Menu

What do you use for spelling?

I used Apples and Pears, which I loved for my weak speller particularly. It teaches 3 or 4 spelling rules that work every single time. It teaches kids to "chunk" words into morphemes. It helps with visualizing the word due to repetition, which my weak speller needed. I like it, because it's the way I think natural spellers tend to spell. There is also built in dictation, work with homophones, and similar things. It's surely too much for a natural speller, though I used it with one. My son with spelling issues improved significantly. We're using Spelling Power now. It also seems to be pretty good for visualization. I haven't used it long enough to know for sure, but it seems like it's working well here.

I have recently gone over to Sequential Spelling for both my 7yo and 8yo. The 7 yo is about at a late first grade level and the 8 yo is around early 3rd grade. They do it together and so far it has worked. The older of course gets more of the spelling words right on the first try but the younger is keeping up and I think the process of this program makes it possible to teach two different age kids at once b/c it isnt about getting the spelling right on the first try, it's learning from mistakes. Also as a busy single parent it's awesome to be able to get two kids spelling covered in one lesson! :)

You asked for different.

I don't use a program anymore. The boys are reasonable spellers, provided they have interest in the words, use the words frequently in sentences of their own construction and copy them enough. The interest in the words and frequency of use was a problem, so I started this year having them pick their words from whatever literature selection we are using for writing during the week. They highlight them from the text, copy them into their notebook and they copy them daily. We spend one day on the study of these words and their meanings, synonyms, antonyms, etc. Two days we spend using the words in original sentences. I test on the fourth day.

So far the response has been positive, and they seem to go out of their way to make the words useful in their own compositions. Very seldom do they misspell them on either the test or in their writing. I've been doing this for about four months now, and spelling has gone from being a chore to pretty easy for me. They use the dictionary voluntarily now for words they want to figure out from what they are reading, because it isn't a big, scary book anymore. Their sentences are now remarkably improved in complexity, and they seem to go out of their way to use their new words in their own writing. I've been very pleased.

• Like 1

I used Abeka with DD until she was in, I think, 7th grade level and then I stopped formal spelling.  I would pull words out that she misspelled in her seatwork and we worked on those.  She has a natural ability to spell.

My boys I have tried a few things, but the only thing that really worked, especially for my middle was Apples and Pears. 

We used Words Their Way - I was hoping that that hands on sorting would suit DD10, who is a bit more of a hands-on learner. It's ok....but it's not really sticking. It took a lot of work to get it working in a way that I was happy with, and this is what we ended up with:

Day 1: Pre-test

Day 2: Sort words into groups, discuss spelling patterns and rules, copy words into book

Day 3: Either copy words, or colour the spelling pattern in printed bubble words

Day 4: Worksheet on using words in a sentence

Day 5: Test

Like I said, it's not really sticking, and I have a suspicion that just repeated copying would actually achieve the same thing. That, coupled with a current independent do-it-by-myself attitude, means we are dropping it, and switching to an Aussie workbook for spelling.

My DD13 is just copying out about 5-6 words she mis-spells anywhere in her school work. Simple simple simple and it's working.

My daughter did a few of my spelling rules, studying language Spelling Bee words, then straight to middle school words in Natural Speller, occasionally I would explain the rule, the book is a nice list but skimpy on rules.

My son uses Spelling Plus, it focuses on the most common 1,000 words by arranged by pattern and rules are handily included. I taught my daughter the same type of thing that was in this book at the lower levels, but she did not need as much practice, just an occasional mention of things at the k-6 grade word level. For my son, I use the book because he needs a bit more explicit and repeated spelling work and the book is nicely organized.

Spelling is my nemesis. I am an excellent speller and my 8yo is not. I tried a wide variety with my older ds in elementary, and ended up using Apples Daily Spelling Drills for Secondary Students in Junior High. That worked like a charm with him. We had been through Abeka, BJU, and Rod & Staff with no success.

With my 8yo, I have tried R&S, Spelling Workout, and Building Spelling Skills to no avail. I just purchased AAS to see if it works for her.

My older son is a natural speller with a spelling bee hobby. We use a few of the less outrageously expensive products from www.hexco.com. Etymanotes, Verbomania (bought used), the supplements and Bee Prepared. He also is using ebooks for various source languages. And reading this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1494936941/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My younger son seems to have caught the bee bug so we will just keep to our spelling bee prep routine- hosting spelling club, reading a ton of books, playing a lot of word games and practicing for the spelling bee with homemade flash cards, spelling binders and word lists.

For my DD who seems to naturally grasp spelling, Spelling by Sound and Structure. For my DS who has spelling issues we used Apples and Pears this year (I DON'T KNOW WHY IT WORKS BUT IT WORKS). I love it. We will go through each book and he doesn't complain and he is improving. We have done Spalding as well and it is very solid. However, we moved internationally during the year and I needed something that was not so teacher intensive. 

Another vote for Spelling Power (big orange book).  What sold me was the pretests & only practicing the words you don't know.  My kids finished the 12th grade lists in 9th grade, so we called spelling 'done'.  I didn't follow the instructions in the book to a 'T', but the word lists were perfect.  

We have been using Heart of Dakota the last few years and there are studied dictations in the back of the guide they use for spelling. It has been great for my ds, he is a natural speller. My dd on the other hand takes after me so she needs a little more help there.

For my dd9, I use Apples & Pears.  (For those who wonder why it works, it works b/c it builds visual memory AND phonetic thinking in a morphemic context.)

For my boys, 12yo dyslexic and 8yo (probable) dyslexic, I use the 1919 Pearson.  I reformatted it in cursive worktext, and added phonogram work.  I rely heavily on visualization, but go at a slower pace than Apples & Pears.  My 12yo couldn't keep the A&P pace...and my 8yo needed cursive in spelling or no cursive at all so I chose cursive in spelling.  (He is not a pencil-lover, and needs one uniform handwriting all the way through his schoolwork, and you can't get around the printing in A&P.)  You can find my reformatted version linked in my siggie.  Essentials in Spelling Grade 2 is complete.  Grades 3 and 4 will be done by the end of summer.