without buying a thing. Likewise, Sarita Holzmann spoke and never mentioned Sonlight in her hour session; however, I wasn't very impressed with her as a speaker. 

It seems like GHC could benefit from distinguishing between the sales pitches and actual informational sessions. 

On the other hand, it looks like what you're looking for is the local in the trenches mom to do a session on what works for her. I went to one like that last year. I think the best/only way to do something like that is on a much smaller scale then these  national conventions. I will agree it was really helpful to hear about what works from moms who have been doing it for  10+ years and I enjoyed it. I hope you're able to coordinate something that works for you! 

I agree that just because someone is an exhibitor does not mean that their talk is only an infomercial for their product.  I had been part of a local non-sectarian conference for many years ... as an attendee, as a vendor and as a speaker.  The organizers of this conference were very insistent that the talks had to be educational, not commercial.  Those who wanted to talk about their products had to pay extra to do exhibitor workshops, which went on during the lunch hours.  When I spoke, it was about homeschooling-related topics based upon my research and experience, not about the books I sold in the vendor hall.  I may have used a few of my products to illustrate something I was talking about, but I also used other materials.  Often, I would go around to the other exhibitors and see if they had products that would fit into my talks and they were very happy to lend them to me.  Plus, I used our local library. I wanted to show people that succeeding at homeschooling was not about buying a certain curriculum, but about teaching and engaging the students.  It was about the people, not the products. 

I do have a problem with the idea that one has to have an impressive pedigree in order to be a valuable speaker.  Our local conference has shrunk due to this trend ... people are only interested in hearing from someone who has published something because that seems to give them more credibility. Experienced local presenters were pushed out of the way for the big names.  That is a disturbing trend in all of society - the reliance on "experts" rather than reliance on experience.  The other thing that has spelled the demise of local conferences was the down-turn in the economy, which meant that vendors had to reduce the number of conferences they went to and ended up choosing the larger for-profit ones.  Smaller vendor halls meant smaller attendance.  There are very few options for people who want a non-sectarian experience.

See, the ones I highlighted in red are all presented by authors/publishers, pretty much promoting their product or service. I don't know who Sean McDowell is, but I would guess he has also written a book which discusses why the new Testament can be trusted. All of the presenters are also exhibitors. Cathy Duffy's workshop is probably the most useful for homeschoolers, and I want more like hers.

Where are the workshops which discuss what to do with the littles while you're teaching the olders? the ones which explain why most children learn better with phonics than with sight reading? the ones which explain the differences between spiral and mastery, between traditional and process math? the ones which discuss record keeping (both legal and for your own self-edification)? and all of them from a point of view which does not endorse one product over another but gives a true overview?

If I were still homeschooling, I would attend because of the exhibit hall, not the workshops, which isn't a bad thing; having so many products in one place, where you can pick them up and look at every page and imagine yourself doing/using whatever it is, is worth the money.

I don't know how much input the locals have who invite GHC into their communities, but I will be asking questions. 

I have heard talks about little ones while teaching at CHEA and for me I didn't use any of the information. I did end up finding information on that on a blog though :) . I think the difference between spiral, mastery, traditional, conceptual math and teaching styles (ie classical, traditional, charlotte mason) would be better suited for newbie homeschoolers. We have only been homeschooling 1 1/2 years and I already know the difference between all of that. 

• Like 1

I plan on attending the GHC. I am aware of the affiliation of the speakers and I plan on attending the workshops based on those affiliations. I plan on using some stuff from veritas press, possibly zaccaro (in the future), the lost tools of writing, CAP and a few others. I want to know their companies philosophy and how they recommend teaching. If I'm using your product a lecture on how to teach it would be helpful. I want them to try and sell me on their product, tell me why your product is better than the rest of them out there. Also I want to talk to the reps. I love the look of MCT language arts but I have some concerns. Rather than looking online I think it will be great to be able to talk to him myself about the concerns I have. Of course the reps will be pushing their product and I realize that but I feel I will be better equip at buying the stuff I want after going to the workshops. The parenting workshops are good too because, well, I am a parent :) I'm also a Christian parent so those workshops appeal to me also. It's $50 for me and my husband, 15-20 min drive, free parking and my mom will watch the kids. Why wouldn't I go?

If I lived 15-20 mins away, I would definitely go...It would be more like a 10 hour drive and a hotel stay for me to go...

I have heard talks about little ones while teaching at CHEA and for me I didn't use any of the information. I did end up finding information on that on a blog though :) . I think the difference between spiral, mastery, traditional, conceptual math and teaching styles (ie classical, traditional, charlotte mason) would be better suited for newbie homeschoolers. We have only been homeschooling 1 1/2 years and I already know the difference between all of that. 

Well, that would be the point, that there needs to be more practical information for newbie homeschoolers, don't you think?

• Like 1

I have a different opinion about how the workshops can be presented, but that's ok. :-)

I'm on an advisory board of a group, the board of which is discussing the possibility of GHC's coming to my area. Our state is big enough that there shouldn't be any problems (there's no convention in my area at this time, and the other two are 300 miles away in each direction).

What do you mean by this?  Honestly, in our state the old timers (people who used Konos, who innovated where there WAS NO curriculum, etc.) who ran the state org fought GHC.  They lost in the marketplace.  I think if your org has a vision for something, you write into the contract that you get a primo booth every year and 3 free workshops a day to run them, kwim?  That way your group gets your vision but you get the help of a very successful, well-done convention structure.  

I'm just telling you I've watched volunteers put in countless, countless hours into conventions and things still seem harried and this and that.  Then you get GHC, who are professionals at this (they organize for other big events) and they just nail it.  SWB was their big draw their first year, and when we asked her why she decided to come to this (then) fledgling, nothing convention, she said it was because of their hutzpah, that they just really seemed to have it together.  Now they didn't do some things well (like they forgot FOOD!), but they figured it out.  And they grew.  Because they have a formula that is appealing to a lot of people.

What I don't like to see, and what I think really frustrates people, is that people get on some board but are veterans, out of touch with how others are homeschooling, and then they get lost in this whole parachurch thing where the homeschool convention is about telling you how to live your spiritual life.  I think it's FABULOUS for that to be there.  I WANT those speakers there (unlike some people).  But I also really, really need the school part, kwim?  And I think a lot of people feel that way, like they really just plain need help with the school part.

So I think if your group has a vision/mission and they can accomplish it with a contractual arrangement, it's really wise.  Our state org refused to and their convention was decimated.  I think our state org should have done just what I'm saying, but they got all huffy and didn't want to.  Fine, but there are consequences to things.  You can have your vision, but people speak with their wallets.  I have attended every year of the Cincy convention and the growth has been unreal.  People fly in from Colorado and farther.  They bring their families and vacation for a week and do all the awesome things in the city.  They're doing this because GHC made a convention WORTH flying in for.

So I say it again.  Figure out what you want and arrange it contractually and do it now.  If you *don't* all that is going to happen is GHC comes anyway.  At that point you're left paying for your own tables, and let's just say you'll be paying through the nose.  (booths are expensive!)

Btw, I'm not meaning to offend you, just saying it straight the way I see it.

• Like 2